Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Complications

• Start Topic

So Peia's doing power stuff in the evil lair which must be lead lined since Supes can't find them. Clearing ones throat always means something on tv so I bet her powers will either bring back her cancer or give her some other illness.

I like how enthused Kyle is about Clark being Superman.

It doesn't matter what the show is my tolerance for characters calling each other "babe" is extremely low. Kyle and Chrissy are not endearing themselves to me right now.

Ha! Hooters Bazoombas is catering her Night Before party after all.

Jordan's being like this because he's a teenager in the middle of his sulky phase. He isn't at a place where he can be your friend Sarah so move on until he is and then reassess. 

Glad Lois and Clark found humor in him taking her phone before surgery. 

Sarah, Jordan being a brat is not your fault. The DUI sucks, yes, but you can still go to college and have life. I hope she goes to therapy.

Lois going into surgery is a logical time for Jordan's anxiety to come screaming back. Oh and now x-ray powers which won't be helpful in the hospital. SnuggleMuffin helping him through the attack is a nice touch. I want Jon to become an EMT.

That was a lovely talk from Kyle to Sarah. She definitely heard him and we know she's feel better based on her reaction to him suggesting she be a waitress at the diner. 

Supes, grab Peia and take her to a deserted island so her powers won't hurt anyone.

Peia's insides look pretty hot. Maybe Supes should freeze breath her a little?

I honestly hope there's no fallout from Jordan speeding in the OR to right the nitrogen tank but it would make sense if there were since it's a sterile environment.

Peia's powers implode and kill her. Her final message to her family is sweet. 

Lana and Kyle are settling into friends post-marriage well.

I think I would like the Kyle and Chrissy part of the story if they were lifelong best friends instead of a romantic relationship.

Bizarro's awake! Took you long enough dude.

I get not wanting to postpone surgery, but perhaps it's not a good idea to do it when the city is suffering from mysterious earthquakes and the hospital's generators clearly aren't impervious. 

• Like 8

Why is the DOD making deals with Mannheim and not the DOJ?

Shouldn't the old subway hideout be crawling with DOD troops, CSI personnel, structural engineers, etc.?

Hey, Kyle and Chrissy - not at work, guys, not at work.

• Useful 1

Really good episode. You really felt for the Mannheims while Peia was suffering even if they are bad guys. Yikes at the way Peia pasted that minion into the wall when she yet again lost control

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

I get not wanting to postpone surgery, but perhaps it's not a good idea to do it when the city is suffering from mysterious earthquakes and the hospital's generators clearly aren't impervious. 

I got the feeling  Lois was hinting that Superman could somehow crank the generators at superspeed if necessary.  Maybe I just read too many comics where Superman used to perform these kind of stunts.

Poor Jordan, developing X-ray vision while at a hospital.  Not the best place for that to happen.

13 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Why is the DOD making deals with Mannheim and not the DOJ?

Shouldn't the old subway hideout be crawling with DOD troops, CSI personnel, structural engineers, etc.?

I'm guessing the DOD has jurisdiction over metas? Kind of the 'MBI'.  Marvel has a similar issue, since the government over there also really wants to imprison superpowered people without due process. Marvel seems to be better at it though, Lane should visit and take notes.

That lead lined old thing? I suspect it isn't a priority. Injuries and obvious damage would come first, like the working parts of the subway, sky scrapers, and hospital structures. . the question that immediately came to my mind is, hey, is he Zombie Superman? Wow! Also, how are his batteries charged, these days? I hope he is all better and can have beers back home. I wonder if we will get to see how Tal is doing? But he is probably a zombie.

The dod had was it Wilson? imprisioned when he started to develop the tumors, Superman flies him back to Manning and Manning uses the opportunity to browbeat Superman. My guess is that Manning's 'cure' hasn't progressed a lot beyond that point. Stops cancer for a while, then tumors proliferate and they need another dose of the 'cure'. It is a maintenance cure  and is entirely dependent on many many human rights violations.  I also think that Matteo was only told there was a cure, and Peia possibly didn't know the extent of what he was doing.  Natalie and John watching Matteo and Bruno was moving, you could see them remembering their own loss.

