Type keyword(s) to search

Married At First Sight: The First Year

• Start Topic

Cortney is a firm believer that "everyone needs at least five hugs a day." Ugh, she is exhausting!!

She leaves her individual therapy session with the epiphany that she needs to quit trying to be super woman because no one can be....this from a woman with no job, who needs to move so she can avoid unpacking? This season, Cortney is so unlikable.

• Love 4

I don't even recognize Courtney this season at all. The crying, the whining, and all the wisdom she seems to impart all comes off so phony. it's as if she played us in the first season to think she was put together. The expectations she places on Jason on how he should communicate and be as a husband are impossible for the most polished man let alone a guy going through the grieving process of losing his mother.  I get  the sense she's lead a very entitled life of getting whatever she wants and getting it when she wants it.  If things aren't 'perfect' for her, she has a temper tantrum by crying. While I agree the proposal wasn't well thought out and the whole trip to Vegas seemed totally off the wall based on how they've been doing, I think Jason had the right intentions.  But because it wasn't what Courtney wanted she was brutal to him.  Jason is in an impossible situation where he will never be able to satisfy her because she only wants what she wants when she wants it. And I could do without all her cliches and talking like an expert on marriage because she is so clueless. I just can't even like her this season.  I hated Jamie last year and find her adorable this year. Funny how things change.  And I just wish Monet wasn't even on the show.

• Love 7

Call me old fashioned, but the whole vow renewal thing is what you do AFTER you sober up and realize that your elopment in Vegas left you with nothing but your drunk friend's shaky iPhone footage to remember it by.  Or so I've heard. You don't do it IN REVERSE.

And Jamie is "28" the way I'm "28". Which is to say, 36.

• Love 7

I don't even recognize Courtney this season at all. The crying, the whining, and all the wisdom she seems to impart all comes off so phony. it's as if she played us in the first season to think she was put together. The expectations she places on Jason on how he should communicate and be as a husband are impossible for the most polished man let alone a guy going through the grieving process of losing his mother.  I get  the sense she's lead a very entitled life of getting whatever she wants and getting it when she wants it.  If things aren't 'perfect' for her, she has a temper tantrum by crying. While I agree the proposal wasn't well thought out and the whole trip to Vegas seemed totally off the wall based on how they've been doing, I think Jason had the right intentions.  But because it wasn't what Courtney wanted she was brutal to him.  Jason is in an impossible situation where he will never be able to satisfy her because she only wants what she wants when she wants it. And I could do without all her cliches and talking like an expert on marriage because she is so clueless. I just can't even like her this season.  I hated Jamie last year and find her adorable this year. Funny how things change.  And I just wish Monet wasn't even on the show.

I know... there's a small part of me that wants Cortney and Jason to last once the cameras stop rolling, but if she keeps acting like this, it won't and that makes me quite sad.

• Love 1

Cortney is way over her "whim" of this experiment. I think they are already done but keeping up the social media stuff to not give it away.

On her Instagram she sounds like she has been really hurt by the things said about her. To the point of Jason's friends even coming to her defense. How naive was she to not think she was going to be slammed for her total turn around in attitude and behavior. I know they could both use the money but there's always a price.

On her Instagram she sounds like she has been really hurt by the things said about her. To the point of Jason's friends even coming to her defense. How naive was she to not think she was going to be slammed for her total turn around in attitude and behavior. I know they could both use the money but there's always a price.

I agree.  The risk you take when going on a reality show the second time is that your stock will go down.  I really loved Courtney the first season and was impressed with her dedication and supposed maturity.   This year, I do not even recognize her.

She has a very delusional view of her self and is lacking in any awareness of how ridiculous she sounds.  I remember her going on about Thanksgiving, but refusing to cook.  I do not mean that it is the wife's duty to cook, but Jason was working and she was doing nothing.  She had no job, she was not getting the apartment together, and she was not doing anything to further her pie in the sky business.  Compare this to Jaimie who happily prepared a meal (I doubt if Doug did anything to help) for a large family gathering, while working as a nurse (not an easy job). Jamie and Doug have also moved recently and do not seem to have a problem keeping their home presentable.  Yet, we get talking heads of Courtney going on about how she is an amazing superwoman who just tries to do much for everyone. 

