Type keyword(s) to search

Survival Of The Thickest - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Survival of the Thickest is an eight (half-hour) episode TV Series airing on July 13 on Netflix. Based on Michelle Buteau’s 2022 collection of comedic essays "Survival of the Thickest", Mavis Beaumont is a proudly thick, newly single, aspiring stylist, ready to take over the world one fitting at a time. 
ie_102582-scaled.jpeg

As a Black, plus-sized assistant fashion stylist in Manhattan, Mavis aspires to become a size-inclusive lead stylist.
ie_102587-scaled.jpeg

Her hot photographer boyfriend, Jacque, is supporting her every step of the way. He even helps her secure an interview at Essence. Despite all his professions of love and devotion, though, Mavis later finds him in bed with another woman. So she moves out of their luxury apartment in Manhattan and into cramped quarters in Brooklyn with an oddball roommate. 
ie_102583-scaled.jpeg

It’s pretty rough — and being a single thirtysomething can be awkward — but Mavis is committed to enjoying her life and making waves in the fashion industry — even without the leg up from Jacque. Luckily, her best friends Khalil and Marley are there every step of the way to encourage her to be her best self… or to let her know when she’s being completely unhinged. Mavis is determined to not only survive, but thrive with the support of her chosen family, a positive attitude, and a cute v-neck with some lip gloss.

Michelle Buteau as Mavis Beaumont 

Tone Bell as Khalil, Mavis's bestie and first phone call since high school. He's a creative and talented artist who has always prided himself on making life choices that keep things simple, affordable (nothing wrong with clipping coupons!), and uncomplicated. But now in his very late 30s, he starts to question what really matters and if life is worth complicating for the right person.
ie_102584-scaled.jpeg

Liza Treyger as Jade 

Tasha Smith as Marley, an early 50's self-made millionaire. She's a woman of NYC status who always has a fresh luxury manicure and the best day and night serums money can buy (we love to see it!). She gives that Aries tell-it-like-it-is energy, but there's still an ever-present warm big sister vibe. She just wants the best for everybody, and she knows what the best is.
Survival_of_the_Thickest_n_S1_E3_00_07_0

Garcelle Beauvais as Natasha Karina
SOTT_104_06755_RC-1.png

Peppermint as Peppermint
ie_102580-scaled.jpeg

Nicole Byer as Nicole Byer
ie_102581-scaled.jpeg

Taylor Selé as Jacque, photographer ex-boyfriend

Marouane Zotti as Luca 

Anissa Felix as India 

Anthony Michael Lopez as Bruce

Allan K. Washington as Trent

Ambre Anderson as Dr. Britta

Anna George as Shira

Mark McKinnon as Davis

Michelle Visage as Avery

Sarah Cooper as Sydney

Becca Blackwell  

Christine Jones 

Hugh Moore 

J. Riley Jr.  

On 7/1/2023 at 10:11 AM, Harvey said:

Based on the title I expected something waaaaay different 🙈. But the premise is interesting enough. 

I hate myself for it but I thought the same thing.

• Love 1

Survival of the Thickest      July 13,2023         Netflix  

Episodes 1-8   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Keep Your Plants Watered, Bitch.
AAAABUX1MgxJ8NxGtkLsUp9ffSr2sF9HGHq81Iz-
After a shocking discovery forces her to make a fresh start, a heartbroken Mavis lets loose during a night out and keeps it real with an old associate.

S01.E02: Be a Bad Boss Bitch, Bitch!
AAAABWOR2nSmccd2_iWbEF90f5TEB1zQhul0nmpE
While adjusting to life as a newly single woman, Mavis takes on a styling gig for a former supermodel who goes viral and inspires a new perspective.

S01.E03: You Did What in Public, Bitch?
AAAABRJEjoZ8BFrKk8-rBzf2eO_7riOQmIZGBQDn
Mavis springs into action when a drag queen has a wardrobe malfunction and a late-night date with a charming stranger turns into a sticky situation.

S01.E04: Are You Crying, Bitch?
AAAABeTze2HQSaMj5C7E99zoXVnyk4EdV8ptan3B
While preparing for a high-profile wedding, Mavis juggles client demands and romantic dilemmas. Marley receives a tempting offer. Khalil shoots his shot.

S01.E05: It’s Any Given Sunday, Bitch!
AAAABTdQHPiV1cjvndlErJrnfJxZWch4x280M0SL
A drop-in visit from an unexpected guest has Mavis questioning her decisions and long-distance relationship. A racist encounter catches Khalil off guard.

S01.E06: Do the Right Thang, Bitch.
AAAABSbzfR0mm4MYZWEITdUeu2p-s5UdiJGup1l-
Booked and busy, Mavis secures a dream job styling a lingerie launch celebrating body positivity but struggles to set boundaries when conflicts arise.

S01.E07: Let It Out, Bitch!
AAAABZI2b-ENfQMdllISow_K7-0lMbyns6gnZBQC
A health emergency pushes an anxious Mavis to find a release and weigh her options as her parents pressure her to give an old flame a second chance.

S01.E08: For a Bigger Purpose, Bitch.
(Season Finale)

AAAABeItpPIUKmNJnN2tvJ78aDTtgI2i3GArSBIC
A tense dinner puts Khalil in the hot seat. While throwing a special teen prom, Mavis gets caught in a predicament and must decide what her heart wants.

