Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Fear of the Other

• Start Topic

Evil4x12.jpg.9abeaddc3c54829c9477d8567871a8a6.jpg

Leland's trial starts, and the team works a case tied to Sister Andrea.

Sister Andrea gives the team their last assessment, a man who believes his doppelganger has possessed him and has a personal connection to the nun. The three also look for new jobs, and David receives even more bad news. Dr. Boggs faces a tough decision as Leland’s trial begins, and the court turns out to have even more treachery afoot.

Premiere Date: August 8, 2024      Paramount+   

• Like 2

I have really enjoyed the last two episodes. Seeing how our team will approach their future, while poking Paramount Plus for their boneheaded decision to cancel this extremely popular show. 

Selling the "air rights"?  As in somebody is going to pay for the right to air the show?   I really wish Netflix would just sit down with the Kings and hammer out a deal to keep making the show.  They have more cash now with their ad based program level. Costs me less but they are making money from advertisers. So don't tell me you can't afford to pick up Evil. 

Loved Kristen's doppelganger, ie Katja in a wig singing in her native Dutch. David as a gym rat and once again fulfilling Kristen's fantasies. 

Who keeps offering Ben more money? What is he afraid of? 

• Like 11
(edited)

I think last week's ep was burdened with re-arranging the gameboard for the final few weeks, and felt rushed. I had no such feeling with this one, which felt like a more typical "Evil" ep.

I didn't see the judge beheading the witness coming, although I probably should have. Why is it some see the demon lawyer, and others do not?

Any week that features Sister Andrea is usually a good sign. I must have missed it somewhere that the love she left for the church took his own life. That's a hell of a burden to carry. 

I liked the last scene of Andrea assuring David of God's presence by playing the Holy Chord, and the both of them disappearing into the light.  Everyone's life is seemingly falling apart, except for Ben, who is surprisingly skittish of financial success.

I liked the doppelganger versions of the gang, complete with Katja signing in her native Dutch;  Each one seemed to see something in the other that made them think they "other" was much happier than them. Well, David's was only seen by Kristen, who certainly made her happy in her dreams.....

Edited by StarBrand
thou must not repeat thyself
  • Like 6
(edited)

Oh, man, I was hoping the judge was really a good guy. I’m glad I’d finished eating my sandwich, before he did that.  

I know that they hit Sister Andrea, where it hurt, but she should know that demons can appear as anyone.  Kristen isn’t in hell, but one appears as her to David.  Okay, not I’m watching the exorcism, and she’s okay.  

so, the church would rather shut down five churches, leave the priests, nuns, and parishioners without a home (spiritual one, at least), and take money to cover all of the lawsuits. 

Did Andy run off with that $80,000? 
affogato is a coffee? 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 4
(edited)

Affogato is espresso over ice cream.

image.jpeg.38364e560d2dbb6a8a3a4900243006ed.jpeg

We did know her old boyfriend had committed suicide. Paul/Gregory looks a but like Leland. Mite weasley around the edges. at first I wondered if that was meaningful. I doubt it.

kristen is like the wrath of God. Wonder she hasn’t killed more people.  On the subway.  In the DMV. 

i think Ben’s job is too good to be true, like David’s promotion, and the money Kristen was supposed to get. It is meant to demoralize.  The dopplegangers as well.  They all were either temptations or sadness. Paul for sister Andrea, a chance to help her old love’s son, and then seeing his life torn apart. 

The girls doing the kickstarter — amazing work. I’d say someone should harness that energy, but Leland tried  they are a wildcard. Meanwhile, Kristen realizing she could have a private practice  Boggs when the train goes overhead. So many good moments.   

The judge turning, sad and surprising and remarkably brutal.  He had backed up Boggs and Kristen. That is some leverage. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, Anela said:

Oh, man, I was hoping the judge was really a good guy. I’m glad I’d finished eating my sandwich, before he did that.  

I know that they hit Sister Andrea, where it hurt, but she should know that demons can appear as anyone.  Kristen isn’t in hell, but one appears as her to David.  Okay, not I’m watching the exorcism, and she’s okay.  

so, the church would rather shut down five churches, leave the priests, nuns, and parishioners without a home (spiritual one, at least), and take money to cover all of the lawsuits. 

Did Andy run off with that $80,000? 
affogato is a coffee? 

I think all this was a slam on Paramount Plus. 

