Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This does not make sense to me at all. Escalus and Rosaline obviously have the hots for each other but he gets her engaged to another dude in order to help restore her to nobility? Being the prince, isn't there an obvious way to do this? Oh geez, is this another of Shonda Rhimes' adulterors? What's her deal with them? Even if that isn't the case, I don't like the dude. Rosaline does not want this, but apparently he knows better. I guess it fits with Romeo and Juliet, but it really feels like high school.

5 hours ago, bijoux said:

This does not make sense to me at all. Escalus and Rosaline obviously have the hots for each other but he gets her engaged to another dude in order to help restore her to nobility? Being the prince, isn't there an obvious way to do this? Oh geez, is this another of Shonda Rhimes' adulterors? What's her deal with them? Even if that isn't the case, I don't like the dude. Rosaline does not want this, but apparently he knows better. I guess it fits with Romeo and Juliet, but it really feels like high school.

It just seems like a weird mash-up of R&J and Cinderella. I'll tune in because I enjoy costume dramas and Shonda rarely fails to deliver a few good seasons of TV. But yeah, the whole adulterors thing is getting old - although it is on par with an obstacle for star-crossed lovers if one of them is stuck in an arranged marriage/engagement while in love with someone else.

Sidenote - I don't see who Escalus is supposed to be according to this link. Is he supposed to be the destined lover?

I thought the forced fiance was supposed to be the destined lover? Escalus is the prince who cares for her and smooches her passionately, yet arranges this engagement, to which neither party is consenting. Odd narrative choice.

I went off SR sometime around the time I realized that Private Practice managed to be even more immature than Grey's despite the fact that the characters were 10+ years older. I went back to Grey's for a while, but then I got tired of her killing all the people. I watched MASH and the casualties count was way lower than here.

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I thought the forced fiance was supposed to be the destined lover? Escalus is the prince who cares for her and smooches her passionately, yet arranges this engagement, to which neither party is consenting. Odd narrative choice.

I went off SR sometime around the time I realized that Private Practice managed to be even more immature than Grey's despite the fact that the characters were 10+ years older. I went back to Grey's for a while, but then I got tired of her killing all the people. I watched MASH and the casualties count was way lower than here.

Agree on Private Practice and Grey's which is why I moved on after a few seasons. Basically when they killed George and honestly can't remember when I dropped PP but I think it was around the time Taye Diggs character got a divorce.

I also think those coincide with when SR perhaps had less influence on the show. I think she set ups pretty interesting concepts. But I've watched enough of her shows to know when it's time for me to take the loss and walk away. This is going to be a pivotal season for me for Scandal.

But gosh darnit, GA seems to have contracted the Energizer bunny disease, that show just doesn't seem to be dying off any time soon. Friends whom I never thought would watch it, were talking about it over NYE. Just crazy.

• Love 2

It's been on 8 seasons and I've yet to watch a Vampire Diaries episode in its entirety but got the gist of the show from online chatter and the occasional  YouTube clip.

Im watching it from the start now- mainly out of utter boredom- up to episode 9 and wow must they must have done a lot of rehab on Damon to make him shipable with Elena cause right now I don't see it.

Awww, memories of my TVD marathon of like 5 years ago! Congrats, you're already through the worst of (early) TVD! No spoilers, but...they didn't do a whole lot of real rehab on Damon as much as just slowly make him less overtly horrible, give him a little bit of a woobie backstory, and then just hope everyone would forget the early stuff. Which worked for a lot of people, even mostly for me. He does become more interesting and enjoyable (IMO) as they make him more complex and less cartoony, but...there's just no erasing some of that stuff that happens early on. I hope you enjoy--the part of S1 you're into now + S2 is some of my favorite fun TV of all time.

• Love 3

I liked S3 too, but I have more problems with it than S2, for sure. But when I recommend the show to people now, I usually tell them to watch S1-3 and quit there if they're satisfied, because while there are a few bright spots in later seasons, it's mostly not worth it, IMO. (But I was watching live by that point--it might have been more fun to watch in marathon format.)

• Love 1

Well first impression is the writing is actually surprisingly good for CW standards but most CW shows do have good writing for the first 2 seasons. 

Oh I'm totally already prepared for the poor me back story I'm just a wounded Vampire with a tragic past love me even though I do despicable things. But yeah Damon has like killed 1 of her friends and her brothers girlfriend and turned her into a vampire, tried to kill 2 of her other friends and physically mentally and sexually abused one of them, killed her aunts boyfriend and turned him into a vampire, killed Stefans friend etc.

Right now I like Elena I'm hoping she still at least keeps her self respect as a character when they Spike/Buffy them. 

Edited by LeighAn
On 12/19/2016 at 9:44 AM, calliope1975 said:

DreamWorks Face is it's own trope - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DreamworksFace. Heh.

