Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

51 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

*Shrugs* I just don't have the same sensitivity as you, guys. For me, race is just something I don't even notice unless there's something seriously wrong and obvious about its handling (like I noticed on TVD - not here, I think they have a very diverse cast, gender- and race-wise). Maybe that's just me not being from US or anywhere close. Our understanding and handling of race issues is quite different from yours.

Personally speaking, I guess I'm more sensitive because I've been affected by it. But YMMV.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Does everyone get ads to click to other sites at the bottom of this page?  I'm always struck by how overwhelmingly white everyone in the ads is. 

I think I saw click bait showing the cast of the Fresh Prince a few times.  (See what they look like now!!!)  

• Love 1

I'm glad ESPN finally released OJ: Made in America on DVD/Blu.  It took way too long, and Amazon is already having an impossible time keeping both versions of it in stock.  There's a regular 5 part version, and there's also a theatrical version (it was released in limited cinemas).  I was able to find it at Wal Mart thankfully.  I encourage everybody to watch it, but a warning to everybody, they show uncensored crime scene photos, including of Nicole and Ron, and they play a couple of Nicole's 911 calls.  The 911 calls are downright chilling.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ComicFan777 said:

Yeah, it was a long time ago, so I don't remember all the details.  The He-man cartoons were created solely to sell the toys, so many concerned parents had accused the manufacturer that these toys and cartoons (basically toy commercials) encouraged violent behavior.  To combat these claims, storylines were crafted around lessons/morals of the day.  Also, the psychologist advised that He-man only punch objects/robots and not people - instead they had him do the grapple attack on people by grabbing around their shoulders to discourage violence.

I think the GI Joe cartoon was made to sell toys too. They also tried to soften the reality of violence (because it was a cartoon about being in the military, ffs) by making sure everyone only fired laser weapons, and any time something blew up, the occupants were always shown bailing out to safety just in time. 

The 80s were an interesting time to grow up.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Voltron aired in early 80s ('84 or '85). Pretty sure Power Rangers were in the early to mid '90s.

If anything Power Rangers copied Voltron since they had different colored flight suits. LOL

This. I spit on Power Rangers when it's cheesy, live action knock off showed up.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I'm glad ESPN finally released OJ: Made in America on DVD/Blu.  It took way too long, and Amazon is already having an impossible time keeping both versions of it in stock.  There's a regular 5 part version, and there's also a theatrical version (it was released in limited cinemas).  I was able to find it at Wal Mart thankfully.  I encourage everybody to watch it, but a warning to everybody, they show uncensored crime scene photos, including of Nicole and Ron, and they play a couple of Nicole's 911 calls.  The 911 calls are downright chilling.

I have to admit I feel bad that I really don't know much about the OJ case apart from that he was found innocent  of a murder that popular assumption was that he was guilty of and that race was played and Kim Karadashians dad was his lawyer. I feel like there's a whole part of entertainment sports history I've missed. Mainly because I was 5 or 6 at the time.

But my dad watched this and he said it was really thorough so I'm curious. 

23 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

This. I spit on Power Rangers when it's cheesy, live action knock off showed up.  

I wonder if it holds up? Sadly, Robotech and Star Blazers did not hold up over time. 

The other show, that I loved as a kid was Dungeons and Dragons. I cannot find that cartoon anywhere. 

Ohhh, I just found some on YouTube. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Technically Power Rangers is based on Super Sentai which came before GoLion (which Voltron was based on), so the knock-off might be on the other foot...

(Sorry, coming from a family of Power Rangers-obsessors)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I wonder if it holds up? Sadly, Robotech and Star Blazers did not hold up over time. 

The other show, that I loved as a kid was Dungeons and Dragons. I cannot find that cartoon anywhere. 

Ohhh, I just found some on YouTube. 

I remember Dungeons and Dragons!!  I don't think it lasted too long but I always wondered if they ever made it home, lol.

I have some of the Voltron cartoons on DVD but the way they were played, with a "Now we return to Voltron, Defender of the Universe!"  style bumper every 5-8 minutes, I had a hard time watching.  Some of it (most of it) was so super cheesy and repetitive, but I could still tell what I saw in it as a kid.   Ahem, Keith and Princess Allura.  I was such a shipper even really young.  But I had a formula.  She had to be smart and not just a damsel.  I got hooked on Voltron when she took over as pilot of the Blue Lion.  I dressed my Barbie up as Allura.  Even made a crown, lol.  

