Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 4/1/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, April 1 – Kyra Sedgwick (Off-Broadway, “All of Me”); Lisa Ann Walter (ABC’s “Abbott Elementary”)

Tuesday, April 2 – Valerie Bertinelli (author, “Indulge: Delicious and Decadent Dishes to Enjoy and Share”); Sonequa Martin-Green and Wilson Cruz (“Star Trek: Discovery”)

Wednesday, April 3 – Jesse Eisenberg and Riley Keough (“Sasquatch Sunset”); Chef Michael Symon (“24 in 24: Last Chef Standing”)

Thursday, April 4 – Elizabeth and Damian Hurley (“Strictly Confidential”); Alex Edelman (“Just For Us”)

Friday, April 5 – Leslie Bibb (“Palm Royale”)

• Thanks 5

What is the joke that Whoopi tells at the beginning of every show about?  kind of “this audience looks so familiar “?

Do they have a practice run before taping?

• Useful 1
(edited)

Maybe they tape some guest segments before the show is live?   We used to have posters who attended shows, too bad they aren’t around to give us the inside info. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, 2JEWELL said:

What is the joke that Whoopi tells at the beginning of every show about?  kind of “this audience looks so familiar “?

What is that BORING and REPETITIVE "joke" that Whoopi tells way too often?

It's only funny to the audience who is seated through a second show.  Most comedians don't repeat the same stale stuff over and over.  Apparently Whoopi thinks it's clever.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Maybe they tape some guest segments before the show is live?   We used to have posters who attended shows, too bad they aren’t around to give us the inside info. 

From the 'net:  "The View" is taped in New York City on weekday mornings. On some days they also tape a second show in the afternoon.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

Today's program was previously recorded. So the audience from an earlier live-broadcast show must stuck around for the taping of the second show, to be aired at a later date. Whoopi is just being honest about it, though not very clear to the at-home audience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

I love Whoopi’s sweater but see she dug up that old gray scarf again.

I may have to check out Valerie’s cool book. That all looked yummy. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I love Whoopi’s sweater but see she dug up that old gray scarf again.

I may have to check out Valerie’s cool book. That all looked yummy. 

I love some of her print jackets but geez when she hauls out that tired scarf.  Hope this boyfriend is deserving of Valerie. I just this second got a notice that Valerie’s speech was cut in 2 places. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I love some of her print jackets but geez when she hauls out that tired scarf. 

If you're talking about the black (gray) and white USA flag scarf, I think it represents that the promise of America will not quite reach its full potential until we have achieved "liberty and justice for all." When we get to full equality of opportunity, the flag will be resplendent with color.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Sunny continues to be the only person at the table who shows any kind of empathy for all the innocent lives being lost in Palestine. This is why I really value her presence on the panel in spite of certain of aspects of her personality being annoying at times.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Sunny's thinly-veiled hatred of Jews and whites comes through every time she plays empathetic towards the Palestinians.  They're just a means to an end.  Bonus points when she prefaces her heartfelt pleas with "my grandfather was Jewish."

Hamas doctrine vows they will not stop until they annihilate all Jews and wipe them off the face of the earth.

Let's not forget the Palestinian people voted in Hamas, a terrorist group, in 2006.  They have not held free elections since that day.  Weird, huh.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Has there been any information on the "cast" on Sunny's right hand.  The padding is starting to look dirty

Back Atcha, you need to start listening to the podcast. When she broke her arm roller skating, they initially gave her a soft cast which she didn't wear all the time, so they then gave her a hard cast which she can't take off. She said the advantage of that is that she has all the famous people that are on the View sign her cast.  Can you imagine if you're a C-list celebrity,  how embarrassed you must be if you are NOT asked to sign her cast? Kinda like how you would feel if Whoopi DOESN'T ask you to come back and hang with the crew for a full day, since she tells that to almost EVERBODY?🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Whoopi missed the point about Mehdi Hassan and the Sotomayor discussion. He and others don’t want to see a repeat of the RBG situation, saying she should retire now while the Senate will confirm a left leaning replacement. Who knows where we will be next year?

