Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 2/5/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, Feb. 5 – Joy-Ann Reid (author, “Medgar and Myrlie”)

Tuesday, Feb. 6 – Co-hosts’ Favorite Things Under $50: Valentine’s Day Edition

Wednesday, Feb. 7 – Sheryl Lee Ralph (ABC’s “Abbott Elementary”); Dylan Sprouse (“Beautiful Wedding”)

Thursday, Feb. 8 – Jon Cryer (“Extended Family”); WNBA player A’ja Wilson (author, “Dear Black Girls”)

Friday, Feb. 9 – Co-hosts’ Super Snackdown, with favorite Super Bowl snack recipes

• Thanks 1

I really, really need them to hire a research/fact check intern or something because the Grammy discussion was such a mess. 

First you have Sarah going on about how she felt that the Black Artist award the Grammys had in the 80s was ridiculous and look how far we've come in that Jay-Z won a Global Impact Award last night...only she seemed completely unaware that the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award is a black artist award, it just has a fancier title (and I'm assuming is kind of a lifetime achievement sort of thing) and no one corrected her one this.  

Then there's Whoopi declaring that Joni Mitchell had never won a Grammy when in fact Mitchell has 10 Grammys and last night marked the first time she performed at the Grammys (which they did at least correct but it's a mistake that shouldn't have been made in the first place).

They have a morning meeting where they go over all the topics of the day and everyone's talking points so why oh why are these things not corrected then?  

• Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

Anna becomes more insufferable by the day & is even starting to catch Sunny in the look at me, I'm always right, name dropping stakes.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

This past week, I read an article about midi dresses going out of style.  I noticed four of the five hosts (not Whoopi of course) walked out with midi dresses.  I wonder if they were making a statement, lol.  Seriously, I guess it was just a coincidence since Sunny and Ana seem to prefer midi dresses, and Sara wears them off and on.  Alyssa usually opts for a shorter style, but opted for a midi today.  They all looked nice.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I really, really need them to hire a research/fact check intern or something because the Grammy discussion was such a mess. 

First you have Sarah going on about how she felt that the Black Artist award the Grammys had in the 80s was ridiculous and look how far we've come in that Jay-Z won a Global Impact Award last night...only she seemed completely unaware that the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award is a black artist award, it just has a fancier title (and I'm assuming is kind of a lifetime achievement sort of thing) and no one corrected her one this.  

Sarah was correct.  The Dr. Dre Global Impact Award is NOT a Black artist award.   It pays tribute to any artist who has used their platform to give back, past just the musical medium.  

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Alyssa usually opts for a shorter style, but opted for a midi today.  They all looked nice.  

Was Alyssa wearing the same dress as a couple of weeks ago when Whoopi asked her is that was see-thru?

37 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Sarah was correct.  The Dr. Dre Global Impact Award is NOT a Black artist award.   It pays tribute to any artist who has used their platform to give back, past just the musical medium.  

Ah, I see.  When I read that the award was for "Black music creators", I took that to mean black musical artists, when it means artists in either jazz, hip hop, rap, r&b, etc.  Gotcha.  

5 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Was Alyssa wearing the same dress as a couple of weeks ago when Whoopi asked her is that was see-thru?

It looked similar, but IIRC, the previous dress was a different color, I think.

• Useful 1

THANK YOU, Joy and Whoopi, for FINALLY challenging Alyssa about who she thinks the Dems should replace Biden with. That’s been making me crazy. Glad the others chimed in too. 

• Like 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

THANK YOU, Joy and Whoopi, for FINALLY challenging Alyssa about who she thinks the Dems should replace Biden with. That’s been making me crazy. Glad the others chimed in too. 

The problem for me was that they wouldn't listen when she tried to name some names, they kept interrupting her before she finished saying who she thought could be a potential candidate. I think that Alyssa's point was that it does seem like the Democrats haven't considered finding anyone who could win against Donald Trump, and just because Biden won once doesn't automatically mean he'll be able to do it again. 

Edited by KittyQ
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Eh, I think Alyssa has a point.  A lot of people just voted for Biden because they didn't want to vote for Trump, not because they thought Biden was so great, so I do think her "a potato could have beat Trump" analogy is correct.  This time around, I don't think people will vote for Trump over Biden, but I think there will be a lot of votes for third party candidates and a lot of people who will just skip out on voting overall because they're fed up with both choices.  

