Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Dice

Liked this more than the premiere. Felt a little like season 1/2 material! I definitely prefer Schmidt as a douche, and not a lovestruck softie. Winston is amazing as always.

I also liked this episode more than the premiere.  I was laughing pretty consistently throughout this one.  I loved everything that involved Schmidt teaching Jess how to use the online dating app.  The fake lines he gave her to get out of the dates were hilarious, and I loved that she would just pull them out and read them off the card in front of the guys.  Just hilarious.

The storyline where Winston brings his high friends to the barbecue filled with cops was also pretty funny.  This season is off to a great start and I hope it continues to stay on track.  I think and hope that the writers keep Nick and Jess from getting back together.   I thought I would like them together, but in hindsight that whole storyline sucked a lot of the fun out of the show last season so I hope they stay broken up for awhile.

• Love 1

On a related note, I just saw this list of Tinder messages earlier today. I can't imagine how Jess would react to some of these terrible propositions (it should go without saying that the text of these messages are NSFW).

Part of me didn't like having the cast split up, but I'm glad I didn't have to see Jess acting stoned too. Schmidt probably would have spent his time at the party scolding them for being stoned and complaining that the party was a total sausage fest.

Oh, Winston. Toilet is such a horrible nickname that it's better not to have one.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

The weird looser guys that Jess met up with were great, as was Stoned Cece wandering through the party and talking to the dog. And Jess's little off-camera "eeeeeuwww" at the end after the magician announced that he was going to pull a hat from a rabbit. This episode was a definite improvement over the season premier.

• Love 3

Winston pulled off a great scam. I didn't see that coming.

I don't think that was a scam, if you mean he invited them to come just so he could have the cops bust them. But I did like that he figured out a way to use the situation to become cool with them. "Flush flush, what's the rush! Toilet's coming!"

I loved stoned Nick, particularly back at the apartment.

The montage of Jess simply reading the exit lines during bad dates was great.

Loved Schmidt's comments on the restaurant. "I'll take the rock shrimp meatballs? What IS this place?"

Overall I enjoyed this ep, though sometimes it seemed like the writing was trying too hard with Schmidt. I know they're trying to get back to original Schmidt, but some of the lines seemed to be trying too hard to be funny.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed when Nick, CeCe and Coach walked into the party, all the cops turned around, and it dawned on them that they were high with a bunch of cops. Nick's "I didn't think this through" was such a classic Nick line. Then Coach starts swaying and rocking cause it just hit him. Ha! Better than last week's episode.

• Love 3

And with this we're back to classic New Girl.

Glad to see CeCe as one of the group and not just Jess's friend or Schmidt's boyfriend. I'm not typically into comedies about getting stoned because the humor tends to cater to the lowest common denominator. But this show does physical comedy in a way that modern sitcoms almost never do, and it paid off here.

So thinking back to the first season, I kept thinking that Schmidt and Jess were the obvious romantic pairing. They have great chemistry, and she makes him a better person (unlike Nick) while he helps her deal with the world. The writers are admittedly bad at writing relationships. But I got that vibe again last night. I don't care if they ever hook up, but give me more Jess + Schmidt.

• Love 9

Everything about High Nick was genius, and everything Winston did was genius.  I could watch both of these things on loop.  Like I've said before, Winston can break my heart with one line or facial expression -- his emotions are so real!

The rest, meh.  I thought the dating montage was kind of mean.  Cece was not funny, and the show really doesn't seem to understand Damon Wayans Jr.'s character.  He's just kind of there -- and I say this as a big fan of the actor.  I'm still finding Cece and DWJ superfluous.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I really enjoyed when Nick, CeCe and Coach walked into the party, all the cops turned around, and it dawned on them that they were high with a bunch of cops. Nick's "I didn't think this through" was such a classic Nick line. Then Coach starts swaying and rocking cause it just hit him. Ha! Better than last week's episode.

