Type keyword(s) to search

Deadpool & Wolverine (2024)

• Start Topic

On 7/30/2024 at 5:54 AM, Spartan Girl said:

My point still stands. Whoever it was-it wasn't JC or that asshat Justin-was awesome. And Geez, you're telling me there's something that Ryan couldn't master?

And I just saw a Silver....Heineken commercial with Deadpool and Logan!

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

My point still stands. Whoever it was-it wasn't JC or that asshat Justin-was awesome. And Geez, you're telling me there's something that Ryan couldn't master?

Oh I’m sure Ryan could do it. I just believe in giving proper credit where it’s due because that guy rocked those moves.

I deliberately avoided spoilers or casting announcements for this so I could be surprised, and I am very glad that I did! This was all that I wanted it to be, a ton of fun with a lot of action, Ryan and Hugh having a grand old time, quippy fourth wall breaking, and TONS of cameos. You could tell how much Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman loved playing off each other, they have such great chemistry and played off each other really well, both in the comedic scenes and the more dramatic ones. I respect that Marvel Disney just let this movie do its own thing, in all of its bloody swearing horny glory, even as they throw a ton of shade at the hand that's going to be feeding them. Personally, I have enjoyed a lot of the MCU's more recent movies, but I can also see that they are having trouble finding themselves, I hope that this gives them the shot of life that they need. 

I hope that Laura gives Wade a good smack for what he did to her Logan's grave, even if they're friends now. That was brutal, but also utterly hilarious, he really crushed that dance sequence. I love Logan so I am thrilled that it was such a big part of the movie and that we know that Laura is doing well, you can tell how much the writers loved the movie too, skeleton fights not withstanding. 

Hugh really brought it returning to this role, even if Logan was a perfect cap for that version of Wolverine, he stepped easily back into the role and really gave it his all. Even in this wacky movie he was clearly taking this Logan seriously and even pulled some real heartstrings. 

I avoided news about who all would be appearing in this, so I got super excited about every appearance by past actors/characters. It was so much fun seeing Pyro, Sabertooth, Juggernaut, Toad, Azazel, and several other familiar bad guys in this Mad Max style world, even if only briefly. And, of course, we get the big cameos. Chris Evans really is such a good actor, I actually guessed quickly that he wasn't playing Cap, his posture was so much more reflexed than when he plays Steve, who almost always has this very straight military barring even when he's relaxing. Seeing him as Johnny was awesome (RIP) and you can tell that, like most of the actors here, that he was having a ton of fun. I was shocked at the appearances by Elektra, Blade, and the cancelled Channing Tatum version of Gambit, his hilariously thick Cajun accent (and Wade never understanding him) killed me every time. Plus, a wild Henry Cavil appears! 

I really love that, as connected as this was to the MCU, it was really a heartfelt tribute to the non MCU Marvel movies and a loving goodbye to those characters and casts. Even if some of those movies aren't exactly beloved, they still had people who worked hard on them and people who loved them, and they deserve a proper sendoff. I grew up with many of those movies, they introduced me to superheroes, so they will always have a special place in my heart. They even gave some love to some of their most hated movies, like Origins and Fan4Stick. I cant lie, I got a bit emotional watching all of that behind the scenes footage, comic book movies have come so far. 

If I had some complaints, it would be that the villains weren't all that great, even though I loved that they used so much of the TVA. Also, while I get that the Deadpool/Wolverine team up was the main point of the movie, along with exploring the multiverse, I wish we had seen some more of Deadpools supporting cast. Considering Wade's whole motivation is to save his friends, it would have been nice to see him with them more. There also wasn't any reason to break Wade and Vanessa up, I don't buy that they would make it through so much together only to split up because Wade was in a funk. However, I overall loved this movie and cant wait to watch it again to see everything that I missed!

