Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

What I hated about the ending of Chuck was them leaving it up to interpretation. I wanted Chuck to kiss Sarah then they would show us all her memories flooding back then Sarah would be all "Chuck I remember everything!" Chuck would have been all "Oh thank god" then kissed her like she'd never been kissed before. GUH I loved Chuck and Sarah. The scene where Chuck was Begging her to remember their life together was heartbreaking :(

It was heartbreaking. :( Too many tears.

Sadly I think we are currently in the age of series finales being up for interpretation. Just finished watching the series finale of Nurse Jackie (with commentary) and even the people behind the show had a different idea of what happened to the character. So many series are doing the unclear endings. I feel it is very rare to get a show that ties up everything with a nice bow. I'm not sure it always works. I also think it varies on the show.

I will say that when I first watch the finales with open endings, I'm initially pissed. But after awhile I often make peace with it and wind up liking it because it let's me have my own ending. There is never a good time to say goodbye to characters you love, so sometimes the open endings are better than ghe writers choosing a path I would not want for the characters.

• Love 2

But is it really baiting them or making the most of the pairing while he had it?

Well, he went out of his way to talk about Clarke's sexuality in every interview and brought up Clexa soo much that I was wondering if he knew he had other characters. From what I heard he even did interviews with LGBT websites. As soon as he saw many critics liked Clexa then Clarke stopped being a character with her own identity that had nothing to do with who she was with at any given moment. He also talked about Clexa as if Lexa would be around or at least be a recurring character. Furthermore, the way he talked about Clexa made those fans think he cared about her not to kill the character in such a tropey way. So, yeah, he baited those fans. 

will say that when I first watch the finales with open endings, I'm initially pissed. But after awhile I often make peace with it and wind up liking it because it let's me have my own ending. There is never a good time to say goodbye to characters you love, so sometimes the open endings are better than ghe writers choosing a path I would not want for the characters.

It would be far better IMO if they just ended the show the way I want it in the first place.  ;p

Well, he went out of his way to talk about Clarke's sexuality in every interview and brought up Clexa soo much that I was wondering if he knew he had other characters. From what I heard he even did interviews with LGBT websites. As soon as he saw many critics liked Clexa then Clarke stopped being a character with her own identity that had nothing to do with who she was with at any given moment. He also talked about Clexa as if Lexa would be around or at least be a recurring character. Furthermore, the way he talked about Clexa made those fans think he cared about her not to kill the character in such a tropey way. So, yeah, he baited those fans. 

Ah, I see.  I thought we were talking about how the characters were used on the show, didn't realize what he'd been up to in interviews. 

Ah, I see.  I thought we were talking about how the characters were used on the show, didn't realize what he'd been up to in interviews. 

Yeah. I don't like Lexa but even I thought what he did giving those fans hope when he knew how it would all end was wrong. 

It was heartbreaking. :( Too many tears.

Sadly I think we are currently in the age of series finales being up for interpretation. Just finished watching the series finale of Nurse Jackie (with commentary) and even the people behind the show had a different idea of what happened to the character. So many series are doing the unclear endings. I feel it is very rare to get a show that ties up everything with a nice bow. I'm not sure it always works. I also think it varies on the show.

I will say that when I first watch the finales with open endings, I'm initially pissed. But after awhile I often make peace with it and wind up liking it because it let's me have my own ending. There is never a good time to say goodbye to characters you love, so sometimes the open endings are better than ghe writers choosing a path I would not want for the characters.

I'd rather they end with a sense of real closure for fans who invested the time. I will say one series finale in recent memory that I loved was Psych. The Main couple was together and all the main characters had happy Endings so to speak.

• Love 2

A while back a few posters were raving about the BBC's production of And Then There Were None.  Stumbled across it being run here in the states on of all places, The Lifetime Channel.  The first part is actually on right now (so unless you are on the West Cost you'd have missed the first fifteen minutes) but they are repeating it at 11pm (Central time) and also re-airing this part before they air the final part on Monday. 

It's a two part series (total of about four hours with commercials)  The second part airs starting at 8pm Central time Monday the 14th ( but they are running the first part again starting at 6pm Central time.) 

