Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Lone Star

• Start Topic

The final eight compete for the $300,000 prize pool, where old rivals face off and new relationships prove crucial as fallen players give their stars away. An All-Star makes a heartbreaking mistake that could cost them the entire game.

Air date: June 19, 2024 on Paramount+

(edited)

By the time they got down to four players, I was rooting for Laurel. The way they ganged up on Laurel and tried to handicap her left a bad taste in my mouth.

I get it that she's tough to beat so it would be good to get her out, but she became the least annoying person after being one of the most annoying people all season. Therefore, I was rooting for Laurel to win after Nicole and Veronica got eliminated. It's funny how 5 minutes of game play completely changed my mind on Laurel. I went into this episode wanting her to lose.

Laurel deserved it. Good for her. She's a two-time winner now.

Steve didn't listen to the rules. One star per lap. Had he listened to the rules, he likely would have won. Steve seems always cause his own downfall or step in his own way in the couple of All Stars seasons he's been in.

That checkpoint that Leroy got eliminated on is, I think, the stupidest challenge we've ever seen on this show.

I think they could have added a few more minutes to the episode runtime to show us a bit of the last part with the laps and the run. It felt rushed.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1

That final was dumb. It was all janky carnival games that I did not enjoy. I also think it's pretty crappy that Cara was basically handicapped by the fact that her allies made it farther in the game than Laurel. I think Laurel would have lost without all those stars but hey good for her I guess. I just feel like overall this cast was underserved by this final. 

• Like 8

The whole 'star giveaway' was too high school popularity for me.  With 4 stars it was hers to lose no matter what she did. Agree with above the carnival type games were a let down.  I'm ok she won, just did not seem a very competitive finale we've seen other seasons.

• Like 8
(edited)
54 minutes ago, WInterfalls said:

That final was dumb. It was all janky carnival games that I did not enjoy. I also think it's pretty crappy that Cara was basically handicapped by the fact that her allies made it farther in the game than Laurel. I think Laurel would have lost without all those stars but hey good for her I guess. I just feel like overall this cast was underserved by this final. 

I agree. I would have much rather them do a 10 mile hike up a mountain. I was looking forward to a traditional final. I think all the finals in the previous seasons were good.

These were daily challenge kind of games rather than a final.

54 minutes ago, WInterfalls said:

I also think it's pretty crappy that Cara was basically handicapped by the fact that her allies made it farther in the game than Laurel.

The irony of events...

Their attempts to handicap Laurel ended up giving Laurel a significant advantage in the end.

One separate thought I had is that it felt like Ace didn't belong. He just seems like the misfit of the group.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 2

The Terminator is officially back! LFG!!! 

Laurel is my favorite Challenger. I know she’s crazy. I know she escalates from 0 to 100 in any confrontation. But damnit I love her! And to think I suggested she wasn’t cut out for this show anymore. 

It’s good to see her get a 2nd win, as she is better than only having a single win to her name. I still rate her higher than Cara as a Challenger and only behind Evelyn all-time for the women. 

• Like 1

Couldn't stand Laurel this season and the finale was no different. But hey, at least Nicole didn't win!

I did get pulled in by the Cara/Laurel stuff at the end though, even though Laurel was an absolutely heinous bitch to Cara for no reason this season.

I personally loved the final challenges. I wanna see more challenges like this over the shit they do on the main show. 

• Like 10

The overall final was disappointing.  I did like the "janky carnival games" because it went back to an "anyone can win" vibe.  But Laurel got a massive boost with everybody giving her their stars.  If she had had to run the entire final, it might have played out differently.  If Steve had listened better, it might have played out differently

And if Nicole and Laurel really were purposely aiming their hoses at Steve's (or whoever's) faces just because they were mad they didn't win the first round, they should have been disqualified right there.  That is dangerous.  That's the only game play we heard TJ call out, telling them you can't do that.  His dressing up for that was funny.  

• Like 5
3 hours ago, bunnyface said:

And if Nicole and Laurel really were purposely aiming their hoses at Steve's (or whoever's) faces just because they were mad they didn't win the first round, they should have been disqualified right there.  That is dangerous. 

Seriously! That kind of pressure could result in Steve being blinded or possibly even killed. 

• Like 2

Laurel says she finished 30+ minutes before Cara and the editing made it look closer. 

