Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E8: Medicaid

• Start Topic

(edited)

This week: a doom-filled ride through Medicaid. I think the low point was the one doctor who saw nothing wrong with someone with losing coverage and getting dirty in the worst sense of the world. I’m hoping that doctor loses his license and gets the crap beat out of him. Dismal week between the lack of hope with Medicaid and Arizona going back to 1864 for abortion laws, even if you throw in chatty fruit and South Korean election graphics.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 7
20 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I think the low point was the one Doctor who saw nothing wrong with someone with losing coverage and getting dirty in the worst sense of the world. I’m hoping that doctor loses his license and gets the crap beat out of him. 

John's genuine anger over that story was awesome. He was PISSED, and rightly so. What. The. Actual. Fuck? I was so happy to not have my state being a national embarrassment in last week's episode. I knew that couldn't last very long. I remember the story in the news about the changes to the Medicaid program in 2016 here in Iowa and how much of a mess it was. 

That story about the baby whose birth they couldn't prove was pretty wild and insane, too. And all the debating over whether or not a child should get coverage, and the attitudes towards those who politicians (read: the GOP) deem as "undserving" of healthcare...to have this story immediately following the one about the Arizona Supreme Court ruling with that utterly horrifically fucked up law being implemented just says it all right there. It ties back to what I said last week - if you (general "you") think some people are more "deserving" of healthcare than others, if you think it's okay to deny children and those with serious health issues health coverage, if your attitudes are similar to those of that sorry excuse for a doctor regarding letting people be dirty, then I do not want to hear a goddamn word from you about how 'pro-life" you are, 'cause you clearly aren't. Fuck off. 

I also fully agree that the Republicans don't get to run away from all these super strict anti-abortion rulings that are coming down. No, no, no, guys, you're the ones who claim to be the party of personal responsibility. YOU wanted this. YOU actively ran on and campaigned on overturning Roe v. Wade and creating super strict abortion laws for decades (the guy going, "We didn't really think the court would overturn Roe", bullshit, you did, too, why else would you have run on and voted for people who wanted that for so long?). YOU got what you wanted. You do not get to run away from the consequences of this. Not now. If the rest of us have to live with the fallout of these insane rulings, then so do you. I too hope every single politician and judge who's pushed for this stuff gets the voters' message loud and clear come November.

(I also have to laugh at the politicians who are all "this decision should be left up to the states!" only to get mad and shocked when the voters in each state wind up voting to let people have the right to have an abortion if they so wish.)

Anywho, yeah, so bottom line, universal healthcare when? 

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

I actually do think the cowboy hat guy was being honest. No one really thought Roe was going to be overturned, so voting for the 1864 law simply appeases the extreme anti-wing of their voting body. They should be held accountable for their votes, but I don't think anything will come of it. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Wow that doctor has to be the most reprehensible thing anyone ever said on the show. 

Was the Wyoming vegetable Gene from Bob's Burgers? 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Was the Wyoming vegetable Gene from Bob's Burgers? 

Yes. He was there along with Mark McKinney as the peach, Fred Armisen as the Sweet Potato and Tomatillo, Nick Kroll as the Cantaloupe and Coconut and Cecily Strong as the Ginger and Orange. I loved picking out the voices.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

The talking peach and other vegetables was hilarious. But at $2.23 a pop those are some pretty high priced peaches! 

I also loved the one teardrop from the cicada after the newscasters got finished shitting all over them. 

22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They should be held accountable for their votes, but I don't think anything will come of it. 

I think something will come of it in Arizona.

• Like 5

Sinema's out, she announced her "retirement" from the Senate last month.  She blamed partisanship but really just read the writing on the wall that everyone hates her.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

You think Lake isn't going to take that Senate seat? Isn't she running against Sinema and the other guy? 

Arizona has been slowly turning blue. Now that Sinema is out, there is nobody to split the democratic/ independent vote. I'm not saying it's a lock but the Arizona people didn't elect Lake once...

• Like 4
On 4/15/2024 at 2:17 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

. Was the Wyoming vegetable Gene from Bob's Burgers? 

On 4/15/2024 at 6:46 PM, vibeology said:

Yes. He was there along with Mark McKinney as the peach, Fred Armisen as the Sweet Potato and Tomatillo, Nick Kroll as the Cantaloupe and Coconut and Cecily Strong as the Ginger and Orange. I loved picking out the voices.

And Amber Ruffin as the shopper! Talk about an all-star comedy sketch...

• Like 4

The talking fruit and vegetables was hilarious.

The thirteen month old isn't born yet? What the hell?

As for the rest. Yep, denying coverage for people who need it while those who don't can rob Medicaid for millions for years. Different program but same result. I'm so tired of it. But it will never change. 

• Like 3

I pegged Fred Armisen and Eugene Mirman immediately but not Mark McKinney, which I should have since peach was essentially his Chicken Lady voice.