It seems to me Courtney is miserable in this marriage. 

On a very shallow note, I thought Courtney would be a better dancer, since she had such a passion for Cabaret.  She had all the grace of a country mule.  I know most people will not care, because she is a pretty blonde woman in a short dress, but I thought she would move better.

• Love 5

ha ha I thought she was a horrible dancer too! And the whole I'm the free spirited person mantra she has doesn't seem to translate to what we see.  She seems uptight and controlling and entitled

• Love 4

Guys! Cortney does have a job during the day. She puts make up on for 3 hours for the diary cam. This is why she can't clean up the apartment!

Also does anyone remember that Eddie Murphy Trading places movie? And that part the old man made this bet over a dollar? I think this is what the "expercts" are doing with this show. Seeing who will last, betting on it, pairing them with awful people all over for dollar.

• Love 3

I really don't mind seeing Monet on the show. It is a followup on the first three couples, after all, and I'm most interested in seeing how this quickie marriage and quickie divorce business would affect someone. Plus, she seems very sweet and it would be nice to see her find someone who cares about her.

And I think a lot of the stuff with Cortney is manufactured. If she and Jason are too cute together and not having any real problems, well -- you gotta have something for the cameras and it's no problem to just make some sh*t up. She is so very different from the first season that I can't help but think that's got something to do with it. Just my $0.02.

• Love 1

I agree.  The risk you take when going on a reality show the second time is that your stock will go down.  I really loved Courtney the first season and was impressed with her dedication and supposed maturity.   This year, I do not even recognize her.

She has a very delusional view of her self and is lacking in any awareness of how ridiculous she sounds.  I remember her going on about Thanksgiving, but refusing to cook.  I do not mean that it is the wife's duty to cook, but Jason was working and she was doing nothing.  She had no job, she was not getting the apartment together, and she was not doing anything to further her pie in the sky business. 

That line seriously irked me too! "I'm not cooking a turkey. I've never cooked a turkey." So just because you haven't done something before means you can never do it? Yeah, she totally sounds like the free-spirited, adventurous superwoman she makes herself out to be. (And yes, she alternately characterizes herself as a control freak and free-spirited, with no sense of contradiction). Oh, and cooking a turkey is not that difficult. I guess it's a really good thing she wasn't paired with Vaughn...

Did Jason just make a Saved by the Bell reference?

I'm so excited...I'm so scared?

I missed that but if it's true, Jason totally went up in my estimation.

If this is real (doubtful) and Courtney and Jason are headed for a break up...then the marriage experts lose their statistical advantage.  I have heard that two in three marriages break up within the first five years.  That would mean the "experts" would be at the same level at us regular people with no fancy relationship training.  If within the next four years, Doug and Jaimie break up, then the the experiment is a total failure compared to the general population.

• Love 2

Maybe the producers are just making it so everyone is sick of S1 couples just in time for MAFS Season 2. I think the gravy train is just about over for them.

• Love 1

Maybe the producers are just making it so everyone is sick of S1 couples just in time for MAFS Season 2. I think the gravy train is just about over for them.

This is a EXCELLENT theory since I actually forgot to watch the show this week! (I had to catch it on DVR.)

Ugh, Cortney annoys me so much with her delusional lecturing and multicoloured face. What kind of a makeup artist has orange streaks on her cheeks? Not a good look. Yeah, the whole Vegas wedding idea was moronic. I mean I would think the worst thing about the first wedding for Cortney was not having her family there and now Jason wants them to remarry in Vegas while hung over? Seriously, what the hell? Least romantic idea ever. But Cortney could've been a bit nicer about it. Maybe it was the hangover making her cranky.

Doug and Jamie are pretty cute. That expensive ring he was looking at was hideous though. Glad he couldn't afford it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Each week I get more and more annoyed with Jamie and her fake batting her eyes, super big smile, I am so happy and so in love act. At first I didn't agree with all the posts about it, but NOW I SEE. She couldn't stand the guy, found him completely unattractive, and fast forward to NOW she is smitten???