They are in a financial freefall, but they keep throwing money at Taylor Sheridan. Now he has a new show coming out next year called "Madison", starring Michelle Pfeiffer as a woman who loses her husband and brother in law in a plane crash or something and she moves to Montana, as one would do. 

At some point people are going to get tired of Sheridan's schtick. 

I know the chord was supposed to be the Holy Chord or whatever Sister Andrea plays on the piano, but I thought it was a little play on the Netflix opening. 

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, Affogato said:

I thought of you, as soon as I heard them say your name.  :) 

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Affogato said:

We did know her old boyfriend had committed suicide. Paul/Gregory looks a but like Leland. Mite weasley around the edges. at first I wondered if that was meaningful. I doubt it.

kristen is like the wrath of God. Wonder she hasn’t killed more people.  On the subway.  In the DMV. 

i think Ben’s job is too good to be true, like David’s promotion, and the money Kristen was supposed to get. It is meant to demoralize.  The dopplegangers as well.  They all were either temptations or sadness. Paul for sister Andrea, a chance to help her old love’s son, and then seeing his life torn apart. 

The girls doing the kickstarter — amazing work. I’d say someone should harness that energy, but Leland tried  they are a wildcard. Meanwhile, Kristen realizing she could have a private practice  Boggs when the train goes overhead. So many good moments.   

The judge turning, sad and surprising and remarkably brutal.  He had backed up Boggs and Kristen. That is some leverage. 

I agree about Ben's offers... there has to be a catch. 

The money from Edward was something that Sheryl got for Kristen; it's no surprise that it disappeared.

David and Sister Andrea remain in the light.

Boggs changed his testimony; he may die before it's over.

Kristen was allowed to say whatever she wanted against Leland. How interesting. 

Again... I think the painting is of her.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

I agree about Ben's offers... there has to be a catch. 

The money from Edward was something that Sheryl got for Kristen; it's no surprise that it disappeared.

David and Sister Andrea remain in the light.

Boggs changed his testimony; he may die before it's over.

Kristen was allowed to say whatever she wanted against Leland. How interesting. 

Again... I think the painting is of her.

I think it is possible the four of them will go into business together, fighting evil. 

• Like 4

The demons win again. It feels like all the courtroom scenes are a complete waste of time based on this outcome. 😣

Leslie getting beheaded by the corrupt judge is an obvious deus ex machina. Leslie is an inmate, where are the guards who supposed to watch her?

Leland saying “you will never see me again” to Kristen is obviously a threat. Get that pick axe on standby, Kristen.

CongoRun wants to buy the church for 45 millions and Captain Jim Brass is one of the greedy Archdiocesan Fathers. Heartless. Has the Archdiocese been infiltrated by The 60?

Kristen using David’s doppelgänger for her own fantasy is intoxicating yet creative. A pleasure without guilt. And David has Demon Kristen!  Doppel Kristen is a Dutch, like Katja.

EVIL continues to trash Andy’s character with the settlement fiasco. We know there’s no settlement because Andy wasn’t on Everest as he’s supposed to be. He was kept in Leland’s back room against his will. Who provides that settlement info to Kristen’s lawyer? It’s quite frustrating that Kristen doesn’t address the content of Sheryl’s USB in this episode.

“We make money through our talents, through what we can…”

“You’re still gonna sell your feet, right? On OnlyFans?”

The best response from Lila! 😂😂😂

It’s good that both Kristen and Ben have made a plan to move forward. But Ben’s multiple job offers feel sketchy. All orchestrated by The 60? What about David? Is he going to continue working on all those pending cases?

“I’m tired of this Scooby Doo sh!t.”

😆😆😆

Is Sister Andrea still alive after that shovel whack? Who’s the entity that we see in the piano scene — is it a ghost Sister Andrea? Is the glowing light part of David’s remote vision?

Two episodes left and I hope both will focus on the 3 leads. 🤞🏻

• Like 5
41 minutes ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

😆😆😆

Is Sister Andrea still alive after that shovel whack? Who’s the entity that we see in the piano scene — is it a ghost Sister Andrea? Is the glowing light part of David’s remote vision?

Two episodes left and I hope both will focus on the 3 leads. 🤞🏻

It hadn’t occurred to me. Sister Andrea could be dead. That makes the ending make sense and it sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
8 minutes ago, Affogato said:

It hadn’t occurred to me. Sister Andrea could be dead. That makes the ending make sense and it sucks. 

I don't think she's dead. I think it just shook her up, a lot, to the point where she was questioning everything she believed in. 