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
(edited)

It's too late for that, you know the right will not confirm a left leaning replacement in an election year. 

Edited by Smokeyblow
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
19 hours ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Sunny's thinly-veiled hatred of Jews and whites comes through every time she plays empathetic towards the Palestinians.  ...

Having compassion for the Palestinians in Gaza does not make one anti-white or anti-Jewish. There are no heroes in this war among the leaders of Israel or Hamas, but there have been 1200 (murdered) + 253  (taken hostage) + 30,000  (bombed)+ 600  (IDF killed) victims.

2 hours ago, Smokeyblow said:

It's too late for that, you know the right will not confirm a left leaning replacement in an election year. 

But Dems currently have a Senate majority, so they don't need Republican support.

• Like 8
  • Love 4
On 4/2/2024 at 6:11 PM, Sue in her 60s said:

If you're talking about the black (gray) and white USA flag scarf, I think it represents that the promise of America will not quite reach its full potential until we have achieved "liberty and justice for all." When we get to full equality of opportunity, the flag will be resplendent with color.

I didn’t recognize it as a flag . I’d not heard of that representation so I did a lengthy search both of her wearing it and meaning of such a flag.  I only found a reference to gender neutral, and back three years ago a black white flag having something doing with Trump.   And 5 years ago a single person  who hung a black and white flag “representing economic  struggle and inequality as well. Missing colors representing corrupt politicians and corporations that have drained our once great nation the missing red represents lives lost in vain, blue missing representing middle class workers” 

There are hundred of pictures of her wearing similar scarfs dating back 2015 in London and 2013 a red white and blue flag scarf as she’s done many times in NY also. I’ve only noticed the washed out grey and stars and dark stripe is apparent in this days scarf. She’s worn really ragged ones to formal  events and variations hundreds of times. Can’t seem to buy one though. Interesting one picture was when she was sent home for 2 weeks for saying the Holocaust had nothing to do with race. 
As shown my confusion below  I didn’t recognize it as a flag. 

290B6BD9-DDDB-4FCA-80B5-976FA6988CBD.jpeg

• Useful 2

Re: "Jolene" - Can you call a song a "cover" if you change significant parts of the lyrics? I haven't heard the album, but the discussion implied that lyrics of other songs might have been altered as well. Is that the case? I would think that Beyonce asked Dolly for her blessing before changing lyrics (and the point) of "Jolene". I think that would be the polite thing to do, but if she didn't and Dolly (or any other original songwriter) objected, what could be done? Is there legal recourse? It isn't exactly plagiarism, though, is it? Also, if a songwriter didn't like the changes and said so, I can imagine there might be some backlash against them, considering how popular Beyonce is. 

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Re: "Jolene" - Can you call a song a "cover" if you change significant parts of the lyrics? I haven't heard the album, but the discussion implied that lyrics of other songs might have been altered as well. Is that the case? I would think that Beyonce asked Dolly for her blessing before changing lyrics (and the point) of "Jolene". I think that would be the polite thing to do, but if she didn't and Dolly (or any other original songwriter) objected, what could be done? Is there legal recourse? It isn't exactly plagiarism, though, is it? Also, if a songwriter didn't like the changes and said so, I can imagine there might be some backlash against them, considering how popular Beyonce is. 

She (Dolly) has said that she wanted Beyonce to cover Jolene & that she loves this version. To your point about changing lyrics, yes it's still a cover version, just updated for 2024.

Apparently Jolene the song has been covered more times by different acts than any other song. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Denize said:

Even if you change all the lyrics but keep the tune, the tune-composer is due compensation.

Interesting - in this case, the lyricist and composer of the original are both Dolly Parton, but in a case where the music and lyrics were created by different people? Would the lyricist be out of luck? Sorry if this is going afield of the topic, but your comment made me wonder. 

