Type keyword(s) to search

Harlan Coben’s Shelter - General Discussion

• Start Topic

F0sTPV7XoAIS-kY?format=jpg&name=large

Harlan Coben’s Shelter is an eight episode Drama TV Series with the first 3 episodes streaming on August 18, 2023 on Prime Video. Harlan Coben’s Shelter is very loosely based on the Mickey Bolitar trilogy on novels: Book 1: Shelter (2011), Book 2: Seconds Away (2012), Book 3: Found (2014), where Mickey Bolitar is the teenage nephew of Myron Bolitar, a popular character from another one of Harlan Coben Novel Series.

MV5BMjE5MDMwNTItNjViNy00NzFkLTlmMTQtYmM1

With his mother, Kitty, in rehab and the recent death of his father, Brad, in a car accident, high school junior Mickey Bolitar, finds his life uprooted as he goes to live with his Grandparents, Allen and Ellen, and his father's sister, Shira, in Kasselton, New Jersey. As a new student in a new school, Mickey bonds with another new student, Ashley Kent, who also appears to have also gone through a recent traumatic experience. Mickey makes some more new friends, Ema and Spoon, and they discover that they can't trust the things that Ashley has been telling them and Mickey's life might be in danger. When Ashley suddenly disappears, they learn that the town has a history of people going missing. Mickey is determined to find out what happened to Ashley, but Sheriff Ken Taylor seems to have a personal grudge against him. To complicate matters more, a ghostly female apparition tells Mickey his father is not dead.

Harlan-Cobens-Shelter_S1_UT_103_220926_P

Jaden Michael as Mickey Bolitar, a high school junior who watched his father die in a car crash.

Narci Regina as Kitty, Mickey’s mother who is in rehab. Despite how smart and insightful she is, Kitty faces internal struggles, some of which may present a challenge to her when it comes time to help her beloved son. 

Harlan-Cobens-Shelter_S1_UT_101_220817_P

Kristoffer Polaha as Brad, Mickey’s father and Shira’s brother. Well-traveled, smart, and charismatic, Brad is an ideal father to Mickey, but he’s concealing a secret life to protect his son. His death in a car crash, prompts Mickey to move in with his Grandparents in a new town.

Peter Riegert as Allen, Mickey’s beloved grandfather, “Pops”, the effervescent father of Shira. He feels a wave of grief for his recently deceased son, Brad.

Adrienne Barbeau as Ellen, Mickey’s fun-loving grandma and Ben and Shira’s mother. Her passive-aggressive remarks about her daughter’s personal life can be overbearing. Cunning and intuitive, she can identify concealed animosity and deflect tension. Ellen has found it difficult to discuss her grief over her late son, Brad.

Constance Zimmer as Shira Bolitar, Mickey’s Aunt 

Harlan-Cobens-Shelter_S1_UT_103_220909_P

Missi Pyle as Hannah, Troy’s mom, she was Shira’s best friend in high school, but is now married to Shira’s high school boyfriend, Sheriff Ken Taylor. This chic woman appears to have the perfect life, but of course, nothing is as it seems.

Lee Aaron Rosen as Chief Ken Taylor, the Sheriff, The local police chief in Kasselton and Troy’s dad, Ken appears to be determined to arrest Mickey for something (anything). He still has a flame for his high school sweetheart, Shira.

Harlan-Cobens-Shelter_S1_UT_102_220823_P

Brian Altemus as Troy

Harlan-Cobens-Shelter_S1_UT_101_211023_P

Harlan-Cobens-Shelter_S1_UT_102_220822_P

Abby Corrigan as Ema Winslow, Mickey’s new friend

A-promotional-still-of-Harlan-Cobens-She

Adrian Greensmith as Arthur "Spoon" Spindell, Mickey’s new friend

shelter-social-feature.jpg

Sage Linder as Rachel Caldwell

MV5BOWFlODBmNDctNDg1My00MzViLWExYTQtZGEx

Samantha Bugliaro as Ashley Kent, she and Mickey are the new students at Kasselton High. She conceals a secret, darker and more sinister than Mickey or his friends could ever imagine. Then, Ashley goes missing.

Jen Jacob as Mrs. Kent

Antonio Cipriano as Buck, A cocky high school basketball player/theater boy. With the brain of an ostrich and the voice of an angel, he is Troy’s best friend, and frequent tormenter of Mickey, Spoon, and Ema.

Alexa Mareka as Whitney, who was previously known as Buck’s weird and artsy twin sister until gaining status as a social media star with her makeup skills. She takes an interest in Ema.

Didi Conn as Mrs. Friedman/Martha Freedman, a sweet, quick-witted history teacher at Kasselton High School whose past is more complex than she lets on.

