Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 4/29/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, April 29 – Jim Gaffigan (“Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story”)

Tuesday, April 30 – John Leguizamo (“The Green Veil”); Co-Hosts’ Favorite Things: Mother’s Day Edition

Wednesday, May 1 – Whoopi shares her new book, “Bits and Pieces: My Mother, My Brother, and Me”

Thursday, May 2 – Jeff Daniels (“A Man in Full”)

Friday, May 3 – Brooke Shields (“Mother of the Bride”)

• Thanks 2

Should be an interesting week for me.

Mon: I bought tix to see Gaffigan in the fall.

Tues: I like John Leguizamo.

Wed: Like Whoopi I lost my only brother so I’d like to hear what she has to say.

Thurs: I’m sure I read the book but I can’t remember it.

Fri: Is this a reimagining of FotB?

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Fri: Is this a reimagining of FotB?

No.  I saw the trailer the other week on YouTube and the plot is that during her daughter's destination wedding, Brooke Shields discovers that the father of the groom is her ex-boyfriend from college.  Hijinks ensue, most likely ending in a double wedding, if I had to guess.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Leave it to Whoopi to tell Sara to shut it because the topic of the goat was coming...and it never did. What a moderator.

And whatever, she has a cat.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3

At least Whoops LOOKS much better!  Can't have everything!  After years of her slouching w/sullen glare, under face-hiding dreadlocks, her current pulled-back do allows us to see her attractive phiz.  Big improvement.  Baby steps!

• Like 4

Yesterday's campus protests conversation was much better than I expected it to be. They didn't all talk over Sunny this time like they usually do when this topic comes up. Was also glad that Whoopi spoke on it even though the show warned her not to. They were probably worried she would "step in it" again like she did with her Holocaust comments, but she actually made a thoughtful and important point.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, atomic said:

Yesterday's campus protests conversation was much better than I expected it to be. They didn't all talk over Sunny this time like they usually do when this topic comes up. Was also glad that Whoopi spoke on it even though the show warned her not to. They were probably worried she would "step in it" again like she did with her Holocaust comments, but she actually made a thoughtful and important point.

Sunny usually interrupts everyone because she thinks she knows best when she usually doesn't.

With that said, it was a decent discussion.

• Like 5

Haleth  you should have a great time seeing Jim.  My husband and I saw him years ago in San Fransisco and was so bizarre that as we’re going in purses went on tables and searched  ,people separated ( we are  old folks) and patted down.   Jim at the time was the cleanest comic around. Most comics we saw were  very off color.  I finally figured out much later must be that the theater was one that had hard rock bands play etc., because who is  going to sneak drugs or alcohol into Jim’s show?    During his act he said he looked like a Mormon on a mission and was not just pale he was iridescent white. His act has changed a tad  last time I watched a special. 
I’ve always liked John too. Will be watching. 

Geez the music is so loud during favorite things I couldn’t hear them talking goodness knows I might need something! 

2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Confused by them dancing out to Saints. I thought they must be doing a New Orleans funeral for democracy. Nope. Funeral song was supposed to bring us joy. OK. 

When the Saints Go Marching In is typically a "second line" song that is played after the funeral.  First the sadness, then in the second line, hope and joy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Confused by them dancing out to Saints. I thought they must be doing a New Orleans funeral for democracy. Nope. Funeral song was supposed to bring us joy. OK. 

I mean, it's played at a lot of other things besides funerals.  When I was in college, our marching band played it all the time at football games. 

Though now that I think about it, we were usually losing, so...

• LOL 7

Also: Sara needs to learn that living in NY now as a native Iowan makes her a transplant, not an implant. 🤦‍♀️

• LOL 13
(edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 11:46 AM, athousandclowns said:

During his act he said he looked like a Mormon on a mission and was not just pale he was iridescent white.

I might just steal that line.   At almost-84, "my stretch marks glow in the dark" is probably inappropriate.  

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4

Okay, so, the "Should you financially support your adult children?" conversation got off track so fast.  Yes, Joy, we know.  You don't like Trump.  I don't either, but I don't feel the need to bring him up in every conversation.  Sunny made it about race for some reason, though (per usual) only mentioned black and white people, as if other races don't exist, which in this case is really odd since the racial group with the highest average income in the US is Asian people.  And then everyone else got about one sentence in before they cut to commercial.  Like, how hard would it be for them to just state things such as, "I support my kids through college, then they're on their own" or "I would let my adult child move back in with my, but on the condition that they have some form of job and pay rent".  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

Okay, so, the "Should you financially support your adult children?" conversation got off track so fast.  Yes, Joy, we know.  You don't like Trump.  I don't either, but I don't feel the need to bring him up in every conversation.  Sunny made it about race for some reason, though (per usual) only mentioned black and white people, as if other races don't exist, which in this case is really odd since the racial group with the highest average income in the US is Asian people.  And then everyone else got about one sentence in before they cut to commercial.  Like, how hard would it be for them to just state things such as, "I support my kids through college, then they're on their own" or "I would let my adult child move back in with my, but on the condition that they have some form of job and pay rent".  

That was confusing because I was wondering if Whoopi was going to chronicle her support of her daughter.and her granddaughter  etc.  

Good point about different cultures. Many cultures the kids don’t move out and eventually take care of their parents. 

i am watching Daniels in American Rust and certainly will catch this next one. What a career he’s had  

The segment with Mya and her mother has me all watered up. 

