Type keyword(s) to search

Madame Secretary In The Media

• Start Topic

Somewhat OT, but I wanted to share: While watching some older Law&Order episodes this past weekend, I caught this unusual casting coincidence among current MS actors in a really good episode. 4x8 ‘American Dream’, Original Air Date: Nov.9, 1993. Jill Hennessey (Jane) as prosecutor.  Zeljko Ivanek  (Russell) as killer on trial, but acting as his own lawyer. Bebe Neuwirth (Nadine) as a secretary. Jill Hennessey, 24 yrs old at the time, looked much too young for the part as an experienced prosecutor.  Both women have aged really well, Zeljko, not so much. Season 3 had a big changeover of the principal cast whose replacements stayed for many years. Hennessey was ADA for four seasons. Neuwirth, some years later, starred in spin off, 'Law&Order: Trial by Jury' which was cancelled after only one season in 2005. 

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

From BroadwayWorld.com :

August 10, 2016   ?by TV News Desk

MADAM SECRETARY
"Sebastian Arcelus has been upped to a series regular. He plays Jay Whitman, Secretary of State Elizabeth McCord's (Téa Leoni) foreign policy advisor and an essential member of her State Department team." 

1x3 ‘The Operative’

Bess:   So…we’re a good team.

Jay:    All due respect. I was on Secretary Marsh’s team. I was his guy.

Bess:   I know.

Jay:     I was hoping to ride him to the White House. You don’t have such ambitions.

Bess:   You’re right, but clearly you can make a difference here at State. I am a

sucker for anyone who’s good at their job. But if something comes along

with a presidential contender.  I’ll understand.

Jay:    Okay.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I saw Patina Miller (Daisy) on Harry (Harry Connick Jr.'s new talk show for women). She was 100% more lively, fashionable, beautiful, and interesting than on Madam Secretary.

That's not a high bar. :-D 

I don't know if this belongs here, or if it has been discussed before.

I watched the show on Netflix and I noticed that very often there is someone in a wheelchair (an extra) in the background.

i don't watch many shows, so I don't know if this is becoming more of a practice. Does anyone know why (if there is an specific reason) they have disabled extras? I really like to see that, just curious since unemployment for disabled actors are, like all for disabled, very high - and representation very low

• Love 1

I haven't noticed, but that's great! Although I hope it's not someone trying to be an actor relegated only to 'extra' roles. You don't need to act to be an extra - I have a family member who is a social worker, and is an extra in TV shows and movies on the side.

• Love 2

Madam Secretary writers may need to restructure their plans for Tim Daly's character for the rest of filming for this season. Apparently he broke both legs in a skiing accident: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/madam-secretary-tim-daly-accident-1201968871/

OUCH. That sounds pretty awful, especially when you're used to being active. I hope he heals quickly.

(I noted this over in Tim's character thread as well, if you want to discuss what you think they should do for his character.)

Edited by sinkwriter

Maybe the ankle break was more of a stress fracture? Landing hard / weird when you're flailing in the moment you hurt your knee? Or it got wrenched because the ski was still attached to his boot? Definitely takes talent, Captain! (Seriously though, that must really suck. I'm glad he's got his sense of humor about it though.)

• Love 1

I'm just baffled over the ankle because of how solid a ski boot is. Shin fractures are much more common because of that and because of how high up the leg ski boots go. Stress fracture could be a possibility. Or maybe it broke due to pressure that came from above or extreme stretch of the ankle.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that he's in good spirits. That doesn't sound like it's as dramatic as "breaking both legs" sounds when you first hear it. 

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 2

Patina Miller announced that she's pregnant on twitter/instagram yesterday. Congratulations to her and the dad-to-be. And in light of the episode they had with the Doomsday Clock in S2, the news kind of made me smile. I wonder if they'll opt to write it in because of that.

Edited by CheshireCat

From Newsday By Frank Lovece,  Posted Saturday Apr 8, 2017:

Leoni, 51, talked recently about her series.

Q:  Co-star Tim Daly broke both legs skiing in January.   How’s that affecting the show?

A:  "He’s impacted for the whole run of this season. It’s a broken ankle on his right leg, and on the left he crushed his tibial plateau. He’s had surgery, two or three pins, and it’s hard, but it’s interesting. There’s not a lot you can do until that surgery heals, until the bone really takes to the screws. God bless, he’s got an amazing attitude – he’s a fighter."