• Like 5

I've not seen any Deadpool or Wolverine movies, nor any of the comic book genre movies - they're just not my thing.  However, my husband wants to see this in the theater, and we usually go together.  Is this something I can watch and understand without seeing any of the previous movies?

FWIW, I'd like to see Twisters - husband said if he comes with me to see Twisters, then I have to go with him to see D/W.  Maybe we should part ways at the theater?

I think it doesn't hurt to at least read through some of the wikipedia summaries for a few movies before going in to see this one (like the summaries for the first 2 Deadpools and Logan at least).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

I've not seen any Deadpool or Wolverine movies, nor any of the comic book genre movies - they're just not my thing.  However, my husband wants to see this in the theater, and we usually go together.  Is this something I can watch and understand without seeing any of the previous movies?

Likd @Palimelon said, I don't think it will be too bad, but you might want to at least read a summary of the first two movies and Logan (although I think Logan is less important because they go through it a bit in the movie). I barely remembered Logan and remembered even less about the 2 or 3 X-Men movies that I've seen in my lifetime and never felt lost.  

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

really love that, as connected as this was to the MCU, it was really a heartfelt tribute to the non MCU Marvel movies and a loving goodbye to those characters and casts. Even if some of those movies aren't exactly beloved, they still had people who worked hard on them and people who loved them, and they deserve a proper sendoff

I agree,  the FOX Universe was a mixed bag for me but, watching the mid m-credits BTS clips from all/most of the previous movies was a nice touch. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, roughing it said:

FWIW, I'd like to see Twisters - husband said if he comes with me to see Twisters, then I have to go with him to see D/W.  Maybe we should part ways at the theater?

I think there's enough exposition that you won't be completely lost.  I haven't seen most of the X-Men movies, so a lot of the cameos/characters went by me, but it was still fun to see all these people with powers.  

But if cartoony violence, gore, and lots of F-bombs are not your thing, don't bother to see this or any of the Deadpool movies.  

That said, I had a great time seeing it!  I will always love the snark and of course the fourth-wall breaking ("The Proposal." -- Nicepool), and while I think they might be trying a little too hard in this one, I do love the slo-mo fight scenes.  And shirtless Hugh Jackman is always appreciated.  Oh, and Dogpool!  And all the other Deadpools!  I also love a good multiverse movie.

I also loved the Stan Lee cameo, and how seamlessly it was worked in.  The post-credits scene cracked me up, too.

And now that I've read more about the cameos and Easter eggs, I feel like I need to watch it again.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

also loved the Stan Lee cameo, and how seamlessly it was worked in.  The post-credits scene cracked me up, too.

There was a Stan Lee cameo? I only recall seeing him in the credit clips?

18 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

There was a Stan Lee cameo? I only recall seeing him in the credit clips?

Yep.  There was an ad on the side of the bus for "Stanlee Steamer" cleaners, and it had a picture of Stan.

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 12:16 PM, baldryanr said:

Why?  This was clearly a coda for the non-MCU Marvel movies of the past 20 years with some MCU cameos and jokes tossed in. 

This is also why anyone who thinks this proves the MCU is back on top is making a big extrapolation.  This was primarily a Fox movie anchored by Fox characters that was folded into the MCU banner.

I think it is more evidence, like changing up the team doing Daredevil: Born Again midway through production that  the MCU made a hard course correction.

I did like the cast aside team. Elektra not giving a care about Daredevil and breaking the wall, Blade making a comment about being and will always be the only Blade and Gambit stating look at what we could have seen him do and now did as they provided the rear guard. With the talk of the many Punishers as the movie was nearing the end I was wondering if I missed a Ghost Rider reference along the way.. 

I was surprised that Pyro had such an easy time with Johnny Storm, unfortunately a newsfeed thumbnail spoiled the shock for me.  Along with budget killer Chris Evans, X-23 coming up in a late ad blitz being the only cast aside crew that were spoiled.

I guess I missed any rumors about Henry Cavill getting the Wolverine gig or did something else spark that cameo after the original comics appearance  accurate short Logan.

