Type keyword(s) to search

Goosebumps (2023) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

goosebumps-poster-with-slappy-the-dummy.

Goosebumps is a 10 episode comedy/horror TV Series. The first 2 episodes and only the first two episodes, will air on October 13, 2023 on Freeform at 9 & 10pm. The first five episodes will stream on October 13, 2023 on Disney+ and Hulu. This is the second Goosebumps TV Series to be based on the the Goosebumps Books by R.L. Stine. The first Goosebumps TV Series started in 1996 and ran for 74 episodes. There have been two Goosebumps movies released in 2015 and 2018.

166598_0060_v1_fc43bca3.jpeg

The new Goosebumps TV Series follows a group of five high schoolers as they embark on a shadowy and twisted journey to investigate the tragic passing, three decades earlier, of a teen named Harold Biddle. They unleash supernatural forces upon their town and must all work together in order to save it, while doing so, they unearthing dark secrets about their parents' past. Goosebump stories based on the books will be worked into this over all  haunting/investigating framework.

167041_0235_dacc36e8.jpeg

Justin Long as Nathan Bratt, the new schoolteacher who develops a terrifying connection to a decades-old supernatural murder by becoming possessed by a teenaged spirit, who begins targeting the children of those who wronged him decades earlier. 

167035_0167_b4d8c783.jpeg

Rachael Harris as Nora, Jeff’s mother and an unassuming waitress at a local café that dabbles in sorcery.

167031_0089_1e53f5c8.jpeg

166315_0008_v1_83df39e3.jpeg

Will Price as Jeff, the rebellious skateboarder who is grappling with the untimely death of his daredevil father.

goosebumps-series-dplus2.jpg

Ana Yi Puig as Isabella, she is smart and naturally shy with an overwhelming sense of responsibility.

166602_0123_v1_ba52eb7c.jpeg

Miles McKenna as James, the class clown who loves the spotlight and hails from one of the wealthiest families in Port Lawrence.

165758_0478_v1_028ef412.jpeg

Zack Morris as Isaiah, a popular star football player whose financial struggles at home, has him and his family banking on his athleticism to secure him a full ride to college.

166317_0073_v1_278e143d.jpeg

Isa Briones as Margot, she typically has her head in a book, causing her classmates to think she is a snob but she is just laser focused on her writing and creating a life that is interesting enough for a memoir.

166598_0423_v1_47f24775.jpeg

Rob Huebel as Colin, father of Margot, a well-intentioned high school guidance counselor who is about to discover the world is a lot bigger and scarier than he ever imagined.

Edited by AnimeMania

Goosebumps       October 13, 2023    (Freeform  10pm 2 episodes only)   

Episodes 1-5      Disney+/Hulu    Titles and Descriptions  

Spoiler

S01.E01: Say Cheese and Die!
99cb18ed-bedf-4023-ba67-693eead50638?bas
All is going well for Isaiah. He's the star quarterback on the verge of a football scholarship and one of the most popular kids at school. But when he helps throw a Halloween party at the Biddle House, he discovers an old camera in the basement and his life begins to spiral when he starts using it.
165758_0478_v1_028ef412.jpeg?region=0,0,

S01.E02: The Haunted Mask
8f51ce84-0639-40f7-9d7c-4c6a705b6f9e?bas
Isabella feels invisible. She doesn't have many friends at school and spends most of her time trolling her classmates on social media under a fake account. At the Halloween party, Isabella discovers a mask in the basement of the house. When she puts it on, the mask gives her a newfound confidence, but things take a turn when the mask starts to control her life.

S01.E03: The Cuckoo Clock of Doom
dfab1ee5-ea1d-4f0d-afa7-bbef6a4ac65b?bas
James wants desperately for people to like him. At the Halloween party, James finds himself in a time loop reliving the same night, but he ultimately breaks free hand-in-hand with his crush. This fairytale quickly turns into a nightmare.
165935_0632_v1_fe5d0a94.jpeg?region=0,0,

S01.E04: Go Eat Worms
1981a49e-07e9-4918-92f2-ca41f590d485?bas
Lucas aspires to be a daredevil, just like his dad used to be, but his reckless stunts make people nervous and they often result in broken bones and damaged property. At the Halloween party, he finds some worms at the Biddle House and he takes them home with him. He soon learns these aren't just regular worms.
166315_0008_v1_83df39e3.jpeg?region=0,0,

