Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E18: The West Bank Settlements

• Start Topic

(edited)

John's implicit antisemitism has long been known, but the lack of understanding and use of half-truths and deliberate omissions, such as WHY there was a six-day war (the public chortling by the Arabs over the genocide to come), or the fact that the first ten years of the occupation were due to the fact that the Arabs demanded it continue, or that Arafat backed out of a two-state solution before starting a war of aggression known as the second intifada and so on and so forth.

I'm pretty sure that the official title here is incorrect, but it is accurate.

Edited by Notwisconsin
spelling
  • Like 3

John  is definitely not antisemitic.

Israel from the beginning never wanted a two state solution. But I suppose it is easier to blame the occupiers instead of the occupied.

• Like 10
17 minutes ago, Palimelon said:

Israel from the beginning never wanted a two state solution. But I suppose it is easier to blame the occupiers instead of the occupied.

They still omitted ALL the important parts.

• Like 1

John and his writers were on fire during the opening segment, especially the part about JD Vance. Zinger after zinger after zinger! I laughed out loud several times. Bravo.

• Like 8
37 minutes ago, purist said:

John and his writers were on fire during the opening segment, especially the part about JD Vance. Zinger after zinger after zinger! I laughed out loud several times. Bravo.

They should have stuck with that for the whole episode.

• Like 1

"The reason you find coins in the couch cushions is because JD always leaves a tip." 😆

And I loved John saying that you don't need kids to care about your fellow human beings. Vance's statement about people who don't have biological children being unworthy of voting was bad enough, as was the implication that women must have children to be valuable. But I also couldn't help but think of people, mostly republicans I think, who are against something like gay rights until their own child comes out as gay. They are incapable of empathy until it's on their doorstep.

Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear Trump screaming to Eric and Junior about forcing him to take Vance as his running mate. And now he's stuck with him. 😂

The Middle East situation is so frustrating. I don't see any way that either side will offer concessions; therefore, the violence and hatred will continue until the world ends.

• Like 10
1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

And I loved John saying that you don't need kids to care about your fellow human beings. Vance's statement about people who don't have biological children being unworthy of voting was bad enough, as was the implication that women must have children to be valuable. But I also couldn't help but think of people, mostly republicans I think, who are against something like gay rights until their own child comes out as gay. They are incapable of empathy until it's on their doorstep.

I think you're giving them way too much credit there, a lot (most?) will disown their own children rather than show any empathy towards the gay community.

• Like 8

Seriously, the media needs to cover 'brat'? Because that's the pressing issue of the day with Biden stepping aside. And going bonkers over *straws* underscores everything that's wrong. I can't even remember the last time I used a straw. 

• Like 3

It's very rare that I use a straw, but I must agree that paper straws are yucky. However, I'm not going to base my vote on the straw platform. Heh, as Ron Filipkowski said, They're literally grasping at straws!

• Like 6
17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It's very rare that I use a straw, but I must agree that paper straws are yucky. However, I'm not going to base my vote on the straw platform. Heh, as Ron Filipkowski said, They're literally grasping at straws!

It's a bit misleading anyway as they were talking about single use plastic straws & not every plastic straw, but what else do we expect from them when they don't have answers to actual real problems, I guess we could say that they're clutching at straws. 

And yes paper straws are not good but I have no doubt they could be made much better if the straw manufacturers could be bothered to put any effort into it.

• Like 9

Just an FYI for those who don't know and actually want to know, the name of this episode is actually S11 E18: The West Bank Settlements.

• Thanks 4
  • Applause 1

I have always been a huge John Oliver fan, but his decidedly lack of sympathy over the Israeli hostages is troubling. While I applaud his right to report on all aspects of the Middle East, I can't help but feel that there is a touch of glee in his reporting. To me, it comes across as purposeful, if not overtly antisemitic.  Opinions will clearly vary, but it makes me question if I want to continue watching his show - and I LOVE this show. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

By that same logic, anyone displaying a lack of sympathy over the thousands of Palestinian hostages being held by Israel in detention centers without charges could be accused of being racist towards Arabs...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
(edited)

I'm glad HBO has John Oliver to counteract Bill Maher (whether that was his intention or not.) 

Okay, I see the title of this thread was changed. Thanks, that last title was embrassing.

