Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I assume

Reveal hidden contents

both of Randall's dads die in this one? I have to say I expected it as soon as I saw Randall and William going on a roadtrip in the promo.

NO.   

Spoiler

Just William; but that was enough. 

Also caught up with last weeks episode, and while It wasn't the greatest, I did enjoy It.

What can I say the hug got me. Up until new ex-wife, I really loved Kevins story & trajectory. So for me It was an episode I was Invested In. And Jacks breathe face holding came back In an emotional way this week.

Plus the flashback fight I think was a believable scenario. But Jack alone with a burger and drink Is nothing but trouble.

I'm a complete idiot for starting to watch this show with William's storyline.

Spoiler

His trouble with getting out of bed in the morning because his joints were too stiif was a punch to the gut in its familiarity.  

I have taken it for granted for a while that it would be William and Jack in the same episode, which would have been hard, but it could have possibly been like ripping the bandage off. This just prolongs it. Are they going to get to Jack in the season finale? Maybe they pushed off his death until next season, although I find that difficult to believe.

This was an excellent episode, really. The flashbacks were extremely well done, covering a lot with great effect. And Randall was just so typically and wonderfully Randall in meeting his extended biological family. You get a cousin, and you get a cousin. Everybody gets a cousin! I also really appreciated William paying his respects to Jack.

I don't think I've said it before, but Jermel Nakia is a terrific choice for young William. He matches both Ron Cephas Jones' physicality and soulfulness, and he is honest to God exceptional in this role. I see that his IMDb credits list is short and hope it grows. They also cast some really cute kids for little William here.

So, these are two episodes in a row showing Jack's two sons learning how to help the people they love by following in his footsteps. Is it Kate's turn for something like this next week?

• Love 1

The casting is spectacular, especially the flashbacks. I totally believe that those younger actors could become the older actors. I don't know if they are watching tapes back, but they've got the mannerisms the spirit of the characters synchronized across generations. I also think both actors that play Kevin & Randall have Jack's mannerisms down, almost as if they were raised by Jack.

That moment by the tree gutted me. That's when I knew.

Spoiler

This episode made me really mad at Rebecca again. Seeing who William once was and knowing who he is now - it was so painful to know that he could have been a parof Randall's life sooner. I understood her fears when Randall was a child, but I really wish we reconsidered once Randall had grown.

All of this is making me really anxious that they are really troubling and sad times ahead for the Pearsons post Jack's death. Because perhaps Rebecca feared she would completely lose Randall. 

I'm so connected to this show, but it really does cause such an emotional rollercoaster, I wish I didn't love it so much.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, kismet said:

I'm so connected to this show, but it really does cause such an emotional rollercoaster, I wish I didn't love it so much.

I watched the pilot, recognized it was a really well written and acted show and then noped my way out.  I just can't handle the rollercoaster.  

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I watched the pilot, recognized it was a really well written and acted show and then noped my way out.  I just can't handle the rollercoaster.  

There are so few quality dramas on network TV that are not criminal justice or political that I felt compelled to keep up with it. It may be emotional but at least is human emotion. And most importantly for all the sad emotion, they give a healthy dose of happier emotions. So many shows linger too much in the darkness these days.

I totally respect your decision to bail out. I'm content with my decision to stay. I just buy more tissues now & hydrate on Tues nights :)

• Love 3

Regarding Grimm:

43 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

This final season actually has been pretty fun and good.  Last year and the year before...not so much.  

My problem is that Nadalind is the NOTPist NOTP that I have ever NOTPed.  I just absolutely cannot.  So as far as I'm concerned, the show was sadly cancelled after 4.13 Trial by Fire.  

What happened after that? Juliette learned to control her hexenbeistness and she and Nick got married and lived happily ever after.  Adalind never got pregnant with Nick's baby and she got together with either Meissner or Renard and lived her version of happily ever after with baby Diana who did not magically speedgrow.  Mama Kelly Burkhardt is still alive and she and Sean's mother have formed a tentative peace over baby Diana, and possibly a dangerous alliance.  And the trailer was never burned, but the resources did eventually get moved to a more secure location.

Lol.  Have I missed anything? :)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Regarding Grimm:

My problem is that Nadalind is the NOTPist NOTP that I have ever NOTPed.  I just absolutely cannot.  So as far as I'm concerned, the show was sadly cancelled after 4.13 Trial by Fire.  