I remember watching the first iteration of Robotech just for the romance.  I mean Voltron kinda sorta hinted at stuff but Robotech actually had people KISSING!  OMG!!!  But I switched my ships' because the first girl was just a spokesmodel/singer while the other one helped pilot the ship.  

Really it all started with Thundarr the Barbarian.  Thundarr and Princess Ariel shared the same tent  (scandal!!) but what I really liked was that she was the smartest one of the trio of heroes.  (It was between a barbarian and a knock off wookie but still...) 

53 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Well, no one I knew including me could ever get into Voltron, so to each their own.

Shipping is a gateway into a lot.  :)  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, way2interested said:

Technically Power Rangers is based on Super Sentai which came before GoLion (which Voltron was based on), so the knock-off might be on the other foot...

(Sorry, coming from a family of Power Rangers-obsessors)

It's all an iteration on something. I just remember being offended when it came on that they'd taken the exact same suit colors from Voltron and how similar the premice of the robot forming was and it pissed me off when kids I knew were flipping out over that for Power Rangers when they hadn't paid any attention when Voltron had already been doing it for years. (I wasn't impressed by the Transformers either but I still watched, at least until they messed with Optimus Prime) 

I took my cartoon loyalties seriously, lol.  

1 minute ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

*coughKeith/Alluracough*

I confess, I've kept track of the rebooted series that have come along to see how things are still going for them.  One of my earliest OTP.  Hahahahahaha.   

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

That's funny.  From what very little I've picked up about the fandom for the new Voltron Netflix series, it sounds like Klance (Keith/Lance) is the major ship, and Allura is more likely to be paired with Shiro (Shallura). 

I should say I've TRIED to keep up with the new stuff.  But I'm behind by a show.  I only recently heard it's rebooted (again) now on Netflix, but it sounds like almost a different show.  I assumed that Shiro was meant to equal Sven from the  version I'd seen as a kid (who had to get injured and shipped off so the Princess could step in- he's supposed to be with Allura's cousin!  I sound like a threatened comic book fan, lol) so that tracked but I hear Allura is some kind of shape shifting ancient being from another dimension?  

Edited by BkWurm1
55 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I should say I've TRIED to keep up with the new stuff.  But I'm behind by a show.  I only recently heard it's on Netflix now but it sounds like almost a different show.  I assumed that Shiro was meant to equal Sven from the  version I'd seen as a kid (who had to get injured and shipped off so the Princess could step in) so that tracked but I hear Allura is some kind of shape shifting ancient being from another dimension?  

Um.  I was bored and bingewatched the series over a few hours, and I never watched the original, so....

But no, that's not quite accurate I don't think.  Allura was put in stasis by her father to keep her safe, so technically she's ancient but...not really.  And she's just from another planet, not another dimension.  She does have some limited shape shifting abilities, but she's no Mystique.  

Shiro is older than the other three boys - early to mid 20s I think.  Keith, Lance, and Hunk are upper teens, and I think Pidge (who is voiced by Bex Taylor-Klaus) is about 14.

There's no Sven, but there is Coran, who is an advisor to Allura and who is kind of the comic relief character.

I should add - regardless of what the fandom is doing, there really isn't any canon ship at this point.  Maybe some Shallura hints if you're wearing shipping glasses, and probably also based on that those two (and Coran) tend to come across as the only adults in the group. But whatever shipping is going in the fandom is sheer fan interpretation at this point.  Nothing is canon.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, way2interested said:

Well, no one I knew including me could ever get into Voltron, so to each their own.

It was a joke. ?

I imagine a lot of it comes down to the age you were when the shows aired. I grew up on Voltron, as a kid it was amazing.  I haven't watched it as an adult but, I imagine it doesn't hold up. 

However, who knows, with all 3 Japanese imports there were some very heavy stories that probably didn't resonate that much when I was a kid. I just can't get past some of the cheese (Minmei on Robotech drives me nuts) and, the sexisim is hard to swollow.

The nostalgia factor is always high when it comes to stuff from our childhood but, objectionably as adults we can see the flaws.

