Type keyword(s) to search

Rick And Morty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Athena said:

Memory Rick says that after they got back, Memory Rick was left in Jerry's mind whether by accident or purpose by Rick. If Memory Rick was in the gestalt, he would have a lot more access than springs and gears. 

I guess I interpreted it differently. He suspects he's in Jerry's brain due to Rick's fault, but the way he says it, it's as if he doesn't remember the Burger-and-Fries/Jerrick thing at all -- or, this is the Burger-and-Fries/Jerrick thing: "How did I get here? I suspect a chunk of Rick's brain got merged with a chunk of Jerry's." Whereas if he had been the key to preserving Rick and Jerry's individual minds, and then got stuck in Jerry's brain after all that, he would have been a lot clearer about how he got left there.

Also, I feel like the show has used end tags to expand on various short gags hinted at earlier in an episode without meaning the tag comes chronologically after the events of the episode, but I don't actually remember enough to cite an example.

Rewatched "The Jerrick Trap." Cute moment: Jerricky rolls barrels at the goons, and then he beats his chest. Neat touch.

Cold Open for "Air Force Wong":

I'm hoping we don't get the obvious hook-up. On the bright side, this is the show where swerves are expected and welcomed.

Edited by Lantern7

"Don't be a space Mormon!" Yep, that one's going into the "frequent quote" pile.

Rick's come a long way, actually gets testy when someone tells him they don't believe in therapy and defends Dr. Wong from the President flirting with her. This was all an excuse for President Curtis to bang Dr. Wong.

Man, I was NOT expecting Unity to come back, and then President Curtis becoming the new hive mind. I already loved the concept of Virginia becoming exclusively for lovers.

Man, this ep was gross as hell, but hilarious. Loved seeing Mr. Stabby in the tag. I wanted to see more of him.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 2

I’m not sure what’s better . . . Susan Sarandon keeping Dr. Wong’s calming tone, or Keith David going full-on ham as the increasingly needy President. Oh, and Christina Hendricks as Unity. I don’t think the show is propped up by guest actors, but they don’t hurt. It’s been a good season, and I’m sure Unity didn’t convert me to make me say that.

Is it me, or are we light on Morty this season after three episodes?

ETA: Rick is listed on the President’s phone as “Goddamn Spaceman.” I thought that was funny.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2

I liked the return of Unity and the interactions with the President and Dr Wong. This sounds strange but I actually watch and like this show for character development. Rick is changing slowly but he's actually a compelling lead to me. The fandom for this show is toxic and it's only gotten worse with the new voice actor change and Roiland being fired.

There is less Morty so far but I think he'll come back more in the back half of the season.

• Like 2

I'm a fan, and I don't feel like I'm toxic about it. Not like I get tattoos based off the show or name pets after characters . . . so maybe I'm not a fan?

Speaking of fandom . . . what was the tag after the credits of this season's first episode? I have completely blanked on that.

(ETA: Gene’s runaway mower. Can’t believe I forgot about that.)

Here's a behind-the-scenes short for "Air Force Wong":

ETA2: Are the tags further away from the episodes’ plots more than usual this season? The lawn mower, Memory Rick, the sword-limb guy . . .)

Edited by Lantern7

I’m not saying that I’m on Rick’s side, but I’d really hate it (and consider restraining orders) if an ex went out of her way to insinuate herself into my life under the guise of “Worrying about me.”  
People, here are the general guidelines for contacting an ex under normal circumstances:

1) Don’t.

2) If you absolutely have to, only attempt contact once.  EVER.  

3) See 1.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Air Force Wong although,  I'm bummed I didn't get to see Rick deal with Werenessie.  

I've always liked the Presidential adventures and, the relationship between Rick/President Curtis was on point in this episode 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 1

So the secret to Rick's famous spaghetti:

IT'S PEOPLE!! From people from a planet who turn into spaghetti when they kill themselves. And it's incredible.

