Type keyword(s) to search

Utopia (US) Live Feed Discussion

A business class by Kristen?

Maybe it is in the vein of What Not to Wear?  Of course, step 1 would be to not enroll in a class run by Kristen.

ETA:

Chris has not endeared himself in general, but he's actually came across as the voice of reason a few times in the last few days.  Who da thunk it?  But he got the raw end of this deal.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 3
Kristen is going on about how she was influenced by Pastor Jon saying there were bad things going on in the world right now and had a dream that "something bad was happening in Turkey," so now she really wants to know if that's true.

She wants to pretend she's having psychic dreams now? 

Anyway, the 'food meeting' is this afternoon I believe.

Everything's a meeting with this group.  I realize they need to discuss things, but they seem to turn everything into such a production.  They're like the most inefficient corporation.  Meetings, and meetings to discuss when to have meetings, and meetings to talk about how the meetings went.   Meantime, the stuff that actually gets decided and done happens outside of the meetings.

He was very upset that Mike turned his attempt at an honest punishment into a racial thing and that now America is going to think Chris is a racist and he's not.

If it's any comfort to him, most of America won't think he's a racist, because most of America has never heard of him.   I keep forget these guys think America is actually watching this show.

• Love 3

Kristen is going on about how she was influenced by Pastor Jon saying there were bad things going on in the world right now and had a dream that "something bad was happening in Turkey," so now she really wants to know if that's true.

It's a psychic dream - she's foreseeing the very bad things that will happen when Aaron's makes his Thanksgiving feast that he's been on about.

• Love 6

I wonder what end-of-times level "bad things" Jon is referring to? ISIS? Ebola? Because those are pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

Perhaps Jon is more the kind of guy who thinks that things like the spread of legal gay marriage or Obamacare are signs of the apocalypse?

ETA:

I think that Kristen's dream is proof positive of my theory that given the Topes' isolation, their minds become a blank canvas, allowing them to perceive whatever they want to from vague and unreliable inputs from outsiders. It seems pretty cruel. One of the first things cults do to their victims is minimise contact with the outside world

Edited by In Pog Form
  • Love 1

Cal and Nikki had a long conversation today. I floated in and out of it because there was way too much "energy" and "harmony" and Cal being condescending ("Nikki, I think you're right on the cusp of becoming an adult. I want to support you in that.")

But anyway, he was talking to her about how he thinks she needs to take more responsibility for her own food instead of expecting other people to take care of her. I guess yesterday at dinner she said something about how it was 6 weeks in and they're still eating rice and beans. Then she started "grouchily" cutting up cabbage for herself.

Nikki: "You didn't have any of the cabbage!"

Cal: "I didn't. There was no love in that cabbage."

• Love 4

This show is already a casting disaster - why bring a new level of hateful into the mix?

I think they need to bring in a hardcore leftist, not just a feminist who focuses on identity politics or an animal rights activist. Someone from the Chris Hedges/OWS vein who is not afraid to get into someone's face and fight for what is right. There needs to be some pushback on the current power structure which is filled with Ayn Rand devotees and moral degenerates. 

• Love 3

Here's the tweet:  Don't worry, #Utopia fans... your patience will be rewarded... get ready to crap your pants.

Coincidentally after the recent disclosure that the integrity of information used in viewing audience measurement was compromised this fall, A.C. Nielsen & Co. announced that pants crapping will be instituted as a new data point for its television ratings service.

It's not for nothin' Kroll is considered a visionary executive producer...

Edited by kib
  • Love 6

I thought that was because of the Ayahuasca.

Pretty sure that's a selection on the Coca-Cola Freestyle machine found in production's craft services trailer...

• Love 1

Here's the Big Surprise!

JK just tweeted this:

Jon Kroll @hippykid · 1m1 minute ago
Sorry, Utopians, due to reasons beyond my control surprise is ON HOLD. Will update when I have one. Speculate away. But i have to go dark.

<sigh>

• Love 2

Is the executive producer as big a douchebag as he comes across on twitter?

