Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Girl Meets Crazy Hat

Cory divides his class into two fake companies for a lesson, one driven by profits and the other by making people happy. Meanwhile, Riley and Maya encounter a lady in the subway who is quite different than they first perceive her to be.

Let's guess the plot…. I'm going with the lady in the crazy hat used to own/run a very successful company, making lots of money. Until one day she decided she wasn't happy and there was more to life than just profits. So she now spends her time in the subway giving all that money way. Bonus points if Corey somehow gets his class to all take the subway to meet her. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..... that is all. -_-

She's annoying. Don't blame Topanga for not liking her AT ALL. She's controlling.

That's not all, she will be apearring in the following episodes which have yet to air

Girl Meets Fish

Girl Meets Game Night (and Auggie's not even in this episode as I recall from a live taping review)

Girl Meets Farkle's Choice

Girl Meets Master Plan

Girl Meets Flawless

Girl Meets First Date

Edited by MoonWalker

That's not all, she will be apearring in the following episodes which have yet to air

Girl Meets Fish

Girl Meets Game Night (and Auggie's not even in this episode as I recall from a live taping review)

Girl Meets Farkle's Choice

Girl Meets Master Plan

Girl Meets Flawless

Girl Meets First Date

Thanks for the heads up. Mute button, here I come! :D

• Love 1

I've missed a few episodes, but I found this one all sorts of awful.  I'm assuming Jackee Harry isn't playing the same person that she did in the pilot.  But I just can't take any more of Cory's entire class revolving around Riley and friends.  Nobody else in class exists.  Riley uses the class to endlessly discuss her own personal problems.  Cory lets them and even designs all lessons around them.  Riley acts annoying.  Riley continues to act annoying.

Auggie's little girlfriend is super annoying and I hope she disappears soon. 

I really hope hey make some tweaks to this show before the second season.

• Love 2

I've missed a few episodes, but I found this one all sorts of awful.  I'm assuming Jackee Harry isn't playing the same person that she did in the pilot.  But I just can't take any more of Cory's entire class revolving around Riley and friends.  Nobody else in class exists.  Riley uses the class to endlessly discuss her own personal problems.  Cory lets them and even designs all lessons around them.  Riley acts annoying.  Riley continues to act annoying.

Auggie's little girlfriend is super annoying and I hope she disappears soon. 

I really hope hey make some tweaks to this show before the second season.

Agreed. Boy Meets World did this too, but at least they included the class at times.

Word. Can not STAND her. Glad Topanga took her out via the new hide and seek lmao. Worth every cent. Loved the sugarcube remark too XD.

Hopefully they will.

The thing that annoys me most with this show is the whole Auggie "I'm only this many" thing. Just say "I'm only five." Arrggghhhh.

Yea that is annoying. Hope they cut that out soon.

Word. Can not STAND her. Glad Topanga took her out via the new hide and seek lmao. Worth every cent. Loved the sugarcube remark too XD.

When Topanga called Ava a "little sugar cube," the line dragged a little bit and I almost expected her to call her a little shit instead. I wonder if that was intentional

• Love 1

I liked the episode despite Riley being annoying. And Farkle. And Auggie. And Ava.

Maya, Lucas, and Cory made the episode for me. The chemistry between Maya and Lucas makes every interaction fun.

I'm indifferent to Topanga, who remains shackled to her annoying kid.

I'm tired of Riley being an annoying little brat and interrupting Cory's classes, making everything about her. As much as Farkle annoyed me, he had a point about Riley's antics interfering in his education. The writers have to be aware by now that no one likes how they write those classroom scenes. Hopefully they fix it accordingly in season 2, since season 1 is already in the can. Although, in an ideal world he wouldn't be there teacher in the next season.

Dare I mention there's one huge conceit to this episode that the real world destroys?

You'd never, and I mean NEVER, be allowed to place a container like the ones for those umbrellas in NYC subway stations. Definitely not since 9/11, and I think maybe not even before that.  I bet I don't even have to explain why, do I?

Edited by Kromm

I thought it was simply a rack of some sort, though that point didn't occur to me at the time and I didn't get a good look at it. Considering the show's Shake It Up!-like sensibilities, I'm pretty sure the writers just let it go in the name of effect.

