Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12: Live Chat

• Start Topic

I will guess 527, she is very young and very mobile.  I think her weight distribution is odd, but she is not quite all the way up there weight-wise yet...

1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

Wow. We're 45 minutes into the show and don't even have her starting weight yet.

Damn, it's later than I realized! I'm not optimistic here, since we've spent almost the whole first hour mostly on the drive to Houston. Feels like they needed a lot of filler.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
4 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

EXTRA TOAST! 

During lockdown I was eating slabs of toast every day. I put on 20 pounds. Pounds I could ill afford to gain, too. 

I retired about 6 months before Covid. Working at a university, we had a good employee counseling service and I took advantage of visits to work out a plan of what I was going to do with myself and how to avoid trips to the fridge. 

When Covid came, I was already in 'just 'cause you're home, doesn't mean you're supposed to eat all day' mode and actually lost  few pounds. I think being diabetic also helped because I knew mindless eating, especially of the carb variety, was just going to cause me trouble and probably greatly increase my insulin dosage, so I had a reason to continue to manage my food.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

Her breathing is so labored.  I'm worried about her.  Sorry, but a bunch of salty snacks will only make her issues worse.   I hope she's really determined to embrace the diet.  

That chicken was a great price, and looks yummy, so does the Texas Toast. Welcome to Texas, unfortunately home of WhataBurger.  

She's a junk food junkie (from the song) but she's trying.   She's obviously in so much pain, but she's still hanging in there.  

Month 1-655 (she expected mid-500's).  

• Like 3
(edited)

I am going to look for this and put it on my list for Things to Make for Mom. And my brother loves chickpeas. 

Indian/Pakistani food has some very interesting chickpea recipes.  There is a simple salad of spiced chickpeas, tomatoes, and I think onion and cucumbers?  Incredibly delicious and very simple.  My friends and I have stumbled onto a Pakistani celebration in teh park once, and were invited to join and fed. :)

I was off by 130 pounds.  She must be taller than I think!  655???  Wow.  

Edited by Hellga
  • Like 2

I'm sorry, but that pink one-shoulder, no-bra look sister is wearing is just a no. (Sister's the one with the red hair, right?) And the crop top on Friend isn't any better.

Damn, should have gone with 642 ...at least I would have been closer.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

I am going to look for this and put it on my list for Things to Make for Mom. And my brother loves chickpeas. 

Oh my god, that's right, I also made chickpea cakes this week. (Adapted the recipe from the America's Test Kitchen Mediterranean Cookbook. I like them for ideas, but I find their recipes too fiddly and not seasoned enough. So I ramped up the seasoning and streamlined the prep and they came out awesome).

So, I double the spices when I make the stew...and don't skip the "mash the chickpeas" step. It says to use a wooden spoon, but I use a potato masher and really go for it. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Didn't notice the big rear on her friend before - or wearing slippers (as cute as they were) to the doctor's office. People - just a little pride in appearance, please.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
Just now, ams1001 said:

I'm sorry, but that pink one-shoulder, no-bra look sister is wearing is just a no. (Sister's the one with the red hair, right?) And the crop top on Friend isn't any better.

Damn, should have gone with 642 ...at least I would have been closer.

I was worried about the pink top slipping.    Some knits are a little too easy to stretch out.   

Dr. Now is telling her the honest truth, and I'm praying she'll listen and change. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

Her breathing is so labored.  I'm worried about her. 

I'm worried too. I rarely feel this way about the people on this show, but I'm SO hoping she loses weight. She's been through so much sh*t in her life, she's young and hasn't given up but she's obviously suffering with the asthma and the lymphedema. I hope she gets better and has a better life.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

She has actual goals, realistic and reasonable and concrete.  I hope she gets moving in that direction!   Go back to college to become a teacher, join a sorority and go on a cruise to Bahamas.

