Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E04: Baby Can I Hold You

• Start Topic

Airing April 4, 2024

Dr. Arizona Robbins returns to Grey Sloan for a particularly complicated case. The interns are interrogated about their past mistakes, while Teddy is eager to return to work after her health scare.

It was nice to see Arizona, but she might as well have been a random visiting doctor for the case-of-the-week. We didn't get to hear about her life in the six years she's been gone, which is something fans would want to know - speaking for myself, at least.

She did have scenes with Bailey, which I enjoyed, but I was disappointed that she didn't interact at all with Richard or Teddy - who she had established relationships with on the show.

For a publicized return of an old character's return, it felt rather disconnected. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

It was nice to see Arizona, but she might as well have been a random visiting doctor for the case-of-the-week. We didn't get to hear about her life in the six years she's been gone, which is something fans would want to know - speaking for myself, at least.

She did have scenes with Bailey, which I enjoyed, but I was disappointed that she didn't interact at all with Richard or Teddy - who she had established relationships with on the show.

For a publicized return of an old character's return, it felt rather disconnected. 

I had already come to terms with the fact that we weren't going to hear her talk about Alex but to not even have a line of dialogue about Callie or Sofia was lame. If Arizona isn't going to be back in other episodes, it was a strange narrative choice not to update the audience at all on her personal life. 

Why is Yasuda still getting screwed out of OR time when she did the least wrong of all the interns?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 8
(edited)

My only takeaway:

If I was Yasuda I would be PISSED and asking for a transfer to a different hospital. Millan saying that Yasuda had done NOTHING wrong is going to be the only time we hear that probably.

I assume that is it for "Tabitha from "Passions" Maxine?

Edited by Amazee-Dayzee
  • Like 3

Yeah, it was nice to see Arizona but having her on for such a small role and basically none of the interns fawning over her like they should be was downright embarrassing. 

We haven't seen Arizona in years and we get no updates on her and disrespect from the intern class, who only care about getting back in the OR. They're gonna learn nothing from this, at the end of the day.

And poor Mika, who did everything she asked and now she has to waste time helping people when she did nothing wrong. Bailey's approach is all over the place. I get her wanting everyone to work as a team but my god, Mika didn't even do anything wrong (as Jules said). 

I did like seeing Jules' brother. I equally liked seeing Owen berate him for his stupidity in posing as a doctor.

I really, really thought they were about to give Richard Alzheimer's in that OR. I'm glad it's just him finally realizing he's about ready to retire.

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

We haven't seen Arizona in years and we get no updates on her and disrespect from the intern class, who only care about getting back in the OR. They're gonna learn nothing from this, at the end of the day.

And to make it worse, it wasn't some 10 hour surgery where people not participating could be excused for losing focus, it was only 20 minutes long!  I would be embarrassed by my interns as well if I observed that none of them were paying attention.

• Like 9
(edited)

Never thought I’d miss Nick but here we are. He actually understood the interns and was a good teacher, and as of now they’re writing Bailey as out of touch and overly severe. I love her but it’s getting old.

I get her point about the interns needing to trust and respect each other as peers but I’d be so annoyed if I was Yasuda. It’s one thing to be punished (for something you didn’t even do—how Jo and Link got away with frolicking in the rain while leaving their patient to die at the hands of interns is the primary issue imo) but another to adhere to constantly shifting goalposts. Carrying the weight of everyone else and constantly being undermined starts to wear thin after a while. Especially when the rest of the rookies are making such little progress. It’s a ten episode season and they’re halfway through, when does the group bonding slash enlightenment begin? Because right now I don’t see it. 

Just like I don’t see where they’re going with Lucas. He isn’t hot or charming enough to suck this hard—it wasn’t meant to be funny but when he petulantly told Simone she slit his throat I laughed, so dramatic and whiny—I know he’s headed somewhere (I’m assuming they’re going to come back to his ADHD) but right now I just don’t care about the journey or the destination. 

And I agree with the comments about Arizona’s underwhelming return. I never been big on her (I like her best with Callie or Alex as a buffer) but given all the hype I expected more than her just popping in for a surgery; since that was all they could’ve had the new peds doctor do it and it wouldn’t have made a difference. The point of old doctors making cameos is getting an update on their lives and seeing them interact with old friends. Interpersonal relationships are the draw. At least for me. The medicine has always been second to that.  

Especially now that most of the regulars are established attendings and the interns are jaded. I still don’t get why they had Arizona insist on having them watch her surgery because they couldn’t have been less interested. Like they truly didn’t give af. Where’s the passion? Having a brilliant intern class with fire and an almost compulsive need to excel at their jobs was part of the initial draw and they revived some of that energy last season with the introduction of the new class but now it’s like everyone’s going through the motions and would rather not be there. Feels a bit soon to have them so weary. 

