Type keyword(s) to search

Married At First Sight: The First Year

• Start Topic

Is it me, or does it seem like every ep Doug is just buying something for Jamie?

Also is anyone else watching those comericals of Courtney and Jason? It's a promo for the show them writting a tweet but it is so depressing knowing the show history of those two.

Edited by JellyFishQueen

Is it me, or does it seem like every ep Doug is just buying something for Jamie?

Also is anyone else watching those comericals of Courtney and Jason? It's a promo for the show them writting a tweet but it is so depressing knowing the show history of those two.

Does this mean they'll be doing another show also? I hope not because for me I will now question their motives for doing the show. I think they were gung ho for this last one because everyone liked Jason & Cortney so much. But now that her popularity has greatly diminished and the bashing she has taken on social media I'm surprised they would consider another show.

I am glad to see Monet moving on with some insight into how to protect her heart the next time she seeks love.

I wish them all the luck in the world, but I just don't see either of the other two couples making it long term.

I bailed after the fourth episode because I found the whole Jamie is now madly in love with Doug and wants his baby story line too over the top and fake – even for a reality show.  Anyway I caught the marathon on Sunday.  Let me see if I understand this.  In every episode, Jamie made a point of reminding America about her lousy upbringing and the poor excuse for a human being that is her mother and yet, she was surprise and disappointed that she didn’t show for Christmas and her vow renewal?!  Really?  I believe the only reason Jamie wanted her “unfit” mother around, was to berate her and bolster her story line.

From the very beginning, I thought Cortney too good to be true.  I believe it was all an act.  I agree with the posters that said if the cameras weren’t still around, this marriage would have been over by now.  Cortney strikes me as a lazy slob.  The apartment was neat and tidy when it was just Jason, but after she arrived it looked like it had been hit by a tornado.   She doesn’t have a job, so I’d like to know what it is that she does all day.  I believe Jason would be better off with a nice girl from the neighborhood.

I find Courtney to be unbearable.  I cannot stand to watch or listen to her incessant me, me, me, it's all about me...only me personality.  Don't know how Jason can withstand married life with this lazy, narcissistic, whiny, selfish, sloppy, needy, kill-joy, weak woman.  And yet Courtney believes she really is all that...how much can she boast about herself...every single talking head segment on this show shows her displaying this nauseating tendency. She has a warped sense of self.  And that hair. It's always so stringy & messy...probably doesn't have the ambition to style or comb it...same issue also clearly applies to her housekeeping skills. 

Edited by Phoenix
  • Love 1
And yet Courtney believes she really is all that...how much can she boast about herself...every single talking head segment on this show shows her displaying this nauseating tendency. She has a warped sense of self.

I feel like Cortney is a product of the type of parents who feel they need to make sure their kids have high self esteem, whether earned or not. You know where everyone is made to feel like they are "special" and everybody who participates gets a trophy whether they win or lose. Seems like she's used to being lavished with praise for any little thing she does.

• Love 2

I think the reason I feel cheated is because in the original series, Courtney was presented as an extremely caring and mature person.  Jason and Courtney were presented as the most functional of all the couples and you had no idea why Jason was hesitant to continue with the marriage.

After watching this series, it seems like there were many red flags and Jason had good reason to end the quickie marriage.  Either the show willfully mislead us about Courtney, so they could at least boast about one successful coupling (remember this was when Jaimie was gagging at the sight of Doug while Monet and Vaughn were obviously having problems) or Courtney was faking who she was during the original series.  I doubt Courtney is that good of an actress, but anything is possible.

I do wish all the participants well and would suggest they stay off camera for the sake of their relationships, though the lure of easy money and fame will be hard to resist.

Does anyone know the name of the song/artist of the last song played end of episode 9?  It played during a recap of Jamie & Doug's journey.  I know Spotify has a Married At First Sight playlist, but I could not find it there.  BTW, the song choices for this show are excellent - my hat is tipped.

Jamie enlists Mikie Russo to help pull off her dream wedding to Doug in St. Thomas, where the couple originally began to fall in love. But as arrangements for an intimate beach ceremony get underway, Jamie's troubled past with her mother threatens to overshadow the big day.

Jamie? With mother issues? I'm shocked - absolutely shocked!

I agree about cutting ties with mom but she wants her mom in her life. it is not as easy as one thinks.

