Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: New Directions

Lisin

Very lame.

I hate watch the hell out of this show and my husband watched with me for the first time in years this past week. He was absolutely appalled and confused. "Why are they still in high school? Why does it say 2013? Who are those people?"

Apparently, Glee no longer appeals to the casual viewer. If they ever did.

I did enjoy the video montage for Will because it felt so season 1-ish. That was about it.

Every time they've brought the cast members who have graduated back to McKinley it has only served to prove that the newbies are bo-ring. This show has seriously gone off the rails, overturned, and is lying in a ditch, but I can't stop watching it. I'm glad they're focusing on New York from now until the end of the show next season.

Seeing the veterans return in these last two episodes just reminds me I would have continued watching this crappy show forever if they were still on it.  I'm sure it's de rigueur for showrunners to have enormous egos, but even given that, how do you ever lose sight of the fact that your cast is what your viewers are in love with?  

Anyhow, I was really just happy to see everyone again, especially my precious Heather.  I can put up with a raft of crap if it involves sweet Brittana scenes.

So weak.

• Love 3

I can put up with a raft of crap if it involves sweet Brittana scenes.

So weak.

How did you feel about Santana's portrayal? The whole "I'm just mean" thing came across to me as "I'm a complete moron who is mean because when confronted with something I can't think through or understand I just go nuts". 

I dunno, they had moved her on so much while still keeping her snark in NY. She was still Santana but, you know, growing? And then she just regressed to being a stupid child. I saw the regression here as them making her stupid (so Brittany can be smart?) and I hate it when people are made stupid when they're not.

I didn't think too much about it, tbh.  The writers have several times in the past resorted to making Santana OTT mean to use it as a plot device [ex: escalating the argument with Finn to the point where he was quasi-justified in outing her].  I make no bones about how little I think of the Glee writers.  Most people I know with a high school degree whose first language is English and who have seen tv before could undoubtedly do better than RIB.  So I seldom get worked up over bad characterization anymore, and just feel like patting them on the head when they get something remotely right.  In that vein I counted Brittany's return to season 2 levels of quirky but genuinely insightful emotional intelligence as a blessing.

Long story short, I didn't think Santana seemed dumb, per se, and I recognized her OTT viciousness from times when they've used that as a plot shortcut in the past.

I think this show's terrible, but unfortunately and confoundingly have had a hell of a time trying to quit it.

They missed the perfect opprtunity to name this ep "101 Directions", I'm also partial to "101 Directioners"
Either way it is very apt.

My biggest issue with the resolve of the Santana and Rachel fight is it apparently boiled down to Santana being mean, and not Rachel being crazy and Rachel about being Funny Girl.

Rachel took it as a personal attack that Santana would even dare to audition to be her understudy and how most of the shots of crazy were fired by Rachel with Santana not backing down.

I found the worst thing about that is Santana went with that she is too lazy for 8 shows a week. If she was a Cheerio and in Glee, plus all her classes, that girl wouldn't have had time for anything in high school, none of that is lazy. Find a better reason.

Would play as a wonderful finale. Shame it's not.

• Love 1

Anyhow, I was really just happy to see everyone again, especially my precious Heather.

Same here! I hadn't really watched Glee since s4, but it was wonderful seeing the originals together again. Nothing against the new kids, since I think they were somewhat destined to fail with these writers, but the chemistry between the old cast is really something.

Anyway, the plot for both episodes was it's usual choppy mess, but there were some lovely moments. The tribute video to Will and DSB got me way more emotional than I was expecting, and in many ways it did feel like a nice series finale. And finally seeing Brittany graduate was particularly special for me.

I found the worst thing about that is Santana went with that she is too lazy for 8 shows a week. If she was a Cheerio and in Glee, plus all her classes, that girl wouldn't have had time for anything in high school, none of that is lazy. Find a better reason.

I know that bothered a lot of people, but my read on that was never that the show was saying Santana was lazy.  The show showed us the real reason she wasn't doing it, in private [and oh my God, Glee actually did show us something instead of telling us.  Someone get it a cookie].  The fact is Santana just didn't feel like she owed Rachel the real explanation: "This isn't actually my dream, I was doing it in part to spite you and prove to myself that I could do this had I wanted to, and I'm going to go island hopping with Brittany for the next six months.  If you cup your hand to your ear you can hear the sound of a thousand fan fic keyboards springing to life right now."  Or something like that.

