Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I'll just address one little point:

1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

However, Alex has never even been shown to even glance at a guy OR woman and check them out. 

There was some flirtation between her a Maxwell Lord in Season 1. (Though it's debatable whether it was genuine.)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Trini said:

There was some flirtation between her a Maxwell Lord in Season 1. (Though it's debatable whether it was genuine.)

I had forgotten about that, but as you said, there was a question about whether it was genuine or whether Lord was attempting to discover whether Alex worked for some Secret Organization. I think that was what he was trying to find out.  I remember he was very shady with her and seemed to be using her;  I want to say that he used her attraction towards him or she reacted to his flattering attention towards her.

In S1, yes, there was that little bit between Alex and Max, and IIRC some of the fans were shipping them.  But it never went anywhere, Peter Facinelli didn't make the move to Vancouver, and then Alex had her self-realization.  And I think that's the important thing: Alex didn't come out, even to herself, until she was in her late 20's.  She wasn't one of the kids like some are today who are out-and-proud in high school; she was trying to figure out why her relationships with guys never seemed to work out, until Maggie came along and she finally had some context for her feelings.  So she's still trying to find her way in herself.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

In S1, yes, there was that little bit between Alex and Max, and IIRC some of the fans were shipping them.  But it never went anywhere, Peter Facinelli didn't make the move to Vancouver, and then Alex had her self-realization.  And I think that's the important thing: Alex didn't come out, even to herself, until she was in her late 20's.  She wasn't one of the kids like some are today who are out-and-proud in high school; she was trying to figure out why her relationships with guys never seemed to work out, until Maggie came along and she finally had some context for her feelings.  So she's still trying to find her way in herself.

I think what threw people (including yours truly) is that we'd never seen any indication in Season 1 that Alex was sexually attracted to women.  We'd never seen her discreetly checking out other women and then having a "What the hell am I doing?" reaction, and we'd never seen her even THINK about another woman "that way."  Then, after she met Maggie, it was as though someone had just flipped a switch, and suddenly she was not only gay, she'd ALWAYS been gay, and she only just realized it with Maggie and then re-enforced that realization with Sara. It was too abrupt a transition that seemingly came out of nowhere, and it smacked of writers who had no clue as to what it is REALLY like to grow up always having known what one's true sexual orientation is but living in constant denial about it even to oneself because the truth is simply too overwhelming to deal with.

• Love 4

This ^^.  Said more eloquently, than I managed.  Despite many interviews stating that Alex is Gay, the lack of any historical indicators makes me skeptical that Alex is Solely Gay. She could be, but the writers did a poor job of setting that up and I just question why. I suspect its simply a ratings thing. I think, the writers are trying to capture the popularity of Sara's character on LOT and think they've narrowed it down to her sexuality, so they've tried to emulate that popularity in Alex's character. However, they've misjudged her popularity badly. Sara's popularity is not solely due to her sexuality. Sara is fun, she kicks ass and laughs in your face as she's doing it. She's honest with others and she's an excellent leader. Now, "Supergirl" is trying to capture the affection that fans have for Sara by changing Alex into "Supergirl's" version of Sara. Winn's new suit for Alex makes her an even bigger badass than she was before, with J'onzz departure making Alex the de facto leader of the DEO (which honestly, isn't his call; he can designate her in-charge while he's away from the DEO, but I would think it's a Presidential appointment, and up to President Marsdin for it to be permanent).  I think it's all the show's attempt to capture some of the popularity of "LOT" to help with the ratings of "Supergirl". It may work, but Alex is not Sara. Alex, really, is too serious, she doesn't have Sara's cavalier attitude, she rarely laughs and smiles, and while I love Chyler Leigh, and I've loved her since she played Lexie on Grey's, she doesn't have Caity Lotz' swagger and Joie de vivre.  You can't transplant the fun of "Legends" into "Supergirl". As I've said upthread, "Supergirl" has a casting problem, hence this whole shakeup.

• Love 1

I'm far from an expert on the subject of coming out but I know some gay people come out later in life. It's not hard for me to buy with Alex, who isn't even 30. We may have not seen any explicit indicators of her sexuality in season one but we didn't see anything that completely ruled out the possibility. I agree that Alex is quite different from Sara but I don't necessarily think the writers were trying to copy Legends. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Trini said:

I'm more interested in who the person in the mask at 22 seconds; is that Agent Liberty? I haven't been keeping track of all the casting.

I'm not sure about that character.  The actor at 0:17 is playing Agent Liberty the Supergirl with the face mask is presumably Kara's "Melissa is performing on Broadway" look. Other characters in the video:

Spoiler

The young woman at 0:11 is Nicole Maines as Nia Nal, aka Dreamer.  I'm not sure it's a responsible choice on Catco's part to have Kara mentor her as a reporter, given that Kara never showed up for work in Season 3, but there you go.

The woman in the white jacket in the car at 0:16 is Mercy Graves.

If not for that Instagram post, I would have said that Tulloch doesn’t fit the bill as Lois Lane. I’ve seen the 1st season of Grimm and she wasn’t very notable. She seems excited to play Lois.  Maybe she’ll rise to the part. Durance did.  It will be weird during Crossover to see both actresses who played Lois Lane on screen together. I know the show runner will find some reason to write Erica Durance into the storyline, just to equal the chills we felt when Helen Slater first appeared as Supergirl’s foster mother.