Plot Summary (from Wikipedia)

On a hot day in late August sometime in the late 1930s eight people, all strangers to each other, are invited to a small, isolated island off the coast of Devon, England, by a "Mr and Mrs Owen". They settle in at a mansion tended by two newly hired servants, Thomas and Ethel Rogers, but their hosts are absent. When the guests sit down to dinner, they notice the centerpiece, ten figurines of soldiers in a circle. Afterward, Thomas Rogers puts on a gramophone record, from which a voice accuses them all of murder.[4] Shortly after this, one of the party dies from poisoning, and after this more and more people are murdered, all in methods synonymous with a nursery rhyme the island is named after.[5] The murderer removes a figurine from the dining table each time someone is killed. All this time, the survivors race against time to find out who the killer is, and if he or she is one of them.

Edited by BkWurm1

I get killing Lexa, the actress is on another show. But they really should've let her go out like the badass she was shown to be. TV writers almost always let the male characters go out with a bang, doing something heroic. I don't get why they don't understand that concept, most of the female tv characters that I love that have been killed off always go with a whimper. They are either just standing around to get shot or stabbed (Sara, Tara, Lexa, who all happen to be gay or bi), on their knees with their hands tied behind their back (Shado, Moira, even Isabel) or given some paralyzing agent (Anna on TVD), or hit by a car or something. None of those characters were given a chance to fight back. 

• Love 2

It's a well written article... But I still can't help but roll my eyes because no critic, not even Mo Ryan, has ever written a piece about the cultural appropriation as well as the terrible treatment of PoCs on that show. The 100 has always treated minorities terribly, where was the outrage before?

ETA: I do definitely agree that JRoth's baiting the fandom was gross though. I didn't realized how much baiting happened. I just wish that critics would've called JRoth out on his gross behavior towards PoCs before because that was problematic too. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2

It's a well written article... But I still can't help but roll my eyes because no critic, not even Mo Ryan, has ever written a piece about the cultural appropriation as well as the terrible treatment of PoCs on that show. The 100 has always treated minorities terribly, where was the outrage before?

ETA: I do definitely agree that JRoth's baiting the fandom was gross though. I didn't realized how much baiting happened. I just wish that critics would've called JRoth out on his gross behavior towards PoCs before because that was problematic too. 

I'm not very familiar with The 100 (just the basic premise). How does it treat its PoCs? 

I'm not very familiar with The 100 (just the basic premise). How does it treat its PoCs?

There's a comment that best describes the terrible mistreatment of PoCs and other minorities on the show:

J says:

Something I find extremely frustrating, is that many fans have been talking about how problematic this show is for well over a year but up until ten days ago nobody seemed to care.

This show has a problem with persistent use of racist tropes and mistreatment of POC and disabled characters, often to prop up white characters or give the space in the narrative. For example; the torture of multiple POC characters multiple times (Raven, Bellamy, Lincoln) the shock value deaths of POC characters (Wells, Anya, and Lincoln looks set to join that list soon too), the sidelining of Raven because of her disability, the recent use of the “Magical Cure” trope for Raven too, the use of the bindi and the brownface and the dreads (cultural appropriation is never a good look). All of this and much, much more has been pointed out time and again by hoards of fans for a very long time. And yet, nobody cared about how this show was perpetuating harmful tropes and mistreating its audience until ten days ago.

The vocal fanbase you refer to were shouting down POC and disabled fans upset at the offensive tropes and storylines on the show and telling them to wait their turn – all was well as long as they had Clarke and Lexa. It’s very unsettling to see fans praise a show for its progressive representation whilst turning a blind eye to the many faults it has in terms of the representation of other marginalised groups.

And I know for a fact that several of the writers have blocked fans for bringing up these issues with them on twitter, even when trying to engage in a calm, non-hostile discussion. Where was the sympathy for these fans from the writers? From the media?

Here's a link to the apparent mistreatment of PoCs on the show:

http://goldenheadfreckledheart.tumblr.com/post/128271515812/listen-i-usually-agree-with-your-opinions-but

• Love 4

Thanks. I'd been considering doing a binge of the show. Now I'm not so sure.

I'm furious with the show at the moment and for past things they've done but I'd still suggest doing a binge, the second season might be one of my favorite seasons of anything ever.

• Love 3

You know those days? those days where on the one hand you get super happy news (my mom is flying all the way from back home for my graduation in May), but on the other hand everything that can go wrong and make your day miserable does? (got my period- which for me means being bed ridden for most of the day and missing work and class, And! my not even owned them for a year- pretty expensive- awesome earphones have gone missing, also my mom will have to leave on an earlier than planned date because my cousin has gone and gotten engaged and is having her wedding 10 days after my graduation)..

blah!