When Jordan's x ray vision starts we actually see that his reaction is a lot like he used to behave when younger, both Jonathan and Clark comment on it. Jordan isn't a sulky teenager, he is someone who is doing very well dealing with a serious anxiety problem and also x ray vision. It makes sense that he will get worse under pressure, and Sarah is on the receiving end of that, but she is doing something very similar and backsliding into her own negative thought patterns.

I suspect Lois insisting on having the surgery is also an insight into her character, a reminder that this surgery scares her on a very basic level and threatens her self image and (on an emotional/not realistic level) her sense of personal self worth. She really really doesn't want to ramp up to this point again, and I get that.

• Like 3

I was getting "assisted suicide" vibes from the dialogue between Superman and Peia near the end (along the lines of she wanted it to end, and he could help her), but it's unclear what he actually did for her when he flew her up into the clouds. Did he do this so she could safely let out one final blast of sound with her dying breath, without causing further destruction on Earth? Or did taking her up to space or wherever he took her actually render her unconscious (with little or no oxygen) and ultimately dead? 

I thought that it was interesting for the writers to even hint at assisted suicide, because it is so controversial. But it is a topic that often comes up in relation to terminal patients who have unmanageable pain (or pain that can only be managed by possibly fatal doses of morphine).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

I was getting "assisted suicide" vibes from the dialogue between Superman and Peia near the end (along the lines of she wanted it to end, and he could help her), but it's unclear what he actually did for her when he flew her up into the clouds. Did he do this so she could safely let out one final blast of sound with her dying breath, without causing further destruction on Earth? Or did taking her up to space or wherever he took her actually render her unconscious (with little or no oxygen) and ultimately dead? 

I thought that it was interesting for the writers to even hint at assisted suicide, because it is so controversial. But it is a topic that often comes up in relation to terminal patients who have unmanageable pain (or pain that can only be managed by possibly fatal doses of morphine).

Yes I got the impression he flew her up so she could let go without hurting people, but also that both of them knew it was a one way trip.  Also that. Y doing so he acknowledged to himself that he might need to let Lois go, too. People learn from experience, without the death of his Lois could Irons have forgiven Bruno? The characters are really well developed. It will.be a shame if they don't get more time. 

• Like 2

That was a really nice ending to the Bruno/Peia story, or at least this part of it. I really felt for them at the end, even if they're the bas guys they were clearly a very happy and loving family. Hopefully Matteo comes out of this alright, he did something wrong but for really understandable reasons. He presumably wasn't thinking about what his mom could do with her powers, he just wanted her not to die. My guess is that Bruno's cure could temporarily cure cancer but then it would come back even stronger, especially for a person with powers, which causes their powers to go boom along with the tumors. The scene where Clark flew her away from the city to die without hurting anyone was really moving, as was the empathy that Nat and John ended up showing towards Bruno and Matteo. Despite everything, they know what its like to watch their wife/mom die.

Jordan is being extra moody lately, which is understandable considering everything going on, but I still felt really bad when he pretty much told Sara to fuck herself. At least Lana and Kyle are acting quickly on Sara's spiraling so she doesn't end up in a bad place again, she has so much going on. I would like to see them make up soon, their dealing with so much hopefully they could lean on each other.

Really great scene where Jonathan talked Jordan through a panic attack, it was really well acted from everyone and it makes total sense for Jordan to have a panic attack right then. Getting your x-ray vision at a hospital is one of the worst places I can imagine getting it, especially as his mom is going into surgery. Jonathan really does have a very nurturing way about him.

I get that its important to keep a surgery going, but when the whole city seems to be falling apart, it might be time to put the surgery on hold. 

• Like 3

Jordan now gets X-ray powers and seems to now be handling them fine after the initial pain.  Trying to remember what Superman-type powers is left; if any; for him to acquire.  Jonathan continues to be the best (only?) superpower brother whisper on the planet!

Looks like the majority of the Bruno subplot has been wrapped up, despite having two episodes left.  Figured Peia was doomed, but at least she had a friendly face to help her go out on her own terms and avoided more collateral damage.  Meanwhile, Bruno is probably to get locked up, but at least he is going to make sure Matteo is looked after.  Despite his actions, Matteo really is still just a teen who led his feeling towards his parents make him do a questionable action and I don't think locking him away or anything would have done them any favors.  Overall, still one of my favorite antagonists out of CW D.C. line-up.