I like both versions of "Jolene," but I really don't understand how Joy thinks Beyoncé's version is more feminist? Threatening Jolene instead of begging her doesn't exactly scream "girl power" to me lol.

• Like 7
21 minutes ago, atomic said:

I like both versions of "Jolene," but I really don't understand how Joy thinks Beyoncé's version is more feminist? Threatening Jolene instead of begging her doesn't exactly scream "girl power" to me lol.

My feelings about the "Jolene" cover have been basically summed up by the internet.

"Girl, ain't nobody want Jay-Z!"  

• Like 5
  • LOL 13
(edited)

For me personally, I don't like when celebrities endorse politicians because it reeks of self importance.  Most people out in the world don't announce who they're voting for (unless they're the type who bring politics into everything and those people are insufferable), so why do celebrities think their opinions matter so much?  You want to privately donate to a campaign, go for it but when a celebrity feels the need to announce who they're voting for, even when it's a candidate I also support, it just makes me roll my eyes.  

Also, I find it ironic that they're discussing how famous people should be politically active when part of what got Trump elected was this cult of celebrity worship that the country finds itself in.  Like, maybe we don't look to celebrities when it comes to how to run the country?  Just a thought...

Edited by Snapdragon
Used the wrong "their/they're" and it was going to keep me up all night
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 4/4/2024 at 8:10 AM, Haleth said:

Whoopi missed the point about Mehdi Hassan and the Sotomayor discussion.

WHAT?  Whoopi "here's the thing" missed a point?

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
On 4/4/2024 at 6:45 AM, HerkyJerky said:

Back Atcha, you need to start listening to the podcast.

I think about that occasionally, but an hour a day of "The View" is sometimes a bit too much.  Here's the thing, if Whoopi is retired, I could change my mind.

• LOL 4
On 4/4/2024 at 6:03 PM, athousandclowns said:

She’s worn really ragged ones to formal  events and variations hundreds of times.

I appreciate your diligent research! Who knows if Whoopi sees the same symbolism as I do in that scarf. One note, though, a scarf like this one is supposed to fray at the edges.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Here's the thing, if Whoopi is retired, I could change my mind.

Back Atcha, if it's any consolation, Whoopi is hardly ever on the podcast.  I guess she thinks that since she's such an active participant in the show that she doesn't have to do it.😏🙄

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Back Atcha, if it's any consolation, Whoopi is hardly ever on the podcast.  I guess she thinks that since she's such an active participant in the show that she doesn't have to do it.😏🙄

So typical.   Thanks, HJ.

• Like 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

For me personally, I don't like when celebrities endorse politicians because it reeks of self importance.  Most people out in the world don't announce who they're voting for (unless they're the type who bring politics into everything and those people are insufferable), so why do celebrities think their opinions matter so much?  You want to privately donate to a campaign, go for it but when a celebrity feels the need to announce who they're voting for, even when it's a candidate I also support, it just makes me roll my eyes.  

Also, I find it ironic that they're discussing how famous people should be politically active when part of what got Trump elected was this cult of celebrity worship that the country finds itself in.  Like, maybe we don't look to celebrities when it comes to how to run the country?  Just a thought...

It does seem as though celebrities expect to have more influence on voters than the average person. Perhaps because audiences have a tendency to conflate their actual personalities with the parts they play - if an actor always portrays smart, articulate people who are right most of the time, then if that actor makes a statement about some political or social thing there's an unconscious response to that that indicates it is the "right" thing. The actor may be a total doofus IRL, with skeevy personal morals and no education, but unless that is all publicized, people will perceive them as the kind of character they play. I think that is why we are shocked when an actor's real personality leaks out and it is a contradiction to their persona (like Mel Gibson for example). 

I think that many political campaigns specifically seek public endorsements by celebrities for this reason. Why would you listen to some random citizen if a well-known person is available, even if that ordinary person is more informed?  

Edited by KittyQ
Strange double entry removed.
  • Like 1