Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Anticipation

So, considering this show was surprisingly renewed, what do you want to see in S2?

Should Ethan get a new body? Should they explain what the hell was happening with Yasumoto? Should we see more of Julie's cool robot legs?

Edited by ApathyMonger
  • Love 1

It would be interesting to see Ethan in a slightly older body - the young actor was quite good. But I don't know where else they could go with the AI angle.  I guess there could be more conflict and confrontation between the offspring and Ethan, but it was pretty anti-climatic as it was - don't know how much more interesting it can get.

And I realize there's little chance of this happening, but I'd like to see more of Marcus in season 2.  I'd be really okay with a John and Molly divorce, and somehow Marcus miraculously being alive.  I know, I know - wishful thinking of the highest order.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Sean in season 2, but that's because I love me some Enver Gjokaj.  Hey, if Molly needs a love interest, why not Sean? Plus, it puts them both at ISEA, and the aeronautics angle was interesting to me.  They could bond over alien traumatization!

I'm kind of meh about the Yasomoto arc, not because it wasn't interesting.  It's more that I assume his girlfriend would be brought back into the picture, and that might extend the AI terrorist plot, which I had no interest in.  Plus, it would bring John, Julie, and Charlie back into the storyline orbit. While Charlie was pretty cool, John and Julie can go off somewhere and be unnecessarily pissy and entitled together.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 2

My number one wish for season 2 - No more forelock!

That thing drove me nuts and made me want to reach through the screen to cut it off.

After that I would like to see more of Julie and Charlie and learn about Yasomoto's fate. Also what happened to Renee Walker and Julie's boyfriend. (Can't remember either of their character's name at the moment.)

Edited by Desperately Random

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Sean in season 2, but that's because I love me some Enver Gjokaj.  Hey, if Molly needs a love interest, why not Sean? Plus, it puts them both at ISEA, and the aeronautics angle was interesting to me.  They could bond over alien traumatization!

I'd like to see Enver back also. And he has the chops to pull off any head game they might like as a consequence of his encounter.

Maybe ISEA could be planning a mission (or even a military strike) to wherever it is the aliens are coming from (they haven't been super clear on that).

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I liked the exploration of how an AI in human form learns. Maybe the writers can pull back extra, super hard on "John Woods" and his pissy entitlement, so I can enjoy Goran  in his scenes. Whether that means a new body for Ethan, I don't know. He wanted to seem normal, but having more capacity might mean a larger body is necessary. 

Yes, Molly needs another cute, super-sassy short do. I was pushing non-extant hair from my face and forehead periodically.

I would be happy if they focus on the AI, offspring and aliens, and Yatsumoto's connections for season 2.  Those three, intertwined stories, due to Yatsumoto himself, are rich enough for the luddite terrorists (tm a brilliant poster here) to fade into the shadows for a bit. Then, when/if they return, there could/will be actual emotional stakes in their attack(s).

I will also hope for Matthew Perry to be guest-starring as Gordon's brother and twice as menacing. Another hope is the team of Ethan and "Sparky", the poor robot Ethan rescued ( and "John" reluctantly. Maybe Sparky is a bit more zippy?)

Eh, I was surprised they got a second season, but if they want it to work they need  to  fix a few things fast. First one in my book is to break Molly and John; Halle Berry and Goran Visnjic are fine actors on their own, but they have zero chemistry. It is hard (for me) to buy them as couple in love or even as a couple who might have been in love in the past; bring Marcus back and go for the Julie/John thing. More Yasumoto, more evil Yasumoto, please. And more Renee Walker because her character had so much potential and it was kind of wasted there.

As for Ethan, I'm sure John can build a new body for him, one that will math Pierce Ganon's growth.

• Love 2

Reading all of these spoilers. I am surprised, kinda of baffled and wondering..what the heck are they going to with season two? Like, I get where the storyline is going to focus, but still....I don't know and I am too lazy to spoiler tag my thoughts....I hope season 2 still grabs my interest.

• Love 1

Here are some of the new players: David Morrissey and Jeffery Dean Morgan will be joining the season.

The article is now saying that 

Goran Visnjic and Camryn Manheim will be appearing for a few episodes, but Hiroyuki Sanada and Michael O'Neill are totally gone.

Not sure what to think, right now.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm still in shock that this got renewed...

Hiroyuki Sanada 

can't catch a break this year. Helix reboots and his character is apparently gone. Extant retools and that character is gone as well.

Maybe

he can come back to Revenge, in a Bobby Ewing shower situation?

TVLine.com has the season premiere as Wednesday, July 1st @ 10pm Eastern (9pm Central).  In the same article, they mentioned that Melina Kanakaredes (IMDb) of CSI:NY and Providence, will have a guest starring role. (A few more details are in the article).

Edited by Just Here

There ought to be a word for shows that are supposedly only going to be X episodes but really, if there's an audience they'll go ahead and add season after season. Like a "backdoor pilot" kind of shorthand description. Anyway. If I watch S2 it will be for one reason only: to hang out with all the PTVers from S1. Assuming any of them come back. (This will also be my reason for watching any further Dome episodes.)