I was looking forward to this because of Guillermo Del Toro until I found out MG was involved. Now, I'm way more 'eh' on the project. See, MG? When you're an ass to people, it makes me not want to support your work. Ass. 

I binged this over the holidays.  It's not perfect but I enjoyed it.  It took me a bit to get into it though.  But once I got hooked on the story, I finished it pretty quickly. 

One thing I didn't realize until I got into it (because I was paying no attention to the credits) was that Anton Yelchin did the voice for the lead character.  He died before it was finished, but apparently he had most of his dialogue recorded. 

Here's an interview with Guillermo Del Toro about Anton: http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/guillermo-del-toro-anton-yelchin-trollhunters-season-2-1201761630/

Edited by Starfish35

Question:

Would you guys rage if riiiiiiight at the end of the series there was a 30 second Olicity reunion?

I once invested my time on 16 DVDs worth of a series (someone assured me the ship ended together! I took their word for it and didn't watch the last DVD to check) and right at the end the reunion was 30 secs. I was baffled! I cursed my friend who still thought it was the best series EVA because they got together.

• Love 1

JAG did that, after multiple ships Harm and whatshername finally got together in the very last seconds of the series and flipped a coin to see which would give up his/her career for the other.

I was long, long gone by them.  I laugh and point at them now for being so stupid for wasting so much of my time.

• Love 1

OMG did anyone watch Medium???

They were MARRIED and they managed to kill that ship! They killed Joel and reunited them in the after life! Robbed them of a good 40 years together!!!!!!!

Edited by Mellowyellow
9 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Right now I like Elena I'm hoping she still at least keeps her self respect as a character when they Spike/Buffy them. 

Spoiler

Spoilers: no, she won't. There's going to be that magical Sire Bond storyline where Elena is going to be doing whatever Damon wants, but it's okay because she was in love with him for years.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, CooperTV said:
  Hide contents

Spoilers: no, she won't. There's going to be that magical Sire Bond storyline where Elena is going to be doing whatever Damon wants, but it's okay because she was in love with him for years.

Haha yeah I can already see the signs there when like two episodes after he tries to kill Bonnie she's going on road trips and drinking with him and getting all devastated at the prospect of him being killed for killing an innocent Lexi for his own crimes

• Love 1

Man I loved VD but stopped beginning of fourth season. By then I couldn't stand special snowflake Elena. I think her hooking up with Damon was horrible considering what he once did to her brother among other horrible things, plus I didnt find siblings fighting over someone appealing and find it gross. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Haha yeah I can already see the signs there when like two episodes after he tries to kill Bonnie she's going on road trips and drinking with him and getting all devastated at the prospect of him being killed for killing an innocent Lexi for his own crimes

I stopped watching after season 5 (I think),

Spoiler

or whatever season it was where Damon and Elena got together after she turned into a vampire and said in the first episode of the season that Stefan was the best choice she ever made, and in the last episode of the season (I think?) Damon was her True Love (tm), then Stefan was trapped in the vault under water for three months and neither Damon, nor Elena remembered about him because they were too busy boinking, more or less.

21 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Are there plans to reunite Caroline and Klaus? I think I saw an article mentioning it. They are on different shows though! 

I think the show is on track for Stefan/Caroline endgame this season, and they started to write Caroline pining for Stefan since around season 6

Spoiler

(because season 7 was about Caroline having Alaric's magic babies).

Vampire Diaries is insane.

I feel like during my binge watch I should make a thing Vampire Diaries wants you to forget so you totes love Delena. Exhibit A Damon grabbed Elena by the neck and threaten to bleed her dry to ransom Stefan to do what he wants.

I wouldn't say I ship Stefan and Elena I find them a little vanilla which might explain the Delena passion in the VD fandom but I will say from what Ove seen so far they have a very mature adult relationship devoid of the usual teen drama romance cliches and I like the fact that they talk to each other, they consult each other and respect one another. That Stefan isn't condescending or patronising towards Elena and that he allows her to make her own choices and be entitled to her own feelings with out forcing her and pressuring her to follow his. And on the ocassions that he does do so Elena calls it out for the bull shit that it is.

Stefan got big props for the whole "she has to make the choice to want to be with me I'm not going to use sex or attraction to force her hand" convo.

That being said they are very vanilla. So in that regard I can understand why the show made a change. 

47 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

I stopped watching after season 5 (I think),

Hide contents

or whatever season it was where Damon and Elena got together after she turned into a vampire and said in the first episode of the season that Stefan was the best choice she ever made, and in the last episode of the season (I think?) Damon was her True Love (tm), then Stefan was trapped in the vault under water for three months and neither Damon, nor Elena remembered about him because they were too busy boinking, more or less.