Man, the tonal whiplash considering there was a trigger warning about suicide like five seconds before that reveal. So Morty introduced the concept of Soylent Green to Spaghetti Planet and the capitalism that ruined a whole society by making it as depressing as possible so it drives everyone to suicide. But man...that ending was heavy. There's a reason we don't want to see how the food is made. We wouldn't eat it. I actually ate spaghetti for dinner, too...

That tag with the vacuum cleaner people was a good palate cleanser.

• Like 1

I am going to need to repress the living hell out of this episode if I ever want to eat spaghetti again.

Okay, probably not. I can separate fantasy from reality. But holy shit, that was dark. Darker than the collective asshole of Dethklok. The flashback sequence set to a haunting cover of “Live Forever” (not sure if that’s the song title; dunno who originally performed it) . . . damn. If there’s a surplus of pasta products in the near future, it’ll be because this show has a huge fanbase.

Like I said, I can separate fantasy from reality. This episode is gonna stick with me. I just might have to delete it and try hard not to revisit it.

ETA: "Live Forever" is the title; Oasis originally performed it.

ETA2: Cute bit of continuity that I just remembered . . .  Summer asking for the "par-MEE-see-on."

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1

Y'know, this "alien makes delicious thing in horrible way" factory is very reminiscent of Futurama's Slurm factory episode. I guess the difference is that one didn't really put a whole lot of moral dilemmas on Fry and co.

Also, I'm not sure I buy that suicide is the only way to have started the spaghettification process. Rick said it was due to cortisol levels. If he can genetically engineer brainless torsos, surely he could have just given them baseline super high levels of cortisol.

I liked the tag a lot.

7 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

But man...that ending was heavy. There's a reason we don't want to see how the food is made. We wouldn't eat it.

Come to think of it, the ep was a fairly thin metaphor for industrial scale animal husbandry, sooooo =/

Also, I'm not sure the plot fully hangs together. If the universe as a whole rejects Morty-O's Spaghetti on moral or ethical concerns, why would they also reject a synthesized duplicate that doesn't have any of those concerns? In the real world I'm sure some vegetarians have aesthetic reasons for rejecting Impossible Burgers, but surely the ethical concerns are adequately addressed, right?

I guess then again, the question would be why would Rick sign over the rights to the spaghetti to Spaghetti Planet, or even why wouldn't it be synthesizable by the universe at large anyways.

Which reminds me of how I vaguely understand the last few books of the Dune series go, where among other things eventually the mad scientists of that universe manage to synthesize "spice" and forever end any monopoly on spice.

Edited by arc

That episode was something else. The vacuum tag was so strange but worked for the levity. Ugh. This was one of the most triggering episodes I've seen in awhile. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

3 hours ago, arc said:

Also, I'm not sure the plot fully hangs together. If the universe as a whole rejects Morty-O's Spaghetti on moral or ethical concerns, why would they also reject a synthesized duplicate that doesn't have any of those concerns? In the real world I'm sure some vegetarians have aesthetic reasons for rejecting Impossible Burgers, but surely the ethical concerns are adequately addressed, right?

I guess then again, the question would be why would Rick sign over the rights to the spaghetti to Spaghetti Planet, or even why wouldn't it be synthesizable by the universe at large anyways.

I think the "Real Spaghetti" aliens showed it that the commodity is so good that there will always be demand for it. You can get Impossible Burgers and be vegetarian, but lots of people will always prefer meat and not think too hard about the ethical aspects of it. If you eat meat, you have to know that industrial farming is involved at some point.

Our technology has not reached a level where fake meat is as "good" as real meat. I don't think Rick could do it either or didn't want to. It would still be "fake" and there will always be demand for real spaghetti in some form. We are getting close to synthesized meat now but can you really imagine a world where everyone eats it over the real stuff? Rick knows he had to make it distasteful as possible to end as much demand for the real thing.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Athena said:

Our technology has not reached a level where fake meat is as "good" as real meat. I don't think Rick could do it either or didn't want to.