• Like 9

She only named Gretchen Whitmer who has not expressed any interest in running. Sunny and Joy mentioned other names and why they are not good candidates. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Eh, I think Alyssa has a point.  A lot of people just voted for Biden because they didn't want to vote for Trump, not because they thought Biden was so great, so I do think her "a potato could have beat Trump" analogy is correct. 

I'm not so sure.   The reason why Biden won the nomination, was because it was perceived that he was the only one who could be Trump.  People were concerned about his age, and tendency for verbal gaffs even then.  There were 10+ running on the democratic side most of them perfectly qualified for the job.       I'm not confident that Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren would have beaten Trump, which makes Biden more than a potato 🙂

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Haleth said:

She only named Gretchen Whitmer who has not expressed any interest in running.

In March 2023 both CBS Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes ran glowing stories about Whitmer and her work as governor.  Politicians don't start a PR campaign for no reason. It led some to believe, like myself, that she was laying the groundwork for a run for the ticket.  Biden didn't say he was going to run until April 2023.  During that month, I suspect there was some DNC tomfoolery in GW backing down and JB going all in.

If they're going to challenge Alyssa, then they need to let her speak without interruption. Too many times she'll start to give her opinion, and within 10 seconds (or less) Sunny is saying "nope" and/or begins to talk over her. 

Quite frankly, I don't know how Alyssa can stand them some days. 

• Like 11

I'll give Sunny her "nopes" because she's already heard the trite talking points that Alyssa is about to repeat.  (I do like Alyssa in general and feel she's the best host they've had to represent the other end of the political spectrum and I'm glad she can hold her own when everyone is disagreeing with her.  I disagree with her too but appreciate the lively conversation.)

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Quite frankly, I don't know how Alyssa can stand them some days. 

I just told my friend a few days ago Alyssa is the only one who hasn't been annoying me lately.

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

(I do like Alyssa in general and feel she's the best host they've had to represent the other end of the political spectrum and I'm glad she can hold her own when everyone is disagreeing with her.  I disagree with her too but appreciate the lively conversation.)

I also disagree with a lot of her beliefs but she doesn't have the rah rah root for my team no matter what personality most women who sat in the seat had. She doesn't strike me as someone who's life is defined by her political party.

• Like 10
19 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'll give Sunny her "nopes" because she's already heard the trite talking points that Alyssa is about to repeat. 

IMO, it's still rude. How many talking points has Sunny repeated without any interference? Especially her "twice impeached, etc." mantra. Talk about trite!

My point is that Alyssa was brought on to give her POV. There's only so many ways she can verbalize that same View, so Sunny needs to zip it with the "nopes".

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
8 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

My point is that Alyssa was brought on to give her POV. There's only so many ways she can verbalize that same View, so Sunny needs to zip it with the "nopes".

Sunny seems to do the most interrupting, but Whoopi also jumps in before someone finishes talking. I noticed this today when Chris Christie was trying to make his points about Joe Biden - Whoopi wouldn't let him finish his sentences before she started praising Biden. It's as if she (and some of the other panel members) can't see any other POV or believe that other people's criticisms of Biden have any bearing. I'm not that crazy about Christie, but he's got a lot of experience and I think he had some valid points to make. Let the man speak and then rebut if you've got facts that contradict him, but stop talking over anyone who isn't singing Biden's praises. An informed public can stand to hear opposing viewpoints. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Let the man speak and then rebut if you've got facts that contradict him, but stop talking over anyone who isn't singing Biden's praises. An informed public can stand to hear opposing viewpoints. 

Right, it's not as if someone's going to say "You know, I was a [Biden or Trump] supporter, but after hearing what Chris Christie said, I now support [Biden or Trump]"  That's never going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Sunny was very quiet today & not her usual look at me self. 

As for Christie I thought the only person interrupting him was Joy after he said Biden was too old at 82 which really pissed her off as she took it as an insult to her because she is the same age as Biden & she was like a dog with a bone trying to get him to backtrack on the comment which to his credit he wouldn't do.

• Like 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Sunny seems to do the most interrupting, but Whoopi also jumps in before someone finishes talking. I noticed this today when Chris Christie was trying to make his points about Joe Biden - Whoopi wouldn't let him finish his sentences before she started praising Biden. It's as if she (and some of the other panel members) can't see any other POV or believe that other people's criticisms of Biden have any bearing. I'm not that crazy about Christie, but he's got a lot of experience and I think he had some valid points to make. Let the man speak and then rebut if you've got facts that contradict him, but stop talking over anyone who isn't singing Biden's praises. An informed public can stand to hear opposing viewpoints. 

