Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

What 3D adds just hasn't been worth it IMO, at least since Avatar.  I remember being BLOWN away by it in Avatar and I'm talking about just walking through a cafeteria and past a control center, not even the pretty BRIGHT other scenes.  That's why I differentiate between filmed as 3D (which I swear almost NO one does) and added to.   

I'm not a big fan either, but if I am going to see something in 3D, it's only the ones that are filmed that way. I use this site to check, and based on that, it feels like the trend for filming in real 3D is slowly fading for non-animated films. It's expensive and not really worth it because most people don't know anyway. They're buying the tickets whether you film it that way or not, so why bother?

• Love 2

I have pretty low-brow taste in entertainment combined with the questionable confidence that any add-on is always worth it, so I always see the big action movies in IMAX 3D--the most expensive ticket I can buy!

Mostly though, I watch all other movies at the pre-noon matinee on Sundays for $5 and no snacks.

3D movies literally give me a huge headache when I watch them. I'm not sure why they became so trendy.

...That and movie 3D give me a headache. 

Not that you need me to tell you, but headaches from 3D movies are a real thing that affect about 10% of the population.  Hank Green of Vlogbrothers/ VidCon fame produced 2D glasses, which - I know - sounds like a gimmick.  Basically, if you have people who want the 3D experience (or the only showtime that works for your schedule is in 3D, or whatever), but the experience gives you headaches, you can buy the 2D glasses to cancel the headache causing effect and still watch with your friends like you're just seeing a regular version (for a higher priced ticket).

(edited)

Just catching up....

Wait, Idris Elba is going to be on Star Trek? Did not know! Good to know. :)

Have you all seen the latest entries in the Agent Carter/AoS dub smash war? (With special guest star?) http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/news/a15106/hayley-atwell-dubsmash/

(Also, I did not know that Clark Gregg was married to Jennifer Grey. Huh.)

ETA: I see that Sakura12 linked one of them - there's one more new one.

I see that Stitchers got renewed. Anyone still watching that? I dropped out after episode five.

Edited by Starfish35
I see that Stitchers got renewed. Anyone still watching that? I dropped out after episode five

.I'm watching but I blame all of you.  I wanted to quit by the second episode but I let myself be talked out of it.  Now even though I KNOW it is crap, I'm still watching. 

Just catching up....

Wait, Idris Elba is going to be on Star Trek? Did not know! Good to know. :)

Have you all seen the latest entries in the Agent Carter/AoS dub smash war? (With special guest star?) http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/news/a15106/hayley-atwell-dubsmash/

(Also, I did not know that Clark Gregg was married to Jennifer Grey. Huh.)

ETA: I see that Sakura12 linked one of them - there's one more new one.

I see that Stitchers got renewed. Anyone still watching that? I dropped out after episode five.

Just caught up on the whole "feud".  Really entertaining but I'm back Hayley/Agent Carter,  they're the most creative and they got Chris Evans to join in, major bonus points.

• Love 3
(edited)

I just saw the one where Hayley and Chris start making out leaving poor Jarvis in the corner. haha. I'm on Team Agent Carter!

Hayley also has one where she's dubsmashing with Emily VanCamp and Chris Evans brother. 

Edited by Sakura12

I'm still watching Stitchers! Because I adore Allison Scagliotti and will watch everything she ever does. Girlcrush priorities, yo. But I also watch a whole bunch of crappier shows, so the suck doesn't bother me? Hee. I like that the lady scientists are way way WAY more interesting than the dude scientists, so they got me there.

And UnREAL. OH MY GOD THIS SHOW IS EVERYTHING I DIDN'T KNOW I EVER WANTED. Who woulda thunk, Marti Noxon.

Hayley Atwell >>>>>> everyone else in the entire universe, ever.

• Love 1

Guess who has finally been recognized for her amazing talent!

67th Emmy's 

LEAD ACTRESS, DRAMA

Taraji P. Henson, “Empire”
Claire Danes, “Homeland”
Viola Davis, “How to Get Away with Murder”
Tatiana Maslany, “Orphan Black”
Elisabeth Moss, “Mad Men”
Robin Wright, “House of Cards”

• Love 10
(edited)

This always makes it even better.

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series - 2015

Taraji P. Henson - as Cookie Lyon

Claire Danes  - as Carrie Mathison

Robin Wright  - as Claire Underwood

Tatiana Maslany  - as Alison/ Cosima/ Helena/ Rachel/ Krystal/ Sarah

Viola Davis  - as Annalise Keating

Elisabeth Moss - as Peggy Olson

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

Per usual the Emmy nominations were not that surprising. But there were some good & deserving nominations... About time Tatiana Maslany gets some well-deserved attention for Orphan Black! Still funny to see OITNB in drama, but Edie Falco in comedy for Nurse Jackie, all deserving. I didn't realize there were so many categories I did not know existed.