Speaking of embarrassment -- those news people trying to speak French? Merde! 🤮

Edited by arachne
  • Like 10
(edited)
11 hours ago, purist said:

On the one hand, I would really, REALLY, desperately love it if men in general could just shut the fuck up already about anything relating to whether or not women should be having children. As someone who is nearing 40 years old and does not have children, has no plans to have children anytime soon (if ever), and is perfectly content with that ,John,s "Oh, fuck alllllllllllllllllllllllll the way off!" response to Vance's BS in that regard echoed my sentiments exactly

On the other hand, if Vance is indeed as unpopular as he seems to be, and given how Americans at large are VERY much opposed to the overturning of Roe and the GOP's super creepy attitude related to that topic, I'm also sitting here like, "Oh, no, Vance, by all means, please do keep talking." :p.  

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

"The reason you find coins in the couch cushions is because JD always leaves a tip." 😆

And I loved John saying that you don't need kids to care about your fellow human beings. 

Seriously, as noted above, I do not have children of my own, though I do have a niece. But even before she came along, that didn't affect my opinion of issues affecting children in general. I don't need to have children or be related to them to think that we need to do something about climate change, so that future generations live in a safe and clean and healthy world. I sure as hell don't need to have kids or be related to them to believe that children should be able to go to school without having to worry about the risk of being shot. I don't need to have children or be related to them to know that disowning your child because of their sexuality is deeply cruel and horrifying and goes against, like, every single aspect of what it means to be religious, or a decent human being in general. 

And so on. But as noted above, people like Vance operate under the, "If it doens't affect me specifically, it's not worth caring about." mindset, so as infuratingly stupid as his attitude is, it's also sadly unsurprising. 

(Regarding the couch jokes - the other day, on another forum I go to, a couple posters had some good zingers along those lines as well. One was like, "Usually it's the couch that pulls out." and another had a post to the tune of Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing" that went, "When I get that feeling/I want sectional healing." XD. 

Yeah. Gotta love how the people who have the most prudish, restrictive, backwards views on sex wind up being the ones who either get involved in a sex scandal, or who wind up the subject of those kinds of rumors/jokes, no matter how ridiculous and nonsensical they may be.)

As for the main story, I just appreciated John pointing out that the religious right's support of Israel is not remotely based in any sort of genuine sympathy or support for their cause, that it's actually all about them wanting things put into place for their super creepy "end of the world" scenario they're so certain will totally happen someday. If they really cared about anti-Semitism, after all, they wouldn't be supporting a party that has had politicians out there echoing and supporting neo-Nazis, or Hitler, and who remained mum when the Charlotttesville attack happened years ago and there was a crapton of anti-Semetic stuff being spewed there ("fine people on both sides", remember that?). And it's stuff like that that just further proves why the religious right should not, under any circumstances, get the oportunity to regain power. 

8 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Seriously, the media needs to cover 'brat'? Because that's the pressing issue of the day with Biden stepping aside. 

I'm trying to decide what's more embarrassing - watching older people rying to act like they're "hip" when talking about the kinds of terms young people use, or people like Tapper just being like, "So...we're all brat, then?" We got a mix of both in that clip and it was...something. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Imagine if the couch had some type of dolphin pattern upholstery.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
23 minutes ago, Palimelon said:

Imagine if the couch had some type of dolphin pattern upholstery.

You’ve just reminded me of a response that made me laugh, the other night, on Twitter.  It just said, “OnlyFins?” 😂

• LOL 6

There was an article waaaaaay back a long time ago that was titled something like "No, you aren't entitled to a hot chick". This was before incels were a thing and all the shootings.

Guys like Vance who seethe against the cat ladies are basically what the article was about. He didn't have enough girlfriends in high school in his mind, so he's going to take it out on everyone for the rest of his life. 

• Like 6
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear Trump screaming to Eric and Junior about forcing him to take Vance as his running mate. And now he's stuck with him. 😂

The Middle East situation is so frustrating. I don't see any way that either side will offer concessions; therefore, the violence and hatred will continue until the world ends.

Yes.  He also said that children should get votes, as soon as they’re born, and their parents should be able to use their votes until they turn eighteen.

We do not like him in Ohio.  Well, a lot of us don’t.  