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
2 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Indian/Pakistani food has some very interesting chickpea recipes.  There is a simple salad of spiced chickpeas, tomatoes, and I think onion and cucumbers?  Incredibly delicious and very simple.  My friends and I have stumbled onto a Pakistani celebration in teh park once, and were invited to join and fed. :) 

I love Indian food and cook it quite a bit, and I also love chickpeas and use them all the time. In the summer a salad of tuna, chickpeas, red onion and Kalamata olives is in heavy rotation. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

She seemed gutted when she saw that weight. Hoping she succeeds. 

lots of spandex happening in room 5 tonight. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

We did a cruise and mr Lemon was unhappy but I chose the wellness section of the ship. They have a separate dining room with healthy options, spa access and wellness activities. It was great 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Dr. Now should be talking to the patient, not the sister... unless he doesn't believe Shakiya can do it on her own and wants the sister to be in control.

PS  As if on cue, he expresses doubts she is ready.

Edited by Hellga
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, aliya said:

Didn't notice the big rear on her friend before - or wearing slippers (as cute as they were) to the doctor's office. People - just a little pride in appearance, please.

I'm over here telling the friend to "sit up straight" 😂 I'm so old. 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 6
Just now, LizzyB said:

She's making my back hurt. Quick someone give me chicken nuggets!

• Fire 1
  • LOL 8
1 minute ago, Pi237 said:

His diet is 1200 calories, but she could eat 2500-3000 calories and lose 50 easily. 

Just getting rid of French fries and chicken fingers and toast she could lose 50 pounds easy 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Who thinks she will have a 'goodbye' fast food meal or two?  And a 'coping with the hardship of being on the road' fast food snack or ten before she gets home?  I don't think she looks or sounds like she wants to start right here, right now.  Not like Rose last week. 

• Like 2

I need simple, easy recipes...not a confident cook and I have very little counter space so my kitchen is frustrating. Also I might have something called ARFID (not sure if a doctor would actually diagnose me) of the type that makes me afraid to eat a lot of things because I'm afraid something bad will happen (for no real reason...it might be more of an anxiety disorder than an eating disorder, per se). Which I have not mentioned to anyone before now except in a private facebook group about the topic.

• Hugs 8
2 minutes ago, LizzyB said:

I just learned that apparently in the 1920s it was fashionable to slouch (hips forward, back and shoulders rounded).  And in fact Jordan Baker stood out to Nick Caraway in the Great Gatsby because, unlike the other girls, she stood straight with her shoulders thrown back.  So you ain't old enough!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I need simple, easy recipes...not a confident cook and I have very little counter space so my kitchen is frustrating. Also I might have something called ARFID (not sure if a doctor would actually diagnose me) of the type that makes me afraid to eat a lot of things because I'm afraid something bad will happen (for no real reason...it might be more of an anxiety disorder than an eating disorder, per se). Which I have not mentioned to anyone before now except in a private facebook group about the topic.

Maybe already prepped fresh meals, ready to cook with all the ingredients in the box and an easy recipe card would be good? Not cheap but might be good for your food anxiety issues.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I won't make a recipe if it has more than 10 ingredients or 15 steps. If you have specific foods that you are comfortable with, many sites like budget bytes let you search by ingredient 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh no, that must be awful. I'm so sorry. I hope you can get some help soon. 

I love Mark Bittmans' cookbooks for simple, easy to follow recipes. How to Cook Everything or How to Cook Everything: The Basics are both deployed often around Casa Mostly. 

• Useful 5

I know a friend whose son was diagnosed with a similar anxiety disorder.  He was specifically in fear of food from outside the home environment, etc. Did very well with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I hope you get some!  Big hugs to you.

Also, my simple recipes are not so simple to others, I have found. I know our Pounders will come through for you!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

His diet is 1200 calories, but she could eat 2500-3000 calories and lose 50 easily. 

If she went on the actual 1200 calories controlled diet like the patients he had put in the hospital did, I think she would lose 100-120 pounds in two months at her starting point.  I think the goals he gives to the outpatients already bake in plenty of cheating...  but never enough to satisfy those who aren't seriously adn fully committed.  I think it would actually take more effort to thoughtfully cheat than to just follow the damn diet as is!  

• Like 4