Excited that Salvador Perez got one costumes for The Mindy Project, he puts together a pretty amazing wardrobe/costume design.

Also, I don't watch American Horror Story, but I loved Denis O'Hare in TrueBlood, I'm assuming he was just as good in AHS. If Arrow could afford him, I would love to see him cast in some villainous role. Perhaps something to do with Bratva. He has the powerful yet diabolical gravitas.

The thing for me with American Horror Story is Ryan Murphy manages to make each season worse than the previous one, making me think the previous one wasn't that bad. 

As for AHS: Freak Show. I never even finished watching that terrible mess of a show. It has some great actors and it's fun seeing take on different roles each season, but there is no clear narrative, it just tries to be shocking all the time. The first season was good because it was contained to one story about a haunted house. After that RM tried to cram as many horror stories as he could into one season. I'm still not sure why we needed Aliens in AHS: Asylum. 

I'll watch "Hotel" because I'm hoping it's like AHS: Murder House. 

(edited)

The thing for me with American Horror Story is Ryan Murphy manages to make each season worse than the previous one, making me think the previous one wasn't that bad. 

As for AHS: Freak Show. I never even finished watching that terrible mess of a show. It has some great actors and it's fun seeing take on different roles each season, but there is no clear narrative, it just tries to be shocking all the time. The first season was good because it was contained to one story about a haunted house. After that RM tried to cram as many horror stories as he could into one season. I'm still not sure why we needed Aliens in AHS: Asylum. 

I'll watch "Hotel" because I'm hoping it's like AHS: Murder House. 

Yeah I've dropped Freak Show at mid point, it was awful.

However, I don't agree about Asylum. AFAIK, it was more of Tim Minear's baby than RM's, and it had a somewhat different feel than the other seasons, imho. And overall, it had the most emotional impact on me, at the end. Both Lana and Sister Jude were pretty awesome characters, much better than the usual AHS fare. But the aliens stuff was kinda unnedeed, you're right.

I'll also check Hotel because it seems to be a reboot of sorts, so who knows. It's still a pretty unique show for American TV, and deserves at least checking out. But story-wise, season 3 and 4 were big let-downs (at least 3 was a great premise and a good first episode, but Freakshow bored me from the start).

Don't give a damn about Emmies. They never notice my favorite shows and vote for the stuff I tend to hate, all those boring prestige dramas about middle-aged white men and their problems. Still, nice for TM, her show is overrated on the Internet, but she's a great actress and deserves recognition.

Edited by FurryFury

Caught up on some SDCC panels. The fan favourite panel was fun. Maisie Williams is so good for someone so young. One moment she is mature beyond her years and the next she turns around is 'like Epic.' Very charming. I haven't seen Yvette Nicole Brown in anything but I want to watch everything now. She is a total fangirl - watches all the show and is a proud shipper. And funny. David Anders is pretty cool too. Mabel and his crooked lip. Lol

• Love 1
(edited)

I've only seen Yvette Nicole Brown on the Talking Dead, where she fangirls over the Walking Dead. She's the best guest on that show. I actually think she got on the fan favorite panel because of that show more than Community. You can tell she's a real fan and not just trying to promote herself. And she's hilarious.

With the Emmy's Orphan Black isn't nominated. TM is which is for her amazing acting as multiple characters, making each one their own person. That's why I watch OB and will continue to watch it. It's not any more of a mess than some other shows I watch (see AHS). OB's advantage is TM and what she brings to the show. I could watch her reading the phone book as the different clones.

I don't think Orphan Black is overrated. It's not the show you hear most people talk about, it's her. And Tatiana Maslany is not overrated.

Edited by Sakura12

My favorite reaction to Tatiana Maslany is that it's like... I basically think she only plays Sarah, you know? I *completely forget* she plays all of the other characters. And then I look at a cast picture and for a second I go "but where are the other actresses... oh, RIGHT."

The new guy playing the dudeclones has never given me the same illusion, which is kinda sad.

• Love 2

I could barely keep the Dudeclones apart this season and not in a good way. They all just seemed to be the same character, with the exception of the one that spent time on the commune. He seemed different. But I think that was the actor's original role, so maybe that is why he was able to bring some type of nuance to him. The rest of it, I was wondering who was who before I realized it probably doesn't matter. No offense to his acting ability as multiple clones, but I wonder though if having him on the show just highlighted how amazing TM is at what she does.

