Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Hoʻomāʻike (Unmasked)

• Start Topic

I meant to mention this for last week's episode but it's relevant here too: how exactly does one kidnap Jerry? They would have had to lead him up from the basement. So if Jerry was so bold all he would have had to do was fall backwards and the guy behind him is in for one ruined day. It may sound trite but it's true: fat people are hard to kidnap.

McGarrett is obviously thinking about the new girl as a replacement for what's-her-name. How can I tell? He just met her ten minutes ago and he's already calling her up and asking her for favors. I appreciate that she's not going to just endlessly do favors for him without making him return some.

Weak villain this episode. His dad was bullied in school and did poorly in life as a result (but still lives in Honolulu so there's that) so this kid sees a horror movie, decides to do a copycat routine, murders his dad's bullies and then cuts his dad up?!?!

The bookstore guy is ex-SAS? And his plan was to get captured and harassed by 5-0 so that his accomplice could get away with the money? Weak, although I do like the implication that 5-0's repeated crapping on civil rights has not gone unnoticed and has become somewhat of a weakness for them.

We went from a freighter to a much smaller ship at the end of the episode. I can understand why the villain would switch ships but they never called it out in dialog so I'm assuming it was a continuity glitch.

When did Danny learn to fast-rope from a helicopter onto a ship? I know he hangs around with Steve a lot but seriously? That is not something one picks up in one's spare time.

Speaking of Danny, he sure got over his troubles quickly. He's moping at the beginning but by the end he's forgotten all about his recently murdered brother and is instead jealous of Steve's truly random encounter with a football player.

Jerry would never willingly use a Microsoft Windows Surface 3.0 with Windows 8.1. I will accept that he was forced to use it by virtue of the villain having stolen all of his other stuff.

• Love 3

The most confusing thing about this entire episode was the end scene where Steve asks the new DA where she learned to fish, first it wasn't like she was fly/spear/ fishing or something it was simple rod and reel. But the most confusing part was that she said that she learned to fish because every summer she would go to Australia to visit family, so I were just supposed to assume she picked up a thick Australian accent spending summers there as a child? Just make her freaking Australian who moved to America. 

• Love 1

This was an odd episode.  I liked that the finished up the Jerry/Counterfeiter storyline but the murders were a bit too strange.  Probably because it was an over-the-top reaction to bullying unless one is mentally ill in some way and they didn't fill in a lot of blanks to help with the motivation.  As to the Australian accent, my impression was that the family moved to Hawaii from Australia then went back to visit relatives in the summer.  Mirrah Foulkes is Australian and for me, she's still "Jo", the paramedic in the Aussie series, "All Saints."  I do like her better than the Katherine character so I hope she stays.  It would be interesting to see how they play the switch in McGarrett love interests.  Weakest episode so far this season.

In Jerry's defence falling back on someone with a gun in your back probably takes more guts than he has, and the M16 guy probably would've pulled the trigger.

Otherwise, I completely agree, dwmarch :)  Esp. about the computer usage.

I think they kind of traded "real" plot for creepy plot; I liked the chief (?) running around ruining scary movie endings.  Fun bit of levity added. 

Danny was badass but yeah, improbable. 

Don't like the blonde...but she did give Jerry the chance to say Area 52 was real so there is that, and that alone for me. 

• Love 1

They touched on Danny's angst about Matty's death, and his family's grief process, but nothing at all was said about what else went down in Colombia.  I mean, they killed a bunch of cartel thugs in the heat of the moment, but Danny killed the ringleader point-blank and in cold blood.  Well, not cold blood exactly, Danny was grieving and agitated and angry, but he flat-out executed the guy.  It wasn't self-defense, it wasn't in the heat of battle, it wasn't to save someone else.  It was simple revenge.  At at some level, it should be eating at Danny.  Steve, with his missions as a SEAL and in Naval Intelligence, has probably done and dealt with things like that before, but he's sweeping it under the rug too.  Maybe it will come bubbling out later in the season.

