Type keyword(s) to search

S09E13: Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, mustbekarma said:

I'm so irked. Pentatonix was robbed. Robbed, I say.  The Giant Chicken should have gone home.

I actually thought Medusa should've gone home.  Yep, Pentatonix was robbed.  I I have a feeling the Giant Chicken is going to win based on his back story.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Yeah blantant pre-arranged elimination. Pentatonix must have a concert scheduled for the night they filmed hte finale or something. California Rolls by far were the best singers of the night, and Macaw would probably have been safe because of the back story they're setting up. 

Oh well, it is what it is I guess. 

Is this the first time they put the entire farewell song AFTER the end credits? Usually they sing out (if they sing) as the credits play, but this time Nick did the "Tune in next week for the finale" while the credits rolled, and THEN Pentatonix did their full song uncut and without being credit scrunched. (Sadly the song was their cover of Creep. Not being muffled by the masks it was slightly better, but I still didn't care for it.)

I'm thinking that this is Macaw's to win now. This is season 9, and there have been 5 female winners so far, 3 of them in the past 3 seasons. So we're due for another male winner. If they're LGBTQ+ as well it would be an added bonus for PR purposes too. 

• Like 3

Is it me, or did Nick keep calling them "Pentonix?" 

Medusa is getting by on emotion and drama. Not that she can't sing, but others can sing better. Nicole is a sucker for that. 

I enjoy Macaw better, so I hope he wins. That's it. That's the tweet.

• Applause 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, EllieW said:

Pentatonix WAS robbed. But it should have been Medusa that went home. She was just shrieking!

Agreed.  I thought Pentatonix for sure was going to the finals and that the show would send Macaw home.

But I thought Medusa was once again the worst.  I don't like her tone, when she tries to sing it sounds like she has a cold, and then she tries to compensate for it by just screaming and shrieking and jumping around.

I thought Macaw was fantastic tonight.  I loved his performance of "What Makes You Beautiful".  He sang great, he has great range, great infectious energy, and he changed up some of the notes to make it sound like his own.  He was great in the Showcase Showdown, the Bruno Mars song was perfectly suited to him.

Unfortunately, I think the fix has been in from the beginning, the show very clearly seems to want Medusa to win.  The "Take Me to Church" song sounds like the winner-annointing song much in the vein of how T-Pain got "Stay With Me".

Macaw getting to the finals will be viewed as enough of his reward.   But he was already runner up on American Idol, so my opinion would be that to give him the win would really be to finish his story arc on a high note.  I would love to see him win.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

My mom was fine with Pentatonix not going through to the final because she doesn't think it's fair for a group to against a solo performer.  So yes, unless Pentatonix had something scheduled and couldn't make the final, some serious shenanigans were involved with their being eliminated.

If having a group compete is a problem, then why not just do a group season of The Masked Singer?

I just hope that Macaw wins over Medusa in the final because I just knew last night she was going home.

• Applause 1

I hated the Pentatonix cover of Creep. If that was the only version of the song I had ever heard then I would hate the song. But I love the song and this is why I don't belong here - after the original, of course, this is probably the only cover of it I love... 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SweePea59 said:

I hated the Pentatonix cover of Creep. If that was the only version of the song I had ever heard then I would hate the song. But I love the song and this is why I don't belong here - after the original, of course, this is probably the only cover of it I love... 

I'm partial to the version Hayley Reinhart did with Postmodern Jukebox, myself....

I thought Pentatonix did a decent job with the song. And I'm surprised they let them close out with the full song, rather than cutting them off halfway through. Pretty sure it's just them and Palin that got the chance to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

The fix is on for Medusa to win.   I actually thought they wanted to do a rematch between Pentatonix and Medusa in the Final 2 with Medusa "redeeming" herself.   But her winning outright against Pentatonix would be more unbelievable.   Wonder if the show will milk an extra episode out of it to tell us "how the Final 2 got where they are".    

Edited by Meedis
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

So, filming ran long while the crew looked for Nick's shirt and Pentatonix had reservations at 8 at Mr. Chow?   Not sure how else to explain that outcome.  

Medusa is awful.  At one point, there was a banner saying "How's Medusa Doing?  Tweet Us Now".  Uh, no you really don't want me to do that.  Trust me. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

As I said earlier, I disagree that the fix is in for Medusa. She was always meant for the finals IMO, but historically TMS winners are tilted more heavily to women at the moment; the past 3 winners have been women. So I suspect they're planning for a man to win this time, which is why/how Macaw gets to the finale. 

That Macaw is clearly LGBTQ+ is an added bonus for PR purposes. 

So Im pretty sure Macaw is going to win it all this week.