This "big surprise" seems like a boat load of bull, and will most likely end up being something very stupid.

It feels like a stab at trying to get it to go viral to up their numbers. 

What a load of crap.

• Love 2

Jon Kroll @hippykid · 1m1 minute ago

Sorry, Utopians, due to reasons beyond my control surprise is ON HOLD. Will update when I have one. Speculate away. But i have to go dark.

My pants inform me they are pleased with the reprieve...

• Love 7

They cut the live feeds because Hex received word of a death outside Utopia?

So, let me get this straight, something compelling happens on reality TV... something "real"... and they go dark.

This is one hell of a reality show.

• Love 10

Here's the Big Surprise!

JK just tweeted this:

<sigh>

I misread that at first and thought he was essentially saying the show had been canceled.  Oh well. 

That said, I for one haven't been visiting this thread as much because honestly none of this sounds all that interesting anymore.  It's pretty much devolved into counselor-less sleep away camp and nothing that's going one really matters.  Issues are dropped without any resolution and people's grievances change from day to day. Plus the issues with people like Mike and Aaron end up just making the show such a slog to read about. But I do appreciate the effort from those of you still giving updates.

• Love 3

If anything, his Twitter feeds probably makes him seem much less of a douchebag than he actually is.

Funny how he plays up that he's the big man in charge, but suddenly things are "beyond his control." Own up to your screw-ups, dude. Why did you allow something to be beyond your control, when you're the damn producer?

• Love 3
They cut the live feeds because Hex received word of a death outside Utopia?

So, let me get this straight, something compelling happens on reality TV... something "real"... and they go dark.

This is one hell of a reality show.

In general it annoys me that they've been muting so much on the feeds, but I'll give them a break in the case of one of the topes receiving word of someone's death (her friend's dad, I think?).  Grief isn't entertainment.  Since they've been muting so much else, if they'd kept the feeds going at that point it would have been kinda ghoulish.

• Love 3

This "big surprise" seems like a boat load of bull, and will most likely end up being something very stupid.

It feels like a stab at trying to get it to go viral to up their numbers.

What a load of crap.

I wonder if whatever the "big surprise" is ... it was going to cost a chunk of change, but JK got a note from Fox that they may be getting the hook very soon and decided to nix any more expenditures. 

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

The whole thing went dark because Hex's friend's father died? 

I don't particularly feel the need to watch a stranger's grief up close and personal in real time, but they installed hundreds of cameras and microphones and set up all the 24/7 "live feed" business-- ostensibly to cover every minute of the formation of this great new experimental society.  Unexpected sorrow is going to be a part of any community over the course of a year, no?

So maybe Production could show some respect and not train three cameras on Hex weeping over in the corner, but I would be extremely interested in knowing what's going on with everyone else.  Did they stop being self-centered morons and rise to the occasion to support their sad friend or are the guys drawing straws to see who gets to "comfort" Hex while she's vulnerable?   Did anyone make the girl a bowl of soup or volunteer to take her milking shift? 

Some of the Topes might have gone against character and surprised us, in good ways or bad.  Unfortunately, when Kroll has "no control" over something, i.e. something genuine, his immediate reaction is to shut it all down.  Idiot. 

• Love 4

[. . .] A.C. Nielsen & Co. announced that pants crapping will be instituted as a new data point for its television ratings service.

It's not for nothin' Kroll is considered a visionary executive producer...

My pants inform me they are pleased with the reprieve...

Kib, I had my dainty nose all perfectly wrinkled up with distaste for that vulgar cretin, and then you had to go and make me laugh.

More pants posts!

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

I don't understand why people going to a tv show website would be motivated to donate to a family without knowing anything about the circumstances. Do people do that? I'm a generous person, but my charitable donations are always for causes I believe in or people I know.

I'm too cynical to donate to a family just based on seeing their friend on a reality show.

• Love 6

Thanks for the clarification, Andyourlittledog2. I had noticed that Hex was crying all day, so the timing of the feeds going down couldn't have coincided with her finding out, but I didn't know exactly what had happened instead. That makes sense.

