Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: One Small Step

• Start Topic

That was a really nice first episode, I almost forgot how cute this show was. Bill's song was a real bop, no wonder Marvin liked it so much. Not actually seeing him but seeing him things from his point of view was a really cool idea. 

"Before Twitter, old men just yelled their conspiracy theories at their sons."

• Like 9
  • Love 2

I laughed, I cried, I smiled. I'm so happy this show is back.

I loved Dean's friendship with the neighbor, and Bill realizing he was wrong about the neighbor, putting his comfort aside to learn more, and ultimately forming a friendship that led to his music success.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

Does anyone remember the line Bill said when he decided to enjoy the moon landing instead of staying stuck in a solely skeptical point of view? I thought he was going to repurpose the line for his songwriting, but now I can't remember what the line was.

I got the sense that Bill was writing more for the Marvin Gaye who had done the classic love duets, but his style had changed and Bill needed to write for the singer's new style. 

I like Bill setting aside his issues with his neighber because 1) a gig's a gig and more importantly 2) the neighbor had been helpful to Bill and Dean when he didn't have to be. 

I kind of wished Dean had mentioned that the Stonewall riots had happened, but that he wasn't aware of it at the time and didn't realize how important it was until decades later. 

Also I think I've figured out the timeline for season 1. It starts in Spring of 1968, then it skips the summer and Fall of 1968/a semester at school, then we pick up second semester/Spring of 1969. Season 2 picks up a month or two from where season 1 ends.  

• Like 11
On 6/15/2023 at 1:51 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Also I think I've figured out the timeline for season 1. It starts in Spring of 1968, then it skips the summer and Fall of 1968/a semester at school, then we pick up second semester/Spring of 1969. Season 2 picks up a month or two from where season 1 ends.  

Yes that sounds right. 

This episode was a great start to the season, I had forgotten how charming this show was. 

The jokes in this show are FUNNY.  I can tell Elisha Williams is older. 

• Like 1
On 6/15/2023 at 1:51 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I like Bill setting aside his issues with his neighber because 1) a gig's a gig and more importantly 2) the neighbor had been helpful to Bill and Dean when he didn't have to be. 

I think that dynamic was pretty realistic- Bill wasn’t malicious or hateful towards his neighbor (because he’s not that type of person), but he was uncomfortable. Even in his discomfort he attempted to be respectful and didn’t expect the neighbor to change to make HIM feel better . Also given Bill was a working musician I’m sure he had come across a number of people in his field that we would now identify as LGBTQ+, and respected the man’s talent. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 6/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I kind of wished Dean had mentioned that the Stonewall riots had happened, but that he wasn't aware of it at the time and didn't realize how important it was until decades later. 

I did too.  But Dean and his dad likely arrived around the time it happened, so he could have known about it.  I actually thought Lonny was hitting on Bill for a moment or two.  Or maybe he was.  Lol.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
21 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I did too.  But Dean and his dad likely arrived around the time it happened, so he could have known about it.  I actually thought Lonny was hitting on Bill for a moment or two.  Or maybe he was.  Lol.  

I think Lonny knew a good looking man when he saw one and couldn’t help himself!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Maybe, they could have known about Stonewall but doubtful. My understanding was that it in most of the publications Dean or more likely Bill would have been reading, coverage of Stonewall would have been a short paragraph deep into the paper, not major front page above the fold multi-day coverage coverage. 

• Like 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Maybe, they could have known about Stonewall but doubtful. My understanding was that it in most of the publications Dean or more likely Bill would have been reading, coverage of Stonewall would have been a short paragraph deep into the paper, not major front page above the fold multi-day coverage coverage. 

Different times (comparing that to the Pulse incident a few years ago).  

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 1