Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E20: Hawai’i

• Start Topic

(edited)

This week: rich people ruin everything. Also, “Kamabla” shouldn’t be a thing, Rachel Campos-Duffy has a podcast, and John Kruk loves musing out loud during Phillies games.

Before I continue . . . “Hawai’i” is the correct spelling, right? I’m going by the graphic. Also, I don’t know if I need a special apostrophe.

Man, Hawaiians have been getting screwed for centuries. There’s not else to add except the ways they get screwed. White people basically taking over, rich people forcing people off their ancestral land, the military using said land for their purposes, etc. It’s infuriating, and I’m glad John and his show shined a light on that.

JD Vance . . ugh. At least John didn’t take a swing at him about couches.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 10

JD Vance . . ugh. At least John didn’t take a swing at him about couches.

That's our job.

Before I continue . . . “Hawai’i” is the correct spelling, right? I’m going by the graphic. Also, I don’t know if I need a special apostrophe.

I think it's Hawaii for the state itself, and Hawai'i for the actual island. But yeah, they have been screwed over, just as their counterparts have been on the mainland.

• Like 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Before I continue . . . “Hawai’i” is the correct spelling, right?

Hawaii is the english spelling and Hawaiʻi is the Hawaiian spelling. The thing that is often represented with an apostrophe is an ‘okina and it represents a glottal stop. 

Edited by Makai
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

I will never be a billionaire, let alone a millionaire, but I get so mad when people who have SO MUCH MONEY spend it on gigantic yachts and multiple huge mansions and estates and whatever else. Yes, many give to charities, but there's a problem with that too, like when they give millions to their university or specialized things, like that football player who gave money for a volleyball center because his daughter played volleyball. (Wasn't that it?) Anyway, instead native people are ignored, used, and robbed. 

It's all so disgusting.

I did love seeing that clip from Magnum PI -- "Nuns don't work on Sundays." Hilarious. And then having that tweet from the Pope in response. So good.

Loved the videos of Tim Walz and his daughter (who looks so much like that actress that was in the second season of White Lotus). Seems like a great family. 

Steven Cheung is a horrible person. Everything he says is offensive and meant to be offensive. 

I thought 'Kamabla' was meant to be like KamaBLAH. I never considered that the 'bla' might be a shortened version of 'black.' Oh, do you think they could mean part black? Like, not really black? Anyway, it's stupid and empty.

• Like 7

Strategy wise, I think Vance is going to be a liability over the summer. He doubled down this weekend on the child free issue, and he's got this whole no fault divorce issue now too. Not that the VP choice really makes a huge effect, but it can make a dent. 

• Like 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Strategy wise, I think Vance is going to be a liability over the summer. He doubled down this weekend on the child free issue, and he's got this whole no fault divorce issue now too. Not that the VP choice really makes a huge effect, but it can make a dent. 

Honestly, between his comments and mocking of "childless cat ladies", the utterly ridiculuous and mind-numbingly stupid "Tampon Tim" chant that people on the right have been using against Walz, virtually every single vile word Trump has ever uttered about women in general, and, of course, the draconian anti-abortion/anti-IVF legislation that they're trying to push through around the country...

...the GOP is REALLY just not even trying to hide how incredibly misogynistic they are. And the fact they're doubling down even harder on this kind of rhetoric now that a woman is running against Trump is sadly not surprising, but also a pretty insane move on their party. 'Cause I sure know that if I wanted to win an election, naturally the best and wisest strategy is to alienate half the population and send them voting in droves for the other candidate.

But yeah, if the GOP is still at all mystified as to why Kamala is getting such a surge of support and so many people at her rallies...maybe try looking at your sexist rhetoric, guys, you might just find your answer there!

Anywho, yeah, it's clear the GOP is freaking out and becoming increasingly desperate, and frankly? Good. They deserve it after everything they've done, and after continuing to hitch their wagons to a guy who continues to remain toxic not just to the country at large, but also to their party. Mind, that doesn't mean those voting for Harris should get complacent, 'cause, well...yeah. But still. I'm certainly not going to deny feeling some pleasure in watching the GOP squirm right now. 

As for the main story, I actually did know all that backstory about Queen Liliʻuokalani! Kudos to my school history book for going into some detail about that. I remember reading about that in school and even then I was shocked at how these people came in and just took over as they did, and that Hawai'i still wound up becoming a state after all of that. 