And I'm glad to hear they got the sleeping bags and blankets distributed equitably.

• Love 3

I wonder if Hex hadn't been so upset if there would have been more fighting over the sleeping bags?  The exchange went surprisingly smoothly.  

My problem is that these 9 sleeping bags and 4 blankets were bartered for 4 pieces of jewelry and a Chris painting.  Equitable?

Poor Hex was really distressed.  I hope she got a blanket/sleeping bag for herself.  At least Amanda and Taylor were looking out for her.

Edited by EverCat
  • Love 2

The whole thing went dark because Hex's friend's father died?

I don't particularly feel the need to watch a stranger's grief up close and personal in real time, but they installed hundreds of cameras and microphones and set up all the 24/7 "live feed" business-- ostensibly to cover every minute of the formation of this great new experimental society.  Unexpected sorrow is going to be a part of any community over the course of a year, no?

They should show both the highs and lows of life in the Utopia compound.  And not to sound callous, but it wasn't even a family member, so why was Hex even told about it ?  Do they have a notification list for each pioneer if something bad happens to specific people they know ?  Ever since Johnny Fairplay on Survivor, I'm a bit jaded about "sudden" news about dead relatives on reality shows. And then there was the case of Frankie on BB16 who had an actual dead relative but he played it up for all the sympathy he could (even by crying when he was alone only after making sure he had good camera angles for the live feeds).

She said the financial problems were dire and she was torn about what to do but decided it was better to stay in Utopia and help that way (the stipend) rather than quit.

Hate to tell Hex, but the stipend isn't going to pay for much after taxes.  Sure, she lives with her parents so she will be able to give it all away, but at $1000/week, so far she's only made about $7000 (before taxes) living in Utopia (and let's be serious, this show isn't going to last much longer).

I don't understand why people going to a tv show website would be motivated to donate to a family without knowing anything about the circumstances. Do people do that? I'm a generous person, but my charitable donations are always for causes I believe in or people I know.

I'm too cynical to donate to a family just based on seeing their friend on a reality show.

I agree with @backformore -- there's so much charitable scamming out there that you need to really do your homework before donating to a cause, especially if it's related to some reality show star/famewhore.  ESPN did a good report last year on sports star related charities that gave little or no money to the cause it was setup for, and these were charities set up by (supposedly) respectable sports stars. So donating to some unknown entity that you nothing about is even riskier.

• Love 2

My problem is that these 9 sleeping bags and 4 blankets were bartered for 4 pieces of jewelry and a Chris painting.  Equitable?

Production driven to cause dissent among the hamsters.

While I appreciate them not utilizing Hex' grief as entertainment, for a show that promotes itself on 24/7 access by mikes and camera, it could have been handled differently rather than muting everything or blank feeds.  Have a couple of Topes talking about it (since they are clearly scripted from Production anyway) so the basics are known (death of someone she was close to) and just let Hex be allowed to be given some time mike & camera free.  All things considered, this is the most humane consideration they've given so I guess I should not look that gift horse in the mouth.

From the Joker's live feed summay thread:

"Rob, Aaron and Mike talking about Rob's govt and having Nikki cook brkfst and dinner for 3 days. But make it at end of the week when food is scarce."

"Also, they plan to not tell her till the day before after noon so she cant order any more food or get someone to help her."

Doing a great job guys!   Society is proud!

• Love 10

Yep, I watched this this morning. I didn't know what was going on, but the plan was pretty transparent as it happened.

Rob told Nikki she could cook for 3 days, but they weren't going to order any extra food so as not to make it a big deal. But her days to cook are Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and I'm sure Aaron will use up everything useful between now and then. Rob sounded very positive telling Nikki about it, saying he was excited and hoped she was too.

Then he went back, telling Kristen, Dedeker, Hex, etc. that they should be prepared to be hungry for the next few days because Nikki was going to cook, and then went inside and reported back to Aaron about how it was going to be so awful.

• Love 2

It speaks volumes that TPTB on this show think that this is what the general public wants to see in a reality show.