But I did like how even though Danny was ignoring him, and Steve knew it, he still remembered Danny's "thinking spot" from an idle mention years earlier and found him there.  Nice callback to the bromance.

What I didn't like about this episode was that it was like two totally unrelated and simultaneous plotlines and we  yo-yo'd back and forth between them.  It was like I was watching two different episodes.

• Love 2

After, 5 Seasons this show is so hyper fast when it doesn't need to be. I know it's a TV show but 5-0 are everywhere. By land....by sea.....by air......by surfboard.....LOL!!!!! And, another season of random chick for Steve to hook up with. Why?? Also, they have so many cast members it's like, "who's gonna get a line this week?". I miss season 1 when it was the core 4. Am I in the minority on this?

• Love 1

I like this season so far.  This season at least seems to have several long story arcs that stretch over several episodes, unlike in the past when there was just one central mystery (e.g. Doris).  Seems more cohesive, we have Danny and the money/brother, Jerry and the counterfeiter, Kono and Adam, and Steve and Elly.

I enjoyed this episode, even if as mentioned above, the two plots were completely independent.  

I'm extremely puzzled with the thoroughly random cameo of Eric Dickerson.  What was that all about?  Is Eric Dickerson a fan and called up the show and is all "hey I want to be on?"  Who would even recognise Eric Dickerson today, 20 to 30 years after he played football?  He was bald and had sunglasses on.

But the most confusing part was that she said that she learned to fish because every summer she would go to Australia to visit family, so I were just supposed to assume she picked up a thick Australian accent spending summers there as a child? Just make her freaking Australian who moved to America.
It was very evident to me that she is an Australian who moved to Hawaii.  In the last episode, her father has an Australian accent as well, so it seems like she moved to Hawaii with him as a child or teen.  The idea of them flying back to Australia every summer to visit family seems very natural to me, lots of people who have moved to the U.S. regularly return to their homelands to see family.
  • Love 2

I've been enjoying this season too.  The show's foray into storylines this season has definitely been better than the neverending Shelbourne storyline which I will be more than happy if they never bring back again.

I enjoyed this episode.  Laughed when the kid asked the counterfeiter if he had blood on his cheek.

• Love 1
The idea of them flying back to Australia every summer to visit family seems very natural to me, lots of people who have moved to the U.S. regularly return to their homelands to see family.

Yes, I get that she is Australian, it just seemed a ridiculous story to tell when describing how she learned to put a line in the water. Combined with the fact that her Australian accent is so thick, that it would make more sense if she had moved to Hawaii later in life. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I like this season so far. This season at least seems to have several long story arcs that stretch over several episodes, unlike in the past when there was just one central mystery (e.g. Doris). Seems more cohesive, we have Danny and the money/brother, Jerry and the counterfeiter, Kono and Adam, and Steve and Elly.

I enjoyed this episode, even if as mentioned above, the two plots were completely independent.

I'm extremely puzzled with the thoroughly random cameo of Eric Dickerson. What was that all about? Is Eric Dickerson a fan and called up the show and is all "hey I want to be on?" Who would even recognise Eric Dickerson today, 20 to 30 years after he played football? He was bald and had sunglasses on.

It was very evident to me that she is an Australian who moved to Hawaii. In the last episode, her father has an Australian accent as well, so it seems like she moved to Hawaii with him as a child or teen. The idea of them flying back to Australia every summer to visit family seems very natural to me, lots of people who have moved to the U.S. regularly return to their homelands to see family.

The Eric Dickerson cameo was part of a series of 4 cameos by former/mostly former NFL stars--Tony Gonzalez, Boomer Esiason, Eric Dickerson & Phil Simms. Besides H50, they already appeared (in the player order listed) on NCIS & Blue Bloods, & the 4th cameo (Phil Simms) is coming up on Elementary on November 13th.

Here's a link to CBS' press release about the cameos, but it never really explains why they were done. My thought is they were done as a way to promote CBS' NFL coverage, & the recent airing of Thursday night NFL games on the network in particular. Especially since at least 2 of the players involved are/were mentioned in the press release as being Commentators on the Thursday night games carried on CBS.