But yeah, John's comment about a British flag being a bad sign in these moments in history is certainly not wrong, but I'd also throw in the mention of plantations and settlers, 'cause anytime those two words have been uttered in connection with white settlers...yeah. You can be certain some fucked up stuff is afoot somewhere. 

When John Initially mentioned the horrific fires that devastated Maui last year, I thought the main story was going to be focusing on some of the stuff that led up to those. I saw an episode of a Discovery show called "In the Eye of the Storm" a few weeks back that focused on those fires, and there was a lot of footage from locals who witnessed the whole thing unfold, and man... Seeing the images in the news after those fires happened was horrifying enough, but seeing it unfold via those videos from the resisdents was absolutely gut wrenching.

And seeing that episode just makes what John did focus on here all the more infuriating and heartbreaking and makes me feel for the poor locals even more. The one guy talking about how they'd just barely started with thier funerals and already their governor thinks this is the time to reopen for tourism - he's absolutely right, that's insane. I know tourism is a big part of the state's economy, but...time and place, for cripes' sakes. 

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I will never be a billionaire, let alone a millionaire, but I get so mad when people who have SO MUCH MONEY spend it on gigantic yachts and multiple huge mansions and estates and whatever else. Yes, many give to charities, but there's a problem with that too, like when they give millions to their university or specialized things, like that football player who gave money for a volleyball center because his daughter played volleyball. (Wasn't that it?) Anyway, instead native people are ignored, used, and robbed. 

It's all so disgusting.

My thoughts exactly. I swear rich people do things like this simply because they think it's just what rich people in general are  SUPPOSED to do. What the fuck does anyone need to own an entire island for? Certainly can't be privacy in this case, 'cause the island they've bought still has people living on it, sometimes right near them besides*. 

But yeah, when people talk about how there is such a thing as having too much money, this is exactly the kind of ridiculous expense they're talking about. Nobody should have so much money that they can go and buy an entire freaking island just because they can. That's just stupid. 

*The poor woman who couldn't even go on the land she owned because Zuckerberg had a damn mantion there. That's absurd. And maddening. And also, given it's Zuckerberg we're talking about here, sadly not suprrising. Is there ever a story about him where he doesn't come off like a ginormous tool? 

I don't know how easy it would be to create such a thing, given that so much of these locals' land that they claim as theirs was passed down through the generations, or what all would be needed to enforce such a thing besides, but it would be great if there was some way to make some kind of legal documentation available for them to have on hand. That way the next time some rich asshole wants to build on their land, they can show them that and be like, "Nope, not happening." 

The stories about the military testing were wild, too, especially the kinds who found a freaking live grenade and the one military guy being like, "...yeah, we don't go in and clean up any of the stuff, we just leave it there." If I were one of the locals and heard that...he'd be lucky to not get punched in the face, let's put it that way. I like how the woman interviewing him seemed just as surprised by the fact they just leave all that stuff there. 

And yes, why would anyone think it's okay to take vocanic rocks? For god's sakes, just take a photo if you think it's that fascinating. If they wanted people to buy and take home that sort of thing, they would probably, y'know, have a place where visitors could do just that. If one doesn't exisit, then logic would dictate that tourists should just...leave it alone

Like, we really shouldn't have to tell grown adults this rather obvious fact. Don't take what's not yours. Period. 

Anywho, yeah, a fascinating and sad story all the way around. I am glad there are some groups trying to help ensure locals have more of a say in this stuff. Here's hoping the state government will start listening to them more as well. 

I did love seeing that clip from Magnum PI -- "Nuns don't work on Sundays." Hilarious. And then having that tweet from the Pope in response. So good.

That clip was amazing XD. John's not wrong, older TV shows could be pretty wild and bonkers in their own entertaining way!

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I feel like the VP pick can make a subconscious impact on voters. Like, This guy is really conservative, but his running mate is more moderate. Or, of course, this guy is from the coast but his running mate is from the midwest. A voter might not think it matters, but it can create an appearance of balance.

Which is why it was stupid to select Vance. There's no balance. They're the same.

Another reason why a VP pick can make a voter think again is if the Presidential candidate is old or showing mental decline, like... gee, I don't know. Anyway, knowing that the President will very possibly die or become incapacitated in office should make voters look more closely at the VP pick.

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Another reason why a VP pick can make a voter think again is if the Presidential candidate is old or showing mental decline, like... gee, I don't know. Anyway, knowing that the President will very possibly die or become incapacitated in office should make voters look more closely at the VP pick.