Of course, she has been mad at the editing all season. She says she apologized to Cara almost immediately after blowing up at her earlier in the season, and they chose not to show it. She also says they overemphasized her relationship with Nicole throughout the game, not showing her relationship with the other cast members. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

I think this whole season was disappointing. I loved the first three, and it seems like now they have devolved into a regular Challenge season. Honestly, Kam, Laurel, and Cara Marie shouldn't even have been invited- I thought the whole point of the All Stars was to pick people from the original seasons of RR and RW, and to pick people (unlike Bananas) who haven't been on like, 9 out of the last 10 seasons of the regular challenge. (I guess S1 and S2 did each have one Fresh Meat person, but it was someone who has been offscreen for awhile both times. S3 had none).

While there was some drama each season, part of the fun was the collective maturity of most of the cast members. Certainly no danger of an abundance of maturity on this season.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I loved the first three, and it seems like now they have devolved into a regular Challenge season. Honestly, Kam, Laurel, and Cara Marie shouldn't even have been invited

I kind of agree. I didn't care for season 3 mostly because of Kailah. They gave Kailah a lot of screen time and I didn't think she was a fit for All Stars. I'll add that All Stars, even with the cast members that have recently appeared on the flagship show, has been better than the flagship show.

That was the magic of the first season. It was mostly old school people and it was fun to catch up with people we haven't seen in a while, and be reintroduced to them if you didn't watch the older Challenge seasons. The daily challenges were great.

My guess is that there isn't enough old school people signing up for the show so they fill in slots with people that have appeared recently on the flagship show.

Flora and Kefla would have been great additions to season 1 instead of Jonna and Jemmye, and perhaps maybe Aneesa since she had been appearing on the flagship show. Maybe the timing wasn't right for them if they were invited, or they weren't invited.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Seriously! That kind of pressure could result in Steve being blinded or possibly even killed. 

Especially since Theo of the Challenge already lost sight in one eye from a champagne cork (not on the show, while on vacation)!!!  Oh, and Olivia getting whatever that projectile was to the face? she could have lost an eye it it had been just a little off center...ack!

I agree that I don't like ganging up, but they all did it to Cara first, in that poke balls out of the net thing.  So there's ick all around.  

I really hope Laurel at some point publicly acknowledges that she now recognizes that Cara was trying to do right by her when she kept sobbing on her shoulder about Nicole (and sobbing to others too, but that's what they showed most).  

• Like 6
2 hours ago, AntFTW said:

That was the magic of the first season. It was mostly old school people and it was fun to catch up with people we haven't seen in a while, and be reintroduced to them if you didn't watch the older Challenge seasons. The daily challenges were great.

My guess is that there isn't enough old school people signing up for the show so they fill in slots with people that have appeared recently on the flagship show.

I'm sure that's it, but to me, if you start scraping the barrel for more cast members, there really is no distinction between this and the regular Challenge. I wish they would just do a smaller cast instead of resorting to the younger newbies who are part of a completely different era of MTV programming.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Was there no facial protection? 🤔

• Like 2
On 6/19/2024 at 4:47 PM, WInterfalls said:

Not a fan of Laurel, pretty obvious she was going to win when she got 4 stars. Good for her, I guess. Get why she was angry at Cara but didn’t like the way she humiliated her during that deliberation. Hope at least she felt stupid about that when Nicole cheated on her again. And the whole bragging thing was lame too when she knew she probably wasn’t going into the elimination.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Couldn't stand Laurel this season and the finale was no different. But hey, at least Nicole didn't win!

I did get pulled in by the Cara/Laurel stuff at the end though, even though Laurel was an absolutely heinous bitch to Cara for no reason this season.

I personally loved the final challenges. I wanna see more challenges like this over the shit they do on the main show. 

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one here who didn’t like Laurel this season. 

3 hours ago, ImpinAintEasy said:

Laurel says she finished 30+ minutes before Cara and the editing made it look closer. 

Of course, she has been mad at the editing all season. She says she apologized to Cara almost immediately after blowing up at her earlier in the season, and they chose not to show it. She also says they overemphasized her relationship with Nicole throughout the game, not showing her relationship with the other cast members. 

Thanks for explaining. Did she share on a podcast? Thank goodness for that, they edit all the good stuff out of the show. At least I can understand Laurel a little better now. 

3 hours ago, Tatum said:

I think this whole season was disappointing. I loved the first three, and it seems like now they have devolved into a regular Challenge season. Honestly, Kam, Laurel, and Cara Marie shouldn't even have been invited- I thought the whole point of the All Stars was to pick people from the original seasons of RR and RW, and to pick people (unlike Bananas) who haven't been on like, 9 out of the last 10 seasons of the regular challenge. (I guess S1 and S2 did each have one Fresh Meat person, but it was someone who has been offscreen for awhile both times. S3 had none).