Stephanie March as Angelica Wyatt, an acclaimed stage-and-screen actor who is the benefactor of Kasselton High’s art program through a nonprofit organization.

Tovah Feldshuh as Bat Lady, a mysterious recluse, who tells Mickey that his father isn’t dead.

Hunter Emery as Mirrored Sunglasses Man, Bat Lady’s mysterious right-hand man, with a lethal presence.

Manuel Uriza as Octoface, he has a large Octopus tattoo on his face, this terrifying man always seems to show up when there’s trouble.

Alexa Mareka as Whitney

Geoffrey Cantor as Mr. V.

• Like 3

I’m kind of the opposite, I love Harlan Coben’s stand alone books but am not a fan of the Myron Bolitar series mostly because I’m not a fan of the recurring characters like Win and even Myron himself annoys me.   I thought the Mickey series was okay, but mostly I appreciate the fact that they’re keeping this in NJ, that was one thing I didn’t like about Harlan Coben’s shows on Netflix, the books are all in NJ or nyc and they relocated them all to Europe.  

• Like 2

Harlan Coben’s Shelter     August 18, 2023     Prime Video   

Episodes 1-3   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Pilot
4QAhacJ9Lg3W5isPMH1HE6zldDd.jpg
After a tragic accident, Mickey Bolitar finds himself living with his aunt in Kasselton, New Jersey—a town with a lot of buried secrets. When a classmate disappears without a trace, Mickey’s drawn into a conspiracy so shocking that it makes high school drama seem like a luxury…and leaves Mickey questioning everything about the life he thought he knew.
Harlan-Cobens-Shelter_S1_UT_101_220817_P

S01.E02: Catch Me If U Can
4O7iym7hCfTe30WrkRcTRnyXukl.jpg
The investigation into Ashley’s disappearance leads the gang to a dangerous man. As Mickey reunites with his mom, Shira bumps into an old friend. And in a town filled with secrets that people would kill to keep buried, what is Mrs. Friedman—Mickey’s history teacher—hiding?
Harlan-Cobens-Shelter_S1_UT_102_220818_P

S01.E03: The Dirt Locker
Harlan-Cobens-Shelter_S1_UT_103_220920_P
Mickey learns more about the mysterious Bat Lady’s past. Shira spends time with an old friend, while Ema makes a new one. At Ellen and Alan Bolitar’s 49th wedding anniversary party, the family struggles to come to grips with Brad’s absence.

Interesting choice to make Mickey's caregiver a newly created aunt instead of Myron like it was in the book.  

I'm okay with Ema not being fat like she was in the book.  Not for the reason you'd think.  Coben has a major disdain for fatness.  He likes to point out when women are fat and just how disgusting it is, over and over again.   So glad we don't have to have that angle in the TV version.  

I also think it is interesting change to have Mickey be biracial instead of white.  It adds an extra dynamic when it comes to his conflict and the way the police treat him.  

I didn't really love the book, but I'll keep with the series...at least for a little while.  

• Like 2
On 8/20/2023 at 9:45 AM, shelley1234 said:

I also think it is interesting change to have Mickey be biracial instead of white.  It adds an extra dynamic when it comes to his conflict and the way the police treat him.  

That is interesting. Haven't read the books so wasn't aware of what is different but I will say, having Mickey as biracial really made certain police scene's very uncomfortable to watch. 

I have watched first three eps now and really like the show. I like the characters (and actors who are portraying them) enough that if the overarching mystery ends up falling flat (I have no idea where it is headed/what is going on at this point so I have no clue if I'll love it or hate it) I won't feel I wasted my time because it was enjoyable hanging with these characters. 

• Like 2

S01.E04: Phantom Threads
5b31bb5a694ab6bf59afeffc726368638c904264
Mickey has a breakthrough in the search for Ashley. Chief Taylor has a tense confrontation with Bat Lady. Ema and Spoon make beautiful music together.

Premiere Date: August 25, 2023    Prime Video  

Why Myron Bolitar Isn’t In Harlan Coben’s Shelter TV Series

Harlan Coben's main contract is currently with Netflix, where he has already adapted several of his (mostly) standalone novels into TV series, including the soon to be released standalone 8 Episode TV Series "Fool Me Once" which is completed and just waiting for a release date. Netflix has also acquired the adaptation rights to the Myron Bolitar books, which is why Myron Bolitar is mentioned, but will not appear in the Mickey Bolitar adaptations produced for Prime Video. In Harlan Coben’s Shelter TV Series the parts played by Myron Bolitar in the books are now given to a newly created made especially for this TV Series aunt, Shira Bolitar. I am not sure if this newly created sister of Myron and Brad Bolitar will be part of the storyline for the Netflix version of the Myron Bolitar TV Series, or if Mickey Bolitar can be able to make a physical appearance in the Netflix TV Series.