Maybe I'm the outlier, but I thought this episode was quirkily funny. It had by this show's standards a fairly gentle lesson, and wrapped it in lunacy: Farkle the corporate overlord and Cory's entire class being addicted to sugar muffins, which might have crossed over into a pleasant satire, and to a lesser extent Auggie's gold-digging girlfriend Ava (that said, while he's shackled to Topanga by default, it'd be nice to see a story with Auggie and his dad). OTOH, I'm still undecided on whether Farkle's multilingual remark about Riley's emotional state basically driving the class was meant for the show or for us.

And I'm going to have to watch the pilot again, because I want to be sure Jackée's then-unnamed character there can or can't be Ms. Crazy Hat.

Edited by Bill C.
  • Love 1

I thought it was simply a rack of some sort, though that point didn't occur to me at the time and I didn't get a good look at it. Considering the show's Shake It Up!-like sensibilities, I'm pretty sure the writers just let it go in the name of effect.

Even if it WAS just a rack (did we even get a good look at the finished thing?), there'd still be the aspect of a system of having people leave something behind and others picking it up.  Even if there were no worries at all about explosives, there'd still be drug and money drops.

Agreed. Boy Meets World did this too, but at least they included the class at times.

Yes, BMW did this too at times.  But it was made somewhat less icky because at least Feeny wasn't related to the kids.  It's the fact that Cory is Riley's dad that ramps into uncomfortable territory at times.  It's like he uses class time to parent his own child.  So for me it would definitely be somewhat easier to take if we were taking the parent/child aspect out of it.

Plus most kids at that age would be totally embarrassed to be having those sort of interactions with their parent publicly in front of a room full of their peers.  

These eps must be out of order, last week Corey Fogelmanis was a series regular, this week he's a guest star.

Plus, why would Riley be peddling sugar muffins if their family have stake in a bakery?

And there's no way the blond classmate that sits behind Lucas going into sugar shock is in the 7th grade.

That being said, this episode had a lot of lunacy and crazy sight gags that I appreciated during BMWs later seasons.

Of note, I wish Farkle's teammates, Nerdy Asian kid and Nerdy African American kid were in the classroom more. In the credits they are listed as "Academic Top-Half" and "Academic Bottom-Half" not making that up.

I will love Farkle forever if only for his comment about his education should not be based on Corey's daughter's moods.  You tell him Farkle...and get your rich dad to come to the school and make a formal complaint that your history teacher feels the need to teach economics and Lord knows what else because his daughter suffers from a new mini meltdown daily.

• Love 6

Ah, the good ol' "Mystical Black Woman drops in to teach the white kids a lesson" trope. Yeesh.

Also, I don't understand what's supposed to be happening with Auggie. Is he homeschooled? Is it just not in the budget to show him doing his wacky things in kindergarten during school hours? Prediction for next season: Auggie is a prodigy and joins Riley and Maya's class.

Ah, the good ol' "Mystical Black Woman drops in to teach the white kids a lesson" trope. Yeesh.

Also, I don't understand what's supposed to be happening with Auggie. Is he homeschooled? Is it just not in the budget to show him doing his wacky things in kindergarten during school hours? Prediction for next season: Auggie is a prodigy and joins Riley and Maya's class.

Welcome to Disney, home of the never ending tropes. Tbh though, I try to ignore that kind of thing. It's not worth getting upset over. As long as they work on making the stories better, that's what counts imo.

It's worth a "yeesh" at least. They know better and it just looks bad. I look forward to a future episode that isn't completely nonsensical, but it's no Boy Meets World. I think the show would seem less bizarre overall if there were more teachers and some interaction between them. I can only imagine it must be serious budgetary constraints keeping the cast intentionally tiny. Otherwise, WTF show? Why so weird?

It's worth a "yeesh" at least. They know better and it just looks bad. I look forward to a future episode that isn't completely nonsensical, but it's no Boy Meets World. I think the show would seem less bizarre overall if there were more teachers and some interaction between them. I can only imagine it must be serious budgetary constraints keeping the cast intentionally tiny. Otherwise, WTF show? Why so weird?

Understandable. Agreed on that. I don't know why they haven't brought in more teachers either, besides the budget, like you said. Wish they'd allow for more interaction and more teachers... hopefully the second season will bring that.

Of note, I wish Farkle's teammates, Nerdy Asian kid and Nerdy African American kid were in the classroom more. In the credits they are listed as "Academic Top-Half" and "Academic Bottom-Half" not making that up.

I think that would be from the invitation episode where they were under the big coat together to look like a tall person and one was on top the other on the bottom? But surely they should have names by now...!

Ah.  I thought it was "Magical Black Woman" (more often, Magical Black Man--which started with Uncle Remus).

