Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: The Road Home, Part 1

• Start Topic

1706696774_header.jpg

A traitor turning on the survivors leads to a deadly confrontation as they're shocked to learn where Eve has been taken.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, February 6, 2024     NBC    9 pm

Good grief, this story just gets more stupid and convoluted at every turn. How lucky these time portals just seem to appear whenever they are needed. Are some stable and permanent? Why did the one they found in 2022 close while this one in 10,000 BC stays open? How are they being created? Maia is running around saying she needs Scott's paper to master time travel yet they seem to have already mastered it. 

Where did this laptop come from, does anyone remember? How did nobody on the council ever notice the wooden trap door under the thin rug? 

How do Scott and Galvin think they recognize some specific spot in 10,000 BC, like the entire landscape wouldn't have changed in 10,000 years? Even the ground would be different.

Ruth left the compound saying she was going to meet with another tribe. There are other tribes? Where are they? How do all these tribes not know about this military base with helicopters and jeeps flying and driving all around? 

Where did they get that raft?

So much stupid. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

The CGI this episode was so bad -- that giant alligator was ridiculous.
And where exactly did they get that raft ?

With exactly 1 episode, still no sign of Riley, Josh, or Eve.  Are they all going to pull a Poochy and die on the back to their home planet ?

Despite the microchip being so incredibly valuable, people kept taking it out of it's case and waving it around like it was a credit card -- I'd be surprised if it still worked.

Still no explanation of what is creating the double auroras.

And no explanation of why so many dinosaurs came through the portals -- though we didn't see any dinos this episode.

It was interesting that Landera air base had a landing strip but no planes -- just helicopters.

So, when Eve disappeared into the portal in last season's final episode she didn't actually go anywhere in time -- just ended up in Landera air base.  That's disappointing.

"It's a gunshot wound."  Why, thank you, Dr. Obvious.  In all the confusion and noise of the gunfight, I never would have made that diagnosis.

I was hoping the encryption password would be 12345.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

"It's a gunshot wound."  Why, thank you, Dr. Obvious.  In all the confusion and noise of the gunfight, I never would have made that diagnosis.

Why am I bothering to explain clunky lines? 
IDK.
Anyway, here goes:
The "It's a gunshot wound" line was to announce with certainty that the arrow that Izzy shot that killed the soldier who shot Levi did not also kill Uncle Levi. 

But, yeah, that was obvious.

Maybe Izzy’s new skill as an archer will wind up saving the world in the finale?

Thank goodness we only have one more episode.

Is the director constantly telling Maya: "One more evil smile, please"?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

LOL. What I think he actually said was "It's a gut shot." Which would have been equally obvious. 

11 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Still no explanation of what is creating the double auroras.

Yeah. When Elena led them to the one in 2022, she said they had to hurry before it closed. So does it appear and reappear at odd intervals? How did she know it would be there if sometimes it isn't? Is it like Brigadoon and appears every 100 years for a day?

She also said the blue side led to 10,000 BC and the red side led to 1965, right? So if you're already in 10,000 BC where does the blue side lead to? Back to 2022?

WTF happened to Gavin's father, James? Last I remember he was sitting in a hut in Paara's camp. It doesn't make any sense that he and his company (?) had this enormous tower with a portal that could take you anywhere in time, but at the same time there's this pseudo military base trying to figure out how time travel works even though they seem to be doing pretty well with it already. Why weren't they going after the tower?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Who knows how much time has supposedly passed but I'm really happy for everyone there that the potato power keeps charging that laptop ! Geez, whenever I buy a couple of potatoes and leave them on the counter, they start drying out within a day or 2. Maybe they are super potatoes ? And I'm also glad they have a laundry facility there, keeping all their clothes looking nice and clean. 

That's all I got.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 5
18 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So, when Eve disappeared into the portal in last season's final episode she didn't actually go anywhere in time -- just ended up in Landera air base.  That's disappointing.

My thought was she did go somewhere, but that it was to somewhere Maya had an operation and she took Eve back to 10,000 BC?

I guess we will find out next week, but it is looking like Natalie Zea's "reduced screentime" actually is going to translate to 5 minutes at the end of the episode. 

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

WTF happened to Gavin's father, James? Last I remember he was sitting in a hut in Paara's camp. It doesn't make any sense that he and his company (?) had this enormous tower with a portal that could take you anywhere in time, but at the same time there's this pseudo military base trying to figure out how time travel works even though they seem to be doing pretty well with it already. Why weren't they going after the tower?

Didn't someone kill him? I can't even remember

• Like 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, willco said:

Maybe they are super potatoes ?

Where did they even get the potatoes? They don't grow wild. Are we to assume Paara's group is farming potatoes? They aren't native to SoCal. Especially in 10,000 BC. Maybe some early ancestor of what we know today as potatoes, but these looked like modern Idaho Russets. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1

This show feels like they just make $hit up as they go along LOL. Has anyone tried binge watching this show from beginning to end? There was always so much time in between seasons that I never actually remembered what had previously happened so I was able to hand wave a lot of the ridiculousness. But I wonder if you watch all the episodes back to back in a shorter timeframe if the show would actually make some sense. I doubt it, but it would be interesting to see. 