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1
(edited)

It was entertaining and managed to avoid overstaying its welcome.
Still, like the 2nd Deadpool, it fell far short of the greatness that was the the first movie. The cinematography and story structure did not push any boundaries.  

Pros:
   It was a nice tribute to the 20th Century Fox era.
   They acknowledged the post-credit time-travel shenanigans from Deadpool 2.
   It seems to the only superhero movie of the summer - and is adult oriented. 

Cons:
   It relied heavily on knowledge of comics, older movies and the Disney+ Loki show.
   If you don't see it within the first few days, you cannot avoid spoilers - almost every entertainment news headline is a spoiler.
   The entire movie feels like a parade of cameos.
    None of the sincere emotional moments landed (We never learn any specifics as to what happened to alt-Wolverine; he is just very sad).

Edited by shrewd.buddha
19 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

None of the sincere emotional moments landed (We never learn any specifics as to what happened to alt-Wolverine; he is just very sad).

Wolverine, being Wolvie left the Mansion to do his own thing (drinking at a bar) and while he was away the Humans (probably friends of humanity) attacked the mansion and killed everyone. 

In his grief, Wolverine went full berserker, killed all the Humans at the mansion and then didn't stop killing, good/bad it didn't matter. He turned the world against the X-Men, proving the anti-mutant movement right.

He felt guilt for letting his friends/family die AND for destroying Charle's dream

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Raja said:

I was surprised that Pyro had such an easy time with Johnny Storm, unfortunately a newsfeed thumbnail spoiled the shock for me.  Along with budget killer Chris Evans, X-23 coming up in a late ad blitz being the only cast aside crew that were spoiled.

He probably shouldn't have (cue complaining about how this isn't true to the comics), but since Chris Evans was there as the butt of some jokes, he had to be defeated in a humiliating fashion.

cue complaining about how this isn't true to the comics

Granted, I don't think they ever met in the comics, but if anyone should have an easy time beating Johnny Storm, it would be Pyro.

29 minutes ago, Palimelon said:

Granted, I don't think they ever met in the comics, but if anyone should have an easy time beating Johnny Storm, it would be Pyro.

I think they nerfed Johnny but since he was there mostly for a gag I was OK with it. I don't recall Pyro being that powerful in the comics but my memory of him was when he was dying from the Legacy Virus

1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

He probably shouldn't have (cue complaining about how this isn't true to the comics), but since Chris Evans was there as the butt of some jokes, he had to be defeated in a humiliating fashion.

I was in an Avengers Endgame audience with the fan boys also doing the "say it" chant. At first you think how did Deadpool know about that before you remember whose movie this is 

8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I am sitting in the theater-AGAIN-this time in 3D, Baby!!!😎🍿😎🍿😎😁

Oh my God, what was it like seeing Hugh’s chest pop out right at you like that?! 😍😍😍😍😍🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵😂😂😂😂

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh my God, what was it like seeing Hugh’s chest pop out right at you like that?! 😍😍😍😍😍🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵😂😂😂😂

OMGEEEEEE.

In Love Hearts GIF

In Love Hearts GIF by MOODMAN

• LOL 5

Oh! And I feel so stupid that I didn’t recognize Ant-Man’s costume as the “head” of Cassandra’s “headquarters” in the void!

The movie is still hilarious the second time ‘round, and I won’t lie, Chris Evans’ Johnny is my favorite cameo! And the end credit as well as him sputtering that he didn’t say all those things before Cassandra reduced him to bloody bones still makes me 🤣🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣😂

And I paid attention and this time round I recognized his voice before he revealed himself.

But bummed I didn’t get the cell phone PSA this time.

And I can’t remember if I mentioned this before, but now I’ll never hear ”You’re the One That I Want” the same way again!😂😂😂

And Hugh’s wonderfully, sculpted, ripped, and glistening abs is what I will see whenever I hear the chorus to Madonna’s  ”Like a Prayer” from now on!