Oh Doug is there anything you can do alone? Need your daddy to help pick out a car, need your sissy to help pick out a ring...ugh be a MAN

Do they think we are dumb? Oh we just had to invite all of our friends to help us afford Vegas...we know you did not have to pay for that fancy hotel and spread. Each week are we going to get to see all the "free" stuff they get...car, trip, diamond ring?!?

Jason- way to loose 4 grand and act just like an 18 year old in Vegas for the first time.

I guess to Courtney being a sassy woman is constantly patting your friends butt?!?

Why does this girl constantly need a break? She has enough respect to say oh dancing on a table isn't good for being a married woman yet doesn't think her me me me attitude is selfish. When she talks I hear I more, I and me.

Edited by whymustiwatch
  • Love 3

We weren't all recovered from last week's CARMAX shout out (aka, INFOMERCIAL), courtesy of Doug...so thanks for shopping for the engagement ring "I am paying for"  while the salesgirl announces, "Welcome to DIAMOND CASTLE."  Come on, Doug.  

We already appreciate Jaime's story line spit-balling which is all over the place (My mom abandoned all of us on the holidays--oh, also?  I WANT A BABY!!)  I am sure the producers have enough to work with.....it's just extra that you keep adding sexual innuendo and references.  I think we need you to STOP name-checking your sponsors.  You all aren't getting another season so just let it be.  Thanks!!

• Love 1

I am kinda puzzle to why the experts are discouraging Jamie from having a baby right now. Clearly she has issues, and she is in new arranged marriage on tv it is not really the best place to have a baby right now. I wonder if Jamie doing this for more story-time?

(edited)

I don't watch this religiously, I catch the show if I happen to be surfing and spot it. My initial impressions haven't changed since the first 3 shows. Jamie shows too much teeth. Who talks like that, really? I never saw anyone who shows all their teeth while just speaking normally.

Jason still seems immature to me. I don't think he had much dating experience prior to this show. He probably spent a lot of time at home with his mother during her illness. Cortney just blows me away normally with the amount of makeup she wears for daytime, but when I saw the Las Vegas episode I nearly gasped. She looked like a performer in one of the off-strip shows, like a magician's assistant. She must have used a trowel and paintbrush to get all that on her face. Does she go to Lowe's or Home Depot for her eye makeup or the cosmetics dept. in Walmart? I'm a little tired of her hormonal self-pity. "boo-hoo, poor me". I get disgusted at the immaturity of all that.

And Monet, well who cares that she was contracted for a season and has to date for the cameras. That's not new or interesting at all.

Doug, now there's a topic. He's goofy, he has a funny mouth twitch when he talks and dammit, fix your hair Doug and get those damned moles taken off your face.

I will not bother even watching the new round of paid-to-marry newbies. They all look boring in the promos for the show. Scratch that show off my list of things to watch.

That suite in Planet Hollywood cost at least $900 each night. Cortney said her friends helped with the expense of the room, but they had to pay for their own rooms too because there's only one bed in that suite. I'm sure Bravo picked up the tab, not the friends.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think Courtney has mental issues and it would be the best thing for Jason if she did run back to North Carolina. Obviously she couldn't find anyone to marry her there before and was desperate enough to go on this show. She's a whiner and a pain in the butt. I don't believe she's a makeup artist. For one thing her makeup is often messy, she sleeps with it on, has bad skin and she goes on television with her hair not brushed and her nails chipped.She doesn't even work and throws her clothes on the floor. I don't know how Jason could stand living with a slob like her. When he moved everything to the new apartment, he told her he wanted it to stay neat. She's not exactly presenting an image of glamour or self respect. Maybe she did her own makeup when she was volunteering at as a burlesque dancer but I don't think anyone in New York is going to pay her to slap on paint like she wears. What happened to her starting her own makeup line? (Eyeroll). It looks like all she does is sit around and drink all day, messing up the apartment instead of cleaning it. She's trashy. Jamie and Jason seem like a much better match, maybe it will happen!

Edited by rednails

http://nypost.com/2014/07/08/total-strangers-meet-at-the-altar-and-marry-at-first-sight/

Jason Carrion and potential wife Jamie Otis. Jason and Jamie are two of six contestants on FYI Network's "Married at First Sight," which debuts on July 8. The couples matched to be married will be revealed during the show's premiere.

