Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Coraline Jones said:

Although I wouldn't expect that many of you here would have heard of them.

Heard of them, saw them live.  That's because I am old.

• LOL 2

And NBC made my blood boil, keeping their camera on him crying. Finally, a coach takes Caleb back stage and Mike Tirico says, oh good they’re taking him somewhere private and I yell , “ you could have turned off your f*cking cameras a while ago too!”

• Like 5
  • Angry 3
  • Applause 5
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And NBC made my blood boil, keeping their camera on him crying. Finally, a coach takes Caleb back stage and Mike Tirico says, oh good they’re taking him somewhere private and I yell , “ you could have turned off your f*cking cameras a while ago too!”

I watched the replay of the world feed, and...I'm glad I did because I did not see that.  And I wouldn't have wanted to.

• Like 1

Dressel had a rough time after Tokyo. He dealt with some mental health struggles, including anxiety which forced him to withdraw from the sport for quite awhile. Even getting to the games was an achievement. I’m glad he got that relay Gold, sad he wasn’t able to perform for his individuals. He’s got another relay coming. I hope he can end his Olympics on a high note.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Chaser said:

Caleb Dressel just made my heart hurt. 

I am sad for him because it sucks to feel like you have let people down. 😔

The story behind Cam McEvoy's win is pretty amazing, though. He was expected to win a gold in Tokyo and instead finished 7th. He all but walked away from swimming but instead decided to get into fitness in a different way, lifting weights, gaining about 10kg etc. For fun one day He decided to jump in the pool and trial his 50m time and was amazed to see it was really good even though he hadn't been doing any swim training. So he has tried a completely different prep for these Olympics. When he used to swim at least 30km a week, now he does 3 but lifts weights, does a lot of resistance work, plyometric jumps etc. And the result is being the fastest freestyler over 50 metres at the ancient age of 30! Quite a comeback! 👏

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 7
(edited)

Thank heavens for Katie Ledecky holding things down in the pool for the U.S. GOAT! Titmuss pushed her. And congratulations to Paige Madden smashing her PB for bronze!

OUCH at Alex Walsh getting DQ'd.

Whew that 4x100 mixed medley was STRESSFUL AND EXCITING!!! That was soooo close. Congratulations to the U.S. team!! 

Edited by Souris
  • Like 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, Chaser said:

US Swimming has three medal categories this year: Ledecky, Silver and Bronze. 

If Bobby Finke doesn't win the 1500m, it will be the first time a US man will not win an individual gold medal in swimming since the 1900 games in...Paris.

Apparently male American swimmers do not appreciate French culture.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 2

Oh Walsh 😥

She realllllllly died those last 20 meters, so I guess...at least it wasn't the gold that she lost with the DQ?  Still, what a bummer.

Really happy for Milak winning the 100m butterfly.

Great 800m free by the women, and it was so lovely to see how excited Paige Madden was by her performance and to see Katie invite Paige to stand with her on top of the podium.

That mixed relay was insane, but at least this was one close race the US did not lose in the last five meters (man, was it close, though 😬 – thank you for hanging on, Torri!!).  Caeleb is one of my forever Olympics husbands (along with Nathan Adrian, Aksel Lund Svindal, Joey Cheek), so I'm of course thrilled for his ninth(!!!!) gold medal.  Nic Fink, though, is absolutely one of my Paris Olympics husbands (along with decathletes Leo Neugebauer and Sven Roosen), so I'm thrilled he won a gold.  I'm also thrilled for Regan Smith and Gretchen Walsh winning their first golds.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:
6 hours ago, Chaser said:

If Bobby Finke doesn't win the 1500m, it will be the first time a US man will not win an individual gold medal in swimming since the 1900 games in...Paris

Until Cam McEvoy won the 50m free yesterday, Australia was in the same situation- you had to have a uterus to get gold! 🤣

• Like 4

My Olympics was made by hearing Rowdy Gaines yell “Stubblety-Cook” over and over again. I laughed so hard I almost passed out.

My spouse hates Rowdy’s voice but I find his analysis good. I loved it when he said absolutely no one saw Sarah Sjöström coming. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

LA28 will be Rowdy’s last Olympics providing commentary. He confirmed it on his IG. I for one will miss him. 

”Here comes Lezak!”

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Finke leading so much from the start is weird. I’m officially nervous.

Wow, that WAS weird! Not at all what one expects from him, but it sure worked out well. WR!  I wonder if he just wanted to confuse everyone, LOL. 

So the U..S. men FINALLY got a gold under the wire.

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, Chaser said:

LA28 will be Rowdy’s last Olympics providing commentary. He confirmed it on his IG. I for one will miss him. 

i like Rowdy Gaines. that's a bummer :(

• Sad 3
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

Well, I'm sure that'll be a talker. Not a great meet for the US Men. Congrats to Bobby Finke for keeping the 120 year streak alive.

honestly i'd say not really. i just think a lot of the world has caught up - but i bet you in LA it's gonna be ALL about the USA mhhm. 

Leon, Summer, McKeown…those are insane swimmers. Other than Katie in her bread and butter swims, the US doesn’t have that this cycle.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Souris said:

My sentiments exactly. I can't help but side eye anytime the Chinese win.

Aren’t they constantly testing the athletes before and after their meets? Wondering if they are able to catch athletes more often with improvement in medical technology the last decade.

3 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

My spouse hates Rowdy’s voice

So it's not just me!  

2 hours ago, Chaser said:

LA28 will be Rowdy’s last Olympics providing commentary.

That's too bad.  I was hoping this would be his last Olympics and Michael Phelps takes his place at LA28.  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Rowdy's enthusiasm is unmatched, which I love, but that's really all he's got. A future commentator with enthusiasm and better analysis is needed.