S01.E05: Reader Beware
aa4e3478-ef6a-424e-8719-36e57d6be523?bas
Mr. Bratt gives Margot an old scrapbook he found in the basement of the Biddle House. As she flips through the pages, she's sent on an unexpected journey to 1993 when her mom was a student at Port Lawrence High. As Margot delves deeper into the book, she learns secrets that have terrifying consequences.
166317_0073_v1_278e143d.jpeg?region=0,0,

So far this is really good! I suppose it's geared towards younger viewers but it's suitably creepy and well written and has a concurrent grown-up storyline. Love Justin Long, he is really chewing up the scenery in this role. All the teens are well cast too. 

• Like 3

I'm enjoying this way more than I thought I would!  Sat down to watch the first episode last night and ended up watching the first 4.  I like the teenage actors and their storylines; I'm liking the whole A Nightmare on Elm Street/"What did the parents do?" storyline; LOVING Justin Long in this role.  As a reader of the Goosebumps (and Fear Street) books when I was a kid in the 90s, I approve!  Growing up, I liked the old show, but in revisiting it as an adult, it is a little cheesy.  I think this is very well done, and much darker than I was expecting.  I'm in!  Excited to get home and watch the 5th episode tonight, and to get more on Friday!

Edited by Miss Bones
  • Like 3
57 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Does the rest of the series drop this Friday, or just one more episode?

30 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

We got five episodes for the premiere, but from now on we get only one per week.

Thanks for clarifying @paulvdb.  I thought we'd get more than one this Friday.  Maybe I will wait to watch episode 5 then, so I can spread them out a bit more.

Count me in as a fan of this show, even though I’m decades removed from the show’s target demographic and I’ve never read any of the books. 
It was fairly obvious to me why Harold was targeting the teens, but why doesn’t he target their parents - ya know, the actual people who did him harm?!  

I hope the show does make Margot and Lucas a couple as they just mesh better imo.  Yeah, Lucas is the class clown, and he can be reckless but I still think he’s personality is a better fit with Margot’s grounded, average teen, “girl next door” persona.  Ironic that I’m not ‘shipping the literal Girl Next Door with Isaiah. I just feel his Big Man on Campus, always wanting the spotlight, Too Much personality is a bad fit for Margot. Anyhoo, I hope the plot doesn’t call for Margot turning to Lucas just because she thinks she has no chance with Isaiah.  

Bring on the final episodes!  

• Like 1

I'm two episodes in and so far I like this a lot. Lots of actors I like, especially Justin Long having a grand time, and the teens are all quite good as well. I grew up reading the books in the 90s/early 00s so this is really taking me back. Very different from the cheesy 90s show which I have a soft spot for, but I am digging the shows darker tone and more serialized story telling. 

Combining several books into one story is a fan idea, sort of like a teen version of a Mike Flannigan show but with less blood and monologues. 

• Like 2

S01.E06: Night of the Living Dummy 

2ca6dd94-9a47-46a4-a225-fc7d5d2ea8f4?bas

Mr. Bratt tells the teens about Harold Biddle and the history of the house. In this decades-spanning story, the teens get closer to discovering the truth about what’s haunting Port Lawrence and who might be responsible for it.

Premiere Date: Friday, October 20, 2023     Disney+/Hulu       

6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

S01.E06: Night of the Living Dummy 

2ca6dd94-9a47-46a4-a225-fc7d5d2ea8f4?bas

Mr. Bratt tells the teens about Harold Biddle and the history of the house. In this decades-spanning story, the teens get closer to discovering the truth about what’s haunting Port Lawrence and who might be responsible for it.

Premiere Date: Friday, October 20, 2023     Disney+/Hulu       

I feel like the styling-inspo for the character of Harold had to be Darlene's bf David from Roseanne.

• LOL 2

My favorite scenes are definitely the 90s ones. I love the music, plus that's when I read the books and watched the TV show. I haven't given it a rewatch but I remember thinking it was creepy enough and that's how I feel about this version, especially since it's on Disney of all places.