• Like 9

So wait...does that apply also to kids born on US soil but whose parents aren't US citizens? Can they then vote in their child's name? I mean, by his logic, they could, no?

• Like 4
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

There was an article waaaaaay back a long time ago that was titled something like "No, you aren't entitled to a hot chick". This was before incels were a thing and all the shootings.

Guys like Vance who seethe against the cat ladies are basically what the article was about. He didn't have enough girlfriends in high school in his mind, so he's going to take it out on everyone for the rest of his life. 

Bingo. That's exactly it. Perfect description. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Palimelon said:

So wait...does that apply also to kids born on US soil but whose parents aren't US citizens? Can they then vote in their child's name? I mean, by his logic, they could, no?

I doubt it, but good catch!

I don't think I can mention something else here, because it wasn't a part of the show. Someone was talking about doing away with birthright citizenship, in recent years. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Well, that was an uncomfortable episode. I don’t think John is railing against Israel out of hatred. He’s just being a pissy little bitch about it, like he covers most topics. His selling point is that he’s funny while doing it.

If the rumor that JD Vance screws  furniture keeps him from being one heartbeat away from the presidency, then I’m all for it.

The show had forty minutes and they went over. Frustrating to me watching on DVR.

• Like 2

After watching this again JO seemed to lay the blame firmly at the door of the USA for refusing to do anything that might upset Israel by vetoing any sanctions against them no matter what Israel does. While this is the situation and the USA continues to do this nothing will ever change, even if there is a ceasefire.

• Like 9

It seems impossible to even comment on this topic without being accused of antisemitism. It's an infuriating situation I feel utterly helpless to do anything about.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3

I’ve heard many comments advocating for Palestinians without getting into antisemitism but not from John.  He crossed the line.  

He glossed over with a very quick “because of terrorism” when giving the reasons the Oslo process broke down.  That’s pretty important!  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

As a childless cat lady. FUCK YOU Vance. I love children and always planned to have them or adopted but it didn't pan out. I never met anyone to have them with and health problems in the past decade closed the door on that for good.  I love children enough that I want them all to have good health care and education. I want them all to have a good parent or parents' who don't beat, abuse, starve or any of the many horrible things some parents' do to their kids.  Not all parents of course. But there are those who do. 

If anything Vance sounds bitter. 

Also, Jesus didn't have any children either. Everyone loved him and He loved children. He made sure not to exclude them from his preaching.

Snoop speaking French? He can do no wrong.

• Like 12
  • Hugs 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

As a childless cat lady. FUCK YOU Vance. I love children and always planned to have them or adopted but it didn't pan out. I never met anyone to have them with and health problems in the past decade closed the door on that for good. 

Yeah, that's another thing about comments like the sort Vance is making that just highlights how shitty they are. What about those who do/did want kids, but can't have them/weren't able to have them for some reason or another? Are they "lesser" for not pumping out kids, too? 

Just...it's absolutey mind-bloiwng that we still have people like Vance out here spouting garbage attitudes like this in this day and age. I truly do not get why some people get SO bent out of shape over the fact that some of us out there don't have kids/don't want to have kids. Why the fuck is that anyone else's business or concern? 

(There's also the contradiction of a party that wants to take away the option of abortion and preaches abstiennce until marriage and things of that sort getting upset when people aren't trying to have kids. Like...yeah, we're not out here trying to get pregnant, but that's also reducing the amount of people having abortions or considering having them, so...)

Also, Jesus didn't have any children either. Everyone loved him and He loved children. He made sure not to exclude them from his preaching.

EXCELLENT point. Someone should bring that up to Vance and watch him try and fumble out a response. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2

Vance's statements about women not having children is also a dog-whistle for the Great Replacement Theory. WHITE women are not having enough babies.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, that's another thing about comments like the sort Vance is making that just highlights how shitty they are. What about those who do/did want kids, but can't have them/weren't able to have them for some reason or another? Are they "lesser" for not pumping out kids, too?

And the fact that a lot of people who wanted kids couldn't afford them directly due to the austerity policies that they pushed.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
On 7/31/2024 at 12:58 AM, iMonrey said:

It seems impossible to even comment on this topic without being accused of antisemitism. It's an infuriating situation I feel utterly helpless to do anything about.

Not really.

• Like 1