Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

On 3/20/2024 at 9:37 AM, JudyObscure said:

I would like to see Cyril and one of the young nurses fall in love.  Then we would get some conflict with the racism of the 60's and of course his marriage would have to sink or swim.

Considering that he's married and a minister, I think any relationship that happens with him and one of the nurses would have enough conflict built in without needing anything additional. It would be a soul-searching angst-fest on its own.

This series hasn't handled cast departures well, in general. I understand British series don't have the kind of long-term contracts locking in cast members for a certain number of years that American series do, but they don't seem to plan for departures very well. If there was any inkling that the actress who played Lucille wouldn't be sticking around, then they shouldn't have had her and Cyril marry. Just let her go back home and leave the show so they don't have the odd situation of them being married but living on different continents, with no hint of how they're going to ever reunite. That's even weirder than what they did with Barbara, having her marry, leave for her husband's job, and then come back only to die, and then the husband ended up leaving, anyway. It must be tough on the writers when they aren't sure which cast members they'll have in the next couple of seasons, and they could marry off a character only to have them immediately split, while the actor playing the spouse wants to stick around.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
On 3/19/2024 at 12:00 PM, Notabug said:

Weirdly enough, birth injuries are one of the least common causes of CP.

Not that you'd know it from all the lawyer commercials on US tv.  You'd think it was the #1 cause.

I don't necessarily think they were looking to blame anyone for Doreen's condition.  I think they just wanted as much medical information about her in order to better prepare for her giving birth and the records they had were incomplete.  But of course Sister Julienne would blame herself because that's sort of person she is.

On 3/20/2024 at 1:06 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I'm not opposed to dealing with racism, but what if the couple is of the same race but there's another obstacle instead of racism, like something with religion or social class.  

That could be very interesting too.

18 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

a HUGE anvil has already dropped on that, when he oiled Joyce’s bike chain. 

Is she the one who isn't religious?  That would be quite the conflict.

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

As a person who is divorced and remarried I often wondered if there were still churches in which I wouldn't be welcomed. 

The Baptist church my cousins attend wouldn't welcome someone who was divorced and remarried.  Of course, they are pretty strict (still have the no dancing rule, for example); not all Baptist churches are that bad.

• Like 3

Four new midwives is a lot to get used to. I do wonder how long Trixie will stay; she’s my favourite so I hope she’s there for a while yet. I assume she will either get pregnant soon or have the whole “why aren’t I getting pregnant” storyline.

Churches turning their backs on divorced people is still a thing in some places, as well as couples living together, unwed mothers, etc. They also usually support Trump, which makes no sense.

I’m impressed that this show can carry on 13 seasons in, and still bring compelling stories. The revolving door of midwives and nuns actually helps keep it fresh, as does the Love Boat style of storytelling, with three plots per episode wrapped up each week.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

I’m impressed that this show can carry on 13 seasons in, and still bring compelling stories

It is pretty amazing that they keep it pretty fresh.  Of course there were a lot of changes both in medicine and society at that time so there's always something new to throw in there!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Shermie said:

The revolving door of midwives and nuns actually helps keep it fresh, as does the Love Boat style of storytelling, with three plots per episode wrapped up each week.

I agree. The nature of the story lends itself to new characters coming in, and I appreciate that the new characters are not usually carbon copies of the character they replaced but unique individuals who bring something different.

Also, "Love Boat style of storytelling" is one of the best and most descriptive phrases I have ever read on the internet. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I agree. The nature of the story lends itself to new characters coming in, and I appreciate that the new characters are not usually carbon copies of the character they replaced but unique individuals who bring something different.

Also, "Love Boat style of storytelling" is one of the best and most descriptive phrases I have ever read on the internet. 

Building on that-I like that we also get the occasional follow-up on former patients of Poplar.

• Like 6
On 3/21/2024 at 3:36 PM, proserpina65 said:

Not that you'd know it from all the lawyer commercials on US tv.  You'd think it was the #1 cause.

I don't necessarily think they were looking to blame anyone for Doreen's condition.  I think they just wanted as much medical information about her in order to better prepare for her giving birth and the records they had were incomplete.  But of course Sister Julienne would blame herself because that's sort of person she is.

That could be very interesting too.

