Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Smoke on the Water

• Start Topic

Another engine issue emerges, forcing Capt. Glenn to modify the plan and keep the returning guests entertained; With all the uncertainty going on in the engine room, Capt. Glenn takes control and points out the crews' mistakes; Daisy and Colin make up after their fight as their relationship grows stronger; Daisy confronts Gary about Mads and claims he's playing his usual games; Tired of the drama, Chase plans a night of drunk Twister and hosts a surprising yoga session.

Airdate: 05.22.2023

(edited)

Like an ill-maintained engine held together with duct tape, cardboard, and prayer (or curses), these comments are in the order of episode scenes broadcast…

What could be better than a booze-filled night out with the crew and their antics?  Oh, yeah, pretty much anything.

Given the engine problems from the first episode and the lack of awareness of the engine condition from Day One, is it any surprise the motor finally packed it in? 

So after all the drama, we’re expected to believe the one part they need can’t be supplied except for one place in Amsterdam?  WTF?  I was born at night, but it wasn’t last night.

Chase keeps things together with his yoga class.  Yeah, maybe the guests weren’t expecting a master class in yoga, but still, he kept them involved and entertained.  He certainly worked better than the engine did.

In fact, the entire crew has come together and performed well (if we can keep Alex focused and sober).  This is overall, one of the best crews of all the BD franchises ever – interior and exterior and chef.  Gary has been the biggest problem.  Glenn has been taking lessons (unfortunately) from Captain Queeg (Sandy) so it seems. 

Captain Glenn – “It’s really crazy to have two unrelated massive engine failures in such a short time.”  No, man, that’s on you.  The first failure happened because you were in port for *several* days and no one thought to inspect/start/test the engine that whole time.  Then you jury-rigged the engine and bypassed a portion of it to just barely make it work to keep the season going.  And now there’s another failure and you never thought it might be contributed to based on how you handled your most recent problem.  Sorry, mate, not buying it.  If it weren't for Colin, you'd be dead in the water for sure.

What will happen next week?  Will the boat actually sail?  Will the crew navigate their problems/issues?  Will the Parsifal hot tub incubate the next pandemic?  Stay tuned, if you can keep it together…

Edited by Tanukisan
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was never so happy to see an empty hot tub in my life!  I'm glad Chase got everyone together to play Twister.  Anything is better than Truth or Dare in the human stew pot.  I also thought Chase did a good job with the yoga.  Lucy seemed a bit critical of his style, but I didn't see her do anything.  I need to compliment Chase now while I can, as it appears in next week's preview he is behaving badly.  

I think the big love triangle right now is that of Gary, Mads and Alex.  Mads likes Alex, but Alex doesn't want to get on Gary's bad side since Gary is fond of Mads.  Mads isn't picky, so ends up with Gary.  She has next day regrets, but hasn't that happened before?  

The fun guests are back, and have brought their own customized flag along. 😂  I'm glad Colin worked his magic and fixed the yacht so they could go sailing and let their "freak flag fly!"

Just now, SemiCharmedLife said:

Edited by SemiCharmedLife
addition
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1

That guest is trying too hard.

Of course Bravo is going to re-cast that camera whore.

Then keep his unfunny comments in the final edit.

The beefs from the previous episode between Colin and Gary and Colin and Daisy amounted to nothing.  Again editing, though obviously they have to raise these little cliffhangers at the end of episodes.

Oh good, they made props for the comedy, like the flag.

And another talent show, another contrivance which only happens on Bravo super yacht charters.

Is this a super yacht or one of those cheesy chain restaurants where the wait staff do hammy renditions of happy birthday and such for customers?

More fake hookup drama.  Last season they made it seem like Daisy had feelings for Gary or didn't want him hooking up with other women.  This season, she doesn't seem to care?  Now she and Colin are going to mack.

Maybe for next season they should turn the whole cast over again.

• Like 6

I am really tired of Gary and his penis brain, he wants to pick a girl, any girl to have sex with and if she is not in to him it does not matter, the deal is if Gary likey, Gary getty and her feelings are inconsequential, he could not be more sexist/abusive if he tried, it is the pretty much the same with all the guys on board these boats.  

Gary downright pouts if the girl in his cross hairs rebuffs his advances, literally pouts and his crew members are afraid to couple up with a girl he likes for fear of retribution. If that isn't the whole cycle of sexual harassment I do not know what is. Production needs to wake up and fix it. 

Next week Chase says something inappropriate, shocking.