This was the biggest reason I found all the handwringing over Biden's age, even before the debate, so strange. It's like people completely forgot that if, god forbid, something were to happen to him, he would've had a competent, capable person to take over his duties, be it in office or on the campaign trail. People seemed to act like if something happened to Biden there'd be this void or something, and I was just sitting here like, "...you know the VP exists, right?" 

• Like 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I feel like the VP pick can make a subconscious impact on voters. Like, This guy is really conservative, but his running mate is more moderate. Or, of course, this guy is from the coast but his running mate is from the midwest. A voter might not think it matters, but it can create an appearance of balance.

Which is why it was stupid to select Vance. There's no balance. They're the same.

I have family that I’m not really close to, who are republicans.  Most of them didn’t trust Trump, but they did trust Pence. You’re right: the VP choice can make a difference.  I don’t know how they feel about Vance.  

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

This was the biggest reason I found all the handwringing over Biden's age, even before the debate, so strange. It's like people completely forgot that if, god forbid, something were to happen to him, he would've had a competent, capable person to take over his duties, be it in office or on the campaign trail. People seemed to act like if something happened to Biden there'd be this void or something, and I was just sitting here like, "...you know the VP exists, right?" 

Same.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 5

It was interesting the history of how Dole and other American business interests just took over the island.  Similar to United Fruit Company dominating some Central American nations and repressing the local workers.

First season of White Lotus alludes to it, how native Hawaiians feel their land was stolen from them.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Re the 14-year-old Australian skateboarding gold medallist getting a pet duck, Aussie cartoonist and national treasure First Dog on the Moon is way ahead of you, John. Behold this gorgeous cartoon published last Friday in the Guardian Australia.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Similar to United Fruit Company dominating some Central American nations and repressing the local workers.

For a real eye opener, google what Chiquita Brands (yes, the banana company) has been involved in in places like Colombia...

Aussie cartoonist and national treasure First Dog on the Moon

I love FDOTM.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, purist said:

Re the 14-year-old Australian skateboarding gold medallist getting a pet duck, Aussie cartoonist and national treasure First Dog on the Moon is way ahead of you, John. Behold this gorgeous cartoon published last Friday in the Guardian Australia.

That was great. Loved in the last panel that the gold medalist duck is biting the medal.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

This was the biggest reason I found all the handwringing over Biden's age, even before the debate, so strange.

I thought the handwringing (mine included) was about octogenarian JB running a lackluster and losing campaign, not his governing.

• Like 2

I didn't have any doubt that he'd continue to do a great job in a second term, but I was nervous that too many voters would view him as old and infirm and unable to do the job. Someone posted somewhere that it was better to have Biden slumped on his desk drooling than have Trump anyway near it again.

• Like 6

Re: VP choices, hasn't it always been said that the JFK team chose Johnson as running mate because it was the only way they'd get the Southern vote and win?

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I thought the handwringing (mine included) was about octogenarian JB running a lackluster and losing campaign, not his governing.

Yes, the concern about his age was in the context of his campaigning, but again, even then, people acted like if something happened to him we had no backup options or anything, when, well, clearly we did. That's the part that I found weird about all the freaking out. I can understand some of the other concerns of the sort you mention, but that's not how a lot of the freaking out came off. At least, not to me. 

5 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Re: VP choices, hasn't it always been said that the JFK team chose Johnson as running mate because it was the only way they'd get the Southern vote and win?

Incidentally, this hits on something else that I think explains some of the GOP's struggle to critique Walz. They've spent so long going on about how middle Americans can't possibly relate to or support the sorts of "radical liberal values' that the "coastal elites" champion. Setting aside all the other reasons that argument is blatant bullshit (I'm from middle America, born and raised, and I'm about as progressive as it gets), in this case, they can't use that against Walz because...well...he's FROM middle America. Smack dab in THE middle of "middle America", at that, having been born in Nebraska. And he supports all those very values that they've insisted for so long those of us who live here can't possibly relate to or support., and what's more, he's also a white, middle aged man who supports this stuff, instead of part of one of the various minority groups that are too "woke" for them, and supposedly for your average white middle Americans in general. 

So now they're kind of left fumbling trying to figure out other ways to make him sound scary to their base, and there's just...really nothing there to grab on to. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

So now they're kind of left fumbling trying to figure out other ways to make him sound scary to their base, and there's just...really nothing there to grab on to. 