I'm sure, now that your an adult you can see and admit the flaws of Power Rangers. It was a massively cheesy show, bad acting, horrible dialogue, cheesy effects, etc. It won't change the nostalgia factor any more than listening to Minmei sing changed mine for Robotech, Voltron or Star Blazers (really loved that one as a kid, couldn't make it past the first few episodes as an adult).

Shipping is a gateway into a lot

Not everything is about a ship. ?  I liked the robot lions, the big Robot Voltron and that the Princess was out there fighting to protect her people instead of hiding in a castle while the men were the heroes.

Yes, they played up the Allura/Keith romance in the show, especially that one episode with the bridge and the ocean. However, that wasn't why I liked Voltron. Also, I only liked the Lion Voltron. I hated when they went to the 20 billion stupid cars in space Voltron.

• Love 2

Greg Berlanti's new series, Riverdale, is looking more and more like a cross between Dawson's Creek and Veronica Mars - but not in a good way...

New ‘Riverdale’ promo highlights start of Betty-Veronica rivalry
Michael Logarta   December 19, 2016 4:03pm
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/592990/lifestyle/artandculture/new-riverdale-promo-highlights-start-of-betty-veronica-rivalry

The show’s official synopsis gives us a very different Archie story. It starts by saying that Riverdale is “reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom.”

It then goes on to explain that Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) has come upon an important realization: just like hundreds of thousands of teenagers in the world, he wants to become a musician! Such a sensitive soul. So sensitive, in fact, that it drove him into the loving arms of Ms. Grundy (Sarah Habel), who is no longer a grey-haired old lady but a young, presumably hot music teacher. For all of you out there with a teacher fetish, prepare to be disappointed: it seems Archie has already ended that “forbidden relationship” by the show’s start, for reasons the synopsis didn’t care to elaborate on.
Then you’ve got Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart), who’s crushing on Archie but “not quite ready to reveal her true feelings,” and whose nerves are “hardly soothed by her overbearing mother Alice.” It’s almost like the premise is setting Betty up for “Carrie”-style shenanigans.

Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes) is new to town and Riverdale High School. She probably knows some magic because her mother is named Hermione. Maybe Veronica was doing more than just auditioning for some stupid play.

In the comics, Archie has a third love interest, Cheryl Blossom. Played by Madelaine Petsch in “Riverdale,” Cheryl is “Riverdale’s Queen Bee” and is “happy to stir up trouble amongst Archie, Betty, and Veronica.”

The synopsis concludes with: “… but Cheryl is keeping secrets of her own. What, exactly, is she hiding about the mysterious death of her twin brother, Jason? Riverdale may look like a quiet, sleepy town, but there are dangers in the shadows…”

Edited by tv echo

So do I start 'shipping Jug Head and Betty now.

I have had ZERO exposure to Archie comics [I don't think they were ever published here], and I plan on watching this show without looking up any comic canon whatsoever.

WHEEEEEEEEEEE.

• Love 2

When I first read the synopsis I thought this sounds likes a Dawson's Creek remake. Only using the original teen soap triangle with Betty/Archie/Veronica that Dawson's Creek used as the template for Joey/Dawson/Jen. 

As for Archie's hair that color makes him look like the comic version who had an unbelievable shade of red hair. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

When I first read the synopsis I thought this sounds likes a Dawson's Creek remake. Only using the original teen soap triangle with Betty/Archie/Veronica that Dawson's Creek used as the template for Joey/Dawson/Jen. 

As for Archie's hair that color makes him look like the comic version who had an unbelievable shade of red hair. 

I think it looks like they wanted to do a Twin Peaks remake, didn't have the rights, and decided to an Archie version of it.  So it's a mix of Twin Peaks and Dawson's Creek.

11 hours ago, way2interested said:

Really?  I loved Voltron as a kid.  My entire neighborhood would gather to watch it at my friend's house before we got on the bus to go to school in the mornings.  Happy memories there, LOL.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I have to admit I feel bad that I really don't know much about the OJ case apart from that he was found innocent  of a murder that popular assumption was that he was guilty of and that race was played and Kim Karadashians dad was his lawyer. I feel like there's a whole part of entertainment sports history I've missed. Mainly because I was 5 or 6 at the time.

But my dad watched this and he said it was really thorough so I'm curious. 

It was well made. I highly encourage it, as well as the dramatized People vs OJ from FX. The first few parts of the Espn film is more about sociology than necessarily just OJ. And the other miniseries is just an acting tour de force on every level.