Was Glenn in a Playgirl like pose on the flag? Where did that come from anyway?

That charter guest just could not shut up! The boat broke down, yes it is an inconvenience but it is not like you are marooned on a desert island, geeze. Now all the guests chat up Glenn when Glenn is trying to do some important boating business or docking, we see you production, we see you.

Colin is not my type but dayum he is a handy guy to have around. Nothing sexier than a guy that can fix anything.

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Was Glenn in a Playgirl like pose on the flag? Where did that come from anyway?

The guy on the flag was the primary and a guest brought it as a practical joke.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

My sweet Parsifal III, you are such a beauty when sailing.. ❤️ 

Captain Glenn: "who would believe we would have two completely unrelated engine issues?"
Me: LMAO!

I  feel bad for the unfortunate clients of the restaurants the crew is going to. They make so much noise that if I were a client I would probably be very annoyed and leave. 

Does Gary ever heard of #metoo? Does Gary even care? Do the female members of the crew sign a special contract accepting sexual harassment? 

• Like 11

Has Gary ever got any of the cast members to sleep with him or has it only been a lot of drunk making out?

Or last season, there was a late arrival stew who made out with him and then decided she wasn't interested any more.

The kissing must be part of the prerequisites of the job or being cast on the show.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, aghst said:

The beefs from the previous episode between Colin and Gary and Colin and Daisy amounted to nothing.

The three of them are like a middle school clique. First Daisy and Colin are mad at Gary so they bitch about him behind his back. Then Gary and Daisy are mad about Colin so they bitch about him behind his back. Then Colin and Gary bitch about Daisy behind her back. With Alex and Chase sitting right there.

I don't know, it still seems like the three department heads have been instructed to bring more drama because the show accidentally cast the nicest, most competent underlings they ever have. I think it might be time for Gary and Daisy to retire. Daisy just seems burned out and Gary's behavior borders on sexual harassment.

4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am really tired of Gary and his penis brain, he wants to pick a girl, any girl to have sex with and if she is not in to him it does not matter, the deal is if Gary likey, Gary getty and her feelings are inconsequential, he could not be more sexist/abusive if he tried, it is the pretty much the same with all the guys on board these boats.  

It's really alarming. My guess is that production has told Gary that Mads is interested/willing to hook up with him which is why he pursues her so aggressively.

Has Gary ever got any of the cast members to sleep with him or has it only been a lot of drunk making out?

Yeah Ashley last season, although it was actually the other way around. A lot of people interpreted it as her raping him when he was blackout drunk.

• Like 6
54 minutes ago, aghst said:

Sydney, Alli, Ashley.  There's been at least one every season.

Feel like Gary's ego is a bit out of control. I typically enjoy the dynamic of Glenn/Colin/Daisy/Gary. I do think Gary's a decent guy, a harmless flirt. but this season he seems to be playing into the "role" more and it's coming across as obnoxious. That said, I don't think it warrants terms like sexual harassment being thrown around.  This is reality TV, not a real work situation and Gary's never forceful,  discriminating or retaliatory when rebuffed. He casts a wide net, flirts with every female and his partners are willing (if not more so in the case of Ashley). 

All four of them all seem on edge like this season, like they're not being 100% authentic/things are forced. I do wonder if Colin, now that he's single for the first time, was heavily encouraged to hook up with someone or if he genuinely has been crushing on Daisy all this time.

I wish Chase had addressed Alex directly during shift changeover rather than telling Gary first.  I'm sure he would've preferred that were the situations reversed. Alex might not yet know exactly what's expected from the night shift.  It's not like we've seen any checklists.  Heck, last week, Gary even told him the wrong time. 

• Like 7
34 minutes ago, snarts said:

All four of them all seem on edge like this season, like they're not being 100% authentic/things are forced.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who has thought this. I don't know if that first engine problem threw them all off their game, if Gary's initial absence hurt this year's team-building, or if there are other factors. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, snarts said:

Sydney, Alli, Ashley.  There's been at least one every season.

Feel like Gary's ego is a bit out of control. I typically enjoy the dynamic of Glenn/Colin/Daisy/Gary. I do think Gary's a decent guy, a harmless flirt. but this season he seems to be playing into the "role" more and it's coming across as obnoxious. That said, I don't think it warrants terms like sexual harassment being thrown around.  This is reality TV, not a real work situation and Gary's never forceful,  discriminating or retaliatory when rebuffed. He casts a wide net, flirts with every female and his partners are willing (if not more so in the case of Ashley). 

