Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

I love torties, too. Mine was named ShuShu for her ginormous polydactyl feet. I kept one of her polydactyl kittens, a blue named Micheline, then left that bloodline with 2 "normal"-footed littermates Imp and Birdie (black and calico). Current kids are both rescues, long-haired black girls named Lucy and Swiffer. Swiffer is another polydactyl. I guess my favorite cats are black, followed by torties and calicos. I AM partial to polydactyls, too.

• Love 1

That's so funny! My granddaughter and I were making cookies Saturday and my dog Kaylee was right there to help clean up anything we spilled on the floor. I told her we should have named Kaylee Swiffer instead since she's a great mop.

My brother has a polydactyl named 6 Pack.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

LOL She was just the fuzziest kitten and would crawl into tight spaces and emerge covered in cobwebs. In exasperation, I said I might have to name her Mama's L'il Dustmop, but my niece, Lydia, said, "Name her Swiffer!" It's such a good name for her as she now swiffers up food like nobody's business and is a klepto of little items she hides under the bed (the odd sock, chapsticks, etc.)

I love the name 6 Pack. 

Edited by riley702

Perfect name for her.

My cat is obsessed with cotton swabs. If I'm doing my nails or something and have some QTips out she'll drive me crazy until I give her one.

I'm starting to wonder if this cat of mine is ever going to calm down. She's 3 and a half and as we speak, she's tearing up and down the stairs and doing laps around the kitchen. She still gets into everything and has to be right in the middle of anything I do.

I love the crazy kitten stage, but this stage has gone on long enough, I'm ready for the lazy cat stage. She's also the size of a 6 month old kitten.

She's the craziest cat I've ever had, at least she's very entertaining.

• Love 1

That is so cool. Thank you for sharing that.

I need to figure out how to post pictures here so I can take pictures of Kaylee in the rescue's calendar and post them. She is on February and October. They say she's one of the rescue's greatest success stories. She's come a long, long, LONG way. I'm so happy the rescue gave me a chance with her. I was her last chance.

She's turned into a great dog.

• Love 1

Harrie posted the pictures for me before. I'll see if she can do it again.

I'm a very low tech person. Until my accident a couple of years ago, I could barely use the internet. I was an outdoor person. Thank Dog for my son, he's very patiently taught me everything I know. He's also my 24 hour tech support.

We went to the Humane Society yesterday to talk to them about fostering; we had no intention of adopting.  But we couldn't leave without them.  They were part of a group of beagles who had been dropped off that morning.  They were hunting dogs that wouldn't hunt.  

• Love 6

What a gorgeous puppy!! I'm a Border Collie lover but Aussies are one of m favorite breeds.

I just did a major brushing on my girl, I'm not able to give her a bath by myself anymore but I can do all of her other grooming needs. I brushed so much fur that I could have made another dog. She doesn't mind brushing and hair cutting but she HATES having her nails trimmed. I have to make sure I have chesse or she'll fight me like crazy. She'll do anything for cheese.

• Love 1

I had the choice between a puppy and an older dog. After my accident I wasn't sure if I'd be able to handle a Border Collie puppy, they can be more challenging than other breeds. I raised my boy from 4 weeks old until he left me at age 12. We had an incredible bond, people would say they've never seen a dog and human more in tune with each other before.

I was so worried that I wouldn't have the same kind of bond with an older dog, I was also sure that I'd never, ever love another dog like I loved my Harley.

Boy, was I wrong! I rescued my Kaylee Girl when she was about 5. This April will be our 3 year anniversary with her. Once she got over her terror that we were going to hurt her, she's bonded with us like we've had her forever. And I love her as much as I loved my boy.

Sometimes I do regret not getting a puppy (I wouldn't trade my Kays for anything) because she's had no training at all, she couldn't even sit on command. With Harley all I had to do was snap my fingers and point and he'd run to sit where I was pointing. All I had to do was soflty say "lets go" and he'd run to me.

Kaylee is stubborn, she will sit, lay down and stay (most of the time) but she doesn't always come when I call her. She turns deaf if she's doing something and I need her to come.

But like I said, I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.

The best part though was taking this terrified shell of a dog, showing her that nobody will ever hurt her again and watching her blossom. I really wish I had recorded her progress from when we got her to a year later. She's a totally different dog now. I have journals that I wrote but I wish I had videos.

So sorry!! I can hijack a thread when it comes to talking about my girl.

Demented Daisy, how are Luke and Leia doing?

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 5

Demented Daisy, how are Luke and Leia doing?

They're adapting.  Turns out Leia is a thief.  We've had to put all of Loki's old things out of reach because she kept stealing them.  We gave her her own toys, bed, blanket, etc., but she wanted his.  

They're also having some separation anxiety issues.  We've got a couple of howlers.  When my daughter and her boyfriend left this weekend (to go back to college), they howled for a good 20 minutes.  They howl every morning when my husband goes to work.  Thankfully, the neighbors haven't complained yet.  (We live in a condo.)

We're having some other behavioral issues, but we're hoping that after they get spayed/neutered tomorrow, plus additional training, things will get better.  Based on their behavior, we're thinking they've never gotten much affection.  This is the first time they've been pets.  We knew they were trained to be hunting dogs, but we've learned a few things since we adopted them.  They were owned by a hunting club, not individuals.  I don't want to make accusations, because we have no proof, but we have strong suspicions about what happened to them there.