As for Auggie, I don't wish the little actor any bad will, but the fictional character himself?  Should be sent to Disney Reform School or something and disappear from the show. Or at least when he's THIS MANY, and it takes two hands to show (in other words, next season, when they start shooting episodes again), that they write him a major personality transplant.

I know there are union rates to contend with, but extras aren't THAT expensive.  Even just seeing them in the school hallways occasionally.  And I've said it before, one major reoccurring role we DO need cast is a Principal or Vice-Principal (you never need both on TV).  THAT'S the person who should be announcing things, refereeing at some of those club meetings so it doesn't seem like Corey is the only person the school employs, and is also the ideal foil for Maya, and to a lesser extent Corey.  Both characters in their own ways would benefit greatly from someone in authority leaning on them a bit.

• Love 1

I think that would be from the invitation episode where they were under the big coat together to look like a tall person and one was on top the other on the bottom? But surely they should have names by now...!

Sorry, what I meant to say was Academic top and bottom were their names in the credits of Girl Meets Smackle

Edited by BigPaul25

I thought it was really good.  I do think Farkle is over the top but I feel like the rest of the cast balances him out somewhat.  I do hope that he gets toned down a little more.  I thought the muffin hitting Maya was funny and I didn't mind the magical black woman charging in and giving a lesson.  When is that a bad thing? 

I don't hate Auggie either.  He's so cute to me and I think he's the best way to keep Topanga in the episode right now.  She can't be at the school with the rest of the cast, so this is a good happy medium imo.

I do wish that Cory wasn't the history teacher.  None of his lessons have anything to do with history, not really.  A homeroom teacher would have been more appropriate.

Sorry, what I meant to say was Academic top and bottom were their names in the credits of Girl Meets Smackle

Yes, I got that. The "names" have probably stuck from the earlier episode.

And there's no way the blond classmate that sits behind Lucas going into sugar shock is in the 7th grade.

I can't find the age of the actress who plays the girl going into sugar shock, but I can tell you there's a reason she appears older.  According to IMDB, that girl is ... Sabrina Carpenter's older sister!  Rowan is 12, Sabrina is 15, so Sarah Carpenter is even older than that.

I will love Farkle forever if only for his comment about his education should not be based on Corey's daughter's moods.  You tell him Farkle...and get your rich dad to come to the school and make a formal complaint that your history teacher feels the need to teach economics and Lord knows what else because his daughter suffers from a new mini meltdown daily.

That was a great moment for Farkle.  He really needs his Dad to send him to private school and not the Matthews Family Public Hour.

This show hit gold with Sabrina Carpenter.  Her performance is the only thing keeping GMW from being totally unbearable. 

• Love 1

That was a great moment for Farkle.  He really needs his Dad to send him to private school and not the Matthews Family Public Hour.

This show hit gold with Sabrina Carpenter.  Her performance is the only thing keeping GMW from being totally unbearable. 

Nah :P. He adds to the show, any annoyance aside.

Agreed. She helps to balance it out imo. Riley is a work in progress.

I can't find the age of the actress who plays the girl going into sugar shock, but I can tell you there's a reason she appears older.  According to IMDB, that girl is ... Sabrina Carpenter's older sister!  Rowan is 12, Sabrina is 15, so Sarah Carpenter is even older than that.

No, Sabrina's real life sister is the one in the class with the brown curly hair and glasses and she's only two years older than Sabrina.

That blonde girl is that obnoxious extra in the classroom who makes those over-exaggerated faces. She looks like she's freaking 24 years old.

Except the "Mystical Black Woman" is a multimillionaire, with a skyscraper that bears her name. There are worse people to teach you a lesson. I guess that is Jackee's natural voice? I always thought it was something she put on. (I remember her from the Marla Gibbs sitcom "227.")

I thought the umbrella idea was stupid, though. You can buy one on the street for $5 or $10, and if it craps out on you, it's only $5. If you've spent money for a good one, then you're going to make sure you take it with you, not leave it for the next subway schlub.

Liked that Farkle called out Riley for making class all about her all the time. 

Who on earth could eat a giant sugar cube? My teeth were rotting just thinking about it.

Love that Topanga has a 6-year-old girl as an arch nemesis.  

But really, what class does Cory Matthews actually teach? And being a homeroom teacher wouldn't work. In my high school, homeroom was were we gathered before the day started. There was never any teaching (and certainly no assignments or homework).