In Love Thank You GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival
In Love Hearts GIF by The Valentines

And after finally watching Loki, I get why he didn’t show up.🤬

But I also rewatched both Deadpool movies, and Juggernaut here looked…smaller somehow, and not as massive.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2024 at 10:36 AM, roughing it said:

Is this something I can watch and understand without seeing any of the previous movies?

When I was watching Clerks 3, it occurred to me that this movie was made exclusively for Kevin Smith fans. If you weren't a Kevin Smith fan, nothing in the movie would make sense and there would be a lot of things that would come across as weird nonsense.

I don't think this movie is quite that bad but it might be close. I'm an MCU superfan but never got into the X-Men movies (other than Logan and of course the previous Deadpools) and I could feel references flying over my head by the dozens. There are certain character introductions that won't mean a thing unless you have been following casting news and cancelled projects going back twenty years. There are jokes that are funny if you know about the history between certain actors but will otherwise be meaningless. There are props and set pieces and costumes and even characters that are a great payoff to fans who have been begging for "comic accurate" since the 2000s but that won't have any impact on a viewer who hasn't seen these things. I'll spoiler code an example that goes deep but has no impact on the plot:

Spoiler

When Deadpool is being interviewed by Happy Hogan, there's an Iron Man mask in the background that looks like a toy. This is because it is a toy, worn by a kid in a previous Iron Man movie (Iron Man 2 IIRC). This kid by Word of God is Peter Parker, aka Spider-Man. The helmet is blocking a photo in the background of Peter Parker with Tony Stark (Iron Man) because in No Way Home, a spell was cast that made everyone forget Peter Parker. There's also the behind-the-scenes reason why they could not show Tom Holland (who plays Spider-Man in the Marvel/Sony movies) - Tom Holland can only appear in so many Marvel movies because Sony still "owns" the rights to the character despite Disney having bought everything else. So if they showed the complete picture, they'd burn up one of their precious few remaining Tom Holland appearances.

Did you get all that? That's for one item with zero plot impact that you can see in the background for about five seconds. The movie is full of these.

All in all, I'd say if you haven't seen the previous movies you might like this one for the action and raunchy humor but you will notice there's a lot of stuff in it that you are supposed to be responding to that will just be weird. I'm curious to know if this did end up being your experience.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And after finally watching Loki, I get why he didn’t show up.🤬

Google and the Easter Egg videos tell me the cloud that I thought was a Green Lantern  reference was actually a Loki reference. With some general culture stuff mixed in what most of worked for me were the callbacks to the cast away comic book movies and their stars from the past 25 years. 

While I feel very good for Channing Tatum showing what his Gambit could have done I do hope they decide he isn't too old for however they will use the X-Men and bring him back. I guess Gambit was in that second generation team in the comics, but then so were the Guardians of the Galaxy used in the movies. 

Part of me wishes that they could have mixed in some of the Marvel TV characters in with the cast aside heroes. So far we only got a more comics accurate Black Bolt from the Inhumans, and he might be considered a movie character due to that limited IMAX release of their first episode.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2024 at 4:43 PM, ApathyMonger said:

Weird that for all the talk of this being Deadpool in the MCU, the <strong>only</strong> scene set in the actual Marvel Cinematic Universe is the Jon Favreau scene at the very start which was completely pointless and doesn't connect to anything at all in the movie.

It was a fun scene, but crucially for the story it provided the impetus for Wade's heroic self-sacrifice at the end. (paraphrased from memory) He did it not because he needed it but because his friends/the world needed him to do it.

On 7/25/2024 at 4:43 PM, ApathyMonger said:

Emma Corrin has fun as Cassandra Nova, up until the third act where they have nobody else to act against, is just doing CGI shit, and it sucks.