Free tampons! Free school meals! Run for the hills! /s

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

Again, just in terms of strategy, they're trying to smear Walz' military record like they did with Kerry *20 years ago* because it's the same guy doing the strategy. I don't know if that's going to get much traction for people who actually remember, and I don't think younger people are actually going to care. There's just been no traction. 

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Again, just in terms of strategy, they're trying to smear Walz' military record like they did with Kerry *20 years ago* because it's the same guy doing the strategy. I don't know if that's going to get much traction for people who actually remember, and I don't think younger people are actually going to care. There's just been no traction. 

I saw something the other day saying that it probably won't get much traction because Kerry being a veteran was much more integral to his campaign identity.  Walz has gone with more of an everyman, Coach Walz campaign identity rather than leaning heavily on his military service.

• Like 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, Lugal said:

I saw something the other day saying that it probably won't get much traction because Kerry being a veteran was much more integral to his campaign identity.  Walz has gone with more of an everyman, Coach Walz campaign identity rather than leaning heavily on his military service.

I read that, too. I also read a supportive article in military.com. 

The attacks are ridiculous. He enlisted when he was 17. He served 14 24 years. He suffered hearing loss from artillery training. He was 41 when he retired from the National Guard to run for Congress to do good there. He didn't retire to become a venture capitalist or to join a white-shoe law firm or anything else to earn tons of money. He's simply a good guy. 

Edited by peeayebee
mistyped 14 instead of 24
  • Like 12
5 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

What I would have given to have free period hygiene products when I was in ELEMENTARY, middle and high school!

3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The criticism coming from a former president who dodged the draft is what gets me.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

The attacks are ridiculous. He enlisted when he was 17. He served 14 years.

Not even 14 years.  24!  He could have retired 4 years earlier than he did which is why this got out early crap is ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Again, just in terms of strategy, they're trying to smear Walz' military record like they did with Kerry *20 years ago*

They did it with McCain too when they didn't like McCain not falling in line. In fact, it's insane how often attacking someone's service is a primary talking point for people they don't like.  Purple heart recipients.   POWs.  Generals.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

What I would have given to have free period hygiene products when I was in ELEMENTARY, middle and high school!

And more than about 2 minutes between classes, to attend to those issues!

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
7 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I saw that the former host of the apprentice, called him a radical leftist, last week, and I *laughed*. yeah, he's absolutely terrifying. 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The criticism coming from a former president who dodged the draft is what gets me.

I was gonna say, yeah, does the party who supports Mr. Bone Spurs REALLY want to try going there with going after someone else's military service? 

9 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Yeah, younger people in general don't seem to be very big on the military in general, no matter what. It's pretty low on the list of things that are important to them, if it's even on the list at all. 

Plus, Kerry was running just a few short years after 9/11, when the country was nvolved in Afghanistan and Iraq and a lot more gung-ho about things relating to the military. The whole "support our troops!" rallying cry, and all that. So of course it was going to be a bigger deal then as a result.

But now, after the way those wars ended, and the fact that our country is lending support to other countries that are currently involved in wars, and so on...I think most Americans are just worn out by anything relating to war and the military as a whole. 

10 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

It's absolutely mind-boggling that they think free access to tampons is somehow a bad thing. They want women to be baby machines, but will do nothing to support anything to help us in relation to any of that, up to and including making our time of the month easier and more comfortable. No, t should be a secret thing that we don't talk about or get any sort of help for, apparently. 

(And the fact they're freaking out about boys' restrooms possibly having that stuff is even more laughable, 'cause alongsside the very obvious transphobic element going on there, I mean...men sure have no problem butting into our business as it is when it comes to anything relating to our reproductive choices. But boys having access to tampons, and being aware of what they are and what they do, and being able to use that easy acces to help get those products for friends or girlfriends who might need them is where they want to suddenly draw the line? 

Course, it also makes sense they'd be bothered by that, because the more boys better understand what all happens during that time of the month, and the more they realize the issues and struggles that can come with that, the more sympathetic they'll be, and thus the less likely they'll be to support any policies that would put extreme restrictions on, and make things significantly harder for, people when it comes to controlling their reproductive choices.)

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
9 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Last week it was 'stolen valor' and this week, Trump is saying that public service (including military) isn't a 'real job.'

Nothing they try is landing. Good.

• Like 9
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I was gonna say, yeah, does the party who supports Mr. Bone Spurs REALLY want to try going there with going after someone else's military service? 