S01.E05: See Me Feel Me Touch Me Heal Me

12cda875b194d97911386c0014ae53eb06029fce

Mickey and Spoon discover Ema’s big secret. To find Ashley, Rachel needs a gigantic favor from Troy. Mickey and Rachel trail a suspect to a surprising location. Mickey finds a shocking photo.

Premiere Date: September 1, 2023    Prime Video   

I still have absolutely no idea what is going on in this show, but am sticking around solely because I love the friendship between the 3 lead characters. From that first hug Spoon gave to Mickey in the premier to each of them recognizing when they've been a shit friend, sincerely apologizing, and moving the fuck on, to Spoon jumping in to defend Mickey from basketball bully while shouting, "I'll eat your heart!" and everything else in between. I love all it. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Same. The whole 'mystery' aspect is so confusing that I have kind of checked out on it, but I adore the three leads and their friendship. Was genuinely surprised by Ema's living situation. It is a very interesting take on societies obsession with fame these days. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

S01.E06: Candy’s Room

29810f6df280445a9a7b22b583dc29fbadaf37b4

Mickey makes an outlandish request. Shira finds herself in an awkward position. Ema reacts with rage to a betrayal. A major mystery is solved, but Mickey finds himself in over his head.

Premiere Date: September 8, 2023    Prime Video   

I think they are trying to hint at Spoon having been saved by Bat Lady's group. Thing is, it looks like the photos are taken at the time they are saved, Baseball kid is still a kid in his photo, Octoface is also a kid, so is it saying Spoon was just saved? So he's not who he says he is? 

Obviously they couldn't put a photo of him as a child or we might not realize it was meant to be Spoon, unless he had a spoon with in in the photo lol. 

It was a hell of a cliffhanger. 

I'm enjoying the show. The only bit I don't care for is the Nazi angle as I feel like that is lazy shorthand to make us sympathize with Bat Lady, like, sure she kills people who get in her way and dicks about with her "oh so mysterious" schtick,  but she fought against the Nazi's so she's good. 

• Like 2

I don't recall them ever saying. He exists, as there is mention of him here and there, but I don't think they ever say why he's not around or where he actually is. 

I know that he's not on the show for behind the scenes' reasons, but not sure that in show they address where he is. I think they just hand wave it with yeah, he exists but he's out of town somewhere doing something. 

On 9/17/2023 at 11:57 AM, Mabinogia said:

The only bit I don't care for is the Nazi angle

My issue with is slightly different.  I am all for authors and tv reminding us that the Holocaust actually happened, (its appalling I have to write that!) but I take issue with Bat Lady's age.  Assuming she escaped in say 1944 and was 8 years old at the time (I think older but being generous here) in 2023 she would be over 85 years old.  A bit old to still be doing all this.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, jabRI said:

My issue with is slightly different.  I am all for authors and tv reminding us that the Holocaust actually happened, (its appalling I have to write that!) but I take issue with Bat Lady's age.  Assuming she escaped in say 1944 and was 8 years old at the time (I think older but being generous here) in 2023 she would be over 85 years old.  A bit old to still be doing all this.

My own mother is 88 and more active than Bat Lady, so it’s possible .

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh what are the bts reasons why he isn't there?

Someone mentioned upthread that the books where the uncle is the main character are tied to shows on Netflix:

On 8/24/2023 at 11:09 PM, AnimeMania said:

Why Myron Bolitar Isn’t In Harlan Coben’s Shelter TV Series

Harlan Coben's main contract is currently with Netflix, where he has already adapted several of his (mostly) standalone novels into TV series, including the soon to be released standalone 8 Episode TV Series "Fool Me Once" which is completed and just waiting for a release date. Netflix has also acquired the adaptation rights to the Myron Bolitar books, which is why Myron Bolitar is mentioned, but will not appear in the Mickey Bolitar adaptations produced for Prime Video. In Harlan Coben’s Shelter TV Series the parts played by Myron Bolitar in the books are now given to a newly created made especially for this TV Series aunt, Shira Bolitar. I am not sure if this newly created sister of Myron and Brad Bolitar will be part of the storyline for the Netflix version of the Myron Bolitar TV Series, or if Mickey Bolitar can be able to make a physical appearance in the Netflix TV Series.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I have to say the writing on this show is awful. If the writers had one key that spelled out "fuc&" every time they touched it, they could've saved 30% of their time. I have a hard time believing anyone speaks like that. 

The chemistry between the young actors is really good and they're all likeable. That's the only thing I've enjoyed. 