While there was some drama each season, part of the fun was the collective maturity of most of the cast members. Certainly no danger of an abundance of maturity on this season.

I enjoyed seeing them 3, but agree having them there is blurring the lines between the flagship show and All Stars, better to stick to more OG contestants. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

Especially since Theo of the Challenge already lost sight in one eye from a champagne cork (not on the show, while on vacation)!!!  Oh, and Olivia getting whatever that projectile was to the face? she could have lost an eye it it had been just a little off center...ack!

I agree that I don't like ganging up, but they all did it to Cara first, in that poke balls out of the net thing.  So there's ick all around.  

I really hope Laurel at some point publicly acknowledges that she now recognizes that Cara was trying to do right by her when she kept sobbing on her shoulder about Nicole (and sobbing to others too, but that's what they showed most).  

OP said Laurel said she apologized right after and didn’t show it, I’d like to see that interview.

• Like 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, realitytvfan1017 said:

Thanks for explaining. Did she share on a podcast?

I saw that Derek mentioned it on Twitter 🤔

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 2

I liked the carnival games aspect, it evens the playing field in a way that just running a million miles the fastest won't do. It's always seemed silly to me for anyone who's not an elite athlete to even fight to the end when they don't stand a chance. 

And it's fitting to change it up for All Stars where the competitors skew older. It's a tv show, not a triathlon, so I like the idea that anyone could end up winning it if they find a way to get to the end. 

I hate that Steve shot himself in the foot, it feels like it gives Adam a miniature win, I was really pulling for Steve to win simply to piss off Adam more. But I suspected he was fucked when they did the talking head about him skipping a puzzle that he could have solved quickly. And again, I feel like the show/the editors just don't like him, his edit seems deliberately foolish. For someone who survived 3 eliminations to make it to the end against all odds, his edit should have been more triumphant, but it seems like they go out of their way to include every awkward moment and dumb soundbite.

The star giving aspect was interesting, but perhaps a smidge too powerful. Veronica giving her star to Laurel seemed like a fuck you to the rest. Even with all those advantages though, if Steve had played his correctly, she still could have lost. 

That Nicole stuff at the end probably burns a bit given how it all turned out between the 2 of them. At least she has $250k as consolation, I guess.

I read an interview with Cara Maria that indicates that she is not on good terms with Laurel at all and considers her a toxic person. CM also claims not to know that Laurel was against her the entire game, which I find puzzling considering Laurel screamed in her face on more than one occasion. 

• Like 5

I was at peace with the finale, but I understand the vitriol towards it. And I was rooting for Steve. I met the guy ages ago . . . take away the whole hand model thing and mini-Jason Momoa look, the dude is normal. But he shot himself in the foot, and the Killbot got her second win. Also, I don’t think I’d want Steve back. Why get sucked into the BMP orbit if he doesn’t have to?

Challenge Gods still hate Leroy. I’m thinking the production team didn’t figure he’d get eliminated in perhaps the dumbest janky carnival game ever conceived. Anyone else want to make a joke about how good the players were in spitting?

Ithink Veronica gave Laurel her star for the same reason as Derek . . . she wanted a queer winner. I was hoping she’d give it to Steve because they were partnered in the hose game, but I get the rationale. Or maybe it was just Cara Maria hatred. Who knows?

Poor Ace. He’s too pure for any game. Only thing missing was a bird swooping it and picking off all the roaches he freed.

• Like 3

I thought the final left a lot to be desired, but it is to be expected when anyone can win. I'm fine if they go back to the one male and one female winner again. I would even like to see teams. Less current players, more Allstars. If you appear on Allstars, you are done on the flagship. 

The elimination that took out Leroy was just ridiculous. I loved how much fun TJ was having during this final. Started the episode not wanting Laurel to win, then ended it wanting her to win. What a switch for me. I may be in the minority with not wanting Ace to be in the final. I don't think he brought much. 

The lap thing at the end, I might have to go back and rewatch it because it went by fast and I wasn't paying much attention. Poor Steve. At least he still got some money. In the end it was probably the most underwhelming finale of the Allstars so far. I just want more nostalgia, even if It means I have to endure Ayanna. 

• Like 1

When I watched the first time, for the water game that they had to pair up, I thought it would have been cool to see Laurel and Cara pair up on that. During that game, it seems like Steve thought his biggest competition was Laurel rather than Cara, and that's interesting to me.

Also, it's funny to me that Steve and Veronica worked to sabotage Laurel and Nicole during the water challenge and gave the win to Ace and Cara... just for Veronica to give an advantage to Laurel.

