Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: A Feast Of Friends

And now the comparisons to Doctor Who end because Constantine's solution at the end was COLD. I don't think I've ever seen a hero deliberately sacrifice someone else's life like that on network TV.

The imagery of the hunger demon was also quite disgusting. This was the kind of stuff I was actually hoping for to make the show stand out. If we get more interesting moral dilemmas like this, I will keep watching.

But what happened to Chas this time? He keeps getting sidelined for no apparent reason. I'm guessing the real reason is that the actor wasn't contracted to appear in every episode this season, but did we really have to have two episodes in a row where he's off on some errand while Constantine has exposition with Zed?

• Love 4

And now the comparisons to Doctor Who end because Constantine's solution at the end was COLD. I don't think I've ever seen a hero deliberately sacrifice someone else's life like that on network TV.

The Doctor actually just did that this past season ("Into the Dalek"). It was also done on Torchwood.

I don't really compare Constantine and the Who shows though, other than having snarky white guys with British accents and women who are there to ask questions that advance the plot.

• Love 3

Best episode so far, this was really dark and twisted in all the right ways. I admit I figured out the ending once we had the Shaman trip but I wasn't really sure they'd go there, no last minute happy ending. I was glad Constantine gave Gary the choice, I admit it wasn't much of a choice, figured he'd do it no matter what Gary said but it worked for me.

I'm really digging John and Zed is growing on me but I missed Chas. We also need more from Manny, I'm really curious about him and find his interactions with Constantine interesting.

• Love 4

I did not expect the show to go that dark either. It was a hard decision and I think he was lying to Gary Lester at the bar. I think he was buttering him up for the sacrifice. Cold.

Comic book fans, how did Constantine make the guard dance?

• Love 2

The Doctor actually just did that this past season ("Into the Dalek"). It was also done on Torchwood.

I don't really compare Constantine and the Who shows though, other than having snarky white guys with British accents and women who are there to ask questions that advance the plot.

If I remember correctly, the Doctor didn't trick that poor soldier into making the sacrifice and probably wouldn't have forced the issue if she had refused. But ok, fair point.

By the way, that cop at the beginning had very strange ears. I was expecting him to be a demon before he turned out to be yet another victim who was too dumb to live.

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 1

The resolution was definitely one of my favorite parts about this episode.  Not just because Constantine sacrificed Gary and it wasn't wrapped up in a neat bow, but the fact that he tricked him into that situation, and knew full-well that his guilt would make him agree to it. Glad to see that the character and show has a bit of an edge to it.  As much as I enjoy shows like Grimm, it always feels like there are barely any tough decisions or sacrifices in similar situations.  Was the Gary character from the comics?

Fun seeing Charles Parnell from The Last Ship as the The Shaman.  Of course, like as I said it that thread, I still think of him first as that guy from one of those cell phone commercials (I still can't remember which one.  I just remember him.)

Zed continues to slowly improve, since they've tone down the flirtation between her and Constantine.  On the other hand, no Chas is not a good thing.

The Hunger Demon was gross as all get out.  But, I think the squick moment of the episode might go to The Shaman taking out Constantine's eye, and putting it in his own socket during their "trip."

• Love 3

I cried at Gary's sacrifice/atonement.  It was pretty much foregone, due to how things work in John's life/sphere of influence, yet I found myself very touched by how honestly Gary was willing to do this.  It wasn't just Astra, but how he has dealt with Newcastle since The Incident and that he allowed the hunger demon to be loosed on Atlanta.

I appreciate Zed's anger, but she was ignoring Gary's need, one might say hunger, to make things right. To do something big and meaningful. I think that Containing a demon counts. Also, as John pointed out, like John seeks these situations out? No. It was a crappy thing to say, still early in her training with John. She barely knows him and accused John of using someone's love for John against their better judgment.  She wasn't there; she can't say. It was cruel and unnecessary. At least she realized how out of line she was and pitched in to help with Gary.

It was creeptastic and unnerving and the trip at Nonno's was what I'd expect for primetime, yet not derailing.  I wonder why Gary didn't have someone make up some fake papers that would claim the jar was an artifact and the contents were on their way to be tested somewhere. That would have kept Sheriff Roscoe from jumping to lethal conclusions. "This ain't my first rodeo!" In this ring it was.  First and last.

Cold? Was giving those dealers that bean/whatever! No mere mortal could be ready for that jelly.

I, too, missed Chas. I love his face and voice. He's somehow a bit comforting; I can't explain it.  