I really believe these two are genuine. Loved their simple, beachside wedding.

Jamie? With mother issues? I'm shocked - absolutely shocked!

I have mother issues too. * hangs head in shame*

I agree about cutting ties with mom but she wants her mom in her life. it is not as easy as one thinks.

I have mother issues too. * hangs head in shame*

Some really good people have mother issues. The big difference is that they're not on television.

This is where the "experts" lose me, btw. Why did they put someone as vulnerable as Jamie in this situation? It makes me uncomfortable.

Aw, there's no shame in mom issues - we all have them, to some degree. You're absolutely right that it's not easy, but just once I wish we'd see Jamie dealing with her mom in a healthier way - either not inviting her to the wedding, or not engaging when her mom remembers their "idyllic" home life, or, as Bella says...not putting the whole mess on TV!

It's such an open wound and I hope she eventually finds some peace with it. It's also why I can't totally hate on her as a fake famewhore - her feelings about her mom are pretty painfully real.

Did anyone else catch This comment during Doug's vows: "for some reason we both took a leap of faith and responded to a random phone call about a love experiment."

To me this sounds as if both were recruited to some extent, rather than volunteering. What do you think?

• Love 1

In this article, Doug says “I had searched through different reality shows to see what was out there, and when I got a phone call from one that was talking about a love experiment, I knew I had to try out the idea."  It sounds like he may have applied for a different reality show (or shows), and the MAFS casting team got his name from one of those applications and called him.

http://tri.gmnews.com/weekinreview/82560

• Love 1

I dont care for the term "famewhore". Here's why.

I was working when a very well know DJ come in (remember I am deaf) came in and we got to talking. We hit off, but not in a romantic sense. He was married, and I was dating my to-be husband. I asked him what on earth he could talk about on the radio "besides play music". At that time I was a genuinely funny person. I am quite humorless now, due to daughter's death.

Long story short- He asked me to appear on his radio program for about 5 minutes. So I did. I ended up staying on his program for about 25 minutes. Appeared again a few months later for 1.5 hours.

What was interesting is so many women called me a famewhore. And because we were joking about Valentine's Day in August, a lot of men came in to "check me out". I decided to take a week off and hide.

I enjoyed bantering with the DJ (did not realize people reallly listened to the radio) but I hated finding out so many heard me.

He asked me back again but I heard the term "famewhore" one time too many....and refused to go back.

Some people are good at being on TV or the radio and really, why should that be a fault? Not everyone can handle it. It is a skill, trait and pays damn well!

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 1

It might rankle you, because you didn't seek it. I put the ones who not only seek it, but act like it's their birthright and will do damned near anything to get and keep it, with no discernible talent except selling their personal business to the masses, in the famewhore category. It's pretty much all there in the title.

Learning that Doug was actively seeking reality romance explains so much about him. Looks like that Bachelor gig put another "yes' check in the compatibility column.

• Love 5

I went to school with jamie, she's a total fake and a wanna be fame who're lol, she tried to put together our high school reunion and 7 people showed up, nobody else wanted to be around her pretentious ass

• Love 2

I went to high school and graduated with jamie, I can tell you right now, she's a complete fake, she's just pressuring him to have a baby so she can try and get another tv show, that's all she cares about. Nobody in our home town can stand her

I went to high school and graduated with jamie, I can tell you right now, she's a complete fake, she's just pressuring him to have a baby so she can try and get another tv show, that's all she cares about. Nobody in our home town can stand her

Hi bambam86,

Thanks for the insight.  I have to ask...is her family life as messed up as she portrays or is that also exaggerated?  It does seem like she has had a very hard life.  Do you think she really likes Doug or is that also fake?  I know you are not a mind reader, but it would be interesting to hear from someone who knew her before.

I do not know anyone that is the same person in high school and years after nursing school. People change all the time.

Some people change overnight.

And there is nothing wrong in wanting to be "famous" but personally, I think the word famewhore is demeaning.

• Love 1

Hi, I only found out about this show thanks to an article in the Daily Mail about the Australian version? So I had a lot of catch up to do and I did enjoy the first series.

I loved Doug and Jamie and thought Cortney and jason were okay. So I ws busy downloading season 2 when I discovered there were more episodes of the 2 couples. 