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=40673

• Love 1

Just watched this, and it's ok for what it was, bridging the early storylines of the season to what comes next, and also filling in before #100 (which I haven't watched yet, but am looking forward to for many reasons, the least worthy of which is seeing Scott Caan in what looks like a buttoned-down aloha shirt).

I'm impressed that there was no direct commentary on Jerry surveilling a bookshop from the same parking place in a bright green van day after day for weeks - of course he was noticed! I like that his basement was cleared out - sad for him, but continuing this forced re-birth that his mother began by putting the house up for sale.  I like that they pointed out the need for off-site backups without making it an anvil - offsite backups and the speed of recovery of same used to be my daily bread and butter, and while it makes sense that Jerry wouldn't trust the cloud, backups of backups are flipping useless when they are kept in the same place.  I like that Jerry slightly fumbled the setup of the tablet on the computer table - new equipment not yet mastered.  

I like that the blood was explained away as fake, and in the end it really was faked.  I loved Grover's take on horror movies, which is in lockstep with mine.

And I love knowing that for the fifth year in a row, there has been a full moon over Hawaii on October 31.

• Love 1

Sorry it took so long. The start with kids Trick Or Treating and we find Thomas Farrow in a butchers apron and blood on it. We see Jerry tied to chair. I wondered why Farrow would kill his associate(Lt. Colin Helms) to get Jerry to talk.

It was nice later how Steve saw the shrapnel scar on Farrow and figured he was ex military. They find out he is actually Major William Corrigan and British. It took some real CSI work to figure out he didn't kill Helms. Steve and Dano repel to ship from helicopter to ship and shoot up the bad guys to find the money in a 55 gal barrel. Should have been Chin repelling with Steve. Farrow tried to make Jerry look like he was crazy.The money laundering caper was solved. It was nice it stretched over a few episodes.

Danny said his parents were Zombies over Matty's death. But being back to work helped a lot. If all knew why Danny was grieving, it would have been better(I think) to have him work with Kono and Grover, and let Chin and Steve work on Farrow. Mix up the teams and use Chin's Military background.Or have the 5 of them work the 2 cases.

The serial killing of bullies from his fathers(Sam Cole) school days to the movie Jack Knife, was interesting. It had a nice twist that the son Aaron Cole did it them and his dad for him not getting a good life. Was nice victim and former bully Brad Weiss(David, Dom Deluise son) apologized for bullying in high school. He was luckier then Teddy and Henry Chung, they died. This case was worked by Chin, Kono and Grover.

Liked Steve talking to NFL Hall Of Fame running back Eric Dickerson at the airport. Then the look on Danny's face when he saw the pictures.

I liked that ADA Ellie Clayton didn't give into the 'Gung ho Cowboys" of the H50 so easily. They needed more proof on Farrow's Book Store, money laundering and kidnapping.

Steve and Ellie fishing was nice. She got Steve to apologize for going behind her back on the warrants. Now they are even.

Yes, I get that she is Australian, it just seemed a ridiculous story to tell when describing how she learned to put a line in the water. Combined with the fact that her Australian accent is so thick, that it would make more sense if she had moved to Hawaii later in life

Mileage varies when it comes to losing childhood accents. Henry Kissinger, for instance, moved to the US when he was 15 and still has an accent as thick as if he'd only lived here a year or two.

I finally caught up with this episode and it always makes me laugh how dumb criminals on this show are. I mean at the end, you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by helicopters. You are not getting away, and other than the guy who helped the main guy kidnap Jerry, the other guys are assumed hired goons who are at most guilty of helping a counterfeit operation. So instead of just putting your hands up, getting arrested and maybe making a deal (or turning on your boss), you decide to get in a shoot out, and maybe add cop killer to the charges? And if they did manage to shoot Steve and Danny, what was there plan after that, considering they were still surrounded by three helicopters and tracked by the Coast Guard.