That sort of shimmy he was doing cracked me up. 

Glad to see CeCe as one of the group and not just Jess's friend or Schmidt's boyfriend. I'm not typically into comedies about getting stoned because the humor tends to cater to the lowest common denominator. But this show does physical comedy in a way that modern sitcoms almost never do, and it paid off here.

So thinking back to the first season, I kept thinking that Schmidt and Jess were the obvious romantic pairing. They have great chemistry, and she makes him a better person (unlike Nick) while he helps her deal with the world. The writers are admittedly bad at writing relationships. But I got that vibe again last night. I don't care if they ever hook up, but give me more Jess + Schmidt.

Yes, they are a good combination together. As to your first paragraph, I also enjoyed seeing CeCe as one of the group, and in scenes where Schmidt and Jess weren't even there. 

Coach:  "Look, a hummingbird!"

Screen-Shot-2013-04-24-at-2.00.33-PM.png

Nick: "That's insane!  There's no such thing as hummingbirds!  Birds don't hum!"

Bwahahaha!

There was some other point last night where he said something equally as ignorant. For someone who went through law school, he has some terrible gaps in his knowledge base. 

This felt like a return to the second season for me, too, and I hope it continues. 

• Love 2

Coach:  "Look, a hummingbird!"

Screen-Shot-2013-04-24-at-2.00.33-PM.png

Nick: "That's insane!  There's no such thing as hummingbirds!  Birds don't hum!"

Bwahahaha!

Wait a second... Jake Johnson is grumpy cat? The resemblance is uncanny!

12.27.2013-1.jpg

• Love 4

There was some other point last night where he said something equally as ignorant. For someone who went through law school, he has some terrible gaps in his knowledge base. 

I was going to defend him and say 'well, he was high' but it probably didn't matter. Nick Miller might truly believe that hummingbirds are just really big bees.

• Love 3

I loved this episode, and found it so relatable.  I mean who hasn't walked into a party only to realize that they were too drunk or stoned to actually form coherent sentences with other human beings?  *looks around.  hears nothing but crickets* Oh, just me?  Well anywho, I loved how they took that concept and dialed it up to 11 by having the party be 98% cops. 

I've never used Tinder or any dating app, but I have some younger single friends who do and OH! The stories they tell. It's brutal. So, yep, this storyline with Jess and Schmidt rang very true - and funny - to me.

I think most of my favorite moments have already been mentioned, but just to recap:

1. Jess thinking "DTF" meant Darn Tootin' Fun

2. Cece having the meaningful conversation with the dog --- plus the dog being in the closet with them

3. Nick believing that hummingbirds weren't real

4.  Winston loving his new nickname, "Toilet"   

• Love 6

I could have watched an entire episode about Nick, Cece & Coach being high.  Either in the apartment or at the picnic.  I loved when Nick was rambling on in the apartment and Cece was cracking up behind him.  I wonder if that was Hannah Simone just having a hard time keeping it together cause Jake Johnson is hysterical.  This show is back to all the things I loved in the beginning without all the relationship drama now.  It's great just to see them being friends and idiots and I really love that Nick and Cece have more shenanigans together cause I think they work great together.

I was going to defend him and say 'well, he was high' but it probably didn't matter. Nick Miller might truly believe that hummingbirds are just really big bees.

I think he's said off-the-wall things like that when sober, but of course I can't remember any of them right now.

I've been working in hospitals for 15 years and, on subjects not related to medicine, some of the stupidest people I've ever met have been MDs. 

• Love 2

I've been working in hospitals for 15 years and, on subjects not related to medicine, some of the stupidest people I've ever met have been MDs. 

This - there is a difference between book smart and life smart, and some people just don't have both in the same amount.

Having said that, Nick's knowledge gaps are all over the place and inconsistent. He's sort of street smart, had to have been sort of book smart to be in law school... It is sort of bizarre. But that's Nick!