Another horrifying story.  So glad that kid with cerebral palsy got his Medicaid back but what in the ever living fuck?  I'm so sick of out of touch politicians believing they get to handpick who's deserving of health care.

• Like 3

Is anyone watching on Max, and if so, are you having video to audio syncing issues?  It's fine when the show starts, but within a few minutes the audio is not syncing with what's on the screen.  It's just Last Week Tonight, other shows are fine.

I'm kind of glad it happened and I turned it off, it sounds like that Medicaid story would have had my head exploding. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I found it odd that he singled out Wyoming as a state that hadn't expanded Medicaid to adults.  The whole state has only 600,000 people.  I know it's important to low-income adult Wyomingians, but a more impactful example would be Texas, which also hasn't expanded Medicaid to adults, and has 5,000,000 uninsured people--almost ten times the total number of people in Wyoming.  And Florida has 23,000,000 people, and also hasn't expanded Medicaid.

I can't remember if it was explained, but Medicaid is available to very low-income people.  Obamacare was designed to cover people who make above a certain income (like $15,000 for a single person, give or take a few thousand) to get a subsidy that makes health insurance affordable.  For those who make less than that, they were to be on their state's Medicaid program, with states receiving federal money to cover some of the costs of expanding Medicaid eligibility to everyone.  However, not all states expanded their Medicaid eligibility to include non-parent adults, so in a place like Texas or Wyoming or Florida, people who don't make enough to qualify for an Obamacare subsidy get no help, as in zero, with their health insurance costs.  They don't get a premium subsidy for buying a health insurance policy on the Exchange, and they aren't eligible for Medicaid.

I'm sure this is too into-the-weeds for the show he did, but if you're just going to do a drive-by on Medicaid expansion and people who qualify for no help whatsoever with their healthcare costs, why pick the state with the smallest population in the whole country?  It has fewer people than the District of Columbia!

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, SeanBug said:

Is anyone watching on Max, and if so, are you having video to audio syncing issues?  It's fine when the show starts, but within a few minutes the audio is not syncing with what's on the screen.  It's just Last Week Tonight, other shows are fine.

I haven't had that problem with LWT or with Max in general. (I watch on my laptop.) I have had it occasionally with other streaming services. Very annoying.

• Like 1
On 4/14/2024 at 9:26 PM, Annber03 said:

to have this story immediately following the one about the Arizona Supreme Court ruling with that utterly horrifically fucked up law being implemented just says it all right there.

Some local Arizona papers have been delving into that 1864 law (The Howell Code) and it's horrifying.  The abortion section that they're using is Chapter X, Section 45.

Chapter X, Section 15 States: "No black or mulatto, or Indian, Mongolian or Asiatic, shall be permitted to give evidence in favor of or against any white person.”

And Chapter X, Section 47 sets the age of consent at 10. Probably because the Speaker of the House, W. Claude Jones (a "pursuer of nubile females") and one of the senators, King Woolsey, that passed the law both had child brides.

But the good news is there's enough signatures to get the "Arizona Right to Abortion Initiative" a proposed amendment to the state constitution on the ballot in November.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 5
55 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Some local Arizona papers have been delving into that 1864 law (The Howell Code) and it's horrifying.  The abortion section that they're using is Chapter X, Section 45.

Chapter X, Section 15 States: "No black or mulatto, or Indian, Mongolian or Asiatic, shall be permitted to give evidence in favor of or against any white person.”

And Chapter X, Section 47 sets the age of consent at 10. Probably because the Speaker of the House, W. Claude Jones (a "pursuer of nubile females") and one of the senators, King Woolsey, that passed the law both had child brides.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. 

That's...incredibly creepy on a whole host of levels. Holy shit, what the hell, people? 

But the good news is there's enough signatures to get the "Arizona Right to Abortion Initiative" a proposed amendment to the state constitution on the ballot in November.

Good. Here's hoping it passes overwhelmingly and the idiots who approved the 1864 ban nonsense are kicked out. 

• Like 7
On 4/19/2024 at 11:56 AM, SeanBug said:

I have this issue when I watch The Dog House: UK on Max. It's annoying but I just pause it and go back to the main menu. When the episode resumes, it's in sync and stays that way. 

• Like 1

It can happen a lot with foreign programs as some use a different format for their tv's & you might notice a strange glitch in the matrix sometimes. But it can also happen when watching on a streaming service when the your internet loses a little signal for a split second, I've noticed it happening a lot more since we moved from a new house with high speed cable & internet into an older house that can only get older technology, if it gets bad we just come out of the streaming service & log back in to fix it.

• Useful 2
22 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I have this issue when I watch The Dog House: UK on Max. It's annoying but I just pause it and go back to the main menu. When the episode resumes, it's in sync and stays that way. 

Thanks!  I stream it the next day, I don't watch live, and I wondered if that was the issue.  This week it was fine, but he didn't have a lot of video he was talking over.