22 minutes ago, Shorty186 said:

My favorite scenes are definitely the 90s ones

Today’s episode was info dump day, but I’ll excuse it for the 90s songs. Really brought back memories of my early adulthood.  Aaaah, the 1990s! Good times…

• Like 1
On 10/16/2023 at 3:57 PM, norcalgal said:

It was fairly obvious to me why Harold was targeting the teens, but why doesn’t he target their parents - ya know, the actual people who did him harm?! 

Going after the children hurts the parents way more,on many different levels than anything else Harold could do. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The possessed ventriloquist dummy seems a bit derivative, but I'll allow it. I enjoyed the flashbacks and getting the full picture of why Harold's friends did what they did. They need to eventually explain why the dummy is possessed - or whatever.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The possessed ventriloquist dummy seems a bit derivative, but I'll allow it. I enjoyed the flashbacks and getting the full picture of why Harold's friends did what they did. They need to eventually explain why the dummy is possessed - or whatever.

I agree. I was really bummed by this "development" in the story. I think I was a little "too old" to watch the original series and read the novels, so I have no context, but apparently the dummy originates from the novels. Before episode six, I found the show entertaining enough. I can't stand ventriloquist's dummies, though—"Dead Silence" notwithstanding.

I remember reading other, more "mature" R.L. Stine books in middle and high school. I also read a lot of Stephen King in high school.

I graduated high school in 1993, so I'm enjoying the music from that timeline.

Edited by bilgistic

S01.E07: Give Yourself Goosebumps

167031_0089_1e53f5c8.jpeg?region=0,0,300

The group works together to find a way to escape their new reality; as they search for a way to get back to the real world, they make new discoveries about Harold Biddle; Nora takes matters into her own hands and treks to her remote cabin.

Premiere Date: Friday, October 27, 2023     Disney+/Hulu       

I'm not sure I understand why Harold would put all the kids into a trance (or whatever) if his goal is to find Slappy, unless he think they'll interfere. Also don't know why Nora removed the dummy from the mine and hid it in her shed. I'll be interested to see what happens to the alternate "house" the teens are trapped in now that the scrapbook drawing is getting wet and washing away.

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure I understand why Harold would put all the kids into a trance (or whatever) if his goal is to find Slappy, unless he think they'll interfere. Also don't know why Nora removed the dummy from the mine and hid it in her shed. I'll be interested to see what happens to the alternate "house" the teens are trapped in now that the scrapbook drawing is getting wet and washing away.

I don't understand why, after all that has happened to them connected to that house, including a creepy book that was given to one of them by their teacher, they would then just follow that teacher into the house to hear his story.  

• Useful 1

I really liked this show, just binged the first 7 episodes.  It's a really well done show. The teen actors/characters are well acted and, have chemistry.  After episode 7 I'm thinking we're getting a Quadrangle of Doom instead of a Love Triangle Isiah/Margot/Isaac/Isabella.

Interestingly, Margot and Isabella are the only two characters I liked from the start.  I love Isabella and Allen's relationship, supportive loving siblings ❤️. Isabella is my favorite so far but, the others are all very likable in their owns ways.

Justin Long is very entertaining and, seems to be having a blast in the role. I mistook Nora's actress at first, thought she was Darla from Buffy/Angel turns out she's Linda from Lucifer.  I'm curious to see what's different/special about her. She was able to see Harold on the field and Slappy even mentioned it in the flashback. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

mistook Nora's actress at first, thought she was Darla from Buffy/Angel turns out she's Linda from Lucifer.  I'm curious to see what's different/special about her. She was able to see Harold on the field and Slappy even mentioned it in the flashback. 

I too hope they circle back to how Nora seems to be different from her friends.

As for the Darla resemblance, now that it’s out there, I can’t unsee it.  

• Like 2
On 10/28/2023 at 9:55 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

After episode 7 I'm thinking we're getting a Quadrangle of Doom instead of a Love Triangle Isiah/Margot/Isaac/Isabella.

That's one aspect of the show I could live without, but I suppose it's hard to get away from in a teen-oriented show.

Black Hole Sun is one of my favorite 90s songs, loved having it to close out the episode. 

The teenage love quadrangle would normally annoy me, but the teen actors are all so good and the romance stuff is still in the background behind the spooky stuff and the humor that its still working for me. 

I guess Harold was worried that the kids would interfere with finding Slappy if he left them alone, and he doesn't want to kill them, so he just sent them into his creepy mental book. 