Thankfully, the ratings also speak volumes.

These are some horrible people all the way around.

• Love 7

Hate to tell Hex, but the stipend isn't going to pay for much after taxes.  Sure, she lives with her parents so she will be able to give it all away, but at $1000/week, so far she's only made about $7000 (before taxes) living in Utopia (and let's be serious, this show isn't going to last much longer).

Hex likely thinks she's getting famous and popular by being on the show. A number of reality stars make a decent amount of money on paid appearances and such. From inside, it probably seems a better bet to stay, get the stipend and more potential loot on the other side. It's going to be a rude awakening when they get out of there and realize they're approximately as famous as the costumed characters who loiter around Times Square selling pictures to tourists.

• Love 3

especially if it's related to some reality show star/famewhore.

Hahahahaha, totally off-topic, but anyone remember Joey Fatone donating his celebrity winnings from some cooking competition to "The Fatone Family Charitable Foundation"?

I'm bummed about this new scheme to sabotage Nikki.  Are they really so enchanted with Aaron's swill they don't want to give anyone else a fair shot?  Nikki's meals might not have enough animal-based protein to suit some, but test driving alternative chefs seems like a capital idea (as we've discussed.)

I'll just add right here that I saw a recent photo of Kristin and did a doubletake at her weight gain.  No judgment whatsoever on that, but it's just so outrageous that the chef's best bud is gaining while his targets are so often hungry.  Fie on his Arro[n]gance!

• Love 8

Hahahahaha, totally off-topic, but anyone remember Joey Fatone donating his celebrity winnings from some cooking competition to "The Fatone Family Charitable Foundation"?

The Human Fund

• Love 3

Had to take a short break from the Utopians--last week my husband was telling me about his day, and I found myself saying "yeahyeahyeah, right right right."  I knew then, I had to get away for awhile.  I have tried keeping up with the Udopians but frankly between the horrible backstabbing, the alcohol and Kristen and Taylor's use of "like" for every other word they say,  is just too much like the real world and I'm finding it quite boring.  What have they done that brings a new society to the table?  Now Rob and his merry band of cage rattlers are "making" Nikki do all of the cooking for 3 days with little food resources and, as Rob has declared, no help in the kitchen.  I just read on the chats that one of the posters received 2 emails from Bella--one saying her bid on Bella's painting was accepted and the other saying her PayPal account was being charged for the amount.  She said shortly after that, she received a 3rd email from Kristen saying her money was being refunded.  So now their plan is to starve Bella out by secretly not selling her paintings???  Kristen's willing to hurt the entire group just to make a point with Bella--who, by the way, seems to be the only one who brings in a substantial and dependable flow of money.  Yeah Kristen, being baptized does not mean you can continue being mean and petty without consequences.  I'm only watching at this point to see what the big "surprise" is and to see how this debacle finally bites the dust.  I don't like any of them anymore.  

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 7

The jerk store called.  They want Festivus back.

I suppose none of them can spare-a-square either. They are so selfish!  They should do the airing of grievances!  Maybe then, they could stop being such back stabbers!  I am surprised that Aaron hasn't tried preparing the food while in the shower like Kramer. THAT'S a time & water saver! lol!

• Love 4

Update on the "big surprise":

Jon Kroll @hippykid · 3m 3 minutes ago

Hey, all, no update because I got schooled for blabbing what was SUPPOSED to happen. But more soon. Deep into fniishing Friday's #Utopia now

Big shocker from Kroll, I've strung you all along for the last 3 days or so and now can't tell you what the surprise is. Now I really doubt there will even be a surprise at all. This show just can't deliver.

Also on a side note, heard today that Rob and Taylor want to start implementing "Pizza Fridays" since they all enjoyed the bachelor party pizza. What has this show become? Now I can't even compare it to Big Brother Outdoors Edition because at least they don't have access to ordering pizza. What happened to no prepared foods?

Oh and another of Kristen's new business plans is setting up a blog. So we get to pay money to watch her on the feeds sit at a computer all day and spew her thoughts that no one cares about and will probably not even read.

