Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so jealous of all of you who have decent internet and can watch stuff on Netflix.

Just curious, does anyone watch CSI: Cyber?  I was wondering if it's as terrible as the previews made it seem.  It looked like one of those shows that you watch just so you can come on here and snark about it.

I'm so jealous of all of you who have decent internet and can watch stuff on Netflix.

Just curious, does anyone watch CSI: Cyber?  I was wondering if it's as terrible as the previews made it seem.  It looked like one of those shows that you watch just so you can come on here and snark about it.

YES, IT'S TERRIBLE. "That computer is an accessory to murder" kind of terrible. Text on screen to explain what terms like "black hat hacker" mean to what I'm assuming is a target demo of 84 year olds who are legit afraid of technology. The terribleness NEVER ENDS. Killer rollercoasters. Killer printers. Dawson and Bow Wow have a lot of manpain. Patricia Arquette and Peter McNicol have to play it straight all the time, you can FEEL the sense of I AM WASTING AWAY HERE FOR A PAYCHECK pouring off of them. IT'S THE GREATEST THING ON TV.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 4

Oh my gosh.  Maybe I should be watching this show because it sounds hilarious.

I'm reading through the thread for the first episode now, and the comments are too funny.  Maybe I'll just skip watching and follow the forum instead.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

I cannot resist a show that's basically about how The Internets Can Kill You, truestory. A couple of episodes were kind of boring, because they were less Evil Computers are Evil, and more of your regular evil creeper that just happens to use a computer variety. But the Evil Computers stuff is A+ hilarity.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 1

Am I the only one who thinks Patricia Arquette can't act? I know she won an Oscar and all that but she is so bad in CSI.

This.

Plus Dawson as a badass FBI/former military muscle doesn't do it for me. At. All. I'm waiting for years after he gets his ass handed to him ala DC.

Ha, I'm still watching CSI: Cyber for guilty pleasure reasons.  It really is one of the most laughably bad shows airing right now.  Every now and then, there is a hint that maybe they know their show is ridiculous, but for the most part, they really play it straight, which just makes it so, so bad.  As for the acting, I actually like Patricia Arquette on Boardwalk Empire, but she truly is awful here.  And, the fact this is happening right after she won an Oscar, cracks me up.  I actually think The Beek is one of the more entertaining parts about the show, but that is mainly because his character is so ridiculous: from the name (Elijah Mundo!), to all the action hero shots.  It's like everyone else has been told to play this like a drama, but he's been told to treat it like he's in a Michael Bay film.  It is just so bizarre.  I actually feel worse for Peter MacNicol.  The poor guy really seems lost.  Like he literally was dumped into scenes without reading the script, and is trying to get by.

On a more positive (if sad) note, preparing for the final episode of Justified tonight.  For my money, one of the most underrated shows of the past few years.  I will miss it.  Hope the cast finds other work soon.  Hell, Arrow could use some of Timothy Olyphant and Jacob Pitts' snark.  Or Walton Goggins hamming it up as a DC villain.

• Love 4

Yeah, I knew it was bad after I predicted the entire plot of the pilot episode after watching the first 3 minutes. It's pretty contrived and the characters are all boring stereotypes.

After seeing that trailer, I am now not interested at all in seeing Terminator Genisys.  They've completely destroyed what made the first Terminator movie so enjoyable.  And Arnold Schwarzennegger now being Sarah's adoptive father?  Ugh.

Edited by tv echo

:shrug: I'm still excited, and I think from the T:SCC (which introduced the idea of branched timelines) I don't see this story "undoing" the first movie, though I think Jai Courtney is so so bland and wholly undeserving of being Kyle Reese.

Edited by blixie

This Alan Sepinwall article on "hope-watching" made me think of my feelings about Arrow this season. Especially: 

It's more of a roller coaster ride than a hate-watch. Hate-watching takes you on one even, surly track as the same things aggravate you over and over again. Hope-watches have great highs and lows, as reasons to believe are swiftly replaced by reasons to doubt, and vice versa. One minute, you're gnashing your teeth and asking, "Why the hell am I still watching this show?" The next, you're fist-pumping and saying, "That's why I'm still watching!" The former emotion may be more frequent than the latter, but the latter is so powerful it gives you strength, for a while, to push through the rest.
  • Love 8

So the funniest thing happened today. I had to call the support center in Atlanta for lenovo because my laptop screen was being glitchy, so this guy had to remote access my laptop and saw that I was talking about Arrow with a friend of mine, and he said "You watch Arrow too?!" Cue a lengthy discussion about how this season hasn't been all that great and even he says it's because there isn't enough Diggle, Felicity, and Oliver and that Laurel is ruining this season for him because she's a liability out in the field and that it was her fault that all this stuff with Quentin is going down. And the conversation just made me feel really good that even casual viewers hate Laurel. :p 

• Love 9

I live in the Twin Cities Metro area in MN and the local affiliate for the CW is running a promo where they asked people what CW means in relation to their favorite CW shows (the running gag is no one knows what CW stands for - I still don't)  Anyway, I thought a couple of the answers were interesting.  I'll list all the ones for The Flash and the Arrow:

Arrow - Cool World (college aged guy)

Arrow - Cutting Weaponry "He has cool gadgets" (another college aged guy)

The Flash - Crazy Wind "Cause he's always creating those tornadoes with his incredible speed" (See above)

Arrow - Creepy Women  (ditto)

Arrow - Crazy War "Cause Arrow is always fighting and I think that's cool" (yep, the same)

The Flash - Colorful Wardrobe (you guessed it)

Arrow - Crabby Women "Oh how about that!"  (Two women, the one speaking probably early fifties with a younger woman late twenties nodding and saying "yes, yes")

Interesting snapshot I thought. 