I am sure it does not help me watching so much of this show but I am so annoyed. Annoyed by Cortney who talks the big talk but is in reality very childish but this iis D and J's topic.

Now I do see Jamie's fakeness. I do not find her as pretty as season 1 and how horrible she can be by trying to push her opinion and what she wants over what Doug wants.

This woman has serious problems. I am watching episode 6 and Jamie is constantly talking about Me, Myself and I. or me me me.. She wants to be loved by everyone that is why she then tries to please Dough in the sex games but it felt so forced and fake and apparently she also post video's on youtube how she is going to please her man. This is done to be liked by others. Look at how good I am for my man.

The problem with Jamie is she is not realistic  and I fear she is going to fall. She wants everything to be perfect and that is not going to happen. You can try but that is going to put such a strain on somebody. I liked Jamie the most during the first few episodes where she felt more real and vulnerable.

Doug sometimes go's too far. I do not want to know if you have a hard-on thank you very much and I think it is rude well if a Dutch person (country of freedom and everything go's says it is rude it is rude.)

Sometimes I even feel sorry for Doug being with Jamie but they are both grownups but I seriously hope Jamie gets help. Jamie perfect is boring and not appealing.

Wow. why did she have to be so nasty during dinner. I understand there are problems but she came because she asked and then she humiliated her. I understand mum is not really looking forward talking or being with Jamie because of all the anger.

Jamie could not make fun so nobody could. Am I the only one who thought it so interesting when Jamie blamed her mum for being fake and pretending all was so good in live, happy happy she was accusing her mum of things she herself does?   Happens a lot. You get annoyed by character traits you have yourself.

• Love 1

I hated Jamie during this wedding special. I'm not a fan to begin with, but if bad can look worse bad, she can do it.

I get she craves that mother (and daddy?) figure. I understand she's got a lot of anger. My mom and I have had (and still have) our issues. She messed up. But she owns the fact she messed up. The woman can't win. If she's nice and polite talking to the other guests, she's being fake. If she doesn't come or is quiet, she's not being supportive. 

I don't find Jamie real to begin with. Like Marlene said above, she posses those same traits she accuses her mom of. 

Tonight I saw a brief preview for season 2 of MAFS: The First Year, starring Jamie and Doug, and Jason and Cortney.

Looks like it will begin October 13, 2015.

http://when-will.net/tv-series/1350-will-there-be-married-at-first-sight-the-first-year-season-2-release-date-confirmed-to-be-updated.html

In the preview, Jamie is verklempt and weepy, explaining to Dougie that she still has feelings for her ex. Oy!

Jason scolds Cortney because he doesnt have the experience of extended family that she has. While Jason gets increasingly upset, Cortney curiously smirks.

To me, this stuff doesnt ring true at all. I think, obviously, the Season 2 morons were supposed to do this edition of MAFS: The First Year, but when those couples imploded, production decided to keep going with the Season 1 idiots.

Something ain't right with Jamie/Doug and Cortney/Jason. I hope all it is, is pretending strife for the cameras for drama and ratings.

Edited by sleekandchic

Tara, your recap made me laugh. I think we are alone in the vast wilderness of MAFS: The First Year.

If it werent for this unexpected second season, I think Doug and Jamie, and Cortney and Jason, would be divorcing. Neph and Jasmine would be nobodies, nowhere, nohow.

The second season of this show was supposed to be about the MAFS Season 2 losers...The Ryans, Jessica, Jacqueline, etc. They imploded. PTB should have canceled season 2 of the First Year, but obviously could not disengage.

Most frightening thing I saw tonight was a commercial for FYI's newest entry. Khloe's Kocktails. Yeah. I gotta catch my breath.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/khloe-kardashian-kocktails-with-khloe-fyi-talkshow-1201544378/

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 1

I have zero interest in Neph and his Las Vegas girlfriend.

I thought all of Jamie's former boyfriend's emotionally abused her? At least that's why she said she had trouble trusting Doug. Now she has feelings for one of her ex's? Sorry, not buying it. Although, Doug making a joke about everything and not wanting to talk seriously about their relationship rings true to me.

• Love 2

Doug is basically a nice guy, I think?, but he's also the quintessential, textbook, perpetual adolescent. Peter Pan. NYC is overstuffed- packed with them. I love when he mops his brow, cause, to me, his flop sweat is about much more than overactive sweat glands.