As someone who lived through the event as a teenager it was interesting to see it from different perspectives.

It's also fascinating to see how 20 years later there are still very rampant Race issues that plague America.

Sidenote - my personal opinion is that when historians mark the fall of America, especially socioculturally the rise of the Kardashians will be high on the list. They are like a modern day horsemen of the Apocalypse.

• Love 1

I just remember being sandwiched by Voltron (obsessive older brother) & power rangers (obsessive younger sister). Trust me I greatly enjoyed both but even my developing brain could smell rip off miles away. Transformers for me always like the cool factor but that's cuz talking machines do it for me.

If we're going cartoon reminiscing, I was obsessed with She-Ra. Now that was an amazing cartoon adventure series. It even held up a few years back when I picked up a black Friday special DVD of episodes.

If they made a remake/revival of She-Ra live action or cartoon, I would be there in a tachycardic heartbeat.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kismet said:

It was well made. I highly encourage it, as well as the dramatized People vs OJ from FX. The first few parts of the Espn film is more about sociology than necessarily just OJ. And the other miniseries is just an acting tour de force on every level.

They had to put that stuff in there though, to understand how it all came to a boil with OJ's arrest and trial.

The first part is about OJ's life before Nicole, they cover how athletes like Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell, and Jim Brown, took hits on their public persona and earning power by speaking out against injustices that African-Americans faced, but OJ flat out refused to join them.  He felt and even said "I'm not black, I'm OJ."  Part 2 is where the very dark side of OJ comes out, and it covers his relationship with Nicole and how he physically and psychologically abused her.  It mentions how he was able to turn on the charming OJ everybody knew before the arrest for double homicide, with no problem, even after being the pissed off rage filled OJ just a few seconds earlier.

And here I thought Riverdale, based on the first promos was going to be more of a mystery but that promo sure makes it look like not much of a mystery at all. And this makes me even more befuddled as to why they put it behind SPN.  

The OJ trial and the media circus surrounding it was just one big "WTF?" that I hope the U.S. never has to endure again.  From a purely television standpoint, I blame it for the rise of 24-7 reality TV, the tabloidization of cable news, and to a lesser extent, the destruction of original daytime TV programming.

• Love 5

Also, I only liked the Lion Voltron. I hated when they went to the 20 billion stupid cars in space Voltron.

This!!  

If we're going cartoon reminiscing, I was obsessed with She-Ra. Now that was an amazing cartoon adventure series. It even held up a few years back when I picked up a black Friday special DVD of episodes.

If they made a remake/revival of She-Ra live action or cartoon, I would be there in a tachycardic heartbeat.

He-Man and She-Ra, my original crossover shows.   She-Ra did a pretty great job with it's female protagonist (at least that's how I remember it, lol).  I remember lecturing to my older brother (not sure why) about how on She-Ra, she didn't even need to turn into a magic powered warrior to be a hero and a warrior.  

And she had a flying horse.  Sold!  

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Jediknight said:

They had to putinon-sportsf in there though, to understand how it all came to a boil with OJ's arrest and trial.

The first part is about OJ's life before Nicole, they cover how athletes like Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell, and Jim Brown, took hits on their public persona and earning power by speaking out against injustices that African-Americans faced, but OJ flat out refused to join them.  He felt and even said "I'm not black, I'm OJ."  Part 2 is where the very dark side of OJ comes out, and it covers his relationship with Nicole and how he physically and psychologically abused her.  It mentions how he was able to turn on the charming OJ everybody knew before the arrest for double homicide, with no problem, even after being the pissed off rage filled OJ just a few seconds earlier.

True. I understood why It was there, I just like to tell people about It because I think It makes a stronger film, also it can appeal to non-Sports fans.

27 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone watching Westworld? 

We watched the first episode last night and we're absolutely hooked! 

I really enjoyed it. IMO, it was a bit slow in the middle but then really picked up steam in the last 4 or 5 episodes again.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Does it end the story in season 1 or does it continue onto season 2? 

I don't dare look up the forum in case of spoilers.

They did get renewed for s2.  I can't say the story ends...per se.

I loved the original Blade Runner movie, but I have mixed feelings about this sequel...

BLADE RUNNER 2049 Official Teaser Trailer (2017) Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford Sci-Fi Movie HD
Published on Dec 19, 2016, by JoBlo Movie Trailers