Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/15/2024

• Start Topic

Monday, Jan. 15 – “The View” celebrates Martin Luther King Jr. Day; Colman Domingo (“Rustin”); Yusef Salaam, member of the Exonerated Five and New York City’s 9th City Council District representative; a performance from Broadway’s “The Wiz” with Nichelle Lewis

Tuesday, Jan. 16 – ABC News chief Washington correspondent Jonathan Karl (co-anchor, “This Week with George Stephanopoulos”; author, “Tired of Winning”)

Wednesday, Jan. 17 – Daytime Exclusive: “The Political View” with Vice President Kamala Harris live in studio

Thursday, Jan. 18 – Clive Owen (“Monsieur Spade”); Tim Alberta (author, “The Kingdom, the Power and the Glory”)

Friday, Jan. 19 – Jodie Foster joined by Kali Reis (“True Detective”)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

I know she's speaking extemporaneously, but Whoopi's speeches need to be more internally consistent. Everyone applauded when she talked about Black History month, but by the end, I couldn't tell whether she thought there should be a "Black History" month or if it should be subsumed into general "American History" because calling it out separately doesn't necessarily place contributions of black people into the larger context of the country's history. She seemed to make points in both directions.

I really enjoyed the Colman Domingo segment. I'd only seen him in Fear the Walking Dead, so it was good to see him in a different role. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Yes, me too about Colman. He was terrific in that show so I’m happy to see he’s having a lot of success (and nominations) on the big screen. 

So Joy has her Elisabeth Hasselbeck clueless white woman moment on today's show. Not a good look, Joy. It really changed my opinion of her. She may have aged well but what a cold fucking heart. 

On Monday's show I loved what Sunny said: When you've been used to privilege, equality feels like oppression.  I've never thought about it that way before but she's right on point!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

So Joy has her Elisabeth Hasselbeck clueless white woman moment on today's show. Not a good look, Joy. It really changed my opinion of her. She may have aged well but what a cold fucking heart. 

Context? 

• Like 2

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/view-host-joy-behar-scoffs-174919649.html

While I don't agree with Joy on everything, I think she's not completely wrong here. It is a challenging time for everyone, not just young people, but it is hardly the worst time that people had to endure (Depression, Civil War, WW I and II, just to highlight some difficult times here in the US), and the answer is not to dwell on the unfairness of it all, but to be resilient and do what you have to do to survive and later prosper. I think Joy's comment is shorthand for that. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
(edited)

Joy’s tirade was more “get off my lawn” old lady crankiness than Elizabeth’s cold heartedness. I rolled my eyes about Gen Zers fearing losing their looks at 30 too. 

4 hours ago, Shrek said:

Sarah spent so long trying to justify why Iowans appear so stupid.

But only 3% of Iowans. 😄. (Or whatever the % was.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

So Joy has her Elisabeth Hasselbeck clueless white woman moment on today's show. Not a good look, Joy.

I read this comment before I had a chance to watch today's show. And when I did, I didn't realize the issue was Joy's comment on Gen Z until I came back to the board and saw the link to yahoo.

Adult Gen Zs (18 - 27 yrs old) were born between 1997 and 2006. The oldest of them turned 18 in 2015, and the youngest are only 12 today. Although they are huge in numbers (27% of today's population) it's much too soon to evaluate them.

It's annoying when members of different generations snipe at each other (OK, Boomer) but I think Joy's point was that no one should expect to get their future handed to them on a silver platter.

• Like 7

I think Joy is just the type who never worries about much in life.  She takes life as it comes and doesn't stress about things.  I envy people like that.  I've been a worrier most of my adult life, as was my mother.  (I remember worrying about things in my teen years, but not nearly as much as in later years.)  So I can empathize with those teens who are worried about the future.  Heck, I'm worried about the future as well (WWIII 😬) and I'm in my sixties.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 1
5 minutes ago, js9548 said:

I wonder if Alyssa is wearing red on purpose with the VP there.

Of course, she has to fly her colors. Not that anyone cares about a dress color unless it looks like crap on her or doesn't suit her.