Except the "Mystical Black Woman" is a multimillionaire, with a skyscraper that bears her name. There are worse people to teach you a lesson. I guess that is Jackee's natural voice? I always thought it was something she put on. (I remember her from the Marla Gibbs sitcom "227.")

I thought the umbrella idea was stupid, though. You can buy one on the street for $5 or $10, and if it craps out on you, it's only $5. If you've spent money for a good one, then you're going to make sure you take it with you, not leave it for the next subway schlub.

Liked that Farkle called out Riley for making class all about her all the time. 

Who on earth could eat a giant sugar cube? My teeth were rotting just thinking about it.

Love that Topanga has a 6-year-old girl as an arch nemesis.  

But really, what class does Cory Matthews actually teach? And being a homeroom teacher wouldn't work. In my high school, homeroom was were we gathered before the day started. There was never any teaching (and certainly no assignments or homework).

They're just kids. It's a decent idea for what it's worth imo. And a thoughtful one. They weren't starting the company up to make money, but to help others. It's a good lesson for kids these days to learn. That it isn't all about money, that there's no harm in helping others out and expecting nothing in return.

• Love 1

They're just kids. It's a decent idea for what it's worth imo. And a thoughtful one. They weren't starting the company up to make money, but to help others. It's a good lesson for kids these days to learn. That it isn't all about money, that there's no harm in helping others out and expecting nothing in return.

Well other than the previously mentioned caveat that it would never be allowed in the real world.  But in a Disney Sitcom universe, yes, it was a good honest idea.

I honestly don't have a problem with the whole issue of what Cory teaches (versus what he's supposed to be teaching).  When you look at the original BMW, honestly, how realistic was it that Feeney followed them through their entire school career?  I think the whole main premise of this show is that it's a new take on how Cory (and Shawn, Topanga, and Eric) got life lessons from Feeney (both in school and at home), and now Cory is the one passing those life lessons along to the next generation (again, both in school and at home), and he wants to be like Feeney, it's likely why he got into teaching in the first place.  It's not completely realistic for a history teacher to be doing some of these lessons (although why they don't call him a social studies teacher instead, since that seems more common at the junior high/middle school level, is beyond me, it might make the lessons so far seem more plausible as falling under his umbrella), but it's a kid's show, and I don't think their main focus is strict reality to the real world school environment (and, really, not many kids' shows do portray a realistic version of school, so this is hardly a new issue).  

Also, sometimes, teachers do go with lessons that aren't considered typical for their area.  Right now, my 6th grader is in an honors language arts class that is a little non-traditional.  It's the only class in his schedule that takes up two periods (even the other honors courses are just one period), and their current project is that they're working on one of those "real world" things, where each kid was given a packet telling them what they do, what they make, what their expenses are, how big their families are, etc, and they get new issues each day that they have to integrate into their lives.  It doesn't strike me as very language arts (I'd expect it to be more in a social studies or math class among the classes his grade level has available to them), but it's good for the kids' overall education.  

Again, I think a lot of the issue would go away if Cory was labelled a social studies teacher and not a history teacher, because social studies gives a bit broader of a range of potential topics.  It incorporates history, but not solely history.  But, overall, I don't have a problem with it, it works with the show's overall gimmick.  

Now, having said that, it wouldn't kill them to have another teacher on the show - a friend or rival for Cory, maybe someone the kids feel more comfortable confiding in about certain issues, or a principal for all of them to interact with.  Something.  

• Love 1

Finally got to see the beginning of the episode... HATED it. Riley was annoying and I wanted to throw a pillow at my tv screen. Instead, I just deleted the episode. It sucks, because parts of it were ok.

It was just when Riley talked during parts (it was mainly a lines issue with me, but still, it's not all that promising) (no offense), that made my ears bleed. The annoyingness hit a new peak :(. I think that might just kill the show sadly.

• Love 1

I think I'm going to decide to believed that the school actually a homeschool tutorial, and those four are the only kids taking Cory's "middle school social studies" class (and that Lucas's parents believe in "better late than early" and didn't start formal academics until about age 9) and everyone else signed up for something else. That also explains why Cory runs all the clubs/groups, because he's the one who is interested in doing so.  Parents don't complain because they do their child's real education at home and just drop them off at the Tutorial a couple of days a week to get time with other kids. Maya is homeschooled with Riley the other days of the week, so her mom has time to work her day job and go to acting auditions, and that explains why Maya seems to basically live with them.  

Makes far more sense than a New York public school!