I don't care about Nick's love life. Actually I don't care about any of their love lives. I actually don't like Monroe/Rosalie because I think they ruined Monroe's character to prop up that relationship.

In any case, as much as I don't care who is sleeping with whom. I much prefer Adiland in any capacity to Juliette/Eve, at least Claire Coffee can act. Bitsie Tulloch might as well be a 2x4 for all the range she doesn't have.

• Love 2

I liked Monroe/Rosalie.  And I agree that Claire Coffee is the better actress of the two, but I absolutely cannot get past the rape.  Just..hell no.  

But I always liked Juliette, personally.  I mean, I agree that Bitsie Tulloch is not the strongest actress, but I liked the character anyway.  I quit watching before Eve came on the scene though.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

And I agree that Claire Coffee is the better actress of the two, but I absolutely cannot get past the rape.  Just..hell no.  

Same here. I've only been a casual viewer of Grimm for a few seasons now, but it seems to me that they're acting like the rape just didn't happen? I haven't seen every episode though, so maybe I'm wrong. 

It's definitely one of those shows that needs to end sooner rather than later, and I'm glad it's not going to be going another season. 

47 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Same here. I've only been a casual viewer of Grimm for a few seasons now, but it seems to me that they're acting like the rape just didn't happen? I haven't seen every episode though, so maybe I'm wrong. 

It's definitely one of those shows that needs to end sooner rather than later, and I'm glad it's not going to be going another season. 

They explained it away as something that Adelind did when she was an evil Hexinbeast.  She lost her powers and went good just like Juliette got powers and went bad. (Ignoring that Adelind had previously lost her powers and stayed evil that time just like they are ignoring that she has her powers back now and remains good, lol.)

I will say that this season I've liked Eve and I've liked the Child that aged fast and has magic glowing purple eyes and occasionally kills people.  It should be the worst of all tropes and it started that way, but I quite like her now.  But that may be because she just recently spoke about missing her other mother, Kelly, and wondering where she was.  :(  Eve looked properly guilty.

I wasn't someone that disliked Juliette, I actually liked her and Nick but when they made her go bad, they made her do things so unforgivable that no matter the rehab they give her character, I just can't forget enough to ever want her back with Nick...even if they have managed to make me like Eve.  

1 hour ago, jay741982 said:

In other news I was glad to see Star and Lethal Weapon got season 2 renewals! 

I don't really know how I feel about Star. I think the actors are good. I enjoy the music. I enjoy that they push some limits. But overall, the storylines are just so wow. Like it punches a lot of drama into an hour episode. Glad it got renewed :)

That being said, I do think a season 2 is needed to help resolve some of these plots - there is no way they could finish it in whatever episodes remain. I'm assuming its only a few. My only other criticism is that I wish it was more about the music and less about the drama, or at least a little more balanced. Some eps could use a little more music.

Edited by kismet
2 minutes ago, kismet said:

I don't really know how I feel about Star. I think the actors are good. I enjoy the music. I enjoy that they push some limits. But overall, the storylines are just so wow. Like it punches a lot of drama into an hour episode. Glad it got renewed :)

That being said, I do think a season 2 is needed to help resolve some of these plots - there is no way they could finish it in whatever episodes remain. I'm assuming its only a few. My only other criticism is that I wish it was more about the music and less about the drama, or at least a little more balanced. Some eps could use a little more music.

Agreed. I think they need to work on things but I'm liking the show. I think Star needs to be a bit more likeable. I also think she's a bit trifling even thinking of screwing Jahil cause he just looks lecherous lol and he screwed her mother and Carlotta back in the day. Never mind the gorgeous girl who's currently screwing him on the show . 

• Love 1

@LeighAn Guru of all things Gossip Girl

Was fandom ever worried they'd make Serena sleep with Chuck? Cuz everybody slept with pretty much everyone else I was pleasantly surprised they didn't go there! 

Was it always intended that Dan was GG? Cuz I thought they totally made that up at the end! 

From memory there were Chuck/Serena shippers but I don't think people lived in fear of it happening too much. 

I'm pretty sure they made up Dan being GG at the last minute as well as they wanted it to be a cool twist for the finale. Too many things didn't add up for it to be him and since Gossip Girl basically ruined most of the characters lives they really should have stopped talking to him.