For what it's worth, Corrin said that Time Ripper stuff was all or mostly practical. Yes, even as I write that I realize the energy beams were done in post. But y'know, the machine and the cylinder things they grabbed to channel the time power were real props.

On 7/27/2024 at 12:08 PM, Spartan Girl said:

And it took almost 25 years but we finally got Hugh in the yellow suit WITH THE COWL!!!

Honestly, I didn't like the cowl. It was bad enough that I think I have to retract my position that live-action Batman should have opaque white eyes in the mask.

I was spoiled about Chris Evans and his role, and Dafne Keen. I wasn't spoiled about Channing Tatum or Jennifer Garner. And I wasn't spoiled about Wesley Snipes until literally a few minutes before the movie, when I was reading my phone instead of watching car ads. I clicked on some clickbait headline about Alfred Molina's record getting broken, and whoops, spoiler. D'oh.

On 7/27/2024 at 12:08 PM, Spartan Girl said:

“He usually has his shirt off but he’s kind of let himself go since the divorce.” Spoke too soon, asshole, because we got to se the most awesome revenge body ever in the “Like A Prayer” reprise!

That scene reminded me of the discourse from a while back that in just the 13 years from Jackman's first appearance as Logan (2000) to The Wolverine (2013), body standards for male superheroes went from "reasonably buff" to "bulked up and also cut like bodybuilders on competition day", which is a standard even professional bodybuilders can only meet a few days a year.

• Like 1

Deadpool & Wolverine EP Reveals Rejected Sequel Ideas Before Hugh Jackman Signed On
CBR Presents   Jul 27, 2024

Deadpool 3 Was Nearly Shelved Before Last-Minute Phone Call From Hugh Jackman
CBR Presents   Jul 26, 2024

4 hours ago, arc said:

That scene reminded me of the discourse from a while back that in just the 13 years from Jackman's first appearance as Logan (2000) to The Wolverine (2013), body standards for male superheroes went from "reasonably buff" to "bulked up and also cut like bodybuilders on competition day", which is a standard even professional bodybuilders can only meet a few days a year.

This isn't a new phenomenon.  Look at Sylvester Stallone in Rocky I/II, then look at him in Rocky III/IV. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, arc said:

Long before The Boys there was a comic book company at the comics peak that tried to do a what if this really was real as their selling point. The science heads would ask how could Superman build muscles when nothing could provide him resistance.

I'm trying to think back but as memory fails I am now at Chris Evan's Captain America as the oldest lasting memory the first beefcake  without his suit scenes that the MCU really pushes with Captain America and Thor. Where most of the actors were shielded behind the four color costumes or the movie versions  more tactical uniforms with a hint of the comics color.

I remember reading a story of a top Mr. Olympia finalist level body builder who died the night he won a  contest and the conclusion that at that pose off level those guys were on a thin line between life and death with their bodies shutting down from the stress they put themselves under.

This isn't a new phenomenon.  Look at Sylvester Stallone in Rocky I/II, then look at him in Rocky III/IV. 

Of course since Arnold came out of retirement and was awarded Mr. Olympia after training for Conan that year, Stallone and the others actors first , as opposed to retired athletes turned actors, were in catch up mode and a Sean Connery body builder in his era and as fit James Bond was no longer good enough.

15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But I also rewatched both Deadpool movies, and Juggernaut here looked…smaller somehow, and not as massive.

That's because he's based on the Last Stand version, who wasn't abnormally large.

Belated thought: the final win was not that cathartic because the movie took pains to separate the heroes from Cassandra Nova. On the one hand, this lets Wolverine and Deadpool fight to be the self-sacrificing hero, and Cassandra is too powerful to take on head to head* **. And arguably Deadpool's arc, such as it is, is finding a heroic purpose and it's not about defeating Cassandra face to face.

* unless they slap a Juggernaut helmet on her, and they left it behind back in the void

** also though, doesn't she have telepathy like Xavier? Would a mere thing like a floor really stop her from knowing they were right beneath her?