Over the seasons, the show has gradually tried to put some soft limits on Rick. But I still feel like if Rick could genetically engineer torsos from the Planet Spaghettians, he could have synthesized a molecule for molecule replacement.

Separately, it strikes me now that modern vacuums are largely bagless, to the point that many stores that sell vacuum cleaners don’t even sell bags anymore. Maybe the sentient vacuum cleaners have eliminated bagless vacuum mutations.

I wonder if Morty’s promise was a promise from the writers to stop doing the “Morty raises an ethical objection and then doing it more ethically blows up on him” plot or just the subset that starts with Rick doing something mysterious.

Edited by arc

We are 4 episodes into this season and there have been no B plots in each ep. The last couple of seasons has had eps with a lot less B plots overall. It's unlikely we will get one for the next ep which is hyped to be a pivotal episode. Screeners were not sent out for ep 5. I do like the show without B plots since I think it can make for tighter story telling, but this season in particular is more focused on the A plots of each ep.

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The commercial for the next episode wasn't kidding about spoilers. I haven't seen a preview with the cold open yet.

Reviewers who got screeners said that they were told that they wouldn't be getting anything for ep 5. All this buildup is fascinating. The short preview does hint at Rick Prime stuff. 

Oh man, Eyepatch Morty origins! And finally fighting Prime Rick! Man, that beatdown of Prime Rick was incredibly brutal. Now what? Apparently, next week Morty tries to cash in on his Morty Adventure cards.

Wow, Slow Mobius came back just to reveals he's Rick's Uncle...and then die.

• Like 2

Well. Rick has apparently killed Rick Prime. Now what?

No, really . . .  we got five episodes left in the season. Obviously, something has to happen to make those happen, and it can't stop at Morty trying to cash in some of his cards.

Great episode. It made me forget about "That's Amorte" for a few minutes. I never expected an origin for Evil/Eyepatch Morty.I'm not sure if he'd make for a good antagonist, since all he wanted to do was live a Rick-free life. "Our" Rick's experiments were basically him banging on E/EM's ceiling. Does that make sense?

Once again, the tag felt like it was far removed from the main plot, though seeing the wife of (a) Slow Mobius settling down with someone else Rick Prime hurt made for a nice epilogue for the episode.

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Once again, the tag felt like it was far removed from the main plot, though seeing the wife of (a) Slow Mobius settling down with someone else Rick Prime hurt made for a nice epilogue for the episode.

Many Ricks have a nihilistic view of humanity, and the show too a lot of times. So it's nice to see that instead of birthing another endless cycle of revenge (as Evil Morty suggested would happen to him if he used the cross-universe nullifier weapon), the widow Mobius moved on.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Well. Rick has apparently killed Rick Prime. Now what?

No, really . . .  we got five episodes left in the season. Obviously, something has to happen to make those happen, and it can't stop at Morty trying to cash in some of his cards.

I don’t pay attention to R&M episode count or renewal information.  I came out of this episode thinking it felt like a Series Finale.  I have no idea what comes next, I guess we go back to episodic adventures, no main arc?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I have no idea what comes next, I guess we go back to episodic adventures, no main arc?

I think that's the point of the episode: What now? Rick got what he wanted, but the revenge was hollow.

The show is honestly gonna explore it, and I can't wait to see where it goes. I want to see more of that nexus plane Evil Morty lived in, with all the other multiverse travelers like the Jetsons clones that kept killing each successive version of themselves.

• Like 2

I was not expecting the auditor to be a talking rock that observes everything. And so we get this season's "Morty's Mindblowers." And then Morty gets it killed and then Rick and Morty are put on trial by other Observers.

They showed on actual clip in this clip show (the giant trial), I couldn't believe it.

Not only did Rick kill the versions of him and Morty that were in Space Jam, and they welcomed death, begged for it.