My favorite reaction to Tatiana Maslany is that it's like... I basically think she only plays Sarah, you know? I *completely forget* she plays all of the other characters. And then I look at a cast picture and for a second I go "but where are the other actresses... oh, RIGHT."

The new guy playing the dudeclones has never given me the same illusion, which is kinda sad.

Completely agree re. TM, but to be fair to Ari Millen all his clones were military so they're would definitely be less difference between them. Plus, you know, anybody is going to come off looking flat compared to TM.

• Love 1

I haven't watched season 3 yet (I think OB is better show when you binge watch it), but there was this moment when in the middle of watching I found myself in the middle of typing in 'who plays Helena on OB' into google, and then I realised....

• Love 2

Eh. For me it was a mix of 1. not caring in the least about any of the dudeclones, to the point where I've seen episodes multiple times, but I can't recall any of their names right now except for... Mark? And 2. Ari Millen doesn't ping on my OOOOH, GREAT ACTING radar. He didn't even when he was playing only one character.

I also think that might have been the point of the dudeclones. That because they were raised together under a military training they are not supposed to be different. Any differences is a failure of the experiment. Meanwhile, the female clones were separated & allowed to see what different environments did to them. Sorta a nature vs. nurture experiment.

Caught up on some SDCC panels. The fan favourite panel was fun. Maisie Williams is so good for someone so young. One moment she is mature beyond her years and the next she turns around is 'like Epic.' Very charming. I haven't seen Yvette Nicole Brown in anything but I want to watch everything now. She is a total fangirl - watches all the show and is a proud shipper. And funny. David Anders is pretty cool too. Mabel and his crooked lip. Lol

I really liked that panel and Maisie. Another great one was Nerd HQ's Mystery Panel Guests. So much fun, and Scott Porter was an absolute revelation.

(edited)

The Dudeclones were a fail for me. I get that they were supposed to be similar because they were raised together. But that made them dull and not interesting to watch. I watch the show for the Seastras and their brotherSeastra, Felix. Donnie actually grew on me this season, I loved him and Helena together. I've gotten to the point where I know they are all Tatiana, but just seeing Alison and Donnie then Helena and Donnie I forget that he's interacting with the same actress. I still love the story where even Tatiana's mother was wondering when TM was going to be on the show again after the scene switched from Sarah to Cosima. 

We are in awe of her talent, so are the other actors on the show. When I was at a panel with them, they couldn't stop praising her ability and she wasn't even there. Ari tried, but next to Tatiana, most people would look like it's their first acting job. You could even see other actors from other shows wondering why TM wasn't on the Emmy ballot. Finally she is, because I think enough people talked about her, including other actors that the Emmy people had to see what everyone was talking about. Then realized we were all right and gave her a nomination. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4
(edited)

I was watching tv entertainment news coverage of the Emmy noms, and there was not a single mention of TM.  They mostly mentioned Taraji Henson, Empire, Jon Hamm, Mad Men and Modern Family

The Emmys seem to be largely a popularity contest, with the same stars & shows winning year after year.  So I would be shocked - but pleased - if TM won.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I don't think she'll win (I hope she does) but her chances are slim. I'm just happy she's finally been recognized. 

The same people/shows winning year after year, is main reason I stopped watching the Emmy's. There's not much entertainment value if you know who's going to get the award months before the show airs. 

• Love 2
(edited)
I don't think Orphan Black is overrated. It's not the show you hear most people talk about, it's her. And Tatiana Maslany is not overrated.

TM is not overrated, but I think OB is. Among people who have watched it, at least. I think it's a pretty middling show, nothing special, but to hear its fans, it's God's gift to television. Season 2 has been a chore for me, even if I like season 1 a lot, and I've decided to avoid season 3.

Overall, I guess I'm not a person who could watch a show just for one actor (or even multiple actors). Writing is my love. I can and do acknowledge great acting, directing, visual effects, etc. But it's all secondary to themes, story structure, dialogues... 

Edited by FurryFury

I'm not involved in the fandom at all, but Orphan Black IS a gift to me. The TV Gods have bestowed me with something precious there. I can barely explain it, but OB speaks to me on a visceral, extremely personal level, in a way that doesn't happen too often. So I completely understand where the show's fandom is coming from.