Kyle's excitement over learning that Clark is actually Superman was great.  But I guess it isn't too surprising that he would initially get pissy with Chrissy over her hiding things from him and even flat-out claiming he was wrong at one point.  But I'm glad he came around at the end on that front.  And he continues to step up with Sarah as well.  Glad he and Lana were on top of things when they saw the signs that Sarah was spiraling again and headed it off for now.

Glad the surgery went well, but Lois really was playing with fire by not postponing with all the mayhem going on.

So, I'm guessing the final two episodes will now be about a returning Bizarro.  I also still think we have to see Lex at some point since they bothered to cast a recognizable actor for his voice and everything a few episodes ago.

• Like 2
On 6/6/2023 at 5:59 PM, scarynikki12 said:

It doesn't matter what the show is my tolerance for characters calling each other "babe" is extremely low.

Omigod I really hate this! As wonderfully as the show presents the relationship between Lois and Clark, I think it was one or two episodes ago they kept calling each other babe, and it was driving.me.CRAZY!!!

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Really great scene where Jonathan talked Jordan through a panic attack, it was really well acted from everyone and it makes total sense for Jordan to have a panic attack right then. Getting your x-ray vision at a hospital is one of the worst places I can imagine getting it, especially as his mom is going into surgery. Jonathan really does have a very nurturing way about him.

6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Jordan now gets X-ray powers and seems to now be handling them fine after the initial pain.  Trying to remember what Superman-type powers is left; if any; for him to acquire.  Jonathan continues to be the best (only?) superpower brother whisper on the planet!

So, so beautiful!  Jonathan ftw! Also, was anyone else thinking about the scene in Man of Steel (Amy Adams, Henry Cavill) when Clark’s mom was helping him through his first episode of Xray-itis anxiety?  

• Like 2
On 6/7/2023 at 11:42 AM, Affogato said:

When Jordan's x ray vision starts we actually see that his reaction is a lot like he used to behave when younger, both Jonathan and Clark comment on it. Jordan isn't a sulky teenager, he is someone who is doing very well dealing with a serious anxiety problem and also x ray vision. It makes sense that he will get worse under pressure, and Sarah is on the receiving end of that, but she is doing something very similar and backsliding into her own negative thought patterns.

No reason he can't be both!  Because we never see the kids at school it comes across as Jordan's social circle being limited to his brother, his alternate reality half sister (although she's not really his sister), and Sarah.  Didn't he make a bunch of friends because of football?  If he's backslid that much then he needs some counseling too, because treating Sarah like crap isn't exactly helping.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, baldryanr said:

No reason he can't be both!  Because we never see the kids at school it comes across as Jordan's social circle being limited to his brother, his alternate reality half sister (although she's not really his sister), and Sarah.  Didn't he make a bunch of friends because of football?  If he's backslid that much then he needs some counseling too, because treating Sarah like crap isn't exactly helping.

I think Jonathan, with the new actor, has been given a pass this season. Mostly fairly pleasant and positive, and maybe if we get a fourth season he will be delivered more angst and moodiness. The other teens sure are sulky, though, which is normal. I think one of the show long arcs is Clark struggling to pay enough attention to his boys and this is kind of the payoff. Maybe everyone who will accept it could use therapy, but Jordan really needs some of his father's undivided attention. I also think Clark gets some of the social anxiety stuff, too, we've seen the traces.

He did make friends when he was on the football team and it was really a big deal for him, but we haven't seen a lot of the aftermath. I get the impression that he isn't hated, but that he has slipped back into obscurity.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2023 at 3:00 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Jordan now gets X-ray powers and seems to now be handling them fine after the initial pain.  Trying to remember what Superman-type powers is left; if any; for him to acquire. 

Classic Superman has among his power set: super-strength, super-speed, super-hearing, flight, invulnerability, freeze breath, heat vision, x-ray vision and other vision powers. Jordan has shown, I think, all but some of the remaining vision powers. I don't think we have seen him with either telescopic, microscopic or infrared vision. Then again, I don't know that we have seen this Clark demonstrate those particular vision powers either.