1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

If not for that Instagram post, I would have said that Tulloch doesn’t fit the bill as Lois Lane. I’ve seen the 1st season of Grimm and she wasn’t very notable. She seems excited to play Lois.  Maybe she’ll rise to the part. Durance did.  It will be weird during Crossover to see both actresses who played Lois Lane on screen together. I know the show runner will find some reason to write Erica Durance into the storyline, just to equal the chills we felt when Helen Slater first appeared as Supergirl’s foster mother.

Well, since Kara and Alura each now know where the other lives and can communicate with/visit each other whenever they feel like it, I would have no problem having Alura show up on Earth to help out during the crossover -- it's time Kal got re-acquainted with his aunt, after all -- or at least as a recurring character during the upcoming season.  I mean, sure, Kara's a grown woman now, but what's the point of re-connecting with the mother she thought she'd lost forever if she can't still at least call home every once in a while?

Melissa Benoist interview: https://www.broadwayworld.com/san-diego/article/BWW-Interview-Melissa-Benoist-Talks-about-Carole-King-Supergirl-and-her-Summer-on-Broadway-20181002

It's mostly about her recent Broadway role, but here's a quote about Supergirl:

This show has also allowed her to live out a childhood dream, to star on Broadway. Playing Carole eight times a week has also helped her approach her character of Kara with a renewed vigor and a new angle.

"I do think donning the cape will feel different in a great way, because of Carole's story; being true to who you are and that you are enough. In Supergirl I love to find empowering stories to tell through that."

While coming to Broadway was a childhood dream come true, Benoist says that it was a vastly different experience from filming television. "It's so different from television. Living out a story eight times a week is difficult and draining emotionally but very fulfilling. I will absolutely always be looking for more."

6 hours ago, Trini said:

Jesse Rath Interview:

I think it's a good thing that Jesse Rath is joining the cast, but I feel he's going to be sidelined just like Winn was.

Not if the show follows established comic-book canon and has Brainy hook up with Kara.  They were an off-again/on-again couple for quite a while during the Silver Age.

53 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Not if the show follows established comic-book canon and has Brainy hook up with Kara.  They were an off-again/on-again couple for quite a while during the Silver Age.

It could still happen even if he's a love interest (or especially if he's a love interest?). See: every love interest Kara has ever had on the show.

11 hours ago, Trini said:

It could still happen even if he's a love interest (or especially if he's a love interest?). See: every love interest Kara has ever had on the show.

Falling in love with Kara is nearly as bad as falling in love with Little Joe Cartwright.  At least, unlike those days on the Ponderosa, it doesn't tend to be fatal.

• Love 3

The CW and #SeeHer Announce New Partnership

Their partnership will include co-sponsoring the network’s fall launch event, as well as presenting the third annual #SeeHer Award at the Critics’ Choice Awards in January 2019.

The CW’s fall launch event is entitled “Powerful Programming, Powerful Women” and will be held Oct. 14 in Burbank, Calif. Variety‘s own executive TV editor Debra Birnbaum will moderate panel discussions with female showrunners and executive producers behind some of the network’s biggest shows, including Mara Brock Akil (“Black Lightning”), Nkechi Okoro Carroll (“All American”), Aline Brosh McKenna (“Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”), Julie Plec (“Legacies” and “Roswell, New Mexico”), Jessica Queller (“Supergirl”), Eugenie Ross-Leming (“Supernatural”), Sarah Schechter (“Arrow,” “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “The Flash,” “Riverdale,” “Supergirl”), Beth Schwartz (“Arrow”) and Keto Shimizu (“DC’s Legends of Tomorrow”), as well as the women behind Shethority, an online collective focused on amplifying women’s voices. The women of Shethority who will attend are Tala Ashe, Melissa Benoist, Juliana Harkavy, Caity Lotz, Nicole Maines, Danielle Panabaker, Candice Patton and Maisie Richardson-Sellers.

Later, the CW and #SeeHer will present the third annual #SeeHer Award at the Critics’ Choice ceremony Jan. 13, 2019, which airs on the network.

Also an interview with the EPs: 'Agent Liberty prepares for war in new Supergirl season 4 promo'

Speaking of Agent Liberty, what makes him such a new and formidable opponent for Kara?

ROVNER: I think because he preys on people’s fear — fear of what they don’t understand — and I think the movement that he’s creating is not something she can win in a battle. It’s not about punching him, because he’s just a human man. It’s about finding a way to combat what he’s doing — creating this division in our country and this fear among a good part of the population of what the aliens are doing to this country.
QUELLER: Another thing that makes him dangerous is that he’s a very powerful orator and he really is persuasive. Just as Supergirl can reach hearts and minds, he has the ability to reach a massive audience, and he’s smart enough to make a compelling argument, which is dangerous.
ROVNER: I think what the audience will find very compelling and frightening about him is that we spend most of an episode doing his origin story. So we understand him on a deeper level than we’ve understood our villains before and we feel the circumstances that turned him into such a powerful villain.

EW interview with Sam Witwer: 'Sam Witwer on his 'risky' Agent Liberty-centric episode'

Can you set up what we can expect from this Agent Liberty-centric flashback episode?

The episode is largely him. They kind of do Supergirl, but from the perspective of this character Ben Lockwood, who will later become Agent Liberty. The episode is kind of a retelling of previous notable events in previous seasons but we tell it through his perspective — what was happening to him professionally, what was happening to him personally, what was happening to his family — and really charts the course of taking a good man who believed very strongly in liberty for everyone, including aliens, down this path where life deals him a really bad hand over and over again. It takes you a point where he feels he should put on a mask and incite this Earth first movement.