Total strangers marry at first sight

July 8, 2014

Jamie Otis, 27, a labor and delivery nurse from Harlem, really wants to have kids of her own and was having a hard time finding Mr. Right among New York’s party-hardy male population.

“In New York City, I feel like the guys are primarily just players until they’re hitting their late 30s,” she told The Post. “It’s tough to find guys who are serious.”

Bensonhurst-based EMT Carrion also thought professionals could help him find what he wanted in a mate.

“I believe you can be extremely attracted to somebody at first sight, but once you get to know them, that’s where the real love comes,” he told The Post. “I’ve been with beautiful girls before, but they didn’t have something — I can’t even explain it. With [my wife], she has it.”

Carrion can’t say which of the three women on the show he married — the couples will be revealed in the premiere.
Modal Trigger

Vaughn Copeland is anxious as he waits to see the woman he will marry.Photo: FYI

Like Otis, he initially said no to doing the show — then had a change of heart.

“You know the expression, ‘Go with your gut’? I can’t even explain it — it was just something I needed to do,” he said. “I never want to be on my deathbed and think, ‘What if?’ ”

Is this part of the reason Jamie was so upset when she saw Doug at the alter instead of Jason?

I remember reading that Jamie & Jason did the photo shoot to promote the show. They didn't want to reveal who the real couples were, so they put Jamie & Jason together for the photos. I believe the photos were taken around June 2014, shortly before the show premiered, but after the real weddings.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought the trip to Vegas was a good idea but I think I expected Jason's proposal and wedding to take place before everyone partied.  I also expected it to be heartfelt.  While his intentions were great, offering up a half-assed proposal ("Uh... so do you want to, you know...?) while both are hungover was a definite wtf moment.  Nothing romantic about that at all, Jason.

However, Courtney was just as bad.  She practically cut him off at the knees with her attitude about the whole thing.  There was a lot of animosity in her tone during their conversation.  And now she wants to move back to NC?  What the hell Courtney?  What about all of this Buddhist wisdom that you've been spouting for the last 2 seasons of what marriage should be?

One second, they are having fun and the next, she flips over to pissed.  Maybe he should have just let her sleep in and nurse the hangover.

I left this episode feeling like I am missing something.  Either the editing is off and is showing Jason in a favorable light and Courtney in a shitty one or we are missing some big fights and conversations here.

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 2

OMG I almost died when Jason brought up the vow renewal and she's was like, "Uh, whyyy!?" Gaaaah that was painful!!!

What is her issue!!? She acts so in loooove with her husband & this marriage but then she's always tripping, crying, can't even listen to her husband when he's pouring his little heart out, always trying to run to NC. WTF is her issue. She had a taste of that party life and I guess forgot about responsibilities, the need to maybe um find a job, help contribute to the family income instead of being broke all the time - I dunno just a few suggestions. 

• Love 1

Just watched the show on DVR and did I actually hear Courtney say, "Nothing about the first year is fun"? Really now! It's only been one year. The 1st year should be the best year. Everything is new and you are both still in that honeymoon love haze. Sweetie just wait until you are married 15 years with 3 kids. You will be looking back at that 1st year as a walk in the park. LOL!

Also, I think my hearing is going bad because I could have sworn that Courtney told Dr. Joseph that she was "trying to make everything so perfect and she needed to quit trying to be super woman"? This coming from the same woman that cannot keep a small apartment clean. Don't worry Courtney, no one thinks that you are super woman. I honestly do not believe that this couple will make it without continuous couples therapy. I give it 3 years at best.

Edited by Angel3186767
  • Love 1

...Jason always seems to be talking about Neph is the only one he can talk to, the only one he really trusts. Dude, that should be your *wife*, and if she isn't, then something is wrong....

You hit it right on the nail. I should propose immediately. Sorry Cort.... hahahah1237530_10101312878547824_24559624134771

Edited by justNeph
  • Love 1

So does this mean the marriage is done for Jason & Cortney? I can't see it being any other way if she plans on returning to NC and that's her priority not her marriage. Or does she expect Jason to give up the career he has wanted for so long and just obtained??? <br /><br />Don't know if I can blame the experts about this obvious mistake since It doesn't seem like anyone thought Cortney would turn out to be so selfish and immature. During the experiment Jason was talking to his friend Neph and about how could he trust someone that could be just pretending to be something else other than their real self (something like that). Guess he was absolutely right.<br /><br />I notice on the other thread that because Cortney has been getting so much negative backlash even the expert Dr. Cilona is coming to her defense on that thread.