I had this theory -unproven- though in the later seasons that the writers were trying to Chuck Bass Dan. Chuck was probably the most popular male character but the writers loved Dan and so they took elements of what made people love Chuck and gave them to Dan. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I had this theory -unproven- though in the later seasons that the writers were trying to Chuck Bass Dan. Chuck was probably the most popular male character but the writers loved Dan and so they took elements of what made people love Chuck and gave them to Dan. 

I've seen this done in other shows.  One of the worst things they can do.  Only makes me despise the poser more.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Was it always intended that Dan was GG? Cuz I thought they totally made that up at the end! 

No, they made it up during the last episodes. I know GG sucked for the most part but that decision and reuniting Serena/Dan reunited the show for me. Now, every time I see GG, I am like, "Ugh". 

Anyone watching Oscars tonight or rooting for a Specific Film or Actor/Actress to win? I'd like to see Emma Stone pick up her first Oscar as I think she's awesome but I haven't seen La La Land yet. Same with Ryan Gosling. Any predictions?

• Love 1

I've seen Hidden Figures it's amazing!! Definitely want to watch LaLaLand, Fences, Moonlight, & Manchester-by-the-Sea. Just not enough time or budget.

I'm rooting for Hidden Figures because it was amazing and showed a powerful message. Although a lot of those did I guess this year.

My guesses for the big ones are -

Film - LaLaLand

Actor - Denzel from Fences

Actress - Emma Stone

S. Actor - Mahershala Ali from Moonlight

S. Actress - Viola Davis from Fences

Animated - Zootopia

Guesses - I'm not really rooting for anyone. I think this is a very deserving group of nominees from what I've heard, so everyone who wins is probably deserving. Happy for them all.

25 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Lol, I'm not sure if I've managed to see any of the movies up for an Oscar and yet, yep, I'll probably be watching and feeling guilty over what I still need to see.  

I've seen Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, and ZooTopia. Wanting to check out Moonlight, Lion, La La Land, Fences, Hidden Figures , and Nocturnal Animals. Not sure about Manchester By the Sea.

24 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I've seen La La Land and Hidden Figures. Highly recommend both, amazing films. 

I was going to see Manchester by the Sea but then I read about Casey Affleck and nope.

Good to hear that La La Land and Hidden Figures keep getting Praise I can't see them until they are on DVD and Blu-Ray sadly. What went on with Casey Affleck? I hear he's the favorite for Best actor though im rooting for Denzel and Ryan Gosling 

One prediction right, 5 more to go :)

Suicide Squad won for Make-Up - YAY for DC!

Also the "Power of the Make-Up" - anyone else get Olicity Vibes.

Glad for Colleen Atwood, those costumes were fabulous in Fantastic Beasts. Also another Flarrowverse Alumni. Her costumes were so good, don't know why they mess with them.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

On a Shallow note Emma Stone is looking sexy goregous. Kate McKinnon is looking good too

3 minutes ago, kismet said:

One prediction right, 5 more to go :)

Suicide Squad won for Make-Up - YAY for DC!

Also the "Power of the Make-Up" - anyone else get Olicity Vibes.

Glad for Colleen Atwood, those costumes were fabulous in Fantastic Beasts. Also another Flarrowverse Alumni. Her costumes were so good, don't know why they mess with them.

Saw you got Supporting actor correct. I hear he's amazing in the film 

7 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

On a Shallow note Emma Stone is looking sexy goregous. Kate McKinnon is looking good too

Saw you got Supporting actor correct. I hear he's amazing in the film 

Thx, I wasn't trying to be attention getting. Just excited to get one right. I was horrible at my predictions last year. I went with heart & not evidence. I have heard wonderful things about him in the movie. I always thought he was talented in House of Cards & Mockingjay.

Emma is looking good. It might be her night.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, kismet said:

Thx, I wasn't trying to be attention getting. Just excited to get one right. I was horrible at my predictions last year. I went with heart & not evidence. I have heard wonderful things about him in the movie. I always thought he was talented in House of Cards & Mockingjay.

I hope it's her night! MaHershla Ali was in Mockingjay? Did not notice

16 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

I hope it's her night! MaHershla Ali was in Mockingjay? Did not notice

He was the Commander Boggs who gives Katniss the special gadget and dies in the alley trying to help save his team. He's the one that trusted her. I didn't know his name at the time, but I whispered to my friend in the theater "hey its the guy from house of cards". I'm glad I know his name now.