5 hours ago, Jobiska said:

I really hope Laurel at some point publicly acknowledges that she now recognizes that Cara was trying to do right by her when she kept sobbing on her shoulder about Nicole (and sobbing to others too, but that's what they showed most)

I can't make sense out of the Cara-Nicole-Laurel situation. 1 + 1 is not equaling 2 for some reason.

I feel like there's something we didn't see. It's hard to tell how it turned sour. It doesn't make sense to me that Laurel was crying to Cara about Nicole and then Laurel flips out on Cara because Cara confronts Nicole. Even for these irrational people, the pieces just don't click.

On 6/19/2024 at 4:47 PM, WInterfalls said:

It was all janky carnival games that I did not enjoy.

2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I liked the carnival games aspect, it evens the playing field in a way that just running a million miles the fastest won't do.

I also didn't care for the janky carnival games... and that's because I think producers could have come up with better challenges for this final than the ones we got that could have accomplished the same goal of an even playing field.

37 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

The elimination that took out Leroy was just ridiculous.

I know! It was the stupidest jankiest thing!

39 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

Started the episode not wanting Laurel to win, then ended it wanting her to win. What a switch for me. I may be in the minority with not wanting Ace to be in the final. I don't think he brought much. 

Same.

I love some good retaliation in The Challenge. They doubled teamed Laurel on the water hose challenge and made her last on the "pick a room" challenge. I wanted some retaliation. There's no better retaliation than winning.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, realitytvfan1017 said:

OP said Laurel said she apologized right after and didn’t show it, I’d like to see that interview.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, realitytvfan1017 said:

Thanks but if you don’t mind me asking , what’s an FWB?

My guess is "friend with benefits."

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I liked the carnival games aspect, it evens the playing field in a way that just running a million miles the fastest won't do. It's always seemed silly to me for anyone who's not an elite athlete to even fight to the end when they don't stand a chance. 

And it's fitting to change it up for All Stars where the competitors skew older. It's a tv show, not a triathlon, so I like the idea that anyone could end up winning it if they find a way to get to the end. 

I hate that Steve shot himself in the foot, it feels like it gives Adam a miniature win, I was really pulling for Steve to win simply to piss off Adam more. But I suspected he was fucked when they did the talking head about him skipping a puzzle that he could have solved quickly. And again, I feel like the show/the editors just don't like him, his edit seems deliberately foolish. For someone who survived 3 eliminations to make it to the end against all odds, his edit should have been more triumphant, but it seems like they go out of their way to include every awkward moment and dumb soundbite.

The star giving aspect was interesting, but perhaps a smidge too powerful. Veronica giving her star to Laurel seemed like a fuck you to the rest. Even with all those advantages though, if Steve had played his correctly, she still could have lost. 

That Nicole stuff at the end probably burns a bit given how it all turned out between the 2 of them. At least she has $250k as consolation, I guess.

I read an interview with Cara Maria that indicates that she is not on good terms with Laurel at all and considers her a toxic person. CM also claims not to know that Laurel was against her the entire game, which I find puzzling considering Laurel screamed in her face on more than one occasion. 

I’m ok with the carnival games aspect for the same reason. It was a shame about Steve because I think he could have won without his mistake. I didn’t like the star twist at the end. Wanted a more equal playing field.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ImpinAintEasy said:

GQi7edSWYAApt0T?format=jpg

16 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I love some good retaliation in The Challenge. They doubled teamed Laurel on the water hose challenge and made her last on the "pick a room" challenge. I wanted some retaliation. There's no better retaliation than winning.

I don't know that I consider the pick-a-room challenge a gang-up moment because anyone who went first would have arranged that to their advantage.  That's human nature.  If Laurel had got to go first she dang sure would have arranged it to screw over Cara.  And probably any of the others too.  

• Like 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I don't know that I consider the pick-a-room challenge a gang-up moment because anyone who went first would have arranged that to their advantage.  That's human nature.  If Laurel had got to go first she dang sure would have arranged it to screw over Cara.  And probably any of the others too.  

Sure, but it wasn’t just Cara. It was also Ace and Steve. Considering that Veronica gave her star to Laurel, she seems pretty neutral. I’m not sure of Ace had it out for Laurel, but he went along with them anyway.

Cara, Ace and Steve seemingly made the order in a way that pretty much put Laurel (and Laurel specifically) at a disadvantage. I’m not saying that is a bad thing because that’s the game. I’m not picking on them for playing the game. They all seemingly saw Laurel as their biggest competition.

Since they tried so hard to put Laurel at a disadvantage, I’d like to see some retaliation. I wanted to see Laurel fight her way out of that. If it had been the reverse and Cara was being ganged up on, my opinion would apply to Cara. I would have been rooting for Cara to win instead.