Was that the finale? Jamie and Doug's proposal was nice. Not sure how much of it was acting on her part. They have a wedding special coming up! Milk those 15 minutes I guess. Not sure where Cortney and Jason stand. Is she going back to NC? And why would she come on this show to marry a New Yorker when she doesn't feel at home there? Was she looking for a husband make her feel more at home? She needs a reality check for this marriage to work or Jason better run for hills. He will be miserable. I'm excited that a new MAFS series is starting next week. We need fresh faces.

My impression was that Cortney doesn't really have a plan to move to North Carolina any more than she has a plan to start "doing makeup" professionally. She just wanted attention from Jason. By the end of the episode, it seemed like his efforts to make her fall in love with New York were working, or that she'd been distracted by something shiny and forgotten she'd ever talked about moving at all. I mean, in the same conversation at the top of the episode, she announced that she wasn't going to renew her vows, and that didn't last either.

• Love 4

My impression was that Cortney doesn't really have a plan to move to North Carolina any more than she has a plan to start "doing makeup" professionally. She just wanted attention from Jason. By the end of the episode, it seemed like his efforts to make her fall in love with New York were working, or that she'd been distracted by something shiny and forgotten she'd ever talked about moving at all. I mean, in the same conversation at the top of the episode, she announced that she wasn't going to renew her vows, and that didn't last either.

Are you saying Cortney doesn't have a plan, at all

If Jamie did get a job in the entertainment field, she would probably run off with the first hot looking semi-celebrity guy who gives her attention. I know this is all kinds of wrong but... Doug would be smarter to get her pregnant so she would stick around.

[ducking for cover after typing that....]

• Love 2

that was really the finale?  We are suppose to believe after a season of Drama Cortney and Jason are magically more in love than ever? Really? What a bunch of crap! I was really disappointed with this part of the show.

• Love 3

According to thetvdb.com, which is the semi-official source we use at PTV, that was the finale.

But ... on 3/24, we will be treated to "Doug & Jamie's Wedding Special." Woo-hoo! (That's sarcasm, btw.) Nothing at the site about Cortney and Jason, though I'm sure we'll get some kind of update.

For forum purposes, we will discuss the wedding special here.

On March 17 (that's next week, folks), we have Season 2 beginning with a new cast. We will discuss that in the regular forum.

One thing I want to point out is that there will be two versions of Season 2. A&E Networks owns FYI and will show a version of this show on A&E in order to both increase viewership and encourage more viewers to watch FYI. And why would they go to FYI to watch? Because the version on FYI is going to be 15 minutes longer each week.

If Jamie did get a job in the entertainment field, she would probably run off with the first hot looking semi-celebrity guy who gives her attention.

I think this speaks volumes regarding what Jamie is all about. If Cortney and Jason aren't doing another show perhaps they are serious about their marriage or they are done. I'm glad that Jason pointed "is she going to run to NC whenever things get hard"

Wow, not only does Jamie get to marry a man who she finds physically repulsive (her words not mine) and wants to have sex with her nonstop (think about having to do that with someone you find physically gross)...she gets to financially support him as well.  Thanks experts!  I hope getting that Podcast hosting gig was worth it.

Of course this is only if Doug's salesman/comedienne/part time baptizer career does not take off.

I am kidding.  I do hope they work out, but I think Jamie needs some counseling for her traumatic childhood.  I think all four of them need to keep their marriages away from the camera.

This season was a real nose dive in terms of Courtney's likability.

Bring on the next victims...um, I mean participants for season 2.

• Love 1

A) This feels like that quintessential prom picture in front of something that most people have. I'm in my 20s, so I can attest, haha.

B) Would Jamie and Jason last if they were actually married through the experiment? They have the common bond of being from very broken families, but beyond that...maybe? I don't think that complete revulsion she experienced with Doug at first would've happened with Jason.