• Love 7

The super tan makeup they put on ADC made me legit think she was a PoC until I saw a promo pic for Fear the Walking Dead. That's disturbing. :/

SAME! I thought ADC was naturally tan but apparently the show was going for brownface, and with the bindi and dreads just made even worse. 

I actually enjoyed The 100 and was unaware of the amount of mistreatment there was (and I really do kick myself in the butt for not noticing it before) until I took a look at the fandom. I stopped watching after S2 because of it. I was really disappointed :(

Edited by wonderwall

Others and I used to complain about the PoC problem the show but, we were used to get shutdown by the writers and Clexa/Bellarke fans who were happy with the show. Apparently my opinion didn't count since I was a huge fan of Raven, Lincoln, Monty, Bellamy, and Miller.  

I remember others complained when they saw preview image of Clarke for this season. Some of the images had Clarke very tan with different dirty hair style and make-up that did not go down easy with others. 

• Love 2

Thanks. I'd been considering doing a binge of the show. Now I'm not so sure.

SAME! I thought ADC was naturally tan but apparently the show was going for brownface, and with the bindi and dreads just made even worse. 

I actually enjoyed The 100 and was unaware of the amount of mistreatment there was (and I really do kick myself in the butt for not noticing it before) until I took a look at the fandom. I stopped watching after S2 because of it. I was really disappointed :(

I'm really behind on watching this season but yeah, I would 2nd the recommendation through at least the 2nd season. 

Now to be fair, the show does treat everyone as cannon fodder and expendable. 

They took out a mountain of people that were pretty white bread.

The thing I've learned is never get attached to new characters.  They kill characters way too soon (Though I was very happy last season at least once by who they killed.  So long useless love triangle guy)  

I am still annoyed they

killed the Chancellor's son aka Clarke's estranged best friend

so soon because I had been sure he was supposed to be a regular and was about the only character I trusted (Everyone else pops up after though dead, I've been hoping for him for a long time, sigh)  and yeah, now that it's pointed out to me, the dreads ever where are making me uncomfortable but I know originally I didn't question it.  Nobody has access  to running water and I thought it was a reaction to that.  I mean, Clarke is so filthy all the time that I didn't realize that she was supposed to be tan at the start of the season until now.

In a lot of ways the show tries not to see color or ethnicity, I don't recall it ever being an open issue but I think it's fair that there are themes they use that capitalize on old tribal and other stereotypes but is it any more blatant than the misogyny on Flash?  Not so sure.    

Edited by BkWurm1

So saw a promo for an upcoming movie called Hardcore Henry and now I will live with my fingers crossed that this movie is a bomb. I could barely stand to watch the trailer. I never get motion sickness but this one might do it.

It's a movie that apparently was all filmed in the first person shooter style, so that the audience is the action hero leaping from the racing motorcycle or throwing the punch or getting the girl. I'm terrified it will be a hit and they'll start regularly making movies like that. I can't even stand to play video game unless I can see the character. A whole movie? No thank you. (Not unless there are virtual reality goggles involved)

• Love 2

I watched The 100 after hearing so many good things about it, and legitimately had to check that there weren't two shows with the same name, and I was watching the shitty one.

It's basically just betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, death, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, sex, betrayal, sex, death, death, death death, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, death, death, sex, death, betrayal, death.

That's the entire two and a half season run that I've watched. It doesn't get a pass as being 'adult' and 'intelligent' just because it's not afraid to kill characters or show them being gigantic assholes.

• Love 2

Upload the pic to: tinypic website, after it's upload go to the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" box and copy the link Than just past it in the message box and post the message.

Thanks, foreverevolving!

Here's the pic: (I'll spoiler it in case no one wants to look at a bizarre cuttlefish cake)

v48pvt.jpg

• Love 11

For Galavant fans...

‘Galavant’ Star Joshua Sasse To Play the Male Lead In The CW Pilot ‘No Tomorrow’
by Nellie Andreeva •  March 14, 2016 1:46pm
http://deadline.com/2016/03/joshua-sasse-cast-male-lead-no-tomorrow-the-cw-pilot-galavant-1201720110/

... Still, even if Galavant is to beat the odds and come back, Sasse will only appear in the first episode of the potential third season in a carveout from No Tomorrow. It is hard to imagine Galavant continuing beyond that without Galavant.