Harold really has a gift for self delusion, he's really convinced that what happened to him is totally the parents fault or his parents fault and not his own due to listening to Slappy and his own mistakes. 

• Like 1
On 10/29/2023 at 1:39 AM, norcalgal said:

As for the Darla resemblance, now that it’s out there, I can’t unsee it.  

I've always thought they were dopplegangers. There are a handful of actors/actresses out there who it took me a while to realize were 2 different people. 

I'm also really loving the show. It's particularly gruesome and the kids are little bit old for the "Goosebumps" brand, but that's probably why I'm liking it. 

And have ventriloquist dummies ever not been terrifying? (I have the same question about clowns!)

• Like 3

S01.E08: You Can't Scare Me

167035_0167_b4d8c783.jpeg?region=0,0,300

In the real world, the teens rush to Nora's cabin and find themselves on a dangerous journey to try and save Nora from an old friend.

Premiere Date: Friday, November 3, 2023     Disney+/Hulu       

1971a4c7-4623-43d8-a7cc-62983dfdb404?bas

I thought this was the finale (even had the cliffhanger) didn't realize there was more in the season until the preview showed up.

I think it's hilarious that James just called out Isaiah and Margot as an almost couple...although I think fan tease is more accurate.  To be honest, I'd prefer Lucas/Margot and Isaiah/Isabella. 

I was really impressed with Justin Long this episode,  he's been doing great at the comedy, especially the physical comedy but, this episode ramped up the scary/crazy.

Also that scene where Bratt ended up back in the mansion, the excitement of being in the fight, then the happiness realizing the kids escaped (with his help)  followed by the sad realization that he was once again trapped alone in the house; well played by Long.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I thought this was the finale (even had the cliffhanger) didn't realize there was more in the season until the preview showed up.

I think it's hilarious that James just called out Isaiah and Margot as an almost couple...although I think fan tease is more accurate.  To be honest, I'd prefer Lucas/Margot and Isaiah/Isabella. 

I was really impressed with Justin Long this episode,  he's been doing great at the comedy, especially the physical comedy but, this episode ramped up the scary/crazy.

Also that scene where Bratt ended up back in the mansion, the excitement of being in the fight, then the happiness realizing the kids escaped (with his help)  followed by the sad realization that he was once again trapped alone in the house; well played by Long.

ITA to every paragraph.  
wrt Lucas/Margot, I previously wrote that I felt they just work better as a couple (more compatible).  I’m agnostic about a possible Isaiah/Izzy pairing, but one teen couple is enough for a show with a small cast like this one.

I also thought this was the season/series finale. Not sure what else there’s to explore in the remaining episodes.

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I really liked that moment as well.

7 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I hate this neverending dummy story. Just put it in the wood chipper already!

I'm guessing that's the final answer but, we haven't gotten there yet. I mean we already saw the perfect ending with the worms 🤢

On 11/4/2023 at 10:01 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

This role has to be an actor's dream, it's a regular tour de force. 

I think either the network or at least the producers realized the audience would think this was the season finale, which is why they stuck that preview in at the end. I don't think they've had one before this.

You just knew when the camera zoomed in on Slappy at the very end his eyes were going to open.

• Like 1

This very much felt like I finale, I guess that's why they added in the "next up on Goosebumps" portion at the end. I really liked how they wrapped everything up with Biddle, very curious as to who become Slappy's next puppet. Pun very much intended. 

Justin Long was really giving it his all in this one, he must have been having a blast getting to run through so many emotions. 

• Like 1

S01.E09: Night of the Living Dummy Part 2

dd979388-927f-44f0-8144-de5841fd765a?bas

The teens go on a road trip to Seattle to stay with Margot's mom; Mr. Bratt is on the verge of selling his story, a fictionalized version of the real events that happened in Port Lawrence, but he needs to find his perfect ending.