• Love 2

Does anyone else watch Graceland? It's getting a little crazy this season, frankly I wonder how many holes they will let their characters dig before they won't be able to deal with the consequences. I have a feeling its gonna go a whole lot darker & deeper and that is prettty far considering how dark it can already be at times. Either way the actor who played the New Vertigo is on it and already doing a far better job than his stint on Arrow.

They did this really cool visual effect this past episode where they made some items red & the rest of the scene black & white for the flashbacks. It sorta looked like what I remember happening in Sin City. I enjoyed the stylized scenes and felt it gave an edge to that episode. Part of me wishes Arrow could do an episode like that similar to the recent preview that interspersed comics scenes w/ live action. Considering its comic roots it would be interesting to see the visuals reflect that at times on the show.

What amazes me when Tatiana Maslany is when she plays one clone pretending to be another, like Alison pretending to be Sarah, or Sarah pretending to be Rachel or Cosima.  You can see how the character that she is playing bleeds into the clone she is pretending to be.

Is anyone watching Whitechapel.  I liked the first couple of seasons and Penry-Jones is very pretty but it's getting to gruesome for me.

• Love 1

So I'm going through a Netflix binge and wondering everyone thought about Jericho. I watched the pilot and am curious as to whether I should watch the whole show. I love Ashley Scott because of Birds of Prey but I'm not completely sold on the show.

So I'm going through a Netflix binge and wondering everyone thought about Jericho. I watched the pilot and am curious as to whether I should watch the whole show. I love Ashley Scott because of Birds of Prey but I'm not completely sold on the show.

Jericho is one of my favorite shows ever. I was so sad when CBS canceled it after 2 seasons. It has developed quite the cult follow since it first aired. I highly recommend it.

• Love 1

Nothing special, but watchable, I guess. Although I don't think I've ever seen season 2. 

I generally love post-apocalyptic stuff but this one failed to make an impression. I think their worst mistake was not developing an interesting mythology fast enough and not having enough actually engaging characters.

I saw Ant-Man the other day, while it wasn't the best Marvel movie, it was enjoyable and entertaining. Marvel once again knows how to strike the balance between light and dark storylines to give an enjoyable movie going experience. I will actually probably see it again next week. 

• Love 1

Ugh. I can't watch The Originals. Not even for Jason. Love you, boo, but no.

I just saw on Twitter that Rick Cosnett is joining the new ABC show "Quantico" as a gay FBI analyst. I'm really glad he got a new gig. Eddie ended up being one of my absolute favorite characters on The Flash.

• Love 9

I'll miss Eddie on the Flash too. That made me so mad.

I really liked Ant Man. A lot. It was fun, all the actors did a great job

(there was even a brief cameo by Hayley Attwell as Peggy Carter!)

and plenty of laughs, which I didn't realize how much I needed. And watching the new Batman v Superman after AntMan was such a buzzkill. My kids liked it too (my husband and I had to bring them because the last time we went to a Marvel movie without them, they were pissed. And they know karate.) That being said, I really could have done without the 3D. The very first time I went to an IMAX movie it was Avatar 3D, and despite being blown away by the visuals, I got the worst case of motion sickness and nearly puked. Upon leaving the theater, I was greeted with a smell that assured me I was not alone in that unpleasant feeling. Yuck. The last time I felt that way was when I went to see The Blair Witch Project, and that wasn't even in 3D!

I refuse to see movies in 3D. I will wait for the showing that's not in 3D even though near me that means I only get 4 time choices. 

I was hoping the 3D phase would start dying down but it doesn't seem to be. Because as long as people are still shilling out the extra money to see it, they will release them in 3D to make more money. 

• Love 2

I don't have the nausea or headaches from the 3D and wearing the goggles over my glasses really was never an issue for me but in the end, the process that renders the film 3D just ruins the look of the film without enhancing the experience. I'm lucky that the theaters near me all have both 3D and regular versions playing at the same theater during the same run. Everyone I talk to seems to agree on it being a waste of money so hopefully that means the trend is starting to lose steam.

Crosses fingers.

Ugh. I can't watch The Originals. Not even for Jason. Love you, boo, but no.

I just saw on Twitter that Rick Cosnett is joining the new ABC show "Quantico" as a gay FBI analyst. I'm really glad he got a new gig. Eddie ended up being one of my absolute favorite characters on The Flash.

Thanks for the heads up! Another reason to possibly turn into Quantico.... it looks good event though I still have no idea what its about. But it also looks like a show that needs to be watched & not explained.

He definitely was one my favs from the Flash.  I used to love Joe the best until he got all the Arrow is bad and you're the best Barry. He pushed that message just a little too hard towards the end of the season. When his argument is pretty piss poor.