Yeah, younger people in general don't seem to be very big on the military in general, no matter what. It's pretty low on the list of things that are important to them, if it's even on the list at all. 

Plus, Kerry was running just a few short years after 9/11, when the country was nvolved in Afghanistan and Iraq and a lot more gung-ho about things relating to the military. The whole "support our troops!" rallying cry, and all that. So of course it was going to be a bigger deal then as a result.

But now, after the way those wars ended, and the fact that our country is lending support to other countries that are currently involved in wars, and so on...I think most Americans are just worn out by anything relating to war and the military as a whole. 

It's absolutely mind-boggling that they think free access to tampons is somehow a bad thing. They want women to be baby machines, but will do nothing to support anything to help us in relation to any of that, up to and including making our time of the month easier and more comfortable. No, t should be a secret thing that we don't talk about or get any sort of help for, apparently. 

(And the fact they're freaking out about boys' restrooms possibly having that stuff is even more laughable, 'cause alongsside the very obvious transphobic element going on there, I mean...men sure have no problem butting into our business as it is when it comes to anything relating to our reproductive choices. But boys having access to tampons, and being aware of what they are and what they do, and being able to use that easy acces to help get those products for friends or girlfriends who might need them is where they want to suddenly draw the line? 

Course, it also makes sense they'd be bothered by that, because the more boys better understand what all happens during that time of the month, and the more they realize the issues and struggles that can come with that, the more sympathetic they'll be, and thus the less likely they'll be to support any policies that would put extreme restrictions on, and make things significantly harder for, people when it comes to controlling their reproductive choices.)

Also: if those boys grow up to have long-term relationships/marriages with women (or anyone who menstruates), they will probably be buying tampons or pads for them, at some point.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 6
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Not even 14 years.  24! 

Oops. Don't know why I typed 14. Thx for pointing that out.

28 minutes ago, TakomaSnark said:

Last week it was 'stolen valor' and this week, Trump is saying that public service (including military) isn't a 'real job.'

Did he really? I hadn't heard. His mouth certainly does him no favors.

• Like 6

Also: if those boys grow up to have long-term relationships/marriages with women (or anyone who menstruates), they will probably be buying tampons or pads for them, at some point.  

Not to mention, as all the memes on social media remind us about guys who have sisters grow up sharing bathrooms with them, and everything that comes along with that, and they all turned out all right.

• Like 6

Nothing they try is landing. Good.

Different show, but still pretty funny.

"I just feel sorry for the people of Milwaukee, Minnesota."- Laura Ingraham.

• LOL 3

I love Hawaii, especially Maui and Lahaina. I always said if I won the lotto I'd move to Maui. But yeah it's always been screwed over by business and now billionaires. No one needs to own an island. No one needs a compound with two mansions or whatever. There definitely needs to be something done to protect the land for the actual people who live there. It's great that Oprah gave her password immediately, but should people really have to do that. 

Yeah let's keep trying to trash Walz military record and ignore that Trump not only never served but got five deterents to avoid going to Vietnam. Put down POWs.

I really like Walz response to that by not trashing Vance's military experience and thanked him for his service. 

Sometimes VP matters and sometimes it doesn't. No one cared who FDR's VPs were. Most people didn't even know who Truman was. Sarah Palin was a huge mistake. Vance is a mistake. He keeps making things worse. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

My original point there was that I don't think scrutinizing military service as a political strategy works anymore. I don't know if it worked with Kerry. Reaching back for it is just a poor decision. 

• Like 4
On 8/13/2024 at 4:53 PM, Annber03 said:

Now they've latched onto white guy tacos! 🤣

• LOL 6
21 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My stepdad is a Vietnam War combat veteran who voted for Trump. I don't get it at all.

I really don't either. My dad who's also a Vietnam vet didn't want him nominated because Trump got out of having to fight in the war and refused to vote for him.  The crap Trump said about POWs and those killed in battle only made it more certain. 

• Like 3

One could also ask the same of women, poc, and queer people who support Trump. At the end of the day, they don't care what he says, he is just an instrument that they know will enact polities and laws they want to see made reality.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
(edited)

They say what is being reported as him saying is, it's not true, he was joking, it was taken out of context, he was being sarcastic, it's fake news, it's just AI.  Delete as applicable.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Palimelon said:

One could also ask the same of women, poc, and queer people who support Trump. At the end of the day, they don't care what he says, he is just an instrument that they know will enact polities and laws they want to see made reality.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing. 

• Like 5