But on the other hand, it still felt a little hollow, like winning on a technicality.

(edited)

I doubt that anyone is worried about consistency in these movies - and everything can be explained away with some multiverse gobbledygook, but this stuck out to me:
  Deadpool's timeline appears to be the same one as the Wolverine movie Logan - isn't that why he digs up his bones at the beginning of the movie?
But in Deadpool  2, it appeared to be the younger Xavier in the X-mansion - - and yet somehow all the events of Logan have transpired without any of Deadpool cast of characters aging at all - - and some of the X-Men are at Wade's birthday party.

If the explanation is that Deadpool used the TVA time-thingy to travel to his timeline's future to dig up Wolverine's bones, then why not use the time-thingy to prevent the events that lead to his death? 

(Answer: so the movie can happen.)

Edited by shrewd.buddha
1 hour ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Deadpool's timeline appears to be the same one as the Wolverine movie Logan - isn't that why he digs up his bones at the beginning of the movie?
But in Deadpool  2, it appeared to be the younger Xavier in the X-mansion - - and yet somehow all the events of Logan have transpired without any of Deadpool cast of characters aging at all - - and some of the X-Men are at Wade's birthday party.

First Class takes place in 1962.  Dark Phoenix takes place in 1992.  Do Xavier, Magneto, and Beast look 30 years older?  Characters looking their age is not a concern for that franchise.

• Like 1

First Class takes place in 1962.  Dark Phoenix takes place in 1992.  Do Xavier, Magneto, and Beast look 30 years older?  Characters looking their age is not a concern for that franchise.

Seriously. As stated above, in First Class, Stryker was some late 50s/maybe early 60s dude/actor, and that was in 1962. In Days of Future Past, 10 years LATER, when Logan goes back to find Charles and Erik, he was 30 years younger. Try and explain THAT. You can't, so you just gotta go with the flow, as I do with the timey-wimey shenanigans. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seriously. As stated above, in First Class, Stryker was some late 50s/maybe early 60s dude/actor, and that was in 1962. In Days of Future Past, 10 years LATER, when Logan goes back to find Charles and Erik, he was 30 years younger. Try and explain THAT. You can't, so you just gotta go with the flow, as I do with the timey-wimey shenanigans

The guy in First Class was William Stryker's dad (Charles mentions he was thinking about his son). 

• Useful 1

The guy in First Class was William Stryker's dad (Charles mentions he was thinking about his son). 

But William Stryker also had a son who was a mutant. It's all moot at this point.

(edited)

D&W's box office numbers are incredible...

Box Office: ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ Zooms to $97M Record-Making Second Weekend, Hits $824M Globally
By Pamela McClintock   August 4, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/deadpool-and-wolverine-box-office-record-second-weekend-1235965690/ 

Deadpool & Wolverine continued make box office history and obliterate more records in its sophomore outing, zooming to a better-than-expected $97 million domestically — the eighth biggest second weekend of all time and the fifth biggest for an MCU title — for a 10-day North American total of $395.6 million. It fell a scant 53 percent, a notable feat.

Overseas was just as marvelous. The Marvel Studios and Disney tentpole earned another $110.5 million for a foreign tally of $428.5 million and $824.1 million. (Get ready for Deadpool & Wolverine to its membership card to the billion-dollar box office club within a matter of days.)
M. Night Shyamalan‘s Trap, starring Josh Hartnett, is opening in third place with an estimated $15.6 million, in line with expectations. Warner Bros. is distributing the thriller, which is battling generally meh reviews and a C+ CinemaScore.

Edited by tv echo

I saw it last weekend. It was fun. Aside from some nagging dangling questions (like whether we'll see Deadpool in a MCU movie down the line since his world exists separately from it), it was worth the price of admission.