Edited by athousandclowns
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

Good point about different cultures. Many cultures the kids don’t move out and eventually take care of their parents. 

I wasn't making a point about different cultures.  The point I was making was that Sunny was bringing up generational wealth and economic disparity between black and white people in the US, while completely ignoring everyone else.  And what Sunny was talking about wasn't even on point for the conversation.  The topic was, how much financial support should you give your adult children, not the socio-economic makeup of the US.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

I'm no Gypsy Blanchard apologist, but I wonder what Sunny would have done if she had been treated by her mother the way Gypsy was. Sunny kept repeating that "she murdered her mother" as if the mom in question was June Cleaver and not a dangerously disturbed individual capable of having unnecessary surgeries done to her kid.

Meanwhile, Sunny also made some argument that the "kids" in the college protests are somehow severely affected by having police show up because they had to endure "active fire drills" when they were children. So, people who had to have "drills" are more vulnerable than someone whose mother actually did things to her? 

I think Sara was most thoughtful by saying that Gypsy Blanchard has to get used to being in the world as an adult and she's going to make mistakes. My thought is that this girl needs a lot of mental care, which I hope she's getting, because she needs a lot of help to deal with her past and have a productive future.

• Like 9

I am so over the "what's the best age to have children" topic (and all its various forms, ie, "I'm so glad I had kids young" and "I'm so glad I'm an older mom).  It's stupid.  There are so many factors that go into when women (cuz these articles and conversations are always about women, never men) end up having kids, many of which aren't even controllable (when you meet someone, fertility issues, etc).  I swear the topic only exists to get people upset and feel that they have to defend (or second guess) their life choices.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Sunny kept repeating that "she murdered her mother"

This from the woman who would help her own kid cover up a murder.

My son works at UCLA.  He said the protesters are gone. They either got arrested or went home. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Meanwhile, Sunny also made some argument that the "kids" in the college protests are somehow severely affected by having police show up because they had to endure "active fire drills" when they were children. So, people who had to have "drills" are more vulnerable than someone whose mother actually did things to her? 

I think she meant lockdown/active shooter drills, not fire drills.  Her reasoning is still faulty though.  There's no excuse for blocking people from being able to go to class and the fact that graduation ceremonies have been cancelled is sad.  And while I think there are plenty of protestors that are not doing these things, the fact that many have been allowed to cross that line is ridiculous.  Then there's the hate speech. 

My husband's boss has a daughter in college (I believe at the University of Denver).  She came home early a few weeks ago because they're Jewish and the anti-Semitic stuff that people were saying to her on campus got to be too much.  She's transferring next fall to a different university.  Earlier this week, Joy said that since college is breaking for the summer, all the protestors will be gone soon and by fall, they'll have moved on, but what she didn't consider is that for the Jewish students who had nasty things said to them by their peers (and in some cases, possibly their friends), there's no just "moving on" from that.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

I don't mind the topic of best age to have kids, but I don't like the "my age was best and everyone should follow suit" attitude some people have. There are pros and cons to being younger and older. We all have our own path. It isn't good to push everyone to have kids young. Some people have kids very young and love it and are some of the best parents, but many people are not ready young and may never want kids period. I also think advocating everyone have kids older is dangerous too. Some women are like Sara and easily have kids older, but that doesn't mean everyone can. Hollywood can give the impression a 45-year-old can have a baby as easily as a 25-year-old, but most of us do not have the funds for freezing eggs, IVF, surrogacy, etc. 

Some of us have no serious interest in having kids when we're in our 20s, especially earlier 20s. I guess if I had to pick the ideal time, maybe 27-35, old enough that your brain is fully formed and you hopefully got to enjoy your youth but young enough so hopefully you're not worried about your fertility or a high risk pregnancy. 

If I ever have kids, I will be an older mom. The sad part will be I will have less time with my kids should I be lucky enough to have any, but there are positives if I do. I think I would be much more grateful for them older than I would be younger. I think my patience and wisdom would make me a better parent than I would have been at 25. We'll see if it ever happens. I hope the fact I'm so healthy means I have several more years to have kids. I'm not someone who's going to jump through hoops though. If I can't have them naturally, I will be okay.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I think she meant lockdown/active shooter drills, not fire drills. 

That is what I meant, as well. She seemed to give the people who had drills of how to respond to potential violence more latitude than a person who experienced actual abuse. 

(edited)

Sunny did not say or suggest that harassment of students should be tolerated. She brought up police violence because at a number of these schools, cops were being called in to crack down on protests that aren't violent or antisemitic in nature. My alma mater (UT Austin) is one of the colleges that has made recent headlines for this. I am disgusted that state troopers in riot gear were called into campus to inflict actual violence against the students, who by all accounts were protesting peacefully, and hundreds of faculty members feel the same. This is not the only situation where police presence on campus has actually made the environment more unsafe, and I feel like Sunny is right to point it out (just like others on the panel are right in some of their points on this discussion as well).

Edited by atomic
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
On 5/2/2024 at 12:03 PM, Snapdragon said:

Like, how hard would it be for them to just state things such as, "I support my kids through college, then they're on their own" or "I would let my adult child move back in with my, but on the condition that they have some form of job and pay rent".  

Whoopi couldn't agree.

My kids know how difficult our life was financially...and that I did MORE than we thought I could.  We three would help each other...no matter what...no matter how long.  We've been a team and remain a team forever.  Had their father been honest (a word he didn't know), I could have been working from Day One of motherhood and not have to start at age 40.

• Hugs 1