And oh no, Churry is gonna be the new Evil Morty, isn't he?

Another fun episode that veers from the initial premise. I’m just happy the rocks didn’t go over “That’s Amorte,” because I don’t want to revisit that just yet.

Rick and his guns were a good self-contained running gag. Of course Morty would blow out his midsection by shooting himself with a “bully gun.”

I didn’t see Lebron’s Space Jam. Were the appearances of (a) Rick and Morty that gratuitous?

Maria Bamford voiced one of the rocks! I’m reading her book now. I’m glad she’s still doing voice acting work.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1

Inside the Episode:

I never thought of "The City On The Edge Of Forever." I heard the rocks, I thought they sounded like warped versions of Ted Knight doing his Super Friends narrations.

And here's the Death Battle with the Doctor:

20 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I didn’t see Lebron’s Space Jam. Were the appearances of (a) Rick and Morty that gratuitous?

Yep, they show up to drop off Taz and leave. That Rick gave off the vibe of not wanting to even be there, no wonder they were begging for death.

6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I never thought of "The City On The Edge Of Forever." I heard the rocks, I thought they sounded like warped versions of Ted Knight doing his Super Friends narrations.

Since it was Maurice LaMarche voicing one of them, I got vibes of The Big Brain from Futurama.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:27 PM, Galileo908 said:

And oh no, Churry is gonna be the new Evil Morty, isn't he?

Blech. I sure hope not. Why didn't Rick just give Churry some new brought-to-life churro friends? It's not like they could reproduce.

I don't think this interview with Dan Harmon and new (since season 5) showrunner Scott Marder was posted here yet:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/13/23951296/rick-and-morty-dan-harmon-scott-marder-interview-season-7

Rick and Morty’s Dan Harmon and Scott Marder are trusting the process for season 7

[...]

[Dan Harmon:] [...] Scott came on this show late in season 4. He was hired to start running things for season 5, and the first sign that he had bit off more than his therapist could chew was that he had to help us finish season 4, which just wasn’t what he was hired to do, you know?

[...]

And what does your “fine” look and feel like now having gone through therapy?

DH: I can go home at 5PM, and what that requires is trust and delegation and acquiescence. I’m not able to pull the breaks on the show. I’m still the reason why the show isn’t as on schedule as it could be, but I no longer get to be the reason why it literally stops down while I finish a pass on a script or something like that.  

Therapy taught me: start with this one simple step: set your hours. Because if you don’t, this city will suck your life dry, and when it results in your divorce, or your suicide, or you’re drinking yourself to death, this city will say, “Who’s the next workaholic? Get him over here.”

And how do you guard against that?

DH: If you set boundaries for yourself, it actually starts to benefit the people around you because it means that you have to trust them, you have to communicate with them, and you have to accept leadership from them. Scott is my boss, and at the end of the day, we rely on people like Heather Anne Campbell for our darkness; she’s got enough for everybody.

SM: She taps it well. 

Finally, a Summer adventure! And Morty becomes her Kuato. And then they get trafficked and Morty got Taken'd. And then the villain was a Kuato in a Kuato in another Kuato.

A gloriously stupid episode. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

• Like 3

I liked it even though I generally don't like body horror stuff.

5 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

A gloriously stupid episode. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

"Gloriously stupid" is exactly right.

• Like 2

That was . . . weird. Even for this series.

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

You'd think Kuato references would be played out by now, but this show found a way to keep it fresh.

Didn't Rick Prime have one in his battle with Evil Morty?

• Like 1

"Air Force Wong". President Curtis starts taking Rick's therapist Dr. Wong on
his missions which leads Rick to suspect that Curtis wants to date his
therapist. Meanwhile an old flame of Rick's takes over Virginia where more
tensions and sparks start to rise.

Nice to see Unity again and Virginia being literally "for lovers". Rick and the president have a weird relationship.