Every year during Comic-Con, Cartoon Art Museum gets artists to take commissions. The last thing I ordered requested Deadpool using Logan's metal-coated skull and spine as a weapon. You could have taken out the "Bye Bye Bye" stuff and it still would have been hilarious. It never occurred to me that Wolverine's bones could be used as lethal weapons. When I get the commission, I'll post it here.

On 8/1/2024 at 10:58 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

Wolverine, being Wolvie left the Mansion to do his own thing (drinking at a bar) and while he was away the Humans (probably friends of humanity) attacked the mansion and killed everyone. 

In his grief, Wolverine went full berserker, killed all the Humans at the mansion and then didn't stop killing, good/bad it didn't matter. He turned the world against the X-Men, proving the anti-mutant movement right.

He felt guilt for letting his friends/family die AND for destroying Charle's dream

That felt wrong to me. A bunch of "regular" people stormed the heavily-fortified mansion and took out all the X-Men? I kept expecting a plot point to be borrowed from the "Old Man Logan" story . . . basically, the supervillains took over the world by teaming up, a bunch of illusion-based people like Mysterio and Mastermind got the drop on Logan, and he wound up killing the X-Men because his senses were fooled to make him think he was ripping into the bad guys. Logan stepping away to get drunk and coming back to a massacre just feels wrong to me.

(edited)

Who won at the box office this weekend? The Reynolds-Lively household
BY JAKE COYLE   August 11, 2024
https://apnews.com/article/blake-lively-ryan-reynolds-box-office-ends-with-us-deadpool-b5d25319d02489aa1c3b7bf2a786e5d7 

Reynolds’ Marvel Studios smash “Deadpool & Wolverine” remained the top movie in North American theaters for the third straight week with $54.2 million in ticket sales according to studio estimates Sunday. Worldwide, it’s now surpassed $1 billion. “Deadpool & Wolverine,” though, was closely followed by “It Ends With Us,” the romance drama starring Lively, which surpassed expectations with a stellar $50 million debut.

Together, the films created a kind of family edition of “Barbenheimer,” in which a pair of very different movies thrived in part due to counterprogramming. Only this time, the opposite movies were fronted by one of Hollywood’s most famous couples. The films’ one-two punch wasn’t entirely unprecedented. In 1990, Bruce Willis’ “Die Hard 2” led the box office while Demi Moore’s “Ghost” came in second.
The weekend also featured a high-priced flop. “Borderlands,” the long-delayed $120-million videogame adaptation directed by Eli Roth, launched with a paltry $8.8 million for Lionsgate. The film, starring Cate Blanchett, Kevin Hart and Jack Black, was shot all the way back in 2021. After delays and reshoots, it finally landed in theaters effectively dead-on-arrival; it scored just 10% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and seems likely contend for one of the worst movies of the year.

‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ Struts Past $1B Global Box Office; Soon To Become Biggest R-Rated Movie Ever Worldwide
By Nancy Tartaglione    August 11, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/08/deadpool-wolverine-1-billion-global-box-office-1236037206/

UPDATED: Deadpool & Wolverine has officially crossed the $1B global box office milestone this weekend, with $1.029B+ through Sunday. The international box office portion of the Marvel/Disney marvel is $535.2M and domestic is $494.3M, adding up to a total $1,029.5M. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Well, this is a bummer. I got the soundtrack from iTunes, and was bopping away in my car, listening, and then realized..."Like A Prayer" wasn't included! Did Madonna refuse to let it be included in the soundtrack, but let them use if for the movie? And here I was getting ready to imagine Wade and Logan, especially LOGAN at the end, while listening to the song.

It was extra--but only the ending soundtrack, whatever that means, and I suspect not the full song. Dammit.

Really, Madonna?

ETA: Yup. She wouldn't allow it.

Madonna said No to Like a Prayer on DeadPool & Wolverine Soundtrack.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And here I was getting ready to imagine Wade and Logan, especially LOGAN at the end

I was kind of mad at Deadpool when he handed Logan a shirt and told him to put his "greasy tits" away.

• LOL 2