I would like to point out that Madam Vice President is giving speeches at the table. However, I do envy the verbal skill and memory of American politicians. 

I would have liked to see more segments with Jonathan Karl yesterday. 

21 minutes ago, Glitches said:

I would like to point out that Madam Vice President is giving speeches at the table. However, I do envy the verbal skill and memory of American politicians. 

Don't all politicians do that wherever they are including in court ?

• Like 3

Re: Nikki Haley discussion - Sunny made the most salient point which is that the question suggested a binary condition (racist / non-racist) for the whole country, which doesn't allow for the reality that the country is not monolithic in thought or behavior. I suppose Haley (and De Santis) could have answered in a more nuanced way, but I wonder if the interviewer / reporter would have let them get more than a sentence out before interrupting because that doesn't lend itself to sound bites.

• Like 2

I understand what Joy was trying to say, although she wasn't sugar-coating it at all. I'm sorry, when I was out of high school, there were two choices:  Get a job or go to school.  My parents would not have allowed me to stay at home doing nothing.  I didn't have the luxury of worrying about what might happen out in the world.  Most people I knew were in the same situation, we didn't have parents who coddled us, it was about survival and about making a better life for yourself, because the only person who was going to make that happen was you.

I have always liked Kamala Harris, I voted for her but I am kind of disappointed in her today and I get this uncomfortable vibe from the table. She seems sort of out of touch.  

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I suppose Haley (and De Santis) could have answered in a more nuanced way, but I wonder if the interviewer / reporter would have let them get more than a sentence out before interrupting because that doesn't lend itself to sound bites.

The CNN reporter asked if the party is racist. Haley chose to answer that the country has never been racist.  If the interviewer had interrupted it might have been to get her to answer the question that was asked. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I am kind of disappointed in her today and I get this uncomfortable vibe from the table. She seems sort of out of touch.  

Exactly...and then all she does is flash that shit-eating grin from ear to ear.

19 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I understand what Joy was trying to say, although she wasn't sugar-coating it at all. I'm sorry, when I was out of high school, there were two choices:  Get a job or go to school.

It was a totally different time.  When I was that age it was so uncool to be living with your parents unless you were going to college.  Even the college kids were embarrassed to be living with their parents.  (Remember Richie Cunningham telling fellow college students his frat was Poppa Momma Sista?!)  In my lower middle class neighborhood college wasn't a popular option, but getting a job and a crappy first apartment was totally desirable.  Freedom!

• Like 4

I understand what Joy was trying to say, although she wasn't sugar-coating it at all. I'm sorry, when I was out of high school, there were two choices:  Get a job or go to school.  My parents would not have allowed me to stay at home doing nothing.  I didn't have the luxury of worrying about what might happen out in the world.  Most people I knew were in the same situation, we didn't have parents who coddled us, it was about survival and about making a better life for yourself, because the only person who was going to make that happen was you.

There were different expectations.  Such as

3 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

In my lower middle class neighborhood college wasn't a popular option, but getting a job and a crappy first apartment was totally desirable

But it's different today. I work for a small business. We had a job opening.  We had one applicant in four months.  A man in his early 20s who was in fact living with his parents (who were our customers).  His desired salary was a lot more than any of us working here made.   Needless to say we didn't hire him.  A couple months later we had an applicant not living with his parents who we hired at a much more realistic salary. 

20 hours ago, Glitches said:

Honestly I wish he was a guest if not every day then once a week.

I have always liked Kamala Harris, I voted for her but I am kind of disappointed in her today and I get this uncomfortable vibe from the table. She seems sort of out of touch.  

I agree.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

FASCINATING discussion today about evangelicals and their support for Trump.

I missed half of the conversation because ABC over-the-air in northern Arizona bugged out in the middle of it. This happens often enough that I am beginning to suspect these outages are not coincidental. 

23 hours ago, debbie311 said:

when I was out of high school, there were two choices:  Get a job or go to school.

Or join the military. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

FASCINATING discussion today about evangelicals and their support for Trump.