• Like 4

Andrea Martin deserves all the awards for her work on this show. She's just fantastic.

I saw those swords on the wall in the judge's chambers and yelled "IRA! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Then she gets dumped into the trash a floor or two down from his chambers? Not suspicious at all.

Ben is being set-up for something. Why would any employer make an offer of 50% more to someone who doesn't seem like he wants to work for you? 

So the billionaire dude, who Sheryl was supposed to replace, is still alive? Or is someone representing him in these offers? Andy took $0.10 on the $1? Another set-up, IMHO.

Katja singing in Dutch was so dadgum charming. We've heard Assif and Katja sing. Can Mike be next? 

Two more episodes left. As much as I dislike Netflix, I hope they pick this up.

• Like 8

The trial really did seem to be going in the right direction right up until the judge did…that. Was he corrupt all along or was he persuaded by the demon lawyer, I wonder? And Boggs might be in danger after recommending that Leland be placed in a maximum security psych facility. 

Ben’s offer of a high paying job seems too good to be true. I hope Kristen’s plan to open her own practice actually works out. Not sure I’d be asking Boggs for clients, though.

David was right about his promotion being a farce. They were always planning to close the church.

Love that Kristen’s doppelgänger is Dutch and that she got to sing. 

Two episodes left. This show always surprises me, so it’s hard to even guess what’ll happen.

• Like 4
(edited)

Wow, this is the second supernatural-based show I've seen this year that had that number at the end of an episode (the other being "Ghosts" - and the episode of that show that featured the number at the end was similarly excellent).

2 hours ago, WAnglais1 said:

Andrea Martin deserves all the awards for her work on this show. She's just fantastic.

That entire scene with Sister Andrea talking to the child version of Paul, who was wanting to know why his dad left him, actually made me freaking cry. "No one wants us to follow them into death" is a hell of a line. Her scene with David in the confessional was beautiful and touching, too. She broke my damn heart this episode and I just want to give her a big hug. I'm not even Catholic, but man, if I ever were facing a crisis of deep stress/pain, I would absolutely go to her and David for guidance. They just know how to make you feel like things are going to be okay, or at least, that you can withstand whatever craziness is coming your way. 

I really liked this whole case in general. I liked how it started off super creepy - this episode did NOT help ease my fear of long, empty hallways and I absolutely flinched at that opening scene with Sister Andrea sitting in the hall by herself. Very Shining-esque - and then wound up becoming surprisingly touching and moving and hopeful. I too enjoyed the scene of getting to see Katja with the guitar, singing in her native tongue. That was really cute. And I'm glad Kristen got to see that as well. 

Ben's video that he got was moving, too, even if the guy didn't look all that much like him. I want to hope for good things with his job offer, but yeah, I'm with you guys in being on guard about it. I do think that video's given him an idea of something he really longs for, though, more than financial stability. 

(That said, Ben, please don't tempt fate by ignoring your mom's warning about seeng your double and joking about meeting her in heaven.)

I laughed so much at the girls' attempts to try and raise money this episode, and the whole OnlyFans thing XD. Kristen's reaaction to them knowing what OnlyFans is made it that much funnier. I also laughed at them being like, "...are we still in trouble?" when Kristen left halfway through scolding them about the GoFundMe thing. I'm gonna miss those goofballs. 

12 hours ago, StarBrand said:

I didn't see the judge beheading the witness coming, although I probably should have. Why is it some see the demon lawyer, and others do not?

Neither did I! I was stretching my arms at that moment and actually froze in shock :p. LIke, "...did that...just happen? Are we imagining this? Surely he's just fantasizing about doing that, right?" 

(Side note, it's a real kick to see Richard Kind on here. I still remember him as Mark on "Mad About You" :p. He seems like such a gentle, friendly guy whenever I've seen him pop up elsewhere, so that makes his character's actons here all the more jarring!)

But ooooooooh, man, of course everyone is in on the scheme to let Leland go free. Damn. 

3 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Leland saying “you will never see me again” to Kristen is obviously a threat. Get that pick axe on standby, Kristen.

Right? And he specifically said she wouldn't see him again. He never said anything about her never hearing from him again. 

9 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I think all this was a slam on Paramount Plus. 

They are in a financial freefall, but they keep throwing money at Taylor Sheridan. Now he has a new show coming out next year called "Madison", starring Michelle Pfeiffer as a woman who loses her husband and brother in law in a plane crash or something and she moves to Montana, as one would do. 