8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Right, it's not as if someone's going to say "You know, I was a [Biden or Trump] supporter, but after hearing what Chris Christie said, I now support [Biden or Trump]"  That's never going to happen.

8 hours ago, Shrek said:

Sunny was very quiet today & not her usual look at me self. 

As for Christie I thought the only person interrupting him was Joy after he said Biden was too old at 82 which really pissed her off as she took it as an insult to her because she is the same age as Biden & she was like a dog with a bone trying to get him to backtrack on the comment which to his credit he wouldn't do.

I agree with all of your posts!  Joy, whom I normally adore, really annoyed me today.  I understand she has a different opinion than Chris Christie, but the way she threw her pen down on her notecards was kind of disrespectful - especially because Joy was not giving Christie a chance to explain his reasons behind his comments about President Biden.

It is usually Sunny who is the one who won't let the "opposing" side finish a thought, let alone a sentence, but Christie had to endure both Joy and Whoopi, as Sara was her usual self and Sunny was unusually quiet and subdued.

I understand that Joy took Christie's comments about Biden's age personally as she is the same age as Biden, but she shouldn't have.  Christie was right when he said to Joy that she isn't running the country.   Biden's age (and Trump's, for that matter) is a big concern for many, many voters.  

While I respect their devotion and strong belief in President Biden, other people are allowed to have differing opinions and those should be met with respect, even if they don't agree.

I sometimes get very frustrated with Joy, Sunny and Whoopi with this stuff.  They will drag certain "news" show hosts for only presenting or supporting one opinion, but they do the exact same thing.  They are all very close-minded to hearing anything that may be a differing opinion than they hold.  Having Alyssa there doesn't balance things out, especially since they interrupt and clap back at her without letting her finish her comments so often.  Alyssa takes it all well, though - she must have developed a pretty thick skin in her last place of employment, LOL! 

I'm usually in agreement with what Joy says, but today, I felt she was unprofessional and disrespectful to someone who came on the show with good intentions (oh - and, of course, to promote his new book).  I'm not a big fan of Chris Christie, but at least he's a Republican who has finally grown a backbone, speaks with some semblance of common sense and treats everyone respectfully.  

The View used to be about all different "views", with lively, respectful conversation (barring a few very glaring exceptions and removing the entire time that Alyssa's predecessor sat in that chair).  Now, it's become a show that if you don't agree with Whoopi, Sunny and Joy, you're dismissed, disrespected and argued with.  

I think the only two people from the "opposing" side these women are respectful toward have been Adam Kinzinger and Liz Cheney.  At least those are the only ones I can recall.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 3
  • Applause 10

njbchlover, you said it so perfectly, I can't add anything to your post except to say I echo every word.  Alyssa is more and more becoming my favorite on the show not because I agree with her policy opinions (I don't), but because she respects all the guests and lets them talk, not just the ones she agrees with.

• Like 6

I found the segment with the ladies making their Super Bowl treats very entertaining, for some reason, it just made me laugh out loud & Sarah munching down on everything.  And I loved Sarah's sweatshirt :)

• Like 3
(edited)

I was surprised at Sunny’s reaction to the special prosecutor’s report. As a former federal prosecutor (as she constantly reminds us) she didn’t question why he included judgments outside his area of expertise and outside the investigation. Thankfully Ana, the other attorney, brought up these points.

Also a surprise?  Joy’s SB meal wasn’t a lasagna. 🤣

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I found the segment with the ladies making their Super Bowl treats very entertaining, for some reason, it just made me laugh out loud & Sarah munching down on everything.  And I loved Sarah's sweatshirt :)

I thought the segment was fun, too.  Interesting to see who actually has "in the kitchen" knowledge (Joy), those who have basic skills and can follow a recipe from the back of a jar/can (Sara, Alyssa and to a lesser degree, Sunny), and those who have no skills whatsoever (Anna).  

I was surprised to hear that Joy doesn't like anything too spicy - I always imagined that she would be an adventurous eater.  Maybe she just can't handle the spicy things anymore?  

Alyssa was wearing the same sweatshirt as Sara, only in black.  I've seen lots of different styles of Superbowl apparel with that same theme.  