Except for my complaint about her at the end, I am still enjoying Zed. I loved her at the park and her delight with seeing the coins.  Matt Ryan is doing just fine and I keep enjoying him every week!

Papa midnight next week! Whee!!

• Love 1

Was the Gary character from the comics?

According to the reviews I read, yes he was. Both he and Constantine seem more sympathetic in the TV series than in the comics apparently. I dread to think how a protagonist who's willing to manipulate and sacrifice his own friend/fanboy can get any darker.

I wonder why Gary didn't have someone make up some fake papers that would claim the jar was an artifact and the contents were on their way to be tested somewhere.

He didn't seem particularly collected to think of a better plan, or any plan really. Did he smuggle in a cup of bugs just to show Constantine he wasn't 'hopeless'? He should have tried to get rid of it in Sudan.

http://youtu.be/nsDbkgXcxlk

TPtB talks about Gary Lester and the sacrifice.

Edited by kwerkee

That last scene killed me and made the episode.  That was really well done, especially since it was without dialouge.  Just great acting, great cinematography and really fitting music (Bear McCreary is a bloody brilliant composer). 

I liked the first 3 episodes well enough, but this episode really nailed the feel of John Constantine and I'm genuinely looking forward to the next episodes.  If anyone is not aware, this storyline is lifted almost straight from Hellblazer #1, with some tweaks to make it work for the TV show.  It's a pretty faithful adaptation of that book, even though it "sanitised" the ending a bit.

In the comic John tricks Gary to undergo the possession, but Gary doesn't want to do it at all. John shoots him up with heroin and lets him be possessed while Gary is too high to resist. Rather than sitting by Gary's side while he's being eaten inside out, he gets shitfaced so he doesnt have to witness it. I would note that Gary has no redeeming qualities at all in the comic though.

• Love 3

Now that's the Constantine I know and love: Snarky and cynical, and dark!!!!! Damn that ending was *cold*.  The vision quest was appropriately creepy and surreal, and gross. The bit with the eyeballs *shudder*. I loved the Shaman. He was the opposite of Papa Midnight, and I hope we'll see him again. He exuded power.

Zed and Constantine have wonderful chemistry-

not surprising since her and John have a relationship in the comics

. It was turned down from the forced UST in the second ep. But perhaps they felt she had to make an impression?  

The hunger Demon gave me flashback to The Mummy films or maybe it was just the bugs?

Matt Ryan at the end made me hurt, and Manny turning up, dropping the haunty angel façade and just sitting there next to him and waiting was a beautifully dark image to end the episode on.

Edited by SilverStormm
Comics Talk Tagged
  • Love 1

I appreciate Zed's anger, but she was ignoring Gary's need, one might say hunger, to make things right. To do something big and meaningful. I think that Containing a demon counts. Also, as John pointed out, like John seeks these situations out? No. It was a crappy thing to say, still early in her training with John. She barely knows him and accused John of using someone's love for John against their better judgment.

I think she was pretty much correct in saying John used Gary's love for him to get him to agree to the sacrifice. The show made a big deal of showing that Gary hero-worshiped John and how little John thought of Gary. They had John straight out tell Zed that he didn't think people could change. So when John is talking to Gary in the bar, everything he said sounded calculated to play off that hero worship. Telling Gary that he was still his mate, that he was forgiven for Astra, that John didn't really think all that badly of Gary, and that he thought Gary could change. Even the, "it wasn't your world" line only makes Gary want to prove he can be part of John's world.

I agree that Gary had a powerful need to make things right and achieve some sort of redemption. But I think it was redemption in John's eyes, not any general or religious desire. Otherwise, why was he even coming to Atlanta? He had the thing contained, why not bury or hide it there? One of the first things he says when describing how he pulled it out of that guy is, "you should have seen me John!". Trying to get John's approval, trying to show he fit into his world. He came to Atlanta to brag, to show he could do things right. John used all of that to get him to agree to the sacrifice.

Not that I think John had much of a choice. People were dying and Gary was the most logical sacrifice, if you think about it in a completely cold way.

• Love 2

I thought that was by far the strongest episode so far. I finally recognize the main character, and he was acting like the main character.

I'm still not sold on Zed, though:

She barely knows him and accused John of using someone's love for John against their better judgment.  She wasn't there; she can't say.

Yeah, this. She's known him for what, ten minutes? 

• Love 1

Hmm, I saw the 'twist' coming the moment John was in the dream with the Shaman. Even so, I feel the sacrifice was unecessary. John only carved the symbols after the demon had entered his friend (i.e. it didn't need to be pre-carved).  Just have Gary hold the popcorn-eating guy down and carve the runes on him, I say. The guy was dead anyway.