At some point people are going to get tired of Sheridan's schtick. 

If that is indeed an intentional swipe at Paramount, then I fully endorse and support them using these final episodes to just dunk on them :D. I mean, what can the site do to them at this point, really? 

But agh, yeah, the more the team talks about the end of their workng together and finding other work, the sadder I get. I love Kristen wanting to open her own practice (LOL at Ben saying he'd send his "fucked up science buddies" to her :p), and I'm all for them each finding something else that gives them some stability in that regard, but...I don't want them to break up the team! Maybe they'll ultimately start a new venture together, just the three of them? Their own assessment organization or something? That'd be cool. 

Whatever happens with them, though, so long as they stay in each other's lives in some form or another, I'm good. 

But man, yeah, poor David. Not only is he losing his team and his work with investigating these cases, but he's also put in so much time and effortt anad training to achieve his dream of becoming a priest...and this is the thanks he gets for it. Ugh. "Black bluff" indeed. 

On the one hand, I can't wait to see what they've got planned for these final two episodes, on the other...I'm so not ready to say goodbye. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

That entire scene with Sister Andrea talking to the child version of Paul, who was wanting to know why his dad left him, actually made me freaking cry. "No one wants us to follow them into death" is a hell of a line. Her scene with David in the confessional was beautiful and touching, too. She broke my damn heart this episode and I just want to give her a big hug. I'm not even Catholic, but man, if I ever were facing a crisis of deep stress/pain, I would absolutely go to her and David for guidance. They just know how to make you feel like things are going to be okay, or at least, that you can withstand whatever craziness is coming your way. 

I feel the same way. 

I'm feeling sad that we only have two episodes left. I let Paramount know that I had only kept the app for this show (because that's the truth). 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
16 hours ago, SeanBug said:

Loved Kristen's doppelganger, ie Katja in a wig singing in her native Dutch. David as a gym rat and once again fulfilling Kristen's fantasies. 

Yes. I loved this scene. 

11 hours ago, Affogato said:

Didn't Kristen have a part-time private practice at the beginning of the series, before she started working for the Church full time? She used to see clients in the garage. It was weird that she was discussing it with Boggs like it was a brand-new idea.

4 hours ago, WAnglais1 said:

Andrea Martin deserves all the awards for her work on this show. She's just fantastic...

Two more episodes left. As much as I dislike Netflix, I hope they pick this up.

Agree with both of these points! Except I still like Netflix. 

• Like 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Anela said:

I don't think she's dead. I think it just shook her up, a lot, to the point where she was questioning everything she believed in. 

That was my initial impression, but you made me wonder. 

i think the next episode wraps up the trial. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 4
(edited)

I think it would be hard to renew this show, at this point. So many things are different, ot will be different. This four hour movie will likely wrap up Leland and Boggs, Sheryl is dead, the church is gone, and so on. I am sad. I came to this show late, but it rapidly has become the show I like most. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 4

I know it is a show about demons, but the whole trial thingy was completely unrealistic, even worse than the current Law and Order court scenes.
How could they let Leland free with all this evidence against him? And how Leslie just disappeared after she left the room with the Judge? This is ridiculous.

Sister Andrea needs her own spin off. Or at least a crossover guest appearance in "Elsbeth". 

I really wanted the evil lawyer to be David Lee from the Good universe! I would make so much sense. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
36 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

I know it is a show about demons, but the whole trial thingy was completely unrealistic, even worse than the current Law and Order court scenes.
How could they let Leland free with all this evidence against him? And how Leslie just disappeared after she left the room with the Judge? This is ridiculous.

Sister Andrea needs her own spin off. Or at least a crossover guest appearance in "Elsbeth". 

I really wanted the evil lawyer to be David Lee from the Good universe! I would make so much sense. 

The ‘insanity plea’ isn’t catch and release, either. People generally are incarcerated, but treated, as Boggs suggested. 

• Like 4
On 8/8/2024 at 8:35 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

But Ben’s multiple job offers feel sketchy. All orchestrated by The 60?

I had the same thought!

This show just gets better every week. I will be so sad when it's over.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
On 8/8/2024 at 5:35 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

We know there’s no settlement because Andy wasn’t on Everest as he’s supposed to be. He was kept in Leland’s back room against his will. Who provides that settlement info to Kristen’s lawyer? It’s quite frustrating that Kristen doesn’t address the content of Sheryl’s USB in this episode.

See, I even FORGOT about that when watching, and now I'm just more annoyed! It's just Kristen pissed at him for another thing she could've found the truth for but was too stubborn to!