All four of them all seem on edge like this season, like they're not being 100% authentic/things are forced. I do wonder if Colin, now that he's single for the first time, was heavily encouraged to hook up with someone or if he genuinely has been crushing on Daisy all this time.

I wish Chase had addressed Alex directly during shift changeover rather than telling Gary first.  I'm sure he would've preferred that were the situations reversed. Alex might not yet know exactly what's expected from the night shift.  It's not like we've seen any checklists.  Heck, last week, Gary even told him the wrong time. 

I think they're all just playing their 'roles' to the hilt now and I find it annoying and basically unwatchable, and I doubt any crew would act out and talk about each other behind their backs like they are showing.  I too used to like the dynamic of the main crew/stew members and Glen too, but each week this season I like them all less and can barely get through an episode. I know it must be difficult to conjure up episode after episode but maybe this franchise has just run it's course.

• Sad 1

Heck, last week, Gary even told him the wrong time.

To be fair, on rewatch Gary actually said "3:30 or something like that." There is a sheet up on the wall with the actual schedule; when Chase was an hour late Gary pointed to it. So Chase really should have checked the official schedule. If it said 3:30 on the schedule he could have pointed it out to Gary. But it said 2:30.

They seem to be building towards a Chase firing this season, if anyone is to be fired, and I think it's usually mandatory. He's being portrayed as the "trouble maker" even though he is eager, willing and respectful. But there are definitely signs of trouble. There's just something a little bit "off" about him.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Gary literally makes my skin crawl…what any of these women see in him is beyond me.  And I didn’t need to see his erection in his swimsuit (in the hallway).

I love Colin…I want him to stay the sane one.

Chase tries hard, but he’s socially awkward.  The other blond stew (not Mads)(Lucy?) should give him some lessons in how to interact with people, because it seems like she gets along with everyone.

Daisy seems like she’s done, and I want to eat everything that the chef makes!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Colin is not my type but dayum he is a handy guy to have around. Nothing sexier than a guy that can fix anything.

I believe the flag was of the primary, Jim.

I am happy Colin's not your type as I have a huge cougar crush on him. Well, at my age it's more a badger crush.

Great post!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Chase tries hard, but he’s socially awkward.

Yes, I think that's what I meant by something being "off." Verbal interactions with others are often cringe. He reminds me a little of Greg on Succession.

• Like 2

I have to agree that this season just feels different or "off".  Glen, Gary, Daisy and even Colin are all just acting different.  This is the best crew of all the shows, so I hope this is not a sign of the end for this crew.

Did Daisy and Gary date or hook up after last season?  She made a comment about he is now telling her he is hooking up with Mads.  Was that Colin we saw kissing Daisy?  Now, that will be interesting.

I wish Chase had addressed Alex directly during shift changeover rather than telling Gary first.  I'm sure he would've preferred that were the situations reversed. Alex might not yet know exactly what's expected from the night shift.  It's not like we've seen any checklists.

Given how Gary has been treating Chase, I can see where Chase felt he was once again in an unwinnable situation. He didn't see all the things that were wrong until after Alex had already gone to bed, and knew Gary was going to blame him for them. So he pointed them out to Gary and then he did in fact volunteer to speak to Alex himself. Gary said he would speak to Alex instead.

From what we see in the preview, Gary once again throws Chase under the bus

Spoiler

by telling Alex "Chase thinks you're just sitting around doing nothing."

So this really was a lose-lose proposition for Chase.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I think this season is a snooze fest of sameness.   I'm really disappointed in Daisy bitching and whining and being overwhelmed all the time.   She literally has two great stews under her.   Gary's penis is gross and, if memory serves, I believe we got see someone else's  erection on another Below Deck episode.  If that's all production has, maybe the shows have run their course.    Unlike others, I enjoy Glenn's comments and managing.   We've never seen it from him and I can't decide if it's new or they've just never shown it.   

• Like 1

Gary's penis is gross and, if memory serves, I believe we got see someone else's  erection on another Below Deck episode.

Heh. You may be thinking of Ben last season, after he got a lap dance from Camille.

That said, the show has actually gotten somewhat more modest in recent years than it started out. In the early seasons we regularly saw candid shots of crew members changing clothes in their quarters and getting out of bed in the mornings, sometimes with visible "morning wood." They've really dialed back on the more intrusive, gratuitous footage.

• Like 1