• Love 4
Also on a side note, heard today that Rob and Taylor want to start implementing "Pizza Fridays" since they all enjoyed the bachelor party pizza. What has this show become?

What's really pathetic is that the topes are the kind of people who think that they're becoming famous and that their "fans" are happy to tune in and watch Pizza Fridays.  Forget about building a society; it's all about being one of the mean kids and eating pizza.  It's going to come as a shock to quite a few of them when they find that the only people who know who they are think that they're an appalling bunch of dopes.

I just read on the chats that one of the posters received 2 emails from Bella--one saying her bid on Bella's painting was accepted and the other saying her PayPal account was being charged for the amount.  She said shortly after that, she received a 3rd email from Kristen saying her money was being refunded.  So now their plan is to starve Bella out by secretly not selling her paintings???

If that's true, then I hope someone sneaks a message into one of their bids to Bella, letting her know what happened.  Kristen is awful anyway, but if she's trying to undermine Bella, then she's even more of an idiot than I realized.  First of all, they could use the money Bella makes.  Secondly, Bella's not the most even-keeled person to start with.  Shaking up anything in her life is only going to make things harder for her and for everyone who has to listen to her later.  That said, Bella's artwork - at least the one on the pioneers' FB page - is quite lovely.  

• Love 4

From Jokers:

Mike telling Rob about being pulled into Production and being told "if you know what's good for you- STOP. Enough is enough..." He mentions that online it took on a life of it's own and that's NUTS. HUGE. They talk about BBKim. They talk about being portrayed as bullies and rattling. Not sure if they are referring to Bella or Nikki but I think it's Nikki.
Mike says Kristen is really shook up and worried about her "brand".

Kristen has a brand????

• Love 4

I totally agree backformore, I think this is asking a little too much. This was my first reaction too. Why should anyone be asked to donate money for this?

BTW, has anyone seen Hex's jewelry? I'm curious as to what it looks like.

Hahahahaha, totally off-topic, but anyone remember Joey Fatone donating his celebrity winnings from some cooking competition to "The Fatone Family Charitable Foundation"?

I alway laugh that he pronounces his name FA-Tone when it reads as Fat-one. 

Edited by jellywager
  • Love 2
Cal is awful. He is filled with all kinds of superficial philosophies and religious thought and makes a mish mash of them to try to manipulate everyone around him. He is very calculating.

I'm surprised that Cal hasn't pissed on Nikki's leg in order to mark his territory. </snark>

• Love 4

Update on the "big surprise":

Big shocker from Kroll, I've strung you all along for the last 3 days or so and now can't tell you what the surprise is. Now I really doubt there will even be a surprise at all. This show just can't deliver.

Please.  There was never a "surprise", the whole debacle was scripted, I'm sure.

• Love 3
Other than Nikki he pretty much isolates himself from the group.

Possibly because they'd see through his bullshit.  He sounds predatory and Nikki is easy prey because she doesn't expect the people around her to be predators.

Can you imagine what it would be like if he, Mike, Bri and Aaron were the only ones there and tried to outdo each other's manipulations?   Cal would try to use his cult-leader brainwashing/isolation techniques on them, but Aaron would get all defensive and turn it around on Cal and call him a racist, while Mike uses deflection and tries to get them all worked up about other things entirely and Bri would pretend to be all innocent and sweet until that stopped working, then she'd plan their deaths.  It would be a newfound circle of Hell, or Kroll and de Mol's idea of the perfect reality show.

• Love 7

Please. There was never a "surprise", the whole debacle was scripted, I'm sure.

I'm pretty convinced it was a ploy to up viewership or keeping those who were on the fence about leaving and create a "buzz" around the show.

Edited by Mediocrates
  • Love 1

He says he wants to be the 'father' of the group and he wants Nikki to be the 'mother'. As the mother she needs to take care of the father, tell him to rest and give him massages etc. 

it would be great if Nikki told him she is going to be celibate while at Utopia.

Edited by clod
  • Love 2