Is she the one who isn't religious?  That would be quite the conflict.

The Baptist church my cousins attend wouldn't welcome someone who was divorced and remarried.  Of course, they are pretty strict (still have the no dancing rule, for example); not all Baptist churches are that bad.

I think he fixed the blonde’s bike, right?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Cyril is still wearing his wedding ring. Lucille’s continued absence should be addressed but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Cyril is still wearing his wedding ring. Lucille’s continued absence should be addressed but I guess we will have to wait an see.

Yes, if the actress isn’t coming back why leave Cyril in limbo. Kill her off or something. I’d like to see Cyril with maybe one of the new midwife’s. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

Yes, if the actress isn’t coming back why leave Cyril in limbo. Kill her off or something. I’d like to see Cyril with maybe one of the new midwife’s. 

I feel so much better now. I didn't want to write the suggestion of  killing Lucille off because I was worried it would make sound like a monster. HUGE YES to this suggestion. I want to see Cyril with someone from his own church/culture dealing with an issue other than race. 

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I feel so much better now. I didn't want to write the suggestion of  killing Lucille off because I was worried it would make sound like a monster. HUGE YES to this suggestion. I want to see Cyril with someone from his own church/culture dealing with an issue other than race. 

i said in the second episode thread, either have them divorce, recast her or have her pass away. It isn't heartless, she is a fictional character. Even my co-worker who watches the show said the same thing. 

• Like 5

I agree that Cyril should not be left in limbo.  But his character, as we know him, would probably have some period of mourning that he has to go through before taking up with another woman.  And I cannot see him with the atheist midwife, that just wouldn't fly. 

My vote would be to replace Lucille with another actress.  It might take us time to adjust but overall would be a better way to go in my opinion.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

I agree that Cyril should not be left in limbo.  But his character, as we know him, would probably have some period of mourning that he has to go through before taking up with another woman.  And I cannot see him with the atheist midwife, that just wouldn't fly. 

My vote would be to replace Lucille with another actress.  It might take us time to adjust but overall would be a better way to go in my opinion.

They've written the character off the show, so I think killing her off-screen, followed by a suitable period of mourning, and then introduce a love interest next season makes the most sense.

Also, (and this may be just me) she's the only midwife character I actively disliked and was glad to see her written off the show. I am not okay with a health professional letting her religion get in the way/interfere with the providing the best care or most accurate information to her patients.  

• Like 3
On 3/21/2024 at 9:44 AM, AZChristian said:

The actress doesn't show anything on IMDB since leaving CtM.  Maybe she'll come crawling back from "Jamaica."

Maybe she's decided acting isn't for her.  Maybe she's gone back to school.  Maybe she's caring for a family member.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Maybe she's decided acting isn't for her.  Maybe she's gone back to school.  Maybe she's caring for a family member.  

A quote from her:  "Thank you all for embracing Lucille and rocking with me on this journey, it is with a heart full of love and appreciation that I embark on pastures new.”

She does do live theater in London . . . maybe that gives her greater joy.

• Like 7

And it is hardly unusual for actors in Great Britain to pull a "two/three seasons and out" act.  Think Matthew Crawley in Downton Abbey and The Duke in Miss Scarlet and the Duke.  They move on pretty quickly.  We have lost lots of midwives already.

On the other hand, it was pretty rude to stick Cyril in with a marriage if she wasn't planning on sticking around.  Must give the writers heartburn when that kind of thing happens.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 6:09 AM, JudyObscure said:

I didn't understand anything Doreen said and missed some of the other's lines.  I don't have very good sound on my TV and it's really hard when the background music over plays the dialogue, so I'm best off watching it on my computer the next day.

Good story with the young woman having cerebral palsy and her nice boyfriend alongside the abusive husband.

Edited by chediavolo
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

I didn't understand anything Doreen said and missed some of the other's lines

Have you tried closed captioning?  I couldn't live without it.

• Like 3
On 3/26/2024 at 2:20 PM, AZChristian said:

A quote from her:  "Thank you all for embracing Lucille and rocking with me on this journey, it is with a heart full of love and appreciation that I embark on pastures new.”

She does do live theater in London . . . maybe that gives her greater joy.

If she's done with the show, then the writers have full permission to kill off while the character is away off-screen.  

• Like 5