He should have relocated to a beach life somewhere for baseball, booze and broads on a rotating basis. Trouble is, he loves his mom and dad, and cant make that kind of break from them. But he really does not want a conventional, married with children life. Jmo.

• Love 3

First off thank you for the hilarious recap the snark is so much better than the show.

I do not hold out much hope for Jamie & Doug she is always so fake. All the sneak peeks and media have been about how bad their marriage is and yet she still wants a baby, she changed her name to show her commitment etc yet still expects Doug to bow down and take all the crap she dishes. Every time  Jamie appears I just want to shout shut up we all know that the minute the cameras stop rolling you are out of there faster than Speedy Gonzales you are fooling nobody.

From Jamie's blog about joining the second season

During the conversations with FYI and our production company, Kinetic Content, I was brutally honest (as I usually am). I just flat out told them that Doug and I aren’t having dinner parties or decorating – we are barely speaking. Doug and I were both mature enough to lay it all out there and say ‘listen, we need help.’ If we were going to film another show we couldn’t pretend to be happy with each other. We couldn’t paste a smile on and invite friends over to join us for dinner when we weren’t even eating dinner together.

http://jamieotis.com/2015/10/married-at-first-sight-the-first-year/

I did chuckle at Kinetic allowing them to be real and show the struggles of their marriage instead of good TV of fake happy Jamie. We all know that fake happy is boring, fights are much better snark fodder

• Love 3

Whoa, Jamie's blog shows how fakety-faux-fakety the Jamie/Doug marriage really is.

Oh those MAFS experts! Are they watching? Listening, learning? Their earnest insistence that their "instruments" are exemplary, true indicators, is debunked constantly by the matched couples.

If MAFS wants to continue on, my advice: ditch the bloviator-experts, get a wheel of fortune wheelie thing. Round and round it goes, where it stops, nobody knows. :)

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 4

Okay, well, I was glad to see Doctor Schwartz again, because I like her. And I did enjoy seeing the two couples again. I was so disappointed in the second season of Married at First Sight, because I found the first season to be so charming. I'm in the minority on here, I know, but I kind of like the show exploring what it takes to make a lasting relationship.

To me the experts have never said anything that I would disagree with about building lasting relationships. So I find the show interesting in that respect.

I'm in for watching it.

Edited by cardigirl

The most interesting thing to me about this episode is that the only "Expert" used is the only one from Season 2 MAFS that came out of that not hated by a lot of the viewers. She's the only one I'm okay watching. The others should have been muzzled during that last reunion.

I'm having trouble buying this Neph thing. That worked out so nicely for a show about people getting into a relationship with someone they don't know that they've gotten a Friend that's "happening" to be doing something like that. If this is legit that's scary for this girl coming to NY with Cortney as the closest thing to a friend. Out of Jamie, Monet and Cortney she seems by far the most likely to be catty and fake nice but then really talk a lot of shit behind your back. Jamie and Monet, I think lean towards just not bothering more than they actually have to with someone they don't like. Cortney will pry into your life for gossip and use it.

I think Jason and Doug could be happy together; they're both goofy and seemingly cool with just doing their things and Jason would love Doug's seemingly nice family being close. Plus, they're both married to bores.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 2

Yes so this was supposed to be season 2 couples.  After the disaster from that season I wasn't keen on watching, esp. after seeing a few dumb, gratuitous teasers for this.  . And, like all of us I was disgusted by how fake Season 2 was, from the recruiting to the pretense that any of these couples were actually living together, and how the 'experts' defended this scam. (etc etc).

But for starters,  I do like Jamie,  despite the reality-show chase that puts her sincerity into question.   There's no doubt now that the her horrific upbringing is true.  I am blown away at how she rose above it all, stayed on a positive course, became a nurse and carries herself with grace.   She wanted a better life and she worked for it.  (no I am not Jamie nor do I know her IRL.)  I think what she has accomplished and who she has become is extremely admirable, if not miraculous considering the mess she came from.

So far, I like the Jamie/Doug story, esp. after reading that portion of her blog that someone posted (thanks for that)..  Jamie has demonstrated that she is willing to show the good, bad and ugly of her life and so I think their story line will be generally sincere.  What troubles me a little is how Jamie is pushing to have kids when their marriage is struggling.  She has flat out said she's gun-shy about being  "stuck" with a baby on your hip and a husband who isn't who you thought he would be.  So.... I hope TPTB keep it really real.  We all know they apparently want to be fiction writers, not reality show producers.