Edited by babyrambo
  • Like 6
10 minutes ago, babyrambo said:

I get her point about the interns needing to trust and respect each other as peers but I’d be so annoyed if I was Yasuda. It’s one thing to be punished (for something you didn’t even do—how Jo and Link got away with frolicking in the rain while leaving their patient to die at the hands of interns is the primary issue imo) but another to adhere to constantly shifting goalposts. Carrying the weight of everyone else and constantly being undermined starts to wear thin after a while. Especially when the rest of the rookies are making such little progress. It’s a ten episode season and they’re halfway through, when does the group bonding slash enlightenment begin? Because right now I don’t see it. 

Exactly. I know there's been some comments on how often Mika is yelling at her superiors but honestly, I don't blame her. They're all doing such a bad job with the interns under the guise that it's to help them become better surgeons. 

Actually, as we're seeing, all it's doing is making them NOT want to become surgeons. They should have been excited for a groundbreaking surgery but they all got bored 10 minutes in. There's a way to stimulate their excitement and make them want to learn from their mistakes and do better. Bailey used to be better at teaching but I think she's completely lost her touch OR can't figure out how to teach interns now vs how she taught them 15 years ago.

12 minutes ago, babyrambo said:

Just like I don’t see what they’re going with Lucas. He isn’t hot or charming enough to suck this hard—it wasn’t meant to be funny but when he petulantly told Simone she slit his throat I laughed, so dramatic and whiny—I know he’s headed somewhere (I’m assuming they’re going to come back to his ADHD) but right now I just don’t care about the journey or the destination. 

They're obviously going for a redemption for him at some point, and making him some sort of low point before so, but it's not really much fun to watch a character literally regress. I imagine part of it has to do with his undiagnosed ADHD and part of it is due to his nepotism and subsequent entitlement issues, but still. Nick does need to tell someone about what he discovered about Lucas, because we know Lucas hasn't told anyone he likely has ADHD. Unless I forgot about a scene where he told Simone or something, but I don't think I have. I think he was distracted by her fiancé stuff after his conversation with Nick.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, it was nice to see Arizona but having her on for such a small role and basically none of the interns fawning over her like they should be was downright embarrassing. 

Exactly! These interns didn't give a 💩 about the "magic" of her groundbreaking surgery. So what was even the point if not to inspire them to want to be better? They're mopey and moody and it's annoying. I don't understand what the storyline is supposed to be, here, but they wasted Arizona's one appearance in the process. 

If the rumors (I've only seen one) are true that season 21 could be the last, maybe they're setting up Richard retiring and will have a revolving door of oldies come through next season...? Or why not just make him Chief, again? He can oversee everything from an administrative standpoint. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Nick does need to tell someone about what he discovered about Lucas, because we know Lucas hasn't told anyone he likely has ADHD. Unless I forgot about a scene where he told Simone or something, but I don't think I have. I think he was distracted by her fiancé stuff after his conversation with Nick.

Lucas talked to Mika and Simone about it. Before he acknowledged it, he asked Yasuda if she thought he had ADHD? Then, it was in the opener of his "don't marry Trey" speech.

• Useful 2

I have a really dark heart obviously but I was rooting for the baby surgery to fail. I am just not interested in their always successful medical miracles.

And on a superficial note - my god the hair. Could Lucas have more ridiculous hair? Why do the women all have long hair flying everywhere. At least most of the other shows have realistic hair where it is clipped back in some way. I have long hair and find random long hairs in strange places :-) 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, amarante said:

Why do the women all have long hair flying everywhere. At least most of the other shows have realistic hair where it is clipped back in some way. I have long hair and find random long hairs in strange places :-) 

I have long hair, too, and the amount I pick up by just running my hand across the carpet (especially near my dresser) always makes me wonder how I'm not bald.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, amarante said:

And on a superficial note - my god the hair. Could Lucas have more ridiculous hair? Why do the women all have long hair flying everywhere. At least most of the other shows have realistic hair where it is clipped back in some way. I have long hair and find random long hairs in strange places :-) 

That's just tv.  The women always seems to have long, glamorous, flowing hair that is completely impractical for whatever career they have. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

That's just tv.  The women always seems to have long, glamorous, flowing hair that is completely impractical for whatever career they have. 

The other shows which have female EMT'S, doctors and firefighters generally don't have the same kind of long coiffed hair. It is in a pony or in an alligator clip.

• Like 2

I was looking forward to Arizona's return, but found myself bored and zoning out partway through. I thought maybe I'd missed some update on her past, but reading here confirms that I didn't. She made that comment to Bailey about Ben, something about it being hard to not worry about them, I think? I thought she was going to say she was with a firefighter, too, or something like that. But it didn't go anywhere. I feel all her appearance did was miss the older days of Grey's.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, babyrambo said:

I get her point about the interns needing to trust and respect each other as peers but I’d be so annoyed if I was Yasuda. It’s one thing to be punished (for something you didn’t even do—how Jo and Link got away with frolicking in the rain while leaving their patient to die at the hands of interns is the primary issue imo) but another to adhere to constantly shifting goalposts. Carrying the weight of everyone else and constantly being undermined starts to wear thin after a while. Especially when the rest of the rookies are making such little progress.

