Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E07: Challenge #3: Movies

• Start Topic

Tonight, the top six dancers take on the movies as the competition continues. This week the dancers will split into two groups and take on movie-themed challenges choreographed by Jamal Sims and Christopher Scott. Who will rise to the challenge and who will be dancing for their lives in the hopes of remaining on the show? Based on the challenges the bottom performers will have to dance for their lives and someone will be eliminated every week until the season finale where one person will win $100,000 and be crowned the winner of So You Think You Can Dance. Tune into the all-new "Challenge #3: Movies" episode of So You Think You Can Dance airing Monday, April 29 (9:02 - 10:00 ET/PT) on FOX.

Glad that Jaylin is finally gone. There was no there there. He didn’t even stand out in the opening number which was in his style. If they have changed the show to be about dancers who can work now in commercial dance, someone with zero technique had no business taking this opportunity from someone who could have used this show as a stepping stone. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)

As usual, I really enjoyed Chris Scott's work.  I actually teared up a little at the end and I was sad that whatsherface didn't have someone somewhat taller and broader-shouldered than Easton to show her off in grand old movie style, still, Fred Astaire, right?  Easton was very good at dancing AND acting.

Jamal's piece was so fun that at some times I forgot that he was making me listen to and watch choreo from Footloose.  Based on her complete disappearance (meaning, I didn't watch her because I was compelled by the other two) during that and some of her solo, I might have been tempted to send Mariyah<sp?> home. 

Time for buddy to go except that it was a couple of shows too late.  That said, he did a good job tonight and some of his moves during his solo really impressed me.  Gotta agree that he needs to cover more of the stage.

I liked movie night.  I still miss all the things and I feel that the showmance is being dwelt upon WAY TOO MUCH.  Makes me suspicious.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Like 1
(edited)

The judges comments are confusing to me sometimes.  I know they need something to say but make that shit make sense.  How is Allison basically going to complain about Dekayla staying in character the whole performance?  How is Easton supposed to show other sides to himself when he’s playing a character?

Anyways, it was nice to have an opening.  I liked the choreo for each performance.  Mariyah’s solo was one note and Jaylin also needed to use the stage more and show more variety, but I’m not mad about Jaylin leaving because the lack of technique is rough at this point, although he held his own well imo.

Edited by Backwards999
  • Like 1

I so dislike this new format of my once favorite show.  When Easton and Madison were dancing together, I got a glimpse of what it used to be, when we could watch a duet dance an entire dance and really partner with each other.  I don’t feel like we’re really getting a chance to see what an individual dancer can too when it’s all group routines, even though the group size is shrinking.  I couldn’t care less about the dating and shared house stuff - that can be edited out and we wouldn’t lose anything.  Plus there’s too much focus on the judges.  I wanted to watch great dancing and see who rises to the top, who can master other styles, whose unique skills are really brought into the choreography, etc.  I’ll watch to the end of the season but I hope if they come back next year, they go back to the original format.

• Like 13

I think the new format would have worked a lot better if we'd had a top 20 and spent the first weeks doing the traditional pairs. Then, as the group was whittled down, then do these challenges. Those kids are desperate to be seen, and I don't blame them. Shouldn't commercial dancers be able to do solos, pairs and group work?

Also, the house nonsense might go better if they had Cat as den mother. She could do her usual chat-and-support, and it might feel a bit more natural. Yes, it's lovely everyone gets along (at least on the surface) but why add the possibility of on-camera melt-downs?

• Like 6

Jaylin was the best hip-hop person they could land this season?  Kinda weak, IMO...YMMV most definitely.

Piling on here, but I dislike this new...whatever the hell this is.  I miss partnerships, though admittedly, from a pure competition standpoint, those could be problematic based on the pairing.  That said, the "unfairness of it all !!!" was part of the entertainment.  Watching a superlative dancer overcome a bad pairing was energizing.

• Like 7
(edited)

Making the judges the stars of the show is what reality shows do.  I wish they'd all just f.o.  SYTYCD didn't need any real change by season 2 (I suspect the changes between s1 and s2 had to do with dancer feedback). 

Also, and I know others disagree, I would like Nigel back (if he's judged innocent obviously) because it is HIS show (and I am not ageist).  Surprisingly, given that I hated her with a passion last time, I'd take JoJo over Alyson any old time.  They are all just fine, I suppose.