Edited by Trek

Even so, I feel the sacrifice was unecessary. John only carved the symbols after the demon had entered his friend (i.e. it didn't need to be pre-carved). Just have Gary hold the popcorn- eating guy down and carve the runes on him, I say. The guy was dead anyway.

The guy couldn't and didn't make that choice. And while he was still alive and his guts hadn't been eaten out, he could still survive the exorcism, I think?

Angel Dark, thanks for the rundown of the original storyline. That was depressing.

Edited by kwerkee
  • Love 1

Perhaps, but from the immigaration cop, to the supermarket woman to the many in the meat locker, it seemed the demon leaves a dead husk behind when it departs even if it only inhabits someone for a few minutes.

ETA: Was it just me, or did Garry look a bit like Kevin Spacey?

Edited by Trek

I took it as, the demon only leaves when there's nothing left to feed on. In popcorn guy's case, it was forced out of him before the damage was fully done. I have to rewatch it again but I thought the shaman sought out a volunteer too. Because the volunteer would be suffering for days before he was to expire.

Which reminds me. That shaman cut off the guy's tongue to stop the curse from coming back to him. Did Constantine do it off screen or plain forgot, and this curse will come back to haunt him?

The shaman did not seek out a volunteer; he chose someone in his village. Perhaps the boy nominally agreed, due to the shaman's influence over the people, but he was not presented as a consenting adult. His tongue needed to be cut out, lest he (under the demon's influence maybe) curse the shaman. Though Constantine manipulated Gary, Gary did agree to do it in the end. Perhaps that is why Constantine did not feel the need to cut out his tongue -- the chances that he would curse Constantine were lower. Not zero, but lower -- enough that John couldn't bring himself to cut out his mate's tongue, maybe. 

This episode was gross, which I didn't like. But it was also dark and complex, which I did like. Another show would have Gary show up, independently, after Constantine's attempt to contain the demon failed, and nobly sacrifice himself without the hero roping him into it. Sad, but no hard moral choices required. Alternatively, the show could have had Constantine not give Gary any choice in the matter. That level of coldness can sometimes work in a novel or graphic novel, but I think it would go too far for a new TV series, in terms of alienating the main character from the audience. Instead, John is clearly somewhat morally culpable for Gary's torturous death, yet he doesn't quite become a moral monster. Typically, I find Manny to be a bit smug and annoying, but I liked him and John in the last scene.

• Love 2

Really loved this episode! Imagine if we didn't have the Liv pilot, had Zed from the get go and this being episode two, that could have been amazing. Upon rewatch, do you think John's early speech about Gary's wasted life was basically John's way to rationalize what he would have to do? Dude, chills...

• Love 2

Yes, this episode was pretty good. Even though the ending was sanitized in comparison to the original storyline, it still worked. The music over the last scene was powerful. So far I am liking how they are weaving in good chunks from the comic book canon and putting their own spin on it for this TV iteration. The cast is growing on me. Zed is still a bit of a psychic Mary Sue but I don't mind her too much. As long as she's part of the ensemble she serves a purpose. 

• Love 1

I thought this was the strongest episode of the series to date.  Gary was so needy, and hungry for forgiveness and for John's respect, and John manipulated him into hosting the demon.  I thought it was dark and twisted and amazing to watch.  Gary was so willing, I felt pity for him.  He didn't care about anything except finding a place for himself in Johns' world, for atoning for his part in the Newcastle debacle because it cost him John's friendship.  He didn't really find his own strength until he put his life on the board.  I hope Manny came to ease his suffering as much as to support John through the consequences of his decision to use Gary. 

I'm still not feeling Zed.  The psychic art seems useful but now she's a touch clairvoyant and a bit of something else, and it just seems plot-convenient.  Why not have her develop these other skills over time rather than because the plot needs them now?  I find the writing is pushing her at me, rather than using the character when it makes sense.  I think this episode would have worked fine with her giving Constantine the drawings of the Sudanese host which sent him off on his vision quest.  I didn't need to see the inner workings of Gary's addiction when the actor was already doing a fine job of showing me how desperate he was. 

• Love 1

Good episode, liked the introduction of Gary Lester and the history between him and Constantine in this one.

However I do think his big sacrifice moment was done a little too quickly to have a real impact though. It should've been a few episodes down the line rather than his first one though.

Some great scenes with John and Zed in this one too. I'm starting to like her a bit more now.

Manny needs to do something interesting and pretty soon too, 7/10