Agree to disagree. His analysis on starts, underwater form, split times, and who needs to be where to win (before the races even start) is excellent.  I don't see anyone else (even Phelps) being as good.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, twoods said:

Aren’t they constantly testing the athletes before and after their meets? Wondering if they are able to catch athletes more often with improvement in medical technology the last decade.

Yes, but doping will always be ahead of testing.  Dopers know how to cycle the drugs in their system so that there won't be detectable amounts in their bodies when competitions (especially a competition like the Olympics) come around.

Rant time!  (Not directed at you, by the way, just a general rant!)

There's been a loud contingent defending the Chinese swimmers and/or attacking other nations' swimmers (particularly American and Australian).  The difference is that the American and Australian federations will punish their athletes for doping while China has a state-sponsored, systematic doping program; whatever you can do to get ahead is considered fair game and appropriate.

Having 23 swimmers (11 of whom are competing in Paris) test positive and blaming it on tainted beef?  Bullshit.  Now, of course WADA accepts this and brushes it aside because China is a cash cow for the IOC, etc. (and my speculation is that China probably paid off WADA not to disclose these results).  And this all occurred before the Tokyo Olympics and was covered up until a few journalists broke the story in April.  No punishment has occurred, so I'm not inclined to believe anything has changed with China's approach.

A lot of Pan's defenders, for example, have pointed out that he has been tested more than anyone at the Olympics and has been clean every time, an observation that either ignores how doping works or is uninformed about how doping works.  He is certainly a fantastic swimmer, but I don't think he (or any Chinese swimmer) is clean at these Olympics; both takes can be true.  I will also acknowledge that the individual swimmers may not have had a choice, which is common with state-sponsored doping programs, but doping is doping, no matter the intent.

As far as I'm concerned, no Chinese swimmer gets the benefit of any doubt.

End rant!

Now, as for the other races, Sarah Sjöström really came to play in Paris.

Good for the American women for such an amazing medley relay!  Lilly King really brought it in her final race, and good for Mollie O'Callaghan for out-touching Yang for silver.

Bobby Finke...could get it.  He's such a stud.  I was worried when he swam out so quickly in the 1,500m, but I shouldn't have been.  Wow.

Nic Fink is my Paris Olympics husband, but Bobby was one of my Tokyo Olympics husbands, and Ryan Murphy was one of my Rio Olympics husbands.  And as I said upthread, of course, Caeleb is one of my forever Olympics husbands.

I'm very lucky.

Edited by NUguy514
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Nic Fink is my Paris Olympics husband, but Bobby was one of my Tokyo Olympics husband, and Ryan Murphy was one of my Rio Olympics husbands.  And as I said upthread, of course, Caeleb is one of my forever Olympics husbands.

Your husbands are very good looking.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

Nic Fink is my Paris Olympics husband, but Bobby was one of my Tokyo Olympics husband, and Ryan Murphy was one of my Rio Olympics husbands.  And as I said upthread, of course, Caeleb is one of my forever Olympics husbands.

I'm very lucky.

I support your poly relationships and wonder if I could join in. 

• LOL 14

While I love a good close race I did enjoy the US ladies smoking everyone and snagging the WR. 

As for the men's.  I mean I also side eye China's win.  If we had to be beat I was hoping it would be France.  Still Leon Marchand had a fantastic games and a added a bronze to his hardware collection.

• Like 4

Two of the swimmers on the Chinese relay team had been among those that tested positive.

Yyyyyyyyup.

4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I support your poly relationships and wonder if I could join in. 

Oh my god, the more, the merrier!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 2
19 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

Tonight is when I spiral into my 'No more Olympic swimming' depression

Same. I miss it already.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, surfgirl said:

We need a support group!

i'll bring cookies. 

8 hours ago, Chaser said:

Two of the swimmers on the Chinese relay team had been among those that tested positive.

oh come on.
You know. I am a very positive, optimistic thinking person and I like giving people (or in this case, countries) the benefit of the doubt. but China. you were already caught and you were given a chance and you're still doping. stahp. just stahpppp. 

i wonder if this means Canada medals...

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Having 23 swimmers (11 of whom are competing in Paris) test positive and blaming it on tainted beef?

Not just tainted beef, but AUSTRALIAN tainted beef. It was all part of our dastardly plan... 

16 hours ago, Chaser said:

Sidenote, I hate the whole AUS v USA narrative.

I kind of do too. The swimmers mostly seem pretty friendly. For instance, he media have been trying to make out like Ledecky and Ariane Titmus hate each other but I don't get that vibe at all. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, katisha said:

For instance, he media have been trying to make out like Ledecky and Ariane Titmus hate each other but I don't get that vibe at all. 

The only thing I don't like about Titmus is her stupid coach, who makes it all about him. Making a spectacle of himself, knowing he'll be om camera. I can't stand that guy. And he doesn't give a shit about silver, he only performs like a deranged circus monkey on crack if Titmus is winning a gold. I wish NBC would just stop giving him air time.

• Applause 3
1 hour ago, surfgirl said:

The only thing I don't like about Titmus is her stupid coach, who makes it all about him. Making a spectacle of himself, knowing he'll be om camera. I can't stand that guy. And he doesn't give a shit about silver, he only performs like a deranged circus monkey on crack if Titmus is winning a gold. I wish NBC would just stop giving him air time.

SAAAAAAME!  I cannot stand him.  He reminds me of narcissistic asshole gymnastics coaches like Bela Karolyi and Steve Nunno who made it all. about. them.  (And, in Bela's case at least, emotionally and verbally abused young female gymnasts.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 3