A tibial plateau fracture is a bone fracture or break in the continuity of the bone occurring in the proximal part of the tibia or shinbone called the tibial plateau; affecting the knee joint, stability and motion.

1 hour ago, VinceW said:

From Newsday By Frank Lovece,  Posted Saturday Apr 8, 2017:

Leoni, 51, talked recently about her series.

Q:  Co-star Tim Daly broke both legs skiing in January.   How’s that affecting the show?

A:  "He’s impacted for the whole run of this season. It’s a broken ankle on his right leg, and on the left he crushed his tibial plateau. He’s had surgery, two or three pins, and it’s hard, but it’s interesting. There’s not a lot you can do until that surgery heals, until the bone really takes to the screws. God bless, he’s got an amazing attitude – he’s a fighter."

A tibial plateau fracture is a bone fracture or break in the continuity of the bone occurring in the proximal part of the tibia or shinbone called the tibial plateau; affecting the knee joint, stability and motion.

I still want to know how you break an ankle in a ski boot ;-) But that aside, thanks for the information. That sounds really painful and complex!

The New York Times interviewed Hall and four other showrunners on how and if real life politics is influencing how they approach their shows.  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/arts/television/political-tv-in-age-of-trump-shonda-rhimes-scandal-veep-madame-secretary-house-of-cards-hbo.html

Hall mentions that they want their characters to have flaws - can they maybe extend that to Henry, too?! ;-) (Although, I guess, his hero complex can be a flaw, but it doesn't entirely come across as one because of how dominant and super-hero like he is).

• Love 1
On 4/24/2017 at 2:50 PM, CheshireCat said:

Hall mentions that they want their characters to have flaws - can they maybe extend that to Henry, too?! ;-) (Although, I guess, his hero complex can be a flaw, but it doesn't entirely come across as one because of how dominant and super-hero like he is).

No Henry;No Show. Tim Daly recently said "Henry is just an every man committed to doing the right thing. He's no 007 or Jason Bourne, but he can sure get himself out of tight spots." His comments are made in the same context that were espoused by the show creator Barbara Hall when the series was created. The super-hero label is just an exaggeration for the most part. IMHO.

Edited by VinceW
3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Bad news. Madam Secretary has been moved to 10 p.m. https://tvline.com/2017/05/17/cbs-fall-tv-schedule-2017-lineup-young-sheldon/

Not Good, but it seems likely that season 4 is the last anyway. Not a surprise that CBS wants to put new show at 8PM. There was a rumor last summer that Morgan Freeman and Tea Leoni had issues.  I wonder who pushed the Blake pronouncement about his sexuality into the mix before the season end. 

(edited)
38 minutes ago, VinceW said:

Not Good, but it seems likely that season 4 is the last anyway. Not a surprise that CBS wants to put new show at 8PM. There was a rumor last summer that Morgan Freeman and Tea Leoni had issues.  I wonder who pushed the Blake pronouncement about his sexuality into the mix before the season end. 

There was? I'm always amazed by what I miss. Where is everyone always hearing these things? ;-) (That said, I think that if the differences were so bad that they would play a role in the show's end then they could have ended the show after this season. If the differences occuring during summer there would have been plenty of time to prepare for that).

I knew that Madam Secretary wouldn't be a 10-season show, even if I want it to be but I had hoped for at least 5. I guess, there might be a little bit of hope for that happening with a shortened season, so that it pushes the episode count over 100.

Edited by CheshireCat
1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

There was? I'm always amazed by what I miss. Where is everyone always hearing these things? ;-) (That said, I think that if the differences were so bad that they would play a role in the show's end then they could have ended the show after this season. If the differences occuring during summer there would have been plenty of time to prepare for that).

I knew that Madam Secretary wouldn't be a 10-season show, even if I want it to be but I had hoped for at least 5. I guess, there might be a little bit of hope for that happening with a shortened season, so that it pushes the episode count over 100.

It would not be a surprise if Morgan Freeman leaves the show next year. There were supposedly issues over the direction of the show, but the US election results probably took care of that decision. Actually, the show has already been somewhat resetting the characters for next season. IMO.

2 minutes ago, VinceW said:

It would not be a surprise if Morgan Freeman leaves the show next year. There were supposedly issues over the direction of the show,

It's certainly possible, the question is, how big those differences really were if they were there. You can have different opinion and it can not be a big deal because you find a compromise but certain sites will certainly make a big deal out of it. I like to take those rumors with a huge grain of salt.