Just finished watching and yeah, I'm a bit annoyed that they just dropped the Spoon picture thing. Honestly, the ending felt like they expect to get a season 2 because it just sort of ended. Not necessarily a cliff hanger, but just abruptly, and with a lot of side stories feeling unfinished. 

The best thing about the show for me was the four main kids. The way they came together felt organic and their bond felt real. Great quartet of actors they got for the roles. The side characters too, Troy and his family, Sheera, etc, were all fine. It was the storyline that left me disappointed. It had potential to be a great story, the whole Underground Railroad for abused kids thing was really interesting. Tying it in with the Holocaust still doesn't quite work for me. It just felt unnecessary.

Honestly, everything about Bat Lady was annoying. She almost came across as sadistic in the way she would give Mickey some info, but not really enough to answer his question, just enough to keep him invested, like dangling a carrot and snatching it away at the last second. 

If it does get a second season, I'll probably have forgotten about the show by then to be honest, but I didn't regret watching it, I was moved in parts (Spoon in the last couple eps had me tearing up), and I liked most of the characters (which is rare for me in a show about teens), I'm just not all that invested in the show. It was a good way to spend a few hours. 

And with all this obsessing over Mickey's father, I totally forgot his mother is still alive. At least I think she is. She's still in some kind of hospital/care home right? Ah, he doesn't care so why should I. 

• Like 2

I like his books a lot, the adaptations not so much.  When reading you can gloss over obvious red herrings, not so easy to do watching on TV.  Too many lose ends, and I thought the Dad scene at the end strangely anti-climatic.

• Like 2
On 9/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, jabRI said:

Still didn't explain why Spoon's picture was on the wall, unless I missed it? Did she have pictures of rescuers also?

Didn’t Spoon say he was adopted? But the current pic-Ashley’s was current as well. Technically, the group got their butts saved from abduction-Octo-face saved them. 

On 9/17/2023 at 11:57 AM, Mabinogia said:

The only bit I don't care for is the Nazi angle as I feel like that is lazy shorthand to make us sympathize with Bat Lady, like, sure she kills people who get in her way and dicks about with her "oh so mysterious" schtick,  but she fought against the Nazi's so she's good.

I just read at random, Harlan Coben's book WIN (as told by Myron's friend).  Quite a good book and gives a completely different origin, but same mission, as the rescue operation, even has the butterfly as the symbol.  And gives more info on Ema's background.    I like his books, it doesn't bother me if he takes pieces from his other works and reshapes them for new adaptations.  

But as I said earlier, I like his books more than his series, and I saw the ones on Netflix also.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I finally finished watching this series. I liked it and didn't much mind the changes from the books. It's been a few years since I've read those and I didn't like them as much as Myron's so it's fine. Shira as a stand-in for Myron was good, although it didn't need the romance with Troy's mother IMO. What I wonder is if they plan to have another season or not. From what I remember, Ashley's story was wrapped up in the first book and the other two had another mysteries, while the Brad and Luther storyline went on through all three books. I think the first one ended with Bat Lady showing Mickey the photograph of the Butcher (really Luther). I guess they tried to cover that story in one season in case it would not be renewed? If that's the case, I appreciate it even if it leaves us without an ongoing mystery for a potential next season, because I have began to dislike how many shows end their seasons on a cliffhanger without any guarantee of next season.

As others, what I liked the most was the casting for the main four teenage characters and the incredible chemistry they all have. I would like to see more of them solving mysteries together, or even just hang out. 

What I didn't care for was most of the high school drama, basketball, the musical (like, WTF?) or the Troy family drama. I did like Spoon's cynical commentary of the match in the last episode though.

On 9/18/2023 at 6:30 PM, jabRI said:

Yes, I agree so much. Regarding Bat Lady's age, I think the books were still making it believable (I think she was around 12?) but they were released a decade ago and it's stretching it a lot at this point (which is probably one of the reasons people are starting to forget about the Holocaust, as there are fewer people who still remember it.)

I actually think she was dropping too much exposition at times and that maybe they should have kept her more mysterious and let viewers come to the conclusion themselves rather than her just saying stuff.

On 10/21/2023 at 2:31 AM, jabRI said:

I just read at random, Harlan Coben's book WIN (as told by Myron's friend).  Quite a good book and gives a completely different origin, but same mission, as the rescue operation, even has the butterfly as the symbol.  And gives more info on Ema's background.    I like his books, it doesn't bother me if he takes pieces from his other works and reshapes them for new adaptations.  

But as I said earlier, I like his books more than his series, and I saw the ones on Netflix also.

Win is my favorite character from the books and I hope they do him right in the Myron series. I have guessed pretty early on about him being 

Spoiler

Ema's father

but I guess that is out from the adaptations as the characters are in different series/companies.