(While I'm speaking of things I'm annoyed at her for: she's so perceptive to little pauses and looks all the time, yet she didn't seem to notice Kurt and Leslie looking freaked out when they look in Leland's/the lawyer's direction? Sigh. ;P

But also: NOOO, LESLIE! I liked her! Even though it kinda seemed like she was back on Leland's side for a minute there. She was cute and clearly actually loved Timothy, too! Dammit, Richard Kind.

The OnlyFans thing was HILARIOUS. I also caught Lilah saying she lies all the time as they were walking out. No wonder Lynn wants to be a nun when surrounded by all this chaos ;)

Nate Corddry was Paul! I naturally had to immediately wonder if he and Aasif ever overlapped at The Daily Show; probably not because Nate wasn't on very often, and I don't think Aasif was there when Rob was... 

Anyway.

I feel so bad for David. :( But also please don't leave the priesthood over this, David. Sister Angela's right about you!!

• Like 3

I thought the last two episodes were a little scattered for me. I still want to see Kristen acknowledge that Andy was tortured and brainwashed by Leland and Cheryl. I also wish Kristen’s story was about more than lusting after David. I did like the secret chord scene with Sister A and David but thought Angela’s story was cut short and I thought she was dead because the nun wielding the shovel was not our Sister Andrea.

The doppelgänger story was fun but didn’t tell me anything interesting about our trio. The court case just made me wonder why no one noticed Leslie went into the judge’s chambers and never came out. And I know the answer will be the trial isn’t supposed to make any sense but then why have it all?

• Like 8
(edited)
On 8/9/2024 at 2:23 AM, topanga said:

Didn't Kristen have a part-time private practice at the beginning of the series, before she started working for the Church full time? She used to see clients in the garage. It was weird that she was discussing it with Boggs like it was a brand-new idea.

Did she? I thought the garage was the office for their climbing business, which she maybe worked at part time? I’ve forgotten so much about the first season. I really need a rewatch. I’ll probably start it after the finale when I go through withdrawal.  

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, ferjy said:

Did she? I thought the garage was the office for their climbing business, which she maybe worked at part time? I’ve forgotten so much about the first season. I really need a rewatch. I’ll probably start it after the finale when I go through withdrawal.  

It started with her questioning a serial killer, so I think she worked for someone.  The district attorney, maybe. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Anela said:

It started with her questioning a serial killer, so I think she worked for someone.  The district attorney, maybe. 

Yes. She still could have had a private clientele. I don’t remember it. 

• Like 2

The thing about air rights is based in reality. Lots of non-profits sell their air rights to developers. Usually the developers take the air rights and build somehere else.

However, the church has been selling underperforming parishes a LOT. (This was also a plotline in the sadly gone East New York).

The Church needs the money for all the lawsuits, and since there are so few priests left, they are consolidating parishes.

I cannot predict what will happen in the next 2 episodes, but the foreshadowing leads us to believe that Boggs will die.

I can't believe they will let Leland live, but I have no clue as to who will kill him.

I also predict that David and Kristen will NOT end up together.

So you can all mock me in 2 weeks! ;-)

• Like 3
(edited)
On 8/14/2024 at 11:11 AM, kwnyc said:

The thing about air rights is based in reality. Lots of non-profits sell their air rights to developers. Usually the developers take the air rights and build somehere else.

However, the church has been selling underperforming parishes a LOT. (This was also a plotline in the sadly gone East New York).

The Church needs the money for all the lawsuits, and since there are so few priests left, they are consolidating parishes.

I cannot predict what will happen in the next 2 episodes, but the foreshadowing leads us to believe that Boggs will die.

I can't believe they will let Leland live, but I have no clue as to who will kill him.

I also predict that David and Kristen will NOT end up together.

So you can all mock me in 2 weeks! ;-)

Ben is the one that deserves her. David is the crush who is not really the right one; she realizes it in the end... or should.

Edited by Castiels Cat
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Castiels Cat said:

Ben is the one that deserves her. David is the crush who is not really the right one; she realizes it in the end... or should.

I would rather they just continued working together. 

• Like 4
On 8/9/2024 at 11:59 AM, Zaffy said:

Agreed!  I also noticed that Leland was released from the witness stand without being cross-examined by the prosecutor.  That's the whole reason defendants usually choose to stay off it in the first place.  Are we supposed to believe that the prosecutor had no questions for him?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1