Edited by crowceilidh

I used to love to see what Cat was wearing each week…tonight’s glittery romper outfit bunched in a very weird place.  Give me back my glamorous  Cat!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Making the judges the stars of the show is what reality shows do.  I wish they'd all just f.o

I’ve quit watching all talent shows except this one exactly for this reason. The moment the judges become more important than the contestants I lose interest.

I originally figured Madison and Easton would be the final 2, but considering how scripted this is I’m thinking they’ll be pushing the Dakayla/Anthony romance for F2. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Tigregirl said:

I so dislike this new format of my once favorite show.  When Easton and Madison were dancing together, I got a glimpse of what it used to be, when we could watch a duet dance an entire dance and really partner with each other.  I don’t feel like we’re really getting a chance to see what an individual dancer can too when it’s all group routines, even though the group size is shrinking.  I couldn’t care less about the dating and shared house stuff - that can be edited out and we wouldn’t lose anything.  Plus there’s too much focus on the judges.  I wanted to watch great dancing and see who rises to the top, who can master other styles, whose unique skills are really brought into the choreography, etc.  I’ll watch to the end of the season but I hope if they come back next year, they go back to the original format.

Yes to this. It's so frustrating watching this because it's all groups, with cuts to the judges. I've had such a hard time figuring out who is good and who isn't because I can't focus on any of them! Give me pairs so I can actually get to know the dancers and their work.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, springbarb said:

. I've had such a hard time figuring out who is good and who isn't because I can't focus on any of them!

Yes!  Watching an edited video doesn’t allow us to see what they can do. We need to see live performances.   Plus the editing closes in on the dancers and often doesn’t give us a complete picture of their performances. It’s so disappointing. 

• Like 5

Was watching an old season (S14) last night, and while I had hopes for the new format, it has let me down.  That season still allowed for the performers to share some aspects of themselves, but to be able to see so many styles in one night. Plus, as so many commenters have said, the focus was on the dancing, not the judges’ reactions while they are dancing. I really miss the old format.

On 4/30/2024 at 1:58 AM, Backwards999 said:

The judges comments are confusing to me sometimes.  I know they need something to say but make that shit make sense.  How is Allison basically going to complain about Dekayla staying in character the whole performance?  How is Easton supposed to show other sides to himself when he’s playing a character?

As someone suggested in a post last week, I watched this week's episode by fast-forwarding at all points involving the judges.  It was far more enjoyable. 

I hope the interns are reading up and taking notes so that if our show is renewed (big "if"), it can be returned to proper form next season--including getting rid of these scripted, soulless, arbitrary jidges.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ms gilly said:

As someone suggested in a post last week, I watched this week's episode by fast-forwarding at all points involving the judges.  It was far more enjoyable. 

I'm glad to see people doing this. I've been fast forwarding the judges on shows like this for like at least a decade lol.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I hope the interns are reading up and taking notes so that if our show is renewed (big "if"), it can be returned to proper form next season--including getting rid of these scripted, soulless, arbitrary jidges. 

15 replies and 739 reads?  We used to have 739 replies by the next morning.  They paid attention to us sometimes then.  But unless they're run by interns (1 possibility), I'd be surprised if anyone's paying attention to us now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So the only live dancing we get is when someone has to Dance For Their Life? The show is called So You Think You Can Dance, not So You Think You Can Be A Film Editor.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
Just now, AllAboutMBTV said:

So the only live dancing we get is when someone has to Dance For Their Life? The show is called So You Think You Can Dance, not So You Think You Can Be A Film Editor.

It was really weird last week with the Broadway show. Theater is supposed to be live.

After two weeks of really good solos, this week was disappointing. Mariyah needs more confidence. I thought she was going home because of her solo. Not that the hip hop solo was great. I thought the same thing as the judges before they said their critiques. But he was the only hip hop dancer and there are other contemporary dancers. I also noticed Dakayla fixing her costume during her solo before Allison mentioned it.

When the show was popular, it used to be three hours a week. It's now down to one. I don't remember if it was two hours last season but it seemed like there was a lot more dancing. I know people were upset that only the audience voted but at least it was still the same format. It feels like a completely different show this year. We survived Next Generation and Street vs Stage. Hope it can survive and go back to the previous format next year.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

It was really weird last week with the Broadway show. Theater is supposed to be live.

Presumably, it was performed live for the judges.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Presumably, it was performed live for the judges.

It would have been better with a big audience. They create so much energy. This year, I would feel gypped as an audience member.