That was Season 4, which was extremely infuriating, yes. I think Season 5 was probably the worst season on the whole though, while S6 was kind of a creative rebirth, and enjoyable for a good portion. I might have watched the S7 premiere, but then I quit.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

That being said they are very vanilla. So in that regard I can understand why the show made a change. 

I'd say the show made a change mostly because Kevin Williamson, the original showrunner, left after season 4. And Julie Plec, the current showrunner, loved Damon so much, she decided to wrap the show entirely around Damon's manpain and angst.

Spoiler

She loves Damon so much she created a storyline to put Caroline, who Damon raped in season 1, in her place via hooking up Caroline with Klaus, so Caroline couldn't make "Elena dates my abuser and a horrible person" noises towards Damon/Elena anymore.

I'm basically incredibly bitter over everything the show did after the certain point in time, that's why I stopped watching it in the first place.

There's also a bit of BTS drama gossip, since Ian Samerhalder and Nina Dobrev were an item for five years, and then they broke up around season 5-6 and Ian married Nikki Reed couple months later, and Nina Dobrev left the show.

Edited by CooperTV
11 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

I think Season 5 was probably the worst season on the whole though, while S6 was kind of a creative rebirth, and enjoyable for a good portion.

Spoiler

Season 5 was about Silas and Kathrine trying to pretend to be Elena? Or I'm mixing everything up again? Did Season 6 was about the Travelers that wanted the blood of the Doppelgangers to come back or open the portal into the underworld or whatever?

Edited by CooperTV

Oh Im sure theres other reasons and I have heard some of them- the BTS Nina/Ian stuff anyway. I guess Im just curious in the event that they didnt explore Damon/Elena whether Stefan/Elena would have had enough steam to keep the boat running 8 seasons. 

Also Add to the list: Damon inadvertantly causes Bonnies grandmother to die with his raising Katherine from the grave plot by kidnapping Elena into the creepy vampire tomb and forcing the witches to perform more powerful magic then their bodies can hande. 

And I can already see the signs there that Elena has concocted some Damon just a tragic soul in pain back story in her mind to get herself misty eyed over him. The whole your just protecting your love ones bit and the he needs assurances you wont kill him bit. 

And ugh if they make Caroline BFFy supportive with Damon and Elena in future seasons because basically it would be like if the Jessica Jones writers decided for Trish and Kilgrave to date romantically and have Jessica be supportive and all thumbs up about it. 

I honestly think the Caroline stuff was far irredeemable then the killing almost killing Elenas friends aspect.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, CooperTV said:
  Hide contents

Season 5 was about Silas and Kathrine trying to pretend to be Elena? Or I'm mixing everything up again? Did Season 6 was about the Travelers that wanted the blood of the Doppelgangers to come back or open the portal into the underworld or whatever?

Ha, I think we're both confused. I just looked back:

Spoiler

Silas was also in S4 (mostly in the form of Professor Shane), but Stefan/Silas + The Travelers were S5. Stefan was locked in the safe (by Silas) drowning over and over for the hiatus between S4 and 5 (not 3&4 like I implied) and when Elena learned, she mostly felt bad for herself because that knowledge tainted all her happy memories with Damon. :'( THE WORST. S6 started with Damon/Bonnie in the Prison World, which was my favorite part of the season, and the weird Twin Coven thing + Kai were the Big Bads of the season.

17 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I guess Im just curious in the event that they didnt explore Damon/Elena whether Stefan/Elena would have had enough steam to keep the boat running 8 seasons

I'm sure they planned to milk Damon/Stefan/Elena triangle as much as possible. Which what was they were doing from season 2 on-wards, until Julie Plec became the showrunner.

And I can already see the signs there that Elena has concocted some Damon just a tragic soul in pain back story in her mind to get herself misty eyed over him.

Spoiler

They even retconned Delena's first meeting in one episode, to further the ship and its longevity, with that line "I saw her first", etc.

And ugh if they make Caroline BFFy supportive with Damon and Elena in future seasons because basically it would be like if the Jessica Jones writers decided for Trish and Kilgrave to date romantically and have Jessica be supportive and all thumbs up about it. 

Spoiler

They certainly attempted that through Stefan, who wanted for Caroline be civil and friendly towards Damon when she was uncomfortable with it. And also that scene with Elena who lashed out about Caroline always judging her relationship with Damon.

Edited by CooperTV

Speaking of Jessica Jones Im not part of the fandom- Im not even sure if Jessica Jones really has a fandom- but even though theyve been established as being sexually attracted to men does anyone else see the show doing a less overt Xena/Gabriel thing with Trish/Jessica where they will tease the audience with them loving each other in a soul mate romantic sense but not actually going there?

Also I miss the fun campiness of Xena and Hercules. 