Edited by AntFTW
53 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I feel like that was just Laurel's karma for orchestrating trying to fuck Cara over earlier in that one challenge. Made it all even. If only it had kept Laurel from winning lol.

That's true too.  They all arranged specifically to mess with Cara on that one challenge.  In a previous season, they all had to play pick 'em after the challenge to see who went into elimination.  They all ganged up to do that because the one time someone went against "the order" all hell broke loose.  Everybody wants to arrange things to their (and their friends) advantage.

• Like 2
On 6/19/2024 at 1:47 PM, WInterfalls said:

On 6/19/2024 at 2:14 PM, jabRI said:

The whole 'star giveaway' was too high school popularity for me.  With 4 stars it was hers to lose no matter what she did. Agree with above the carnival type games were a let down.  I'm ok she won, just did not seem a very competitive finale we've seen other seasons.

On 6/20/2024 at 6:25 AM, peachmangosteen said:

On 6/19/2024 at 2:39 PM, AntFTW said:

I agree. I would have much rather them do a 10 mile hike up a mountain. I was looking forward to a traditional final. I think all the finals in the previous seasons were good.

These were daily challenge kind of games rather than a final.

The irony of events...

Their attempts to handicap Laurel ended up giving Laurel a significant advantage in the end.

One separate thought I had is that it felt like Ace didn't belong. He just seems like the misfit of the group.

On 6/20/2024 at 6:44 AM, bunnyface said:

The overall final was disappointing.  I did like the "janky carnival games" because it went back to an "anyone can win" vibe.  But Laurel got a massive boost with everybody giving her their stars.  If she had had to run the entire final, it might have played out differently.  If Steve had listened better, it might have played out differently

And if Nicole and Laurel really were purposely aiming their hoses at Steve's (or whoever's) faces just because they were mad they didn't win the first round, they should have been disqualified right there.  That is dangerous.  That's the only game play we heard TJ call out, telling them you can't do that.  His dressing up for that was funny.  

On 6/20/2024 at 5:48 PM, LaurelleJ said:

I thought the final left a lot to be desired, but it is to be expected when anyone can win. I'm fine if they go back to the one male and one female winner again. I would even like to see teams. Less current players, more Allstars. If you appear on Allstars, you are done on the flagship. 

The elimination that took out Leroy was just ridiculous. I loved how much fun TJ was having during this final. Started the episode not wanting Laurel to win, then ended it wanting her to win. What a switch for me. I may be in the minority with not wanting Ace to be in the final. I don't think he brought much. 

The lap thing at the end, I might have to go back and rewatch it because it went by fast and I wasn't paying much attention. Poor Steve. At least he still got some money. In the end it was probably the most underwhelming finale of the Allstars so far. I just want more nostalgia, even if It means I have to endure Ayanna. 

It made sense to have multiple elimination rounds instead of one long or a couple of long stages which were more physically demanding since men and women were competing against each other, including potentially much older competitors who might have difficulty physically competing.

Day 1 wasn’t that physically taxing though by the end of the night Veronica said she was getting tired waiting.

Nicole and Veronica chose the worst game with that marble thing.

The stars thing did give Laurel a huge advantage on Day 2 but Steve still might have won it if he hadn’t made the mistake because he was faster on the scooters and The individual star games until the last puzzle.

It’s good that they tried something different.  I don’t recall exactly what they did for the Final when Cara was the sole winner and beat Zach or some athletic male competitor but it was puzzle heavy at the end running back and forth between puzzle and the key.

I don't suppose that was a large enough number of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches (I believe) to offset the ecosystem of South Africa ;-) sweet sweet Ace for "freeing" them.  I wonder if production corralled them all again afterwards.  One for the post-work bar chat later:  "I had to hang and take down all those drinking platforms and wipe up the red liquid spills!" "I had to pick up all the roaches!"  "Well, I had to clean out the barf buckets!"  "Okay, you win, drinks are on me."

• LOL 1

I was disappointed by the cheapo final.   The carnival games felt more like that "Champs vs. Stars" one-off of the past where they compete in a public park as regular people are walking by in the background.  

I can't stand Nicole, never could, so it was pleasing to see her crash and burn.  I still don't know what Veronica is doing on these shows.  She brings nothing to the party. 

Speaking of party, thank goodness they dropped those fake club nights at the fake bar.

It's good Laurel will be able to pay off her veterinary school bill now, because I don't know how her business will go.  I can't imagine many pet owners who saw this season will be eager to place their little friends in the hands of Dr. Stuckey.