I watched The 100 after hearing so many good things about it, and legitimately had to check that there weren't two shows with the same name, and I was watching the shitty one.

It's basically just betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, death, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, sex, betrayal, sex, death, death, death death, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal, death, death, sex, death, betrayal, death.

That's the entire two and a half season run that I've watched. It doesn't get a pass as being 'adult' and 'intelligent' just because it's not afraid to kill characters or show them being gigantic assholes.

I wonder if this is one of those cases where binge watching seems to make it all worse than it seems when watching it week to week.  I watched it the first season mostly because it was there and the concept interested me.  As you said, everyone kept dying so it made it hard for me to get too attached to anyone but I found I was always interested in what was happening as I watched it each week and over the hiatus, I thought about the show a lot.

In the second season, they dumped the one character I couldn't stand and that impressed me immensely and while still filled with sooo much death (usually just as a character got interesting) the actions of pretty much everybody became strangely sympathetic.  And the dark place that they went to felt legitimate.  Again, it was a show that I found myself thinking about, not so much the characters, but the bigger concepts and choices they were all faced with.  I think that time each week where I turned over the show probably made me appreciated it more. 

Or maybe just getting a chance to step back each week from the grime and cold and blood and hopelessness made it easier to handle.  It was not an easy show to watch and I can see it all becoming a blur of misery if not spaced out. 

I have only watched the first two episodes this season.  There was a vibe to it that I didn't love so yeah, I am facing a binge watch soon.  Wonder how that will go. 

• Love 4

I binged the first season and a half of The 100 and I didn't find the betrayal stuff that overwhelming. I feel like the big themes of the show include how best to govern/survive, finding out where you "belong," and your loyalties being tested as a result of those things. So a lot of the "betrayal" to me just seems like natural consequences of being in an incredibly stressful situation where people you trust and care about are on opposing sides and you need to choose one (oversimplifying, but you know). I don't think it gets credited as an "adult" show because of the death toll, but because it puts characters in terrible but narratively logical situations and doesn't give them an easy out at the last minute. There are consequences and the characters have to live with them.

Or anyway, it used to be like that. I can't defend the show this season (I haven't watched in weeks), but that's my take on the first two seasons which I do still adore, and why it used to get the critical and fan support that it did.

• Love 5

Guys, I just got back from seeing Hamilton, and it was the best ever. Leslie Odom, Jr. as Burr has a voice like butter, and sang what has been the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in my life. I died, got reborn, and now have the strength to make it through the end of this season of Arrow. Bring it, MG! I can take anything you've got. (Please don't be too terribad.)

• Love 10

Guys, I just got back from seeing Hamilton, and it was the best ever. Leslie Odom, Jr. as Burr has a voice like butter, and sang what has been the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in my life. I died, got reborn, and now have the strength to make it through the end of this season of Arrow. Bring it, MG! I can take anything you've got. (Please don't be too terribad.)

Laurel's gonna die 

so I doubt it'll be too terribad ;)

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 7

For the record, I do know Titanic was a real ship that really sank.

Speaking off, one of my Facebook friends posted a video of dresses throughout history with the comment that she liked the style of dress from Titanic (the movie) which she thinks took place somewhere in the early 20th century. Thinks. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. There was the centennial just a few years ago!

• Love 1

I guess I'm old enough to remember when they found it. It was kind of a big deal - the discovery of the Titanic!

And it helps that I've never seen the movie. :). Or at least not that one. I think we watched the old black and white one in high school (A Night to Remember).

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

Hey, there is a timeline wherein the Titanic did NOT sink. Just ask the angel Balthazar in Supernatural.

that episode was just on TNT yesterday.  Loved the scenes of Sam/Dean walking down the street all freaked out over their impending date with "Fate"

that episode was just on TNT yesterday.  Loved the scenes of Sam/Dean walking down the street all freaked out over their impending date with "Fate"

I tend to forget that episode exists but the one thing I do remember is "Fate" with her glasses on the end of her nose. I just want to push them up on her nose and yell at her and ask " How can you see when your glasses aren't even on your face properly!!!" It seriously drives me crazy.

Edited by catrox14