But we're not giving up.  They need a lot of work, but I'm currently unemployed.  I'm doing my best; I hope it's enough.

• Love 3
we've learned a few things since we adopted them.  They were owned by a hunting club, not individuals.  I don't want to make accusations, because we have no proof, but we have strong suspicions about what happened to them there.

But we're not giving up.  They need a lot of work, but I'm currently unemployed.  I'm doing my best; I hope it's enough.

I've had Alli, my rescue for abut 8 1/2 months and I'm still finding things that are a trigger and it just makes your heart stop.  When my mom and her husband stayed with me over the holidays I kept having to explain open the door where I keep the broom and leave it open for a few minutes before you take out the broom, if you do it right away she'll take off to the bedroom and hide for the next 1/2 hour.

She probably gained a few pounds over the holidays with all the "apology treats" my mom gave her........

• Love 3

I've had Alli, my rescue for abut 8 1/2 months and I'm still finding things that are a trigger and it just makes your heart stop.

My pound puppy had quirks too - she was terrified of the ironing board and would bark like hell at anything new in the house or yard.  She had to be introduced to it (as in "Buttercup, this is our new lawn mower and it is allowed to be here") before she would accept it.

• Love 4

My kitty Swiffer was born in a shelter and I discovered the hard way she HATES hard-sided carriers. Turns out she was transported back and forth from foster home to shelter daily in a hard-sided carrier, and shlepped around to adoption events in wire cages. It's minor compared with abuse triggers, but I hurt for her little kitten self. I only have soft-sided carriers now.

• Love 1

Demented Daisy, It took a full year for my Kaylee to come around. As long as you keep showing them love, they'll come around. And it's so worth it.

I love hearing your rescue stories and I'm so happy that none of you have given up on your babies, so many people so. I was told to give up on Kaylee so many times. If I had, I wouldn't have this beautiful girl lying in bed next to me pawing at me so I'll get off the tablet and pet her.

• Love 4

I got my Carly (greyhound) off the track. She was three, so still kind of young. I don't think she was abused - I adopted her from a rescue based at the track that worked with owners to retire greyhounds into homes. I actually picked her up at the owners house/kennel. It was pretty nice, all the dogs seemed really happy and well kept, the kennels seemed nice, about as big as the humane society I volunteer at have. The main thing with her was for about 6 - 10 months she would always stand up in a grooming position when I would got to pet her. Other than that, which made me really sad, she hasn't had any problems. I have four cats and foster kittens and she's completely fine. 

• Love 3

That is sad that she was more used to being groomed than being petted. I bet you changed that though! I've always said that before I die I want to rescue a greyhound.

This is the only time in my adult life that I only have one cat. The one I have is 3 years old but thinks she's still a kitten. I love her so much but she drives me crazy sometimes. 3 solid years of the kitten stage is just too much. She's an indoor only cat, I've never let my cats outside, and she has a couple of those big cat tree thingys to climb and a lot of stuff to play with but her favorite activity is to race up and down the wooden stairs every night at 2am. For an hour. I've had a lot of cats in my life and they've all calmed down by this age.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

My California dogs wouldn't know what to do in snow. My schnauzers lived in Arizona before I got them and my Kaylee is a California girl.

I'd love to take them to the snow to see their reaction, I haven't been to the snow in years.

• Love 1

It occurs to me that I haven't posted any pics of my Gigantical Cat here yet. When I got him from the Humane Society he was still young, and I thought he was full grown at the time. I was wrong. He's tall enough to stand on his hind legs and grab food off of the kitchen counter if you don't keep an eye on it. Here's one of him sharing a fuzzy bedspread with my Mom's normal sized cat:

t9wm77.jpg

He's never been sure exactly what kind of animal he is. Some of his mannerisms are dog-like, such as preferring to use his snout to investigate things rather than his paws. One time I watched him hanging out with one of the area's wild rabbits and hopping around just like the rabbit.

• Love 5

bosawks, I upvoted your picture of Alli but forgot to mention how happy she looks.  Great job with her!!

A day late, but snow dog pix - 

a51ce0b4-5a7c-41e1-ad95-57c380612d98_zps    

de4fc657-b212-4a02-b5d3-c7fa3dd2b59a_zps

...and Clyde enjoying his snow day too.

c898b8c6-b130-4074-93d6-2618113afe53_zps

Edited by harrie
  • Love 4

riley702, he's completely grey. I think it's just the lighting that made him look a little orange there. He was 19 pounds at his peak, but he's getting on in years and has had some health issues since then. He's more like 13 pounds now.

harrie, I have no clue what he is. Sometimes I think he might be part mountain lion and part goat.

• Love 2

On Photobucket, select a picture.  In the upper right-hand corner you should see five semi-transparent icons.  The third one - a square with a paintbrush, it looks like - is "Edit."   Click on it; one of the options is "resize."  Click on "resize" and scale your pixels down; my picture of Clyde is 550 x 365 if that's any help.  Choose your final size, apply, then save.   Hope that helps. 

bosawks, I upvoted your picture of Alli but forgot to mention how happy she looks.  Great job with her!!

Thanks harrie!  She is really coming out of her shell.  Intrinsically she seems to be such a joyful dog and like all adoptive "parents" of a rescue dog with some issues I just don't understand the why of it all. 

But on a happier note I'm taking her snow shoeing this weekend and I can only imagine what sort of mischief she'll get in.........