• Love 1

There ought to be a word for shows that are supposedly only going to be X episodes but really, if there's an audience they'll go ahead and add season after season. Like a "backdoor pilot" kind of shorthand description. Anyway. If I watch S2 it will be for one reason only: to hang out with all the PTVers from S1. Assuming any of them come back. (This will also be my reason for watching any further Dome episodes.)

(Dome is still on?) I'll be back for Extant season 2. I like when the cast is changed. Keeps me on my toes. I hope the boys play a bigger role. I liked their chemistry.

• Love 1
(edited)

Here are some of the new players: David Morrissey and Jeffery Dean Morgan will be joining the season.

The article is now saying that 

Goran Visnjic and Camryn Manheim will be appearing for a few episodes, but Hiroyuki Sanada and Michael O'Neill are totally gone.

Not sure what to think, right now.

Ugh, Jeffrey Dean Morgan? How does this man keep getting work? I liked Molly's friendship with Sam, so disappointed that Manheim isn't a regular.

Supposedly, this season is to be more soapy? More fun? We'll see how it works out.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
(edited)

The promos are very different and I only see them occasionally.  Last year it seemed as if ever other commercial was pushing Extant ... and how Spielberg and Halle Barry were going to change the face of television.

... Now the promos seem to be very ambiguous about the concept of the show. The ones I've seen appear to be "Halle Barry  struggles trying to raise a robot child in the future ... and stuff.." 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

It does look like a big shift in direction will happen. Which is a shame, as I enjoyed season one. It needed to be tweaked not rebooted imo. The absence of John is most notable. Hopefully he isn't killed off, and the door is open for him to return. The science team was one of the best parts of the show, certainly a favourite of mine. But with John gone, it seems that will be reduced and things about the military included.

The family dynamic will also be lost. For me, this is what held a lot together. I loved all their relationships. I could watch a show based just on Molly and John raising Ethan and his half alien brother. The two kids have huge potential. Sadly, I think Ethan's story will suffer due to John's loss.

With all the comic books dominating, to reboot away from their potential superheroes, is a missed opportunity. They've already created two origin stories, they should push on. Even Heroes is rebooting with a younger cast, and when I think of all the DC shows on CW, Ethan and alien!brother are much more interesting.

Anyway, I don't know why Goran was let go. The new shift doesn't sound as interesting. I wonder how Ethan is going to fit in, if Molly is travelling around with JD.

• Love 2

It does look like a big shift in direction will happen. Which is a shame, as I enjoyed season one. It needed to be tweaked not rebooted imo. The absence of John is most notable.

Yes, I will miss him. Even though he and Halle didn't have the greatest on-screen chemistry, they were still a family.

Should Ethan get a new body?

The actor will be bigger, of course. Maybe the show will call his new body a system upgrade, ala Vicki in the '80s sit-com "Small Wonder."

• Love 1
Should Ethan get a new body?

He kind of has to get a new body -- since at the end of Season 1 his body was destroyed in the explosion and he had somehow uploaded his program to the Internet right before the bomb went off.

(edited)

So, considering this show was surprisingly renewed, what do you want to see in S2?

Whoaaa....like Just Here, I'm beyond surprised to shocked that this got renewed.  And you guys knew about this since last October?!?  I follow pop culture pretty closely and I had no freaking clue.  I was just on Amazon Prime on Roku (which I don't use often) and happened to notice a little icon for the show.  I thought it was just remembering that I had liked it last summer and was urging me to watch again.  I almost didn't select it, but thought I would just to make sure I had given it a high rating (despite some flaws--particularly in the middle of the season--I generally liked it quite a bit and thought it finished strong).  I was totally floored to see a first episode for S2.  Huh!

Just found this quote from a preview of the season: "Entire subplots have been dropped, and the show’s perspective is shifting away from the realm of science, to a pulpier, more action-driven, vibe."

Ehhh...that doesn't sound so promising.  But I'll give it a shot.

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm sorry, but was the first season based in the realm of science? That's news to me -- and to Molly the Pretend Astronaut, I'd wager. Doesn't mean I'm happy about the shift to a pulpier, more action-oriented (and not coincidentally, a more militarized) tone.

Edited by Sandman

Just found this quote from a preview of the season: "Entire subplots have been dropped, and the show’s perspective is shifting away from the realm of science, to a pulpier, more action-driven, vibe."

Sounds like budget cuts.

• Love 1

I couldn't find a spoiler thread so I'm posting it here.I did some sniffing around IMDB for the remaining five episodes of the season and was pretty surprised to see some people missing and some other people I didn't expect. I'm trying to guess what happens tonight based on those findings but I guess I'll be patient :)

I couldn't find a spoiler thread so I'm posting it here.I did some sniffing around IMDB for the remaining five episodes of the season and was pretty surprised to see some people missing and some other people I didn't expect. I'm trying to guess what happens tonight based on those findings but I guess I'll be patient :)

Let's just say this series went through a reboot/revamp so that's why this season feels and looks different.

• Love 1