Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: The Genius Who Fell Out of My Womb

• Start Topic

Bob is thrilled to share a day at his alma mater with Abishola and Dele, but his university doesn’t meet Abishola’s Ivy League standards.

Airdate: 05/08/2023

Loved how Bob was sooo psyched about his alma mater.

Both Abishola and Dele are stupid to think that Dele can and should only apply to Harvard. It is a difficult school to get in and expensive. You think he would have some backups -- Ivy league and non ivy league.  Plus there are some prestigious school that are not ivy league that would be also good to apply to.

The Whati and Tundi storyline was meh.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

Another weak episode, yay. All this focus on the sock company is boring as usual and I just don't have it in me to care about Tunde possibly getting fired. He was doing well financially before being hired there, and he will do well after. It literally does not matter.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

How is Abishola attending John Hopkins? Is she studying online?

I thought she was planning to attend at some point soon, not that she was doing it now. I think part of that conversation with the older student indicated some future time she would attend but that maybe Dele’s college would serve her as well

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Harvey said:

Another weak episode, yay. All this focus on the sock company is boring as usual and I just don't have it in me to care about Tunde possibly getting fired. He was doing well financially before being hired there, and he will do well after. It literally does not matter.

[Speaking/thinking in a probably politically incorrect but well intentioned Yoruba accent]
Do you think it does not matter if Tunde's soul is crushed and his desire to live syphoned off like water from a well in a drought?

[Back to speaking in generic American]
But, yeah, Tunde will probably always be cheerful.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I thought Tunde was only working in the factory while it was getting built up, acting as some sort of general contractor facilitating the work.  I didn't expect him to continue working in the factory once the construction and set up was complete. 

How often are we going to see the theme of Abishola being utterly rigid about something due to her mindset and inflexible thinking, then Bob showing her there are other options and she softens once she sees that the world does not end and there is value in different things?   I get it that this is the entire underlying premise of the show, Abishola opening up to new things, but the writers need to get a little more clever than "Abishola declares something, Bob shows her an alternative, Abishola decides the alternative isn't so bad."

I absolutely loved the scenes with Bob and Dele.  Or should I say "Anthony?"  I also loved that Abishola knew what they were up to, and accepts it because she also loves the relationship between Bob and Dele.

• Like 6

Good old Southern Nonexistent Michigan! We have Northern Michigan,  Eastern Michigan,  Western Michigan and Central Michigan! The actual University of Michigan is pretty far south :) and would make sense for Abishola for medical school. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I attended college in Kalamazoo, so I enjoyed the reference, although there is no Southern Michigan University.  I thought they had referred, in the past, to Bob attending U of M.   

I have been wishing for quite a while for Bob and Dele to have a convo like they did last night - telling Dele that he is allowed to choose his future, not his mother.  

• Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I have been wishing for quite a while for Bob and Dele to have a convo like they did last night - telling Dele that he is allowed to choose his future, not his mother.  

It's a dangerous conversation because he'll just go and try to be a choreographer again 🤕.

Edited by Harvey
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Good old Southern Nonexistent Michigan! We have Northern Michigan,  Eastern Michigan,  Western Michigan and Central Michigan! The actual University of Michigan is pretty far south :) and would make sense for Abishola for medical school. 

Ugh mount pleasant god I hated that tiny town 

(edited)
On 5/8/2023 at 8:36 PM, greekmom said:

Both Abishola and Dele are stupid to think that Dele can and should only apply to Harvard. It is a difficult school to get in and expensive. You think he would have some backups -- Ivy league and non ivy league.  Plus there are some prestigious school that are not ivy league that would be also good to apply to.

The Ivy League does not give merit scholarships, and Bob's and Abishola's combined incomes may mean that they have to pay the full cost of a Harvard education.  On the other hand, there are some fairly competitive universities that do give merit scholarships, which Dele would have a good chance of winning.  He should apply to various schools (and certainly a "safety" school or 2), see which accept him, and then decide.  After all, medical school is going to be even more expensive.

Did Bob leave school without his degree when his father died and he had to work for the company?  Maybe that's what he should do at some point-try to finish his degree.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

although there is no Southern Michigan University.

Yeah and when he used the abbreviation SMU, I said, that's Southern Methodist University in Dallas! I guess they're making up a fake college so that Abishola or Dele can attend it.

• Like 2

I believe Abishola has to take the MCAT and then will apply. I just can’t get this fixation on Johns Hopkins. It has always been known as an excellent institution for science and medicine, but so are others, such as, well, Harvard. And NYU and Penn and Columbia and Stanford, well you get the idea, if you are going to fixate on top top schools.  NYU med school now gives free tuition to all students!  

She should try for University of Michigan. Maybe that’s where they are heading. As for tuition, I think the family is supposedly well off enough to afford the tuitions. 

• Like 2

I can't get past the part where they want Dele to live an hour from Harvard.  Is that an hour by public transit?  An hour driving (which will be way more than an hour at times)?  It seems like Abishola would realize what a waste of time it is for Dele to commute minimally two hours every day.  And what if he needs to stay late?  Or be at school very early?  Seems silly to live so far away, even if it would potentially save money.  Oh, and does Harvard allow first years to live off campus?  My alma mater did not -- we were required to live in campus housing for our first year.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1