Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E02: Keep the Family Close

• Start Topic

Bailey tells the interns they must complete dozens of basic procedures before being allowed back in surgery; things are awkward between Simone and Lucas; Amelia comes up with a solution to a complicated surgery.

Air date 2024-03-21

I have to be honest, I don't remember what the interns did that was so bad they can't do surgery. I feel like Bailey is being really harsh.

Kwan ignored that woman's DNR, which was bad, yes. But what did the others do? Adams, Simone, and Yasuda were operating on Sam when Teddy collapsed, and no one answered their pages so they had to operate themselves, right? What were they supposed to do, not operate and watch him die? And the woman whose name I can't remember wasn't there for any of that. Am I totally forgetting something else that happened?

I feel kind of bad for Amelia. She has lost a lot of people and she keeps having to interact with ex boyfriends and their new love interests. Maybe that woman showing up next week will be her new love interest. Or maybe they are going to have her hook up with Winston, but I hope not.

I am glad Helm finally gets some action, even if she really shouldn't be dating someone she is supervising. She is hardly the first one to do that at this hospital though.

• Like 3
(edited)

Cute cat.

Uh, just because HIV is a routine blood test in the ER doesn't mean the patient knows he has it, Doctor.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have security come get the money than to have a resident walking around the hospital with it?

You'd think a patient coming in saying "I feel like I broke my back" would be immobilized and evaluated right away... (Who was the guy who played her husband? He looked very familiar but I couldn't place him.)

Of course Kwan practicing on the dead guy would bring him back to life. 🙄

Teddy, the residents are already in enough trouble. Stop telling them to do things for your patients and keep it secret from their actual attending who is supposed to be directing them. Presumably someone has taken over your patients for the time being, anyway. You shouldn't be having someone do stuff behind their back.

Yasuda, say no. Teddy's not your boss today.

I do not believe for one second that this hot chef thinks Schmidt is the "hot surgeon." And no, your doctor cannot date you. (Seriously, where do all these hot guys who seem to think Schmidt is such a catch come from? I mean, he's not some ogre or anything, but he's not exactly someone people are likely to be particularly struck by on first meeting him. If anything, I'd be concerned that he seemed surprised when the other doctor said he'd be the lead surgeon. Not sure I want that guy cutting me open.)

46 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I am glad Helm finally gets some action, even if she really shouldn't be dating someone she is supervising.

She shouldn't be spending the night at the home of three (two? I forget who all lives there now) other people she is also supervising, either. And keeping them awake all night. (And did they imply she might punish them with crap assignments for being rightfully annoyed at her?)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
37 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I have to be honest, I don't remember what the interns did that was so bad they can't do surgery. I feel like Bailey is being really harsh.

Kwan ignored that woman's DNR, which was bad, yes. But what did the others do? Adams, Simone, and Yasuda were operating on Sam when Teddy collapsed, and no one answered their pages so they had to operate themselves, right? What were they supposed to do, not operate and watch him die? And the woman whose name I can't remember wasn't there for any of that. Am I totally forgetting something else that happened?

I feel kind of bad for Amelia. She has lost a lot of people and she keeps having to interact with ex boyfriends and their new love interests. Maybe that woman showing up next week will be her new love interest. Or maybe they are going to have her hook up with Winston, but I hope not.

I am glad Helm finally gets some action, even if she really shouldn't be dating someone she is supervising. She is hardly the first one to do that at this hospital though.

Yeah, the DNR.  I'm liking having Helm back

23 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I also don't get why all these men like Schmidt

There is a lot of Arrested Development's Ann Veal energy going on with Schmidt.  You really do want someone to be like: "Him?"  

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have security come get the money than to have a resident walking around the hospital with it?

I think he did try to take the money to security, but said they were too busy to take it at that moment.  I'd be much more suspicious of a fishing boat that pays someone thousands in cash rather than just giving him a check.     