Premiere Date: Friday, November 10, 2023     Disney+/Hulu   

Goosebumps09.thumb.jpg.71bf3f08ba96b7829e108828847553ae.jpg

167041_0235_dacc36e8.jpeg?region=0,0,200

What I liked about S1.E2 is that at least *one* character had ptsd. C’mon, how could almost everyone be back to normal after all the absolute frightening horrors they endured?!  And extra kudos that of all the characters to have ptsd, it was Lucas. Yes, the Lucas who was introduced to us as a daredevil, not thinking beyond the minute, hey duuuude Lucas. Hat tip, Goosebumps
Although I don’t see the Lucas/Margot relationship lasting beyond high school, I’d hate for them to break up so soon. Yeah, Seattle seems like a place where Margot can find her groove, but man, senior year of high school in a place no one knows her?  I couldn’t do that. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, hoosiergirl said:

Is that the guy who played Kate’s second husband, Philip, on This is Us? Also, who is he supposed to be? 

I think it was Chris Geere. I don't know if he was on This Is Us. I assume he's supposed to be the human that ended up in the dummy.

21 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think it was Chris Geere. I don't know if he was on This Is Us. I assume he's supposed to be the human that ended up in the dummy.

That's him. I didn't recognize him with the long hair.

• Like 1

Oh man, I was really hoping it wasn't Bratt that found Slappy in the Woods.

Is Ben dead?  Lucas has become my favorite character.  

So Slappy was a man trapped in the Dummy and all of this was for his resurrection but, what is with the tower of burning people? 

I was largely distracted that Bratt was stupid and desperate enough to find and resurrect Slrappy.

Did it seem like they made him a completely different character to justify him bringing back the dummy?  They showed him being quirky and odd when possessed, but the little we saw of him prior to that he seemed pretty normal --  how he interreacted with Ben and the students was completely different from his desperate need to be included in this last episode.  

The human Slappy seemed pretty creepy.   I wonder if they will resolve everything within in the finale or if they will be setting things up for a second season.  

Edited by CCTC
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, CCTC said:

Did it seem like they made him a completely different character to justify him bringing back the dummy? 

Yes, yes they did.

1 hour ago, CCTC said:

I was largely distracted that Bratt was stupid and desperate enough to find and resurrect Slrappy

I swear the NYC Editor seemed so sketchy and aggressive that I wondered if she was connected to Slappy

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CCTC said:

I wonder if they will resolve everything within in the finale or if they will be setting things up for a second season.  

I hope they're setting up a season 2 because I really enjoy this and I need more.

27 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I swear the NYC Editor seemed so sketchy and aggressive that I wondered if she was connected to Slappy

This. She has to be involved somehow. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

And didn’t she basically demand a new ending in one day?!!?  I could be wrong, but it seemed like she called Bratt in the morning saying the story needed a different ending, then called again that same night asking if it was completed!  If anyone knows the world of publishing, can you confirm if it really works that way?

Was the show always scheduled for 10 episodes, or did they finish episode 8 then were told to do a couple more?  

• Like 3

I think maybe the last episode should have been the season finale, because I'm totally bored with the teens and their various romantic entanglements. The parts with Justin Long were great but whenever they switched over to the teens I was bored out of my skull. I really don't give a darn who ends up with who.

From what I can gather, the main characters in the books are younger than this and don't have any romantic entanglements. For some reason the TV show thought it needed that. I disagree. The haunting story was interesting enough on its own, it doesn't need dreary love triangles like it's some CW show.

On 11/12/2023 at 7:07 AM, CCTC said:

Did it seem like they made him a completely different character to justify him bringing back the dummy?  They showed him being quirky and odd when possessed, but the little we saw of him prior to that he seemed pretty normal --  how he interreacted with Ben and the students was completely different from his desperate need to be included in this last episode.  

But we didn't really have any backstory on him until this episode, so I think that explained him nicely. Inviting himself to go to Seattle with the teens was so cringe.

S01.E10: Welcome to Horrorland

089c63d8-fd60-4d50-812c-a38d2309e3a4?bas

(Season Finale)

As the teens get back from their Seattle trip, they quickly realize their loved ones and all of Port Lawrence are in grave danger; a new evil has taken over the town, and they need to band together to save it.

Premiere Date: Friday, November 17, 2023     Disney+/Hulu       

This season (series?) finale was overly melodramatic, rushed and went full on exposition for like, half the episode.

I posted before so I’ll ask again:  was the show supposed to end two episodes ago, but Disney or whoever demanded 2 more episodes?!  Just ridiculous way to end.  Hopefully, this isn’t renewed and in my mind, the “real” ending was episode 8.  

ps…I noticed how the show took pains not to explain which war or even country it was Kanduu was fought in!  How convenient.

• Like 3