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Haleth said:

What did Joy’s sweatshirt say?  “I just hope both teams …”?

"...have fun." Very on brand for Joy, lol.

Screenshot_20240209-162632.png

• Like 3

I think this week is where Alyssa's game up to this point finally reached the end of the road, so to speak. Up until now, she's lectured the others about how they need to support X candidate of her "team" if they really want to stop Trump and used that tack on repeat to try to back Sunny, Whoopi, and others into a corner so that they can't criticize certain figures that Alyssa was rooting for for her own benefit (helping her "team" win, in other words). Now that phase is over and the shoe is on the other foot, and she refuses to do anything but criticize the only person who could stop Trump at this point. I'd say she's being hypocritical, but really it's more that her spiel the past year was a calculated pretense from the jump. She may be a little better at disguising it than others in that chair, but she's a shill through and through and I think Joy at least woke up to that this past Monday's show and in the Christie interview the other day. It's the same reason Alyssa takes every opportunity to push at the age of the others because she's hoping focusing on their age might help push one or more of them out the door (ie, another "win" for her "team"). Thankfully, I think Whoopi, Sunny, and Ana have all had her number for a while now (Sunny from Day 1), but I think Joy at least really did try to meet her half way until now and treat her like someone who was arguing in good faith. Unfortunately, Sara fell for it all hook, line, and sinker--and even she agreed with the other ladies this week that it's pretty much down to Biden and Trump now.

Haven't posted in a while, but I still watch daily. The show is great besides Alyssa and Sara, and even they I like every once in a while even if it's pretty obvious most days that the dynamic of the show is the two of them and Teta versus the others. Like last week when they made Joy legally "correct" herself for calling a muppet a puppet. *eyeroll* That had to be the nadir. On the other hand, Sunny seems to be the only one willing to correct Sara or Alyssa when they're inaccurate, good for her; you can tell Teta has the behind-the-scenes folks looking at the others under a microscope and giving the two of them a pass. I got a chuckle out of Ana saying the only reason she and Joy do the podcast is to torture Teta.

The show is still as good as it ever was when Joy is there, but I do like Sunny and Ana, too, even though they have their foibles and I disagree with them more often than with Joy (like when Sunny was pushing Gavin Newsom this week). Surprisingly, I feel like I've come full circle with Whoopi. For a while there, I really didn't like her because of everything in the two Rosie's season and the years after with Raven, McCain, and so on; I feel like I've finally come around to enjoying her again, about as much as I did when she first started. What changed it for me is I can tell she's been trying to help Sunny this season because of the way Alyssa was going at her (particularly during Oct/Nov last year), it was kind of shocking to me considering the tension between Whoopi and Sunny in the past. I thought it was kind of sweet to see Whoopi try to shield Sunny from her, they seem like they're real friends these days whereas I didn't believe that in seasons past. Whoopi, Joy, Sunny, and Ana together give me the same vibes as Whoopi, Joy, and Sherri used to as far as they all seem like genuine friends who look forward to seeing each other (more or less) every morning.

Re:The neverending "interrupting" debates--I don't think Alyssa interrupts per se. More like she does this high energy thing where she makes sure she speaks more often than the others. She speaks before the others most of the time (except when Joy goes first), occasionally underspeaks while the others are speaking, and then speaks again after most of the others are done, then grins at the camera or giggles in a condescending way like Jedidiah used to do while the others speak. If it wasn't for Whoopi or Joy being the moderator guaranteeing they have to speak last, I feel like she'd make sure she has the "final word" in every discussion.

I thought Joy was right for not letting the ageism go. It is strange that it's one of the few -ism's that aren't treated with equal weight or fervor. I know Alyssa in particularly made some kind of ageist insult against her co-hosts just a week ago, but then will try to turn around and pretend like she cares about anti-Semitism or sexism on another day. If you don't care about one, it's pretty hard to buy you care about the others. But for me she's always been someone who argues in bad faith.

Personally, I'm happy Joy, Whoopi, and Sunny have a proper back-and-forth with the guests. This is The View, not CNN. This show has always been known for those interactions. I wouldn't want it to become a show that refuses to hold people accountable for their statements or react to the crazy things they say (like Christie falsely equivocating old age with Trump the way he did) out of the sake of a faux politeness because that would make the show into something different than what it has been for two decades. Thankfully Joy, Whoopi, Sunny, and Ana all know this show well-enough by now to know what The View is and should be, and what not to change.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2