Anyway, kind of curious to see how they wrap it up. Will we finally see Eve, Riley and Josh? Will they get back to 2021? LOL

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GiandujaPie said:

But I wonder if you watch all the episodes back to back in a shorter timeframe if the show would actually make some sense. I doubt it, but it would be interesting to see. 

Well, you couldn't pay me enough to rewatch the first two seasons. But I can tell you I did a deep dive on YouTube recaps before this season started to make sure I remembered everything and they have really swept a lot of stuff under the rug. It's like they are trying to pretend the whole arc with James and the tower never happened. This bit they've got going on now with this military base and this black ops group trying to control time travel has absolutely zero to do with the first two seasons and doesn't make any sense at all given what we've been told so far. 

Best guess, this may have been something they had in the back of their minds to wind up the story way down the road, and when they found out they were only getting six more episodes to finish the show they just jumped to that part. But you can tell all the different character beats they had on the back burner are getting thrown into the mix right and left, like Ty's ex and this new love interest for Izzy. There's just WAY too much going on when there's only six episodes to finish a series.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Did the tower get blown up? 

It did. I believe Levi blew it up. Maybe?

Far be it from me to defend this show, but they did explain about the raft. Ty said the villagers kept some down by the stream, river, whatever the heck it was. My question was why they thought they were gonna get anywhere faster using it as slowly as they were moving. They should've just walked.

This show could've been so good, but it's just another high concept premise the showrunners didn't know what to do with beyond the first few eps. Six episodes to finish it all up and we need new characters like Gavin's sister and all that drama? She looks so much like Izzy, when she first appeared I thought maybe she was an aged-up Izzy who got lost somehow in another time. I would've like that better, I think. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Fellaway said:

This show could've been so good, but it's just another high concept premise the showrunners didn't know what to do with

Maybe this show suffered from behind-the-scenes creative differences like the one-season show Flashforward, which was “based loosely on the novel” of the same title (wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashforward_(novel)#TV_adaptation).

I had read the novel Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer judge before the TV show version was announced, and after reading his intriguing Mindscan.

Anyhoo, I recall book author Sawyer and the TV show creators worked together but not well. While La Brea has survived much longer, it seems to suffer from the same “too many cooks spoil the broth” syndrome.

Maybe the difference in show longevity is due to marijuana being legal now, so there’s less hostility on set? That’s purely a guess on my part, but the only other explanation would be someone with too much money and too little vision bankrolling the show.

I've seen some train wrecks of a show, but this one is pretty far up ( or down ) the list. So much of the story seems undoubtedly compromised with the various cast availability issues that seemed to crop up and probably budget cuts due to the strike  - Eve, Josh, whats her name( daughter of doctor dude ) , Levi.  Parra " she's visiting another village". Um, yeah, sure. Whatever. Throw in civilians with pistols dropping trained soldiers with single shots and whatever other plot armor they felt like piling on; the writers room must be like  WDGAF, we're getting paid for one more ep, what are they gonna do, fire us ?

I don't think the finale - aka lets wrap this train wreck up - is longer than the usual 42 minutes of actual air time. So they're gonnna shoe horn in all these missing characters and resolve the entire plot in one ep ? LOL. 

My early predictions - some will stay behind. Izzy will stay with ner new Xena GF, so will ex drug dealer and his new wife/baby.  Eve and Gavin can now reunite back in the present without poor Levi getting in the way. Scott I can see going either way. Ty will probably stay with Parra in dino-land. Isn't he terminally ill ? I forgot; the writers probably did too. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Msample said:

…My early predictions - some will stay behind. Izzy will stay with ner new Xena GF, so will ex drug dealer and his new wife/baby.  Eve and Gavin can now reunite back in the present without poor Levi getting in the way. Scott I can see going either way. Ty will probably stay with Parra in dino-land. Isn't he terminally ill ? I forgot; the writers probably did too. 

Unless they've decided to forget that Izzy (and the actor who plays her) has a very high-tech prosthetic leg, I would imagine she and her soul mate would go to the 2020s — although maybe not if 10K BC is more accepting of different kinds of pairings.

Ty was healed by some sort of magic/advanced-biotech/extinct herb concoction.
But he didn't tell his ex about it in the last episode, so who knows?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ty was healed by some sort of magic/advanced-biotech/extinct herb concoction.

James was giving him pills (!) to treat his condition but was only doling them out one at a time (I think in exchange for info or something?). Once the tower blew up, his pill supply was cut off. So whether or not he was "cured" is up in the air. But again, the writers seem to have swept the entire tower arc under the rug.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I am sure some will stay behind, but I am sure the whole family of Eve, Gavin, Izzy, and Josh will be re-united. They have been talking about wanting the family together since episode 1.

• Like 1

I can’t see how they are going to get home in 42 minutes.   But then I couldn’t see how Manifest was going to get straightened out in 42 minutes either.  And they also went off the grid in their last season, along with Lost. 

I just don’t understand stand why final seasons have to stray so far from the existing storylines.    We are supposed to believe that two separate entities had advanced time travel and portals for decades… and just happened to locate their bases within a couple hours walk in 10,000BC … and weren’t aware of each other?  Of course, Helena somehow knew about both.  Even though Gavin seems to have amnesia. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1

I think Gavin is going to wake up at the end of the final episode, the past seasons all a dream.  I always go back to the Bob Newhart show.  Actually it was genius.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3