The bolded part is for emphasis. I wonder if it came up in the meeting with the hospital lawyers that the surgical resident and a department head failed to answer their pages after the attending that was in the OR at the time fainted and needed medical attention herself. (It's not like Simone and Lucas were doing the surgery because they thought they knew best and didn't need to wait for attendings, like Schmidt when he didn't wait for Webber and killed that patient he was operating on.) Jo and Link could easily lie and say they were with another patient instead of starring in their own Hallmark movie but I'm still shocked that aside from Yasuda calling her out Jo/Link aren't facing consequences for what they did. 

When Eliza Minnick was around and let Stephanie be lead on a surgery and the patient ended up dying, Arizona told Minnick that she had to take this one because otherwise Stephanie would internalize the guilt and possibly want to quit the program. And Minnick was in the OR for that surgery. Jo and Link both didn't answer their pages or worse, didn't notice them, because they had better things to do. And aside from Jo's sad face when Yasuda called her out and a line of dialogue to Link neither of them seem to feel all that responsible for what happened. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I wonder if it came up in the meeting with the hospital lawyers that the surgical resident and a department head failed to answer their pages after the attending that was in the OR at the time fainted and needed medical attention herself. (It's not like Simone and Lucas were doing the surgery because they thought they knew best and didn't need to wait for attendings, like Schmidt when he didn't wait for Webber and killed that patient he was operating on.)

Yes, thank you! I don't know why this hasn't come up, because at the end of last season they cut from the drama in the OR to Jo and Link making out in the rain. It seemed like it would be an issue. Maybe if the interns didn't cut into the guy and he died because of that, Jo and Link would be in more trouble?

I think they just want to play up this storyline of the interns being in trouble and not being able to operate. They keep playing up that angle. When Bailey told Arizona why the interns were in trouble she said it's because they operated without an attending in the room. That's not really true. They went into the room with Teddy. She just passed out and wasn't conscious when they continued the surgery. It isn't like they set out to operate alone. Then the lawyers seemed to imply Yasuda did something wrong for tending to Teddy instead of the original patient, which makes no sense, since Teddy likely would have died otherwise.

• Like 8
On 4/5/2024 at 7:18 PM, txhorns79 said:

I'll be the cheese that stands alone. I loved this episode because it felt more focused on the medical than all the interns love lives. A good example of this is how Arizona has her hair braided down when she goes into the OR. 

Lucas is definitely being set up for a redemption arc of some sort. However they are making him extremely unlikable in the meantime. What person drinks the last of the coffee? 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Milaxx said:

What person drinks the last of the coffee? 

Particularly when their roommate is their aunt who has benevolently opened up her home to them!

5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

That's not really true. They went into the room with Teddy. She just passed out and wasn't conscious when they continued the surgery. It isn't like they set out to operate alone.

Does that really change anything?  They started the operation with no attending, and the patient died.  That they initially had the appropriate staff with them doesn't really change that.  I know, this is the same hospital where Schmidt killed someone due to recklessness as part of the Webber Method and ended up coddled and fine, so I'm not actually worried about any of these surgeons.

On 4/5/2024 at 12:51 AM, funnygirl said:

Completely agree. What a waste of an opportunity. 

• Like 2

Did I imagine it or didn't Arizona mention she got the idea to 3D print the baby's skull because of working with Dr Herman and this was how she would explain things to her?

• Like 1
On 4/6/2024 at 10:21 PM, txhorns79 said:

Does that really change anything?  They started the operation with no attending, and the patient died.  That they initially had the appropriate staff with them doesn't really change that.  I know, this is the same hospital where Schmidt killed someone due to recklessness as part of the Webber Method and ended up coddled and fine, so I'm not actually worried about any of these surgeons.

I think it changes things a LOT. The point is they didn't set out to break the rules and operate by themselves. They called an attending went into the OR together for her to lead the surgery. Then she passed out and the patient coded while no one else was around. I don't think they wanted to operate they just didn't know what to do because that situation is not exactly one covered in orientation.

I think it is way different from if they just didn't bother to call an attending and set out to operate alone.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Lucas is so freaking annoying! Entitled, arrogant, self-centered, immature. Amelia was being ridiculously patient with him while he made her place into a complete mess where she couldn’t find things, drank the last of the coffee, borrowed her car without asking… Yeah, she’s family, but since when does that entitle him to treat her home like a hotel? What’s he going to do next, throw a party while she’s out?

Much as I generally can’t stand Owen, I absolutely loved seeing him tell off Millen’s brother.

ETA: Shut up, Beltran. Maybe the elevator “just doesn’t like you”, seriously?

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Like 4
On 4/9/2024 at 10:20 AM, CarpeFelis said:

Lucas is so freaking annoying! Entitled, arrogant, self-centered, immature. Amelia was being ridiculously patient with him while he made her place into a complete mess where she couldn’t find things, drank the last of the coffee, borrowed her car without asking… Yeah, she’s family, but since when does that entitle him to treat her home like a hotel? What’s he going to do next, throw a party while she’s out?

Much as I generally can’t stand Owen, I absolutely loved seeing him tell off Millen’s brother.

ETA: Shut up, Beltran. Maybe the elevator “just doesn’t like you”, seriously?

Yes! As much as I love Natalie Morales, I can’t STAND Beltran.

• Like 2