• Like 2
(edited)

And how do these men know Schmitt is gay?  Yes I know gaydar and all but I don’t think he gives off a vibe on first meeting.  
I am so sick of women on this show acting all conflicted and dismissive and dramatic over relationships.  Just be normal!  
One thing that always annoyed me about this show is when someone goes to the person they are having issues with and go right into monologue.  “When I was a kid my father left and after that I had being left issues and I am so worried about being left and if I love you will you leave and will I be left again”. and and and.  Made up quote but you get it.  

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Like 6

So Bailey gives the interns a list of procedures they need to check off in order to proceed with their training. Then she gets pissed that they're concentrating more on their lists than the patients.

Okay then.

• Like 8
(edited)
12 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think he did try to take the money to security, but said they were too busy to take it at that moment.  

He did, but it seems like it would have been safer to call a security guard to the room. (Were all the security people really dealing with one incident? This hospital, of all hospitals, should have a huge security staff at this point after all that's happened there.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, NoReally said:

So Bailey gives the interns a list of procedures they need to check off in order to proceed with their training. Then she gets pissed that they're concentrating more on their lists than the patients.

Okay then.

Exactly.  My immediate reactions was Bailey, I love you. I have loved you for two decades.  But if you gamilfy procedures, you don't get to be offended that your interns began thinking of the procedures as a game/competition. 

• Like 7
19 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I also don't get why all these men like Schmidt and I do think Bailey is being to harsh on the interns. 

Even if I did get why they liked Schmidt, I don't get why they all hit on their doctor. While he is actively treating them. Do people really want the person who is going to be cutting into them to be thinking about them sexually?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

What happened with Maggie and Winston in the end? I can barely remember last season but I thought it was alluded they might get back together.

11 hours ago, Avabelle said:

What happened with Maggie and Winston in the end? I can barely remember last season but I thought it was alluded they might get back together.

I thought they slept together in Boston, then...one of them (I forget who--Maggie?) said it was just that one time, that they weren't getting back together.

• Useful 1
On 3/21/2024 at 8:34 PM, choclatechip45 said:

I also don't get why all these men like Schmidt and I do think Bailey is being to harsh on the interns. 

I had to laugh when Bailey was giving them a lecture about how they cared more about racking up procedures than about the patients. Gee, Bailey, exactly whose idea was it that gave them the incentive to check off procedures?

Reminds me of a lot of stupid metrics management wanted us to meet when I was still working. Largely self-defeating when people start trying to check boxes instead of putting thought into what they’re doing. Malicious compliance at its best (or more accurately, worst).

• Like 3

I want to care, but just don’t. I know they’re trying to recreate the original magic with the new batch of interns, but the cast is too big, I can’t remember anyone’s name. The early days worked because the interns were central and everyone else was secondary.  Now we have interns PLUS original cast and they have too many stories that get a few minutes each ep so we never get invested enough. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, sadie said:

I know they’re trying to recreate the original magic with the new batch of interns

I was going to say the new batch of interns isn't interesting, but really, none of them are anymore. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, sadie said:

I want to care, but just don’t. I know they’re trying to recreate the original magic with the new batch of interns, but the cast is too big, I can’t remember anyone’s name. The early days worked because the interns were central and everyone else was secondary.  Now we have interns PLUS original cast and they have too many stories that get a few minutes each ep so we never get invested enough. 

Yes, I think this is what the problem is! It was centered around MAGIC (interns acronym) at the start. Like we were viewing from their perspective. Now, it's also what's going on with Jo & Linc, Bailey, Richard, Teddy, Owen, Schmitt, Helm, Amelia, etc. It's too many plot lines.

Like, are we supposed to be rooting for Teddy, so we understand why she's asking Yasuda to be checking on her patients? Or for Yasuda, who is trying to do that while also doing what Bailey wants her to *and* not let Owen or anyone else know what she's doing for Teddy?

• Like 5
On 3/23/2024 at 5:34 AM, Avabelle said:

Since the actress decided to leave the show they turned Maggie into Ellis Grey and made her all about her career. In the end the character took a job out of state but she & Winston are supposed to be trying to have a long distance relationship. 

• Useful 1