Just watched the first episode--loved Mavis and enjoyed the story, visuals, and music overall. I'm a white old lady so didn't get all the hip dialogue, but as a thick girl myself I am happy to see such a positive character in the lead role. And I'm glad she has such a loyal friend in Khalil.

I also liked that the story was realistic about Mavis not getting the lead stylist job if it was a choice between her and Jacques. It would have been too much of a fairytale if she got it and they fired Jacques. It will be interesting to see how she gets good stylist jobs on her own.

Stupid questions, but why did Mavis have to throw up right after she kissed Camden, and what was wrong with the tub? Was she just sick from drinking, or was there something about Camden's mouth? 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Paloma said:

Stupid questions, but why did Mavis have to throw up right after she kissed Camden, and what was wrong with the tub? Was she just sick from drinking, or was there something about Camden's mouth? 

I believe she barfed because the alcohol caught up with her, it wasn't about him at all. The problem with the tub is that it was backed up and didn't drain her vom. That's one of the things he fixed in the morning, after he constructed her furniture. (Why she didn't throw up in the toilet I don't know.)

I recognized Tasha Smith's voice immediately but not her face.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Paloma said:

And I'm glad she has such a loyal friend in Khalil.

There was a moment I loved when Jacque came in while they were leaving and Khalil asked Mavis (quietly, just to her) “What do you need?” Beautiful. I also loved the moment when Garcelle Beauvais’s character saw herself without a corset and was happy.

I think Luca is based on Michelle’s real-life husband, who is from the Netherlands and who she met out one night, started a (very!) long-distance relationship with, and they’re now married with twins. I doubt we’ll see that trajectory here but I think Luca is going to be important.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Based on the first episode, I'm all in. Love the thoughtful smart approach to comedy-writing. I'm already taken with Khalil as the best friend. Love that Garcelle escaped the nasty clutches of the Housewives series to do real acting.

• Like 3

I just finished season 1 (auto-play is so dangerous) and really enjoyed it. I loved Mavis and all of her people and really liked that, even though she's obviously the star/lead, the other characters all had their own story lines and character arcs (I thought Marley's realization could have used more time though).

The only character I would have cut is the roommate who was pointlessly annoying (although the adorable white kitten could have been in every scene and I'd have been happy).

13 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I also loved the moment when Garcelle Beauvais’s character saw herself without a corset and was happy.

I agree. I loved that moment for Natasha. And for Mavis to get some validation for her vision of making anyone, no matter their shape, feel amazing in her designs. Plus, that dress was gorgeous and perfect and, if I were Natasha, I'd never take it off.

• Like 5

Michelle Buteau is such a star. I was most impressed in her grounded dramatic scenes. The scene where she is stoned and tells the story of her being called N-word was just really well performed. I also love the friendship between a straight man and a straight woman. 

I was more into her career than her love life. Some of the sexcapades were not my favourite. This better get a second season!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I was also old as heck and still worried about pleasing my parents so I related!

I couldn't believe Mavis had any doubt at all about Luca's commitment to her after he went to church with her and her mother and sat quietly through the mother's "prayer". If that morning didn't chase him away screaming, I feel like nothing would.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I loved it. 

I'll come back later with details (maybe), but I just wanted to stop in to say how much I really enjoyed this series.

I hope they get a second season, but with the strikes, who knows?

• Like 3
On 7/13/2023 at 11:37 PM, snarktini said:

I recognized Tasha Smith's voice immediately but not her face.

I know! I wish women (especially black women) would stop doing this. You God-given nose is fine. Literally, unless you have a breathing issue that requires reconstruction - leave it alone. The plastic surgeons put the same nose on every face and you are not improving your looks. 

I did like the show. Preferred it a lot over Harlem. Love the friendships on the show. I thought it was odd that Tasha Smith's character was missing from the middle two episodes. It's like she had that conversation with her therapist about sleeping with women and then nothing until she's flirting with the doctor.  

On 7/15/2023 at 7:16 PM, memememe76 said:

Michelle Buteau is such a star.

She really is. Too many scriptwriters and actors are settling for flavor-of-the-week catch phrases and acting choices, and Buteau does it differently, and better. She has the benefit of being intimately familiar with the show, which helps, but she never misses those funny little beats and comedic timing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, roseslg said:

I thought it was odd that Tasha Smith's character was missing from the middle two episodes. It's like she had that conversation with her therapist about sleeping with women and then nothing until she's flirting with the doctor.  

I agree. When she had her apparent realization in therapy, I was excited to see where the story line would go. So I was disappointed they just skipped right over everything. I wonder if the actress wasn't available or they had to cut scenes? After they'd given the guy friend so much screen time to deal with wanting to be a one woman guy, I was expecting more.

On 7/14/2023 at 8:49 PM, akg said:

The only character I would have cut is the roommate who was pointlessly annoying (although the adorable white kitten could have been in every scene and I'd have been happy).

I grew to love the wacky roommate.   I started to look forward to see what black hairstyle she would rock next.   The hairstylist earned their paycheck 😀

1 hour ago, DB in CMH said:

I made it through an episode and a half. It's almost good, but just fell short on almost every measure for me. So many missed opportunities.

Maybe give it another episode or 2.   It started out slow for me too, but by the end I was all in.   

• Like 1