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 1

What bugs me is that Santana probably has a contract and CAN'T just walk away. Not without seriously messing up her chances of working in theater and possibly in performing arts in general. Broadway may not be your dream, but walking out on your first seriously professional gig if you're trying to make it in show business? Not good form. Brittany is still a college student (or maybe a lab test subject). It's a different stage of life.

• Love 2

What bugs me is that Santana probably has a contract and CAN'T just walk away.

Ah I see what you did there - reality and Glee? Noble effort, but sadly any logical conclusion based on reality just ain't gonna happen ;)

But anyway, I found the whole plotline poorly done, overwrought, and thought it dragged on too long because it was done badly. I'm glad they got passed it.

There were some good jokes but all in all it wasn't a great episode. I think season 5 has been kind of weak and the latter half of the season has really been making the push towards moving the show to New York. The graduation and the very quick send off of the 2.0's shows how much the show cared about Tina, Marley, Jake, Ryder, Kitty, and Wade/Unique. I did think it was funny how they kept teasing Tina maybe making the transfer to New York. I kind of wish Jake and Unique could somehow make the transfer to New York because they are talented performers but I think this is the last we'll see of them. They might manage to drag Kitty in for a cameo or two if she keeps dating Artie long distance.

I'm a little disappointed about how the Puck/Quinn relationship worked out. I think it makes a lot of sense but there's still a little corner of my heart reserved for Puckleberry and if they were going to pair Rachel with anyone but Finn (or Jesse St. James before they made him ridiculous) it would have been Puck. If they're serious about pushing Rachel and Sam in New York, season 6 is going to be rough.

I'm glad they squashed the Rachel/Santana conflict for so many reasons. Santana was never believable to me as a Broadway star, at least in Funny Girl. It prevented me from enjoying both characters when they were on screen because I had to choose sides. It was just unpleasant to watch characters I like fighting.

I know April and Holly were a little crazy when they were first introduced but they actually seemed insane and unstable when they came back for these two episodes.

• Love 1

This was one of the better episodes for me in the past 2 seasons, not that the bar was very high. I think I came in with such low expectations that the fact that Will's tribute video and the end scene in the choir room brought a tear to my eye reminded me that once in a while this show can still do something right. I didn't even mind the newbies so much this week, their final scene felt like it had just the right amount of emotion, and while I'm glad they're off my scene at least they got a few lines of dialogue each to say goodbye.

Santana's over the top meanness bugged me a little last week, mostly because I agree rehashing the Santana/Rachel feud (which seemed to be slowly resolving a few weeks ago only to go back into overdrive once they got to Ohio) was just tiresome so I'm glad that's done with now. Why waste Santana's screen time which could have been spent reconnecting with people she hadn't seen in a while (although the Brittana scenes were nice) just to go through the motions of another pointless feud about a part she doesn't even want that much. Hopefully that plot has been put to rest but this is Glee and I won't get my hopes up. 

I'm a little disappointed about how the Puck/Quinn relationship worked out. I think it makes a lot of sense but there's still a little corner of my heart reserved for Puckleberry and if they were going to pair Rachel with anyone but Finn (or Jesse St. James before they made him ridiculous) it would have been Puck. If they're serious about pushing Rachel and Sam in New York, season 6 is going to be rough.

*sob*

I will never understand the hate-on the writers have for Puck/Rachel and their adamant refusal to go there anytime it would make  sense. I used to think it was the threat to Finn/Rachel, but now that's off the table forever and they still won't consider it and instead shove him back with Quinn. That duet and the bit afterwards was hella awkward.

• Love 2

*sob*

I will never understand the hate-on the writers have for Puck/Rachel and their adamant refusal to go there anytime it would make  sense. I used to think it was the threat to Finn/Rachel, but now that's off the table forever and they still won't consider it and instead shove him back with Quinn. That duet and the bit afterwards was hella awkward.