Hey, Fellow Twin Citizen! I haven't seen that promo because Tivo rules my world.

:D  Well hello there! 

I literally just saw it while catching up on the board and letting Celebrity Name Game play in the background.  Yup. hit pause and rewound it several times.  Normally I rely on my DVR too.  ;)

It feels like it's been off the air forever. Now that P&R's over, I'm just desperate for my comedy fix (I'll only watch this season of Community if Jeff and Annie won't end up together, I just hate this "romance" so much).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Community isn't the same. They ran out of ideas and are running out of characters. But instead of focusing on the characters they have left, they're just pushing these new people, and spending way too much time on Chang and the increasingly tiresome Dean.

That last episode, with the convicts, was possibly the worst episode they've ever done. I'd have to compare it to the Dreamatorium episode and the one where Jeff and Britta wage war against teenagers to be sure, but I just don't want to put myself through any of those three episodes again.

Sadly, I'm starting to get weary of Brooklyn Nine Nine because of the writers' insistence on forcing the repellent Gina on me. I want nothing whatsoever to do with that dreadful character, and I cannot fathom what her appeal is supposed to be.

Huh, I thought that Community had been cancelled.

Mad Men feels like it's focusing too much on people I don't care about when there are only a few episodes left.  I don't care about Joan's new guy, who she's known all of five minutes, or Sally's flirty friend who has the hots for Don.  What especially creeps me out, however, is Weiner's real-life son making the moves on Betty.  That just feels so so very wrong.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
Mad Men feels like it's focusing too much on people I don't care about when there are only a few episodes left.  I don't care about Joan's new guy, who she's known all of five minutes, or Sally's flirty friend who has the hots for Don.

I can't agree with that because it's not focusing on the new characters but rather how these new people effect the characters we know. How new guy is to Joan etc. 

Sadly, I'm starting to get weary of Brooklyn Nine Nine because of the writers' insistence on forcing the repellent Gina on me. I want nothing whatsoever to do with that dreadful character, and I cannot fathom what her appeal is supposed to be.

I don't get it either. 

I don't mind Gina. She's not that great, but she doesn't ruin the show for me. She even works with some characters, like Boyle. I was disappointed their "romance" was over so fast, it was kinda funny.

• Love 1

Orphan Black is back and I think proves that acting does make a huge difference. The shows plotlines by themselves are all over the place, it's Tatiana's performance as a variety of characters that overrides all that. The way she's made each character distinct and whole is amazing that you forget you are watching one person playing all of them. She even manages to make you feel sorry for each of them in different ways even the ones that have done horrible things to others. Without her the show probably wouldn't have lasted. Now she can add playing a scorpion to her already impressive repertoire. 

• Love 5

I really didn't like season 2 of OB and will probably wait until this season's over to binge-watch it. But I totally agree that Tatiana's all kinds of awesome. Too bad the writing's not that good. Just imagine her playing Eliza Dushku's Echo on Dollhouse (that show was pretty sucky during the network-influenced first season but gradually became pretty great).

I thought this was an Apirl's Fools joke when I first I heard about it. Netflix ordered a 13 episode Full House spin off titled "Fuller House" about eldest daughter DJ who is recently widowed. Her sister Stephanie and best friend Kimmy and Kimmy's teenage daughter move in with her to help take care of her two sons, one who is named JD. 

http://tvline.com/2015/04/20/fuller-house-netflix-season-1-cast/

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

On Orphan Black, I'm not sure how I'm going to like the increased presence of the new guy, Mark (and whatever other names he goes by).  He's a creeper.

I saw some gifs online, so I was curious about Bates Motel.  Holy hell, that show is bizarre and I was really confused about who people are, and what's going on.  I suppose that will happen when you try to jump into a show in the third season.

I thought this was an Apirl's Fools joke when I first I heard about it. Netflix ordered a 13 episode Full House spin off titled "Fuller House" about eldest daughter DJ who is recently widowed. Her sister Stephanie and best friend Kimmy and Kimmy's teenage daughter move in with her to help take care of her two sons, one who is named JD. 

http://tvline.com/2015/04/20/fuller-house-netflix-season-1-cast/

I hope it was Steve that bit the big one.  I'm just random that way. 

I saw some gifs online, so I was curious about Bates Motel.  Holy hell, that show is bizarre and I was really confused about who people are, and what's going on.  I suppose that will happen when you try to jump into a show in the third season.

Bates Motel is batshit crazy and I love it. Not many shows where you can both feel creeped out and sad for a budding serial killer. It's also the most incestuous show you will ever watch. 

I hope it was Steve that bit the big one.  I'm just random that way.

I don't think he did. The title is play off the original's name, DJ's last name is Fuller. I believe Steve had a different last name. 

Edited by Sakura12
It's also the most incestuous show you will ever watch.

I suppose it's all subtext though. Nothing will feel incestuous enough for me after "The Borgias" which managed to convince the majority of the fandom to root for a brother/sister couple - and they got their wish!

I'm probably alone in this but I have no idea what Full House is. I guess some old show?

Edited by FurryFury

I'm probably alone in this but I have no idea what Full House is. I guess some old show?

Yeah, it's an old family friendly show about a widower father raising his three daughter (the youngest was played by the Olsen Twins) with their uncle and his best friend. So basically the new show is the opposite of the old one. 

With incest, Bates Motel has the mother and son spooning all the time, the mother kissed her 17 year old son on the lips and the son spends his time trying to make his mother jealous. 

Still not incesty enough for me. Even Game of Thrones is more graphic. Incest subtext is nothing special at this point. I think there was even some Disney show with a lot of questionable brother/sister scenes (and a huge number of shippers).

Edited by FurryFury