I've had the side-eye on the Jason/Courtney story for awhile. I don't know what their real relationship is, but their story doesn't make sense to me.  First of all,  never a sight or sound from her parents or her family.  They either didn't show for Jason's graduation,or refused to be on camera.   My sense is they didn't come at all.  From what I've seen you would think they would embrace their relationship wholeheartedly  but they seem strangely detached and out of the picture.  We'll see if they come up at all in this show.  If not..that's a red flag to me as to what this relationship really is.

Renewing their vows in Las Vegas??    I thought for sure. that once the parents accepted it was a real marriage that they would have had a reception or vow renewal with her family.   Their daughter got married--they like him-- okay,   lets have a real wedding here with friends and family.  I get that TPTB wanted to put a little young, wild, punch in their storyline   (IRL none of them could afford to go to Vegas)  so it bugged me nevertheless.  Things don't add up much there.  Maybe it's just that their life is simple and good and there is no drama so the show wants to create some, but whatever-- it doesn't ring true.  The editing is choppy.. I know she's away for work (?) but it's almost like the edits we got when the Season 2 couples were pretending to be together.  We seem to be getting a very purposefully slim and superficial view of their lives.  

I didn't know this forum was separate from the original.  It is still MAFS so wouldn't think to look for a different forum.   The show bugs me but I do enjoy the comments on it so I hope people find it.

.  .

Somebody help me out here..  I just glanced thru some of the Jason/Courtney thread and one said that it showed Jason meeting Courtney's family during the reunion show.  Did I miss something? I never saw that .  I just commented (as I see others had in that thread) how Courtney's family is never seen or mentioned

First off - Hi Everyone I've missed seeing your "faces". I am so torn about this season.  I kept telling myself after season 2 blew up I was not watching this, but there I was at my tv flipping to FYI to see what was going on with these couples.  I do agree that if the show was not still going on, I do not believe either of these couples would still be together. I found Jamie so phony last year about how in love she is, and now suddenly six months later she's in a dark place in her marriage. It made me wonder what her expectations are in marriage. Most people aren't having babies when they are still getting to know one another.  I do think that Doug's inability to have a serious conversation is annoying, but I also wonder how often she's telling him in a constructive way what she actually needs vs expecting him to read her mind. I don't know how a marriage can really plateau that quickly, and things are moving forward - they just AREN'T moving at the pace she wants. She comes off very selfish and very naggy.  I didn't buy her last year, I thought she was falling in love with the idea of Doug but not falling in love with Doug.  

I think Courtney got so much crap last season for being a debbie downer that she's suddenly had a change of heart and suddenly, magically loves herself and has the best marriage ever. And Jason, please stop saying you are weird. There is actually nothing weird about you. AT ALL. If you have to say you are weird, generally you are not weird. 

Neph and Jasmine - next.

If this is legit that's scary for this girl coming to NY with Cortney as the closest thing to a friend. Out of Jamie, Monet and Cortney she seems by far the most likely to be catty and fake nice but then really talk a lot of shit behind your back.

OH MAN do I agree with this! She was even doing it in the premiere!

• Love 1

Didn't she say that they (jasmine and friend ) were hookers? I haven't read blogs or social media so I have no info other than the show. Maybe it's better that way. I still have some naivete about the couples.. I do think these two had sincere hopes and motivation. (but still, ..something about Cortney/Jason doesn't add up for me.anymore--more than Doug and Jamie.

I know many said they wouldn't watch beyond S2 but I know I will end up watching.unless I REALLY cannot take it.  It may have snark value.    I hope some of the S2 people will come back to the forum. It was very fun..sometimes the worse the show the better the forum.  I like the extra info I get from others.  I was sad when the season ended and enjoyed getting to 'know' everyone.  

Edited by seasick

How many people who watched this show went in thinking "I wonder how Neph's love life is going"? Show of hands.

I will say that no matter what I think of Jaimie...I have always admired how she rose to success coming from such a horrible background.  I should point out I define success as being a nurse and taking care of her siblings ( I think she legally adopted some of them at one point), not being a reality show star.

I really hope she is not thinking of bringing a baby into a troubled marriage...that is never good news.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2