Type keyword(s) to search

Big Hero 6 (2014)

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

Saw the movie today. Compared to the live-action Marvel movies, it falls flat. By itself? Not bad. I give it a "B" . . . not as good as The Lego Movie, but it's a fun ride. Baymax steals the show as the cuddliest robot ever invented. I know, I know . . . but you'd cut yourself if you tried to snuggle WALL-E.

There is an after-credits epilogue: dorky Fred finds out his father is a secret superhero. Voiced by and modeled after Stan Lee, of course. It's a cute scene, but it pales -- once again -- to the live-action Marvel movies, especially when you have a full bladder and you really have to go to the restroom. Oh, and I don't think this would tie BH6 to The Incredibles, though I'm guessing that won't stop some people.

ETA: The short film preceding BH6 -- "Feast" -- was also pretty cute. It wasn't annoying, even after going through a seemingly infinite amount of kiddy movie trailers, including the Annie relaunch. Not happening for me, guys.

I loved it.  I loved almost everything about it.  My kids, who are huge Frozen fans (dear God, if I had to hear those songs again, I thought I'd throw something at the tv) liked it even better than that one.  But then, my daughter and I (my son, not so much) are huge science geeks and had just attended a STEM conference for girls from 5th-9th grade, so seeing two, very different kinds of girls, in the movie was a plus. And Baymax was adorable. I don't think you can compare it to The Incredibles (which I also really liked), either.

Feast was cute--not the best short film I've seen at these kinds of movies.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
There is an after-credits epilogue: dorky Fred finds out his father is a secret superhero.

Drat, I left too soon and missed that! Means I gotta go see it again now.

I really liked it, more than I thought I would. And I don't think any comparisons to The Incredibles are fair, although there are some similarities. And Feast made me weepy even before the movie started. I give it a B.

• Love 1

My favorite part was the early stuff with Hiro and Baymax and Tadashi's friends especially Gogo. Also loved the car chase. I live in San Francisco and seeing it mixed in with Tokyo in a near futuristic setting was fun.

Feast was cute.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed this.  It wasn't knock your socks off good, but it was enjoyable.  It made me cry on four separate occasions, which most animated features as of late haven't been able to do.  The twists were unexpected. 

We stayed till the end of the credits and I knew something was coming, but didn't expect what came.  I think they are preparing us for a time when we wont be able to see the real person, perish the thought.

I was thrown of by the pronunciation of Hiro by Honey Lemon, having grown up around oriental people, I felt it was forced, and I couldn't understand why.

It was fun, and it tugged my heart on more than one occasion, I keep feeling that I should like it much more than I did.

I like animals in my animated features.  Don't ask me why, I just do.  I think that is why I can only give it a B- instead of a B+ or even an A- ... weird, I know, but that is me.  ::giggle::

I was thrown of by the pronunciation of Hiro by Honey Lemon, having grown up around oriental people, I felt it was forced, and I couldn't understand why.

According to the actress Genesis Rodriguez, while they were recording they were coming up with different accents for Honey Lemon and they decided she should have an Spanish accent and say some Spanish words when she says Hiro's name(although they must have cut out the Spanish words part).

• Love 1

I finally saw this last night, and enjoyed it overall.  I totally dug the nerd girls (because I'm one, too!), especially Gogo   And I love that Fred got to be a fire-breathing lizard.  But I did have some issues with the movie.  I know, it's just a movie, but still.  And it's possible that some of my questions/issues wouldn't exist if I were familiar with the source material.

I was hoping they'd Iron Giant me and the original Baymax would come back.  It seemed awfully cavalier of our heroes to apparently gloss over Baymax 1.0 and just build a new one. 

It also bugged me that Callaghan got his daughter back (even though he was clearly going away for a long time), when Tadashi was gone for good.

Was the idea of the microbots completely scrapped?  They're still a good concept, for the reasons Hiro outlined in his presentation.  But do the microbots only answer to one magic headband?  Could Hiro have built another one and pitted his brain against Callaghan's for control of the microbots? 

What was the aunt doing while Hiro was gone for days, saving the world?  Things like that always bug me -- it's worse when the person leaves a pet unattended for days.  At least The Incredibles got a baby sitter for Jack. 

I did like Feast.

I was hoping they'd Iron Giant me and the original Baymax would come back.  It seemed awfully cavalier of our heroes to apparently gloss over Baymax 1.0 and just build a new one.

I think that the 'new' Baymax was the original one, in the sense that the chip Hiro found in the armour fist belonged to him so had his whole personality, experiences and memories. It was just his exterior that was new, so they didn't so much build a new one as rebuild him. What bugged me was that I don't get how the chip ended up in the fist - if Baymax had removed the chip himself before firing, he wouldn't have known to fire Hiro and Abigail to safety, would he?

I liked it a lot, but I would've liked it even more if it hadn't been a superhero-vs-villain movie. (I thought the title, "Big Hero 6", referred to Baymax.)

Edited by Schweedie

Okay, I can buy the rebuilding part, but you're right about the chip.  How did Baymax remove it before firing the glove and shutting down (especially if the evil fighting chip was still installed)?