S&L Clark also has super-smelling abilities that I at least don't remember it ever being said Classic Superman has. I don't think Jordan has demonstrated super-smelling either.

Arrowverse Superman/Supergirl also had the ability to "solar flare:" to expel all their stored solar energy in one massive burst that would leave them effectively normal until they could recharge in a day or two. S&L Clark may not have that ability, and we haven't seen Jordan try it.

On 6/6/2023 at 7:59 PM, scarynikki12 said:

So Peia's doing power stuff in the evil lair which must be lead lined since Supes can't find them. Clearing ones throat always means something on tv so I bet her powers will either bring back her cancer or give her some other illness.

I like how enthused Kyle is about Clark being Superman.

It doesn't matter what the show is my tolerance for characters calling each other "babe" is extremely low. Kyle and Chrissy are not endearing themselves to me right now.

Ha! Hooters Bazoombas is catering her Night Before party after all.

Jordan's being like this because he's a teenager in the middle of his sulky phase. He isn't at a place where he can be your friend Sarah so move on until he is and then reassess. 

Glad Lois and Clark found humor in him taking her phone before surgery. 

Sarah, Jordan being a brat is not your fault. The DUI sucks, yes, but you can still go to college and have life. I hope she goes to therapy.

Lois going into surgery is a logical time for Jordan's anxiety to come screaming back. Oh and now x-ray powers which won't be helpful in the hospital. SnuggleMuffin helping him through the attack is a nice touch. I want Jon to become an EMT.

That was a lovely talk from Kyle to Sarah. She definitely heard him and we know she's feel better based on her reaction to him suggesting she be a waitress at the diner. 

Supes, grab Peia and take her to a deserted island so her powers won't hurt anyone.

Peia's insides look pretty hot. Maybe Supes should freeze breath her a little?

I honestly hope there's no fallout from Jordan speeding in the OR to right the nitrogen tank but it would make sense if there were since it's a sterile environment.

Peia's powers implode and kill her. Her final message to her family is sweet. 

Lana and Kyle are settling into friends post-marriage well.

I think I would like the Kyle and Chrissy part of the story if they were lifelong best friends instead of a romantic relationship.

Bizarro's awake! Took you long enough dude.

I know that powers wax and wane as needed by plot, but it literally doesn't make sense to me that Peia could be making these sounds and Superman couldn't use superhearing to figure out where they were coming from...until he could. I wish they had put some sort of fig leaf to explain what happened.

Was it just me, or was the bag literally a "Hooters" bag rather than the fictional Bazoombas?

Kyle was talking to Clark about how surprised he was that he was Superman, and apologized for stuffing him in a locker when they were in high school.  I liked Clark's understated threat:  "Maybe let's just not try it again".

Nice ending to the Bruno Mannheim story, if it is in fact the end.  Him coming clean to save his son allows him to keep being a somewhat sympathetic villain.  It will be interesting to see where things go between Mateo and Nat, if anywhere.

On 6/9/2023 at 12:54 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Was it just me, or was the bag literally a "Hooters" bag rather than the fictional Bazoombas?

I def said BazOOmbas.  Kyle whining about someone covering for Supes secret identity was perhaps the lamest thing ever.

Cry me a river for the Mannheims.   Guess the guy who was splattered all over the subway car gets a hand-wave as long as the Mannheims have their dramatic family farewell.

Was I the only one hoping Peia literally exploded up in the clouds and that Superman would float back down empty-handed?   If any other character who didn't have cancer had committed the same crimes as Peia, Lois would have regarded her as a monster.

And the audacity of Bruno challenging Henry, "Show me what kind of man you really are!"  Excuse me, Bruno, aren't you and your wife mass murderers?

The Mannheims showed next to no remorse for any of the crimes they committed.   What they seemed most upset about was their plans being thwarted, first by Superman/Lois/Irons, then by Peia's disease winning in the end.

This script was totally misguided.  The writers tried too hard to draw parallels between the Kents and the Mannheims and seemed to conclude, yeah, so what if one family is a bunch of do-gooders and the other murders people to suit their needs, cancer is the great equalizer. 

What a crock of melodramatic phooey.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1