Who's actually showrunner, by the way? I know that it was McCreary's idea and that Hall brought to life/onto the page which is why she's listed as creator. Freeman and McCreary are listed as exec producers. Is Hall showrunner? If she is, then Freeman can want the show to go into one direction and Leoni can want it to go into another but Hall would have the final word anyway.

I did a Google search and it seems like there are some sites which like to give Freeman more credit than he actually deserves. (One site even claiming the show was his idea - I guess, he gets more name recognition than the other two). So, I wonder if the rumors stem from similar sites.

2 minutes ago, VinceW said:

but the US election results probably took care of that decision. Actually, the show has already been somewhat resetting the characters for next season. IMO.

Reset how?

10:00 start time means 11:00 during football season. I am not pleased. :/  I liked it at 8:00.

(edited)
On 5/22/2017 at 11:17 AM, deaja said:

10:00 start time means 11:00 during football season. I am not pleased. :/  I liked it at 8:00.

The length of the football post-game show usually causes the overrun. In many cases, the game is over on time, but the network lets it run over because air time gets good ratings given the celebrity football talking heads. NFL football post-game shows got popular about 3-4 years ago. MS coming on after 10:30PM will just kill its ratings in LIVE+SD numbers.  The only hope is a Stevie/Dmitri romance. IMO. Nadine/Mike B relationship is a lost cause. Please, no late night pregnancy stories unless its about Tim+Delilah on NCIS (Mondays) next season.

Edited by VinceW

Why CBS continually buries good shows on Sunday nights (or considers them counter-programming, I guess) is beyond me. I'm one of the stubborn faithful who consistently followed a lot of those shows, and long-since learned to set my DVR to record the show after. But I like my stories, and set aside time to watch them, old fogie that I am! ;-)

• Love 2
On 5/24/2017 at 10:15 PM, Scott said:

I apologize for linking Facebook fluff, but it's almost worth it for the visual of

Reveal hidden contents

Dmitri in a romp-him.  

Funny. For a second there I thought the guy on the couch was Zachary Quinto.  That clip would've been better if it had been, 

(edited)

TV Guide (June 12-25) Issue:  America's Most Watched: 2016-17 Season

50 TOP SHOWS

21. Madam Secretary CBS 11.1 (Live + 7 Days DVR)

Other CBS:

3. NCIS 18.4

6. Bull 15.5

9. Blue Bloods 14.1

14. NCIS-LA 12.5

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/16/2017 at 4:13 PM, CheshireCat said:

Looks like Morgan Freeman could be directing the S4 premiere, too.

Since this is season 4, I wonder if Morgan will put himself in 4 irrelevant scenes this time around . His token appearances add nothing to the show. IMO.

Edited by VinceW

Since this is season 4, I wonder if Morgan will put himself in 4 irrelevant scenes this time around . His token appearances add nothing to the show. IMO.

Morgan Freeman a "token"? I think not.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

To be fair, his role wasn't really crucial to the show, didn't require much talent and they could have used anyone else for it as well. When they announced it first, I thought that he'd play a more integral part, so I was a bit "that is what the fuzz was all about" but I don't really care one way or another. But I was kind of hoping that they would use him the way they used the retiring State Department official in S1 (the episode with the Russian submarine).

• Love 1
8 hours ago, kwnyc said:

His role as a Supreme Court Justice means nothing to the stories especially last season when the writers had Freeman meet Bess by chance at a restaurant while she was jogging in order to tell her how he voted.  His scenes are nothing more than token appearances given his stature as one of the Executive Producers. 

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1
On August 13, 2017 at 11:16 AM, kwnyc said:

It seems the OP and other respondent are not familiar with the racially charged significance of the term "token" in the US, and dictionary.com will not help them. A less fraught word choice would be to say the "[limited role of Morgan Freeman] adds nothing to the show."

• Love 3
On ‎15‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 4:45 AM, shapeshifter said:

It seems the OP and other respondent are not familiar with the racially charged significance of the term "token" in the US, and dictionary.com will not help them. A less fraught word choice would be to say the "[limited role of Morgan Freeman] adds nothing to the show."

I can only speak for myself but I wasn't aware of that (I'm from Germany, English is my second language). I only know the general meaning of token.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I can only speak for myself but I wasn't aware of that (I'm from Germany, English is my second language). I only know the general meaning of token.

Yes, that's what I surmised. I hope that I was clear about that.

• Love 1