Browncoat, I think the evil fighting chip was removed after Hiro and the others went to that island, and Hiro flipped out and wanted Baymax to kill the guy who caused the explosion. I don't believe it was re-inserted, since Hiro tried to open the slot and couldn't.

• Love 1

Oh man, I ADORED Baymax. He was so sweet. I was endlessly amused by the visual gags surrounding his physical self. Him shuffling along squeaking a little as his rubber legs rubbed together, him taping up his punctures, him excusing his "air release" when he had to deflate a bit to fit through a hole...loved all of it.

I was also sad to see him rebuilt until the hubby pointed out that the replacement WAS actually Baymax because the chip which contained his personality etc. was salvaged.

Baymax's therapies for Hiro were great; very touching. I also enjoyed him petting the cat all "haaaaaairy baby". :D

I was very pleased that there was a 'girly girl' scientist. Nice to see that she was allowed to be all "Barbie" in appearance yet still nerdy and smart.

I will admit to tearing up a few times. Particularly when Baymax played his video of Hiro's brother after his umpteenth "he is HERE" statement.

The hubby and I got a bit of the giggles though when Hiro is introduced (no parents!) and then promptly loses his brother (thanks, Disney!). Honestly, is there some rule which prevents Disney protagonists from having both parents in their lives?

• Love 4

I caught this on the plane coming home from vacation - overall, it was an enjoyable film but not "great."  I'd rate it a B.

I had a serious problem with the villain of the film amongst other little things:

• I didn't mind that Hiro and Tadashi were orphans (the Disney tradition as it were) but I thought Hiro's whole role seemed to be all about experiencing loss.  It wasn't enough to have lost his parents, but so soon he loses his brother, his invention (to the villain), and Baymax.  A kid can only take so much!

• It made no sense for Callahan to have set all this up and to have known the microbots would protect him from the explosion and fire.  

• As mentioned, why didn't Hiro create another control headband for his minibots?

• Callahan's daughter is found, but now her father is going to prison and in a twist of irony, be separated from her again .

• Did Hiro ever get his microbots back?  That question I don't recall ever having been answered.  Even if all of them got sucked up into that dimension, he could still develop more right? 

• Hiro is at Fred's mansion building their weapons and costumes and trains the team to use them in a fight - presumably that took days of not weeks - was his aunt aware he wasn't home during all this time?

• I'm bummed they killed off Tadashi - I think he would have been a good character to keep around. 

• Why was Hiro so obsessed with hiding Baymax from his aunt when he went to follow the microbot?  Half of San Fransokyo saw him, and he was a science project of Tadashi's anyway.

On the plus side, I loved Baymax!  Where did he get that lollipop anyway?  I also loved that two faced fighting bot Hiro created for the fight!  I loved seeing it take apart the competition! 

I watched this last night and was really entertained. I don't care if it was sappy or silly. It's a good movie to switch off, sit back and just enjoy. But even then, I thought it did well with many of the characters and the story. I LOVED Baymax.

It made no sense for Callahan to have set all this up and to have known the microbots would protect him from the explosion and fire. 

Callahan seems to have thought of it on spur of the moment after seeing the potential of the minibots. Also if the robots can construct buildings out of themselves then they should make a shield from explosion and fire. 

As mentioned, why didn't Hiro create another control headband for his minibots?

The materials and equipment were destroyed so he couldn't make one.

Plus the controller like another controller would have frequencies etc or   security settings such as encrypted transmissions. The villain could have also altered the minibots so they wouldn't accept another headband signals. 

Did Hiro ever get his microbots back?  That question I don't recall ever having been answered.  Even if all of them got sucked up into that dimension, he could still develop more right?

The equipment to build them was destroyed plus the whole them being used to nearly destroy the world would make him hesitant about building them again. 

Hiro is at Fred's mansion building their weapons and costumes and trains the team to use them in a fight - presumably that took days of not weeks - was his aunt aware he wasn't home during all this time?

He would have gone home everynight or his friends would have made arrangements with her for him to stay over like a slumber party or something.

Why was Hiro so obsessed with hiding Baymax from his aunt when he went to follow the microbot?  Half of San Fransokyo saw him, and he was a science project of Tadashi's anyway.

But they didn't know who he was. Nor did the aunt knew what Tadashi was doing. His aunt would be trying to protect him if she knew what he was doing. She already lost one nephew she wouldn't want to lose the other. 

Callahan seems to have thought of it on spur of the moment after seeing the potential of the minibots. Also if the robots can construct buildings out of themselves then they should make a shield from explosion and fire.

Except shielding one from fire doesn't necessarily protect you from heat damage.  I think of the old "fireproof boxes" in which money or other valuable papers would be kept. Sure the box survives the fire, but the heat destroyed what was in the box.   

Yeah, I'm probably overthinking this.

That is cause those are fire resistant to a certain temp or amount of time exposed to the fire. Above that temp or time then the interior contents would be destroyed. Below the contents are intact.  Note this is only if the safe has a fire seal which expands in the presence of heat to seal the safe. .A number of safes advertised as fire proof had no fire seal nor were rated to resist an hour or two of a house fire at 1850F. 

Sorry OT but those metal bots could provide a moveable shield around him to move about. He would only be there for a minute or two in the fire.