Re Vampire Diaries

How long does the show perpetuate the Vicky has run off lie? Like do Matt and the characters spend the rest of the series always wondering what Vickys up to? Like Im getting this dread that its just going to be this loose end on the show that your suppose to not look to closely into but that could be my Arrow showing? Haha

@LeighAn, I'm not in JJ fandom but I think there's a lot of Trish/Jessica shippers. AO3 has some fic, and Tumblr probably has tags for it. I'd say they wrote a lot of subtext in their interactions, I wonder why they wouldn't commit to it as a romantic ship, though. They kind of screwed up Jessica/Luke (which is comic canon couple), so Trish/Jessica could work best. My main complain would be mostly that they foster sisters but that's not a huge issue, I guess.

11 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Speaking of Jessica Jones Im not part of the fandom- Im not even sure if Jessica Jones really has a fandom- but even though theyve been established as being sexually attracted to men does anyone else see the show doing a less overt Xena/Gabriel thing with Trish/Jessica where they will tease the audience with them loving each other in a soul mate romantic sense but not actually going there?

Absolutely, and I love it. I thought Jessica and Trish were exes in the first scene they had together. I also loved that Trish was there when she took out Kilgrave, and her "I love you" was the cue that she wasn't being controlled. 

6 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

How long does the show perpetuate the Vicky has run off lie?

I honestly don't rememebr much about that storyline. I read some stuff just now, and apparently Vicki came back as a ghost in season 3 and then was dragged to hell or something?

So Im not crazy and prejudice then when I got gay vibes from Trish/Jessica then? Haha. I think it wouldnt be stretch for the show to actually make the switch if they were so inclined but Im guessing itll be anothe Xena/Gabrielle thing where its left up to the audience imagination and undefined.

5 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

So Im not crazy and prejudice then when I got gay vibes from Trish/Jessica then? Haha. I think it wouldnt be stretch for the show to actually make the switch if they were so inclined but Im guessing itll be anothe Xena/Gabrielle thing where its left up to the audience imagination and undefined.

They could make at least one of them bisexual, since it's 2017 and they already have a lesbian character on their show.

Seriously, though, Xena/Gabrielle should have been canon, and I'm fully expecting Javier Grillo-Marxuach, who is doing Xena reboot, to reflect that in his new show.

It was on during the 90s they were never going to be canon. I dont even think they showed hetro sexual sex scenes that werent automatic fade to blacks on tv during the 90s. But yeah in a reboot if they are going to be loyal totally prepared for a full Xena Gabrielle romance.

Im worried a reboot will be all the grit of the original though and none of the fun.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CooperTV said:

I'd say the show made a change mostly because Kevin Williamson, the original showrunner, left after season 4. And Julie Plec, the current showrunner, loved Damon so much, she decided to wrap the show entirely around Damon's manpain and angst.

Hide contents

She loves Damon so much she created a storyline to put Caroline, who Damon raped in season 1, in her place via hooking up Caroline with Klaus, so Caroline couldn't make "Elena dates my abuser and a horrible person" noises towards Damon/Elena anymore.

Whaaaat? I only happened upon Vampire Diaries maybe three times on TV, but I thought 

Spoiler

Caroline and Damon hooked up or maybe dated for a while. I seem to be remembering a dance where Elena and Stefan came together and Damon came with Caroline. Maybe it was 50s themed? But he raped her?! That's awful.

1 hour ago, CooperTV said:

I'm sure they planned to milk Damon/Stefan/Elena triangle as much as possible. Which what was they were doing from season 2 on-wards, until Julie Plec became the showrunner.

Hide contents

They even retconned Delena's first meeting in one episode, to further the ship and its longevity, with that line "I saw her first", etc.

Reveal hidden contents

They certainly attempted that through Stefan, who wanted for Caroline be civil and friendly towards Damon when she was uncomfortable with it. And also that scene with Elena who lashed out about Caroline always judging her relationship with Damon.

So what, 

Spoiler

he's got dibs because of it?

Just now, bijoux said:
Spoiler

Caroline and Damon hooked up or maybe dated for a while. I seem to be remembering a dance where Elena and Stefan came together and Damon came with Caroline. Maybe it was 50s themed? But he raped her?! That's awful.

Spoiler

Well, they had sex, next morning she woke up and he tried to feed on her/eat her, she screamed and tried to get away from him, he compelled her to forget that ever happened, slept with her again and basically made her into his own sex toy/feeding machine for a while.

8 minutes ago, bijoux said:
Spoiler

he's got dibs because of it?

Spoiler

Pretty much, yeah. It wouldn't be there otherwise. And then there's Sire Bond things, after Elena turned and then started to obey everything that Damon said her to do, and then they got together. I think at this point even the most dedicated Delena shippers were mad.

Julie Plec has some strange ideas about true romance, let me tell you...

I was having an issue posting in Spoilers Only and Spoilers and Speculation. It turns out embedded tweets were the cause. When trying to post them, I'd get an error message. Putting in links, no problem.