Heh.  I saw Aradia22's post and thought, "Aw!  A friend for SNeaker!"  ;)

As a Brittana fan I know all about being hated by the writers. I think in the case of Puckleberry it was always more about boxing out Puck so Finn could get the rebound.  And now they're just pairing the spares.  In other words I don't think they have antipathy towards Puck and Rachel so much as they have always had zero intention of going there for real.  It is hilarious how little chemistry I think Dianna can muster with him now, though  They look pretty together, but that's about as far as it goes for me.

I'm still astounded about how they wrote Brittana and am waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Ryan must have lost a bet or something.  He legit hates the fans of that ship.

• Love 1

No kidding. I was happy when the last we saw of Quinn was her going back for seconds with Santana. But no, they had to ruin it by bringing her back with a complete ass of a boyfriend who was straight out of a bad romantic comedy, and then having her run back to Puck just so that everything could be tied up in a bow (lack of chemistry notwithstanding). This show. I hate it.

• Love 1

If Santana leaves for good at any sort of point, I'm probably done with this show. I have an odd feeling that there will be less of Santana anyway considering the gang who's going to New York. Sam, Blaine, and Artie? Ugh. I mean, I'm not really excited to watch the misadventures of Blam and I just know what's going to happen.

I think if Santana's vacation ends up permanent I may finally be able to quit this show as well.New York used to be bearable but with the addition of Blam + Artie (who I was never a huge fan of either) even that will probably start to loose whatever charm that portion of the show  once had. I'm tempted to hold on simply because there's little more than a season left at this point, but the characters that look to be moving to NY bring no excitement to me anymore. 

Loved the episode. Which doesn't mean there wasn't plenty to dislike, which is most Glee. Frankly, I consider that part of Glee. For this episode, it was only the cutting of Total Eclipse of the Heart that annoyed me. And not seeing Stoner Brett on the graduation stage. Even the Temple Grandin stuff was only long enough to warrant an extended eye roll, and I thought the rest of Holly's scenes were hilarious. And the Animal Husbandry class's WTF looks at being pulled into a glee club dance routine were hilarious.

On Santana, I love that they had Brittany able to see through her so easily, and that they validated my own thoughts as to Santana's motivations. I had no problem with her going for the understudy role--she didn't do it to undermine Rachel at first. She did it to try that career on for size. And if Rachel hadn't reacted like she did, I think Santana would have decided it didn't fit and quit within a week. But Rachel raged, so Santana activated her "all in" mode, and we were left with a stand-off until Brittany diffused the situation. I've often found Brittany a waste, but I agree with BLT's comments that she was more like the S2 emotional genius Brittany in this episode, which suits her well. I enjoyed her and her dancing in both episodes. Absence makes the heart grow fonder? That, and I loathed her with Sam.

Can't wait to see what nonsensical reasons they come up with to have Will and Sue pop up in the show from time to time.

• Love 1

I liked that Brittany came back for the Brittana fans to get some closure. I never really saw the chemistry there, but that's mainly because I'm really not a Heather Morris fan. I think she's an awesome dancer, but for me, one of the biggest problems with S4 was the heightened focus on Brittany. I've always liked her for her one-off comments, but I don't think she can carry a plot to save her life. Honestly, I really liked Dani and Santana together. They just seemed like they made more sense. But I know how diehard the Brittana fans are and I wanted that for them. I'm an unapologetic Klaine diehard, so I've always appreciated the dedication of the Brittana fans. 

I also liked the Quick ship. If it weren't for Finn's death, I could see them maybe revisiting Puckleberry, but I personally don't want Rachel to end the series with anyone. There's also the fact that I can't stand Rachel, but it's more that I can't see her realistically moving on from Finn in the next year unless there's a big time jump. 

I was a little sad to see the newbies go. The writers so terribly mishandled their integration into the show, but I never hated them as much as some people did. As much as I love and adore Darren Criss, I can understand the annoyance with Blam. Blaine has been such an inconsistent character and I probably wouldn't like him if it weren't for the fact that I'm head over heels for Darren. 

I teared up at the Will video, even though I've pretty much hated him since season 2. I had to roll my eyes a bit at Kurt saying that Will basically saved his life because they've so retconned that entire thing. Will didn't do anything to prevent the bullying against Kurt back in S2, which was when I really started to hate him. I'm hoping that Will won't be on the show next season, though. He really doesn't serve a purpose anymore. Neither does Sue for that matter. 