Edited by kismet
his name
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jay741982 said:

I've seen Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, and ZooTopia. Wanting to check out Moonlight, Lion, La La Land, Fences, Hidden Figures , and Nocturnal Animals. Not sure about Manchester By the Sea.

Good to hear that La La Land and Hidden Figures keep getting Praise I can't see them until they are on DVD and Blu-Ray sadly. What went on with Casey Affleck? I hear he's the favorite for Best actor though im rooting for Denzel and Ryan Gosling 

He is sexually harassed two female employees and then paid them off to buy silence after they took him to court. If you look up the articles about it, it was just the standard sexual harrassment either it was the showing his genitals and creeping into their beds when they were sleeping sexual harrassment.

I really hope Hollywood doesn't give him an Oscar but this is the same community who praises Roman Polanski and believes he's been hard done by, who admitted to having sexual intercourse with a 12 year old, and who celebrates Woody Allen who had sexual relations and then married his adopted daughter. So yeah not putting much faith in them.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, kismet said:

He was the Commander Boggs who gives Katniss the special gadget and dies in the alley trying to help save his team. He's the one that trusted her. I didn't know his name at the time, but I whispered to my friend in the theater "hey its the guy from house of cards". I'm glad I know his name now.

I think I know who you are talking about thats cool!.

21 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

He is sexually harassed two female employees and then paid them off to buy silence after they took him to court. If you look up the articles about it, it was just the standard sexual harrassment either it was the showing his genitals and creeping into their beds when they were sleeping sexual harrassment.

I really hope Hollywood doesn't give him an Oscar but this is the same community who praises Roman Polanski and believes he's been hard done by, who admitted to having sexual intercourse with a 12 year old, and who celebrates Woody Allen who had sexual relations and then married his adopted daughter. So yeah not putting much faith in them.

Ugh he sounds like a creep to put it mildly . Yeah I remember hearing about the Roman Polanski stuff and that's gross him getting backed like that. Well like I said im Hoping Denzel or Ryan gets the Oscar 

That bit with the tourists worked out better than I thought it would. I honestly thought it would flop, but I was highly amused during the entire thing once they actually arrived.

Not sure I enjoyed the candy drop. I give them creativity on the parachutes (although a little too Hunger Games, now that I think about it). I think the feeding the crowds at award shows is getting a little cliche.

I usually love Jimmy Kimmel's post-oscar show. But I feel like he is floundering a little in the main gig. I'm just not feeling all of his funny. A lot of it is hitting flat.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kismet said:

This OJ documentary is astounding, I recommend it. It aired on ESPN. It really devels into so many social issues. It's deeper than just OJ. Give it a view :)

Indeed it is amazing.  Everybody go get the DVD/Blu, it's well worth it.

3 hours ago, kismet said:

There's a time when Emma Stone doesn't look good?

I learned about Casey's harassment after I saw Manchester.  I did think it was excellent, and he was excellent in it, though I was rooting for Denzel to upset specifically due to Casey's actions.  For anyone who wants to still see it but is feeling conflicted, my only advice would be to either borrow the dvd from someone you know, check to see if you can watch it on Amazon Prime, or just wait for Casey to either apologize or for it to be on tv.   If you really want to see it there are many ways. 

The way Moonlight won was crappy but I'm so happy it did!  It really was excellent and, to those who haven't seen it, get thee to a theater!

37 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Plot twist - my favorite movie of the year, Moonlight, won Best Picture. I'm so happy for the entire cast. Well deserved. 

I saw that stage guy with the headset run out and grab the red card and knew there was a twist coming up.  But you have to feel for both casts. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I didn't watch. What happened with Moolight winning and La La Land losing?

LLL was announced as having won. Everyone goes up and starts making their speeches, then a big kerfuffle, and it turns out Moonlight had actually won. It was awkward.

Apparently, Warren Beatty had been given the Best Actress card which said Emma Stone, LLL. He was confused and showed it to Faye Dunaway who just read off LLL. 

• Love 1

To make it worse, the actual award category, Best Actress In A Leading Role in this case, was printed in teeny tiny type at the bottom of the card.  So, Warren saw large font Emma Stone, got confused, showed it to Faye for assistance, she saw almost as large font La La Land, read it aloud, and everything spiraled from there.  I think it's safe to say that the winner and category will both be in large, clear font from this point forward.

• Love 1