Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Less Money, More Problems

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Wizardpatch said:

SAD seems like just a slight step up from Greendale Community College.

but it was mark's salvation that was totally worth darlene throwing away her career for!

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm also over Mark and how he'll be the savior of the family if only he can graduate from a prestigious university, and anything else is a dead end. I hope he gets arrested for illegal hacking and University of Chicago kicks him to the curb. 

Good luck with that. This is the show who thinks the person who perjured himself and took the fall for another person who was DUI for the second time is a hero.

• Like 3
On 5/23/2024 at 5:29 PM, TattleTeeny said:

WHY NOT? "We" forgot about Jackie's -- and Jerry!

And pretty much about Mary (plus her father).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

Ya no DJ for the finale? That seems rude unless it was the actor's decision.

Hopefully DJ and his family will be in the final season next year….

• Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Ya no DJ for the finale? That seems rude unless it was the actor's decision.

I don't think not bringing him back for the finale of a season he wasn't in anything notable, but I do hope he'll be involved in the series finale.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
(edited)

I just find both of them much more likeable than what has become oft the rest of the Conners, and I also don't think DJ's acting skills would be a problem compared to what the other actors bring to the table right now...

Then again, maybe the actor doesn't want to, I understand that's not his profession. But they could bring back Mary. I say this as someone who's not that much into stories with kids, but everything's better than the current topics of money issues, stupidity, and Mark the genius needs to go to a top university.

On a brighter note, maybe it's Stockholm syndrome or something but I actually liked Jackie at the beginning of the episode. And by 'like' I mean not only did she not make me cringe but I liked her delivery of the taser/ scout girl story. I also felt for her when she wanted someone to go out with her and they all pretended not to notice...

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 2
On 5/23/2024 at 4:35 PM, Yeah No said:

I thought he was above that then too but the writers keep wanting to make Mark in particular dumber and less ethical than he should be given the way the actor and most of the rest of the scripts portray him.  It doesn't add up, especially after he couldn't bring himself to repossess that car.  He acts like the straightest arrow and is supposed to be so smart and then they make him do these things that to me feel out of character.  It's been bothering me for the entire reboot.  If he really had a shady side to him he wouldn't be acting like an "honest Abe" or boy scout about everything else.

And how ridiculous when there are plenty of other ways to finance an education that don't involve desperate/shady measures.  Just how stupid and shady are we supposed to believe this kid is?  Wouldn't he be looking for more legal means toward the end of his education?  Geez, my family couldn't afford my education even with financial aid and I had to go to a cheaper school and take out student loans in addition to a work-study job.  Never ONCE would I have considered doing something shady to go to a better school.  And believe me, I could have gone to a better school.

It is such a shame because the actor who is playing Mark grew on me (both literally and figuratively). 

• LOL 1
On 5/25/2024 at 4:53 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

As much as we'd like to.

I am sure that the child is lovely in real life but I hate the "shucks, aren't I so cute" type of kid actor.

• Like 1

Good grief this family is depressing.  I just started watching seasons 1 and 2 and can't believe the money problems they have. I'm no stranger to money problems but this constant threat of eviction, no money for Beverly Rose,  failing lunch place is enough to put me to bed indefinitely. And I can't stand Harris. Does this show get any better? Should I muddle through, hoping they fare better in later seasons?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Bluedog100 said:

Good grief this family is depressing.  I just started watching seasons 1 and 2 and can't believe the money problems they have. I'm no stranger to money problems but this constant threat of eviction, no money for Beverly Rose,  failing lunch place is enough to put me to bed indefinitely. And I can't stand Harris. Does this show get any better? Should I muddle through, hoping they fare better in later seasons?

From what I read they've been renewed for a finale season so you won't have that long to wait.  Although I wouldn't hold my breath that they're going to fare any better at the end of it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/the-conners-renewed-seventh-final-season-1235890928/

• Like 2
On 6/1/2024 at 6:48 PM, Bluedog100 said:

No, the show doesn't get any better.  If you set your expectations bar low, you won't notice it as you middle through.  I'm trainwreck-watching until the bitter end because I want to see the final fail.  Six more episodes and the misery will be over!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

At this point, I would almost prefer if they ended it with another one of their crazy twists. Like showing the back of a women's head that looks and sounds like it could be Roseanne and she's drinking a pina colada on some beach and telling the guy next to her how she had to fake her death to get away from her loser family. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3

Speaking of death, I wonder if the show will have MIA-on-a-train Beverly die, or if they'll just finish out the series not mentioning her as if she never existed.

• Like 1

Since some people above mentioned DJ, I agree that he should be on the show more and if it were up to me, he would be. It seems he got banished for being too successful. :P xD

I hope Mark can succeed one day and not have to go through the poverty that his elders have, but he needs a better mindset to be able to recognize scams when they come his way. He needs time out in the world, and possibly a mentor.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Some ideas for the final season:

- Neville gets caught for another DUI. While he's away in prison, Jackie realizes she only married him because he was so insistant and such a NICE GUY. She rediscovers her old, less crazy self and finds some purpose in life, whatever that may be.

- Mark gets caught for wire fraud or whatever his hacking would qualify as. Getting away with probation for the mitigating factor of his family of origin, he goes to community college, then transfers to a good school. David (from off-screen) remembers he's got some responsibilities and sends money.

- Louise realizes she is too good to waste her life with this family. She divorces Dan, moves back to her condo, and writes/ performs some cracking songs that are hugely successful. Ironically, this helps her bond with newly divorced Jackie, who becomes her manager or something. New spinoff: Jackie & Louise. (Just kidding, no effing spinoff please!)

- Darlene suddenly rediscovers her love of writing and the arts. Which will lead to nothing, but whatever.

- Ben ... no idea.

- Becky's kid has never existed, like Jerry Garcia and Jackie's son.

- The season mostly revolves around DJ, who has become middle management, or maybe has a more interesting job now, Mary, and Becky. Plus Jackie & Louise.

- Dan enjoys his retirement. Everyone has moved out, so he can keep the beer in the house as opposed to the garage. He's started to play cards with his old friends again.

Edited by ofmd
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

Have the writers never heard of working full-time while going to school part-time? I put myself through undergraduate and graduate school at two fine universities doing just that. Yes, I was older when I graduated, but I also had work experience. I guess with all Mark’s jobs he’s working more than full-time. But he could get a regular job with benefits and experience he can put on a resume and probably work fewer hours. I guess that wouldn’t be as angsty and would make too much sense for Conner-world.  I am going to bet that Dan ends up refinancing his house to fund Mark’s education. Not many banks in the real world would make this loan, but in Conner-TV Land they would.  If Dan does, I hope Louise saves herself by leaving. And in other Conner economics, we have Darlene believing she can provide healthier, hand-made cafeteria food for less money.  There is a reason why institutional food is not that healthy. Hint: IT’S CHEAP and bought in bulk – not grain-fed or hand-pressed. Seriously, is Harris supposed to keep prepping their food by hand? I also got an E. coli vibe looking at that pile of ground beef on the counter waiting for Harris to get herself together.

• Like 3
On 5/16/2024 at 2:38 PM, MrsEVH said:

Curious to know the "big change" in the household will be.

We know it will never be a good job or any sort of rational thinking.

• Like 3