Agreed.   You could tell he was a preacher's kid.   Very engaging, the ladies were all actively listening rather than waiting to ask their questions.    

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Glitches said:

I missed half of the conversation because ABC over-the-air in northern Arizona bugged out in the middle of it. This happens often enough that I am beginning to suspect these outages are not coincidental. 

Or join the military. 

So true.  I was just talking to my husband about this the other day.  I think if you had some guarantee that you would not have to fight in a war and possibly die (which of course I know is impossible), going into the service can be a good thing.

1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

So true.  I was just talking to my husband about this the other day.  I think if you had some guarantee that you would not have to fight in a war and possibly die (which of course I know is impossible), going into the service can be a good thing.

Joining the military is a subset of getting a job. Most military jobs are not those which put you in danger, although you are right - no guarantees, even when you sign up for a desk job. If your unit is bombed, anyone could die. But do your research and seek out good advice (and take what your recruiter says with a grain of salt) and you can get a lot out of your experience.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I started watching Jodie’s True Detective this week. It’s really creepy but she is soooo good!

I've loved Jodie since she was wee! You knew she had oodles of talent-and it didn't disappear once she grew up-or even after she took a break to go to college (and how she dealt with knowing what Hinkley did and why) and resume her career.

• Like 1

Sunny needs to brush up on syllogisms. While talking about Nikki Haley, she made a comment about racists and white people that implied a conclusion that doesn't follow. While some racists are white people, and some white people are racist, not all white people are racists, and while some Americans are racist, and some racists are Americans, not all Americans are racist, so concluding that the country is (and has always been) racist is faulty. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

The show has been on a roll recently… Annette Benning, Jodie Foster, and next week Jamie Lee Curtis. Amazing women all. 

And Robert Downey Jr. next week too. They have upped their game getting A list guests.

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Sunny needs to brush up on syllogisms. While talking about Nikki Haley, she made a comment about racists and white people that implied a conclusion that doesn't follow. While some racists are white people, and some white people are racist, not all white people are racists, and while some Americans are racist, and some racists are Americans, not all Americans are racist, so concluding that the country is (and has always been) racist is faulty. 

I think Sunny was on point.   The country of America is not a group of people.  People (native, European, African, etc) lived here before 1776 when America was created.    The country of America is an entity that was created around the constitution and laws.  As Sunny and Whoopi previously discussed on this show this week, racism is literally in the original constitution and explicitly stated in multiple laws up and through 1960s.   So it's not an unfair conclusion for Sunny to state that the country of America was racist from the start.   And while some Americans are racists, the the American people as a whole are not.  

Edited by After7Only
  • Like 5
  • Applause 5

Sunny tends to box all people under labels I'm noticing.  And I'm not surprised during the layoff announcements on social media segment that she was fired a lot.

As usual, they went off topic on that segment through Alyssa did bring back on topic by saying there should be a balance on how you share a layoff on social media.

Some people tend to use social media as a diary and I agree with Ana that Covid changed how things are done...but maybe some things shouldn't change.

In regards to the sharing of firing on social media, I'm pretty sure in the specific case that kicked off the topic, the reason the woman recorded them firing her is that it was a bs reason and she was documenting it.  That to me is different than someone getting fired for a valid reason and then sharing it on social media as if it's a badge of honor or something.

• Like 3

Can Anna go a day without name dropping ? She's really starting to annoy me with her arm flailing, name dropping, look at me self important attitude that she has every fucking time that she's on or opens her mouth. Seems to have got worse since she's been on the Ozempic weight loss program. 

On a superficial note I do like Sunny with straight hair or hair piece.

2 hours ago, Acmeproducts said:

I am looking forward to watching Jodie’s True Detective.

I watched the first episode. It was intriguing - lots of eerie, mysterious things going on as well as some potential for more crimes. If they don't mess it up, it could be one of the better seasons of True Detective.

• Applause 1

Like I said above, it's creepy.  Some gory images, real and hallucinated, some strange and mystical imagery.  Previous TD shows had a supernatural bend that were explained in the end.  I think the writers are pointing to indigenous mythology for some of the weird stuff.

• Useful 1