I'm just so ready for the show to move to New York and end. I'm to the point where I'm just holding on until the bitter end, or as long as Klaine is together, which will be the bitter end. 

Heh.  I saw Aradia22's post and thought, "Aw!  A friend for SNeaker!"  ;)

I'm new here. I would love to have a friend. :)

I won't say that I'm optimistic about New York but I'm not sure it'll be a trainwreck either. I still have a little kernel of hope left for the writers. They still know how to write jokes that make me laugh. I just need them to turn their energy towards plot lines I care about (and not just ones that infuriate me like Rachel vs. Santana for Funny Girl). I don't mind bringing Artie to NY because I like Kevin's voice. I don't think Sam really needed to go but he's basically a blank slate for the writers to do anything with (is there anyone on the cast he hasn't been paired with yet?) so I understand moving him over but if they're going to push Samchel... again, it's going to be a rough last season. I would prefer to see Rachel with a new guy or just on her own (and I think this focus on her career has been a good way to keep her plot line moving forward without having her constantly mourning Finn's death) but I know this show and unless Lea Michele is pushing back against it behind the scenes I feel like a new love interest is a comin'. Count me among the people who never really "got" Heather Morris. I think she's had some nice little jokes and Fondue for Two is cute and there have been a few emotionally affecting Brittana moments but she's not a strong enough actress to really carry too much of the plot. And I did like Dani and Santana even though they've been phasing out Dani for a while now. 

• Love 1

Aw, you guys. Heh.

I will say this, while I am not a Brittany/Santana shipper, it is true that they keep coming back to each other, and particularly in Brit's case she dates around a lot and gets super serious with other people and believes she loves them, but then when it's over she forgets she dated them. In Artie's case, I believe she literally forgot. But she doesn't forget Santana.

I also agree Brittany and Sam could have made for a really cute friendship. But a friendship between a straight girl and a straight guy? Those either get dropped (Puck/Rachel, ahem) or turned into unwatchable romances (Brit/Sam.)

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 1
Count me among the people who never really "got" Heather Morris. I think she's had some nice little jokes and Fondue for Two is cute and there have been a few emotionally affecting Brittana moments but she's not a strong enough actress to really carry too much of the plot. And I did like Dani and Santana even though they've been phasing out Dani for a while now.

Sadly, then, we cannot be friends.  But you'll always have SNeaker after those nice things you said about Puck.

(I kid, I kid.  You're completely wrong about Heather, but I kid.  ;)

I will say this, while I am not a Brittany/Santana shipper, it is true that they keep coming back to each other, and particularly in Brit's case she dates around a lot and gets super serious with other people and believes she loves them, but then when it's over she forgets she dated them. In Artie's case, I believe she literally forgot. But she doesn't forget Santana.

Aw!  Look at me inculcating you!  :)

Edited by bravelittletoaster
If the writers were smart, they would go to the drawing bored on this one. Sam is wrong for a lot of reasons. My big one is I fear since they change Sam at every instance they feel like it-remember he wasn't always silly/stupid, he was kind of raising his kid brother and sister when he lived in a hotel so his parents could save money/work- I fear they will start writing him like Finn. And that makes me sad.

Remember when he had dyslexia and was an impressive athlete? I swear they forgot Sam had dyslexia when they announced Ryder also had dyslexia. 

(edited)

I'm pretty much just along for the ride at this point but this was the best episode I could've asked for to close the Lima chapter. Objectively, it wasn't a particularly good hour of television, but it evoked memories of a better time, IMO. Seeing the (mostly) reunited original cast reminded me of this charming show I used to like about a group of misfits singing cheesy songs and that had some subversive themes. It also made me feel a little bad for the newbies as the were just set up for failure. Not that the original Glee clubbers are so irreplaceable, but I think the reason the newbies failed to gain a lot of traction is that what made the show so enjoyable in the first place was long gone by the time they arrived. I will always root for that gang that "didn't even place" in regionals way back in season 1. (That episode still makes me cry and I'm not afraid to admit it). Hopefully the NY move will give the series a new tone instead of rehashing the same scenarios over and over. And while I don't have strong feelings for or against Sam I agree that his inconsistent characterization could actually work for the show as he is kind of a blank slate.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1