Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: Remember the Titans

• Start Topic

Sam and Dean come across a mysterious man that dies once every day.

I hate this episode.  I could give you a laundry list of ways they screwed up the mythology in this episode, but for the sake of brevity, I'll only mention the thing that annoys me the most.

Artemis is in love with Prometheus.  I can't even describe how furious that makes me.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 2

Ugh, I don't mind it when they mix up the mythology, but this just didn't make any sort of sense. And I will never get over how they took a Greek God, his one night stand and kid to the LoL--people they barely know--but couldn't manage to introduce Kevin to the place...just because they built an expensive set and wanted to use it more. Just too much stupid for me to get into. Add to it all the standing around and talking bored me too.  

• Love 1

I can't even remember what happens in this episode LOL

I

could give you a laundry list of ways they screwed up the mythology in this episode, but for the sake of brevity, I'll only mention the thing that annoys me the most.

To be fair, they screw up their own mythology. Can we really expect them to not screw up long-standing thousands of years old mythology :)

• Love 2

One thing I hated about this episode was that they trapped Zeus.  He's freaking Zeus, nothing the Winchesters came up with should have worked.  Zeus should have looked down at the symbol, said "Really?  You think that's going to hold me?", and proceeded to step out of the symbol.  For crying out loud it's Zeus.

Also Dean not knowing the story of Prometheus was annoying.  Granted in "Hammer of the Gods", neither Winchester had second thoughts about staying at a hotel named Elysian Fields, after everything that was happening.

• Love 1

One thing I hated about this episode was that they trapped Zeus.  He's freaking Zeus, nothing the Winchesters came up with should have worked.  Zeus should have looked down at the symbol, said "Really?  You think that's going to hold me?", and proceeded to step out of the symbol.  For crying out loud it's Zeus.

Also Dean not knowing the story of Prometheus was annoying.  Granted in "Hammer of the Gods", neither Winchester had second thoughts about staying at a hotel named Elysian Fields, after everything that was happening.

That's just another example of s8 not following it's own canon/continuity. I can live with Dean being a bit of a dick but what I really struggle to abide is the s8 Dumbing Down of Dean Winchester.

It makes absolutely no sense that Dean, who made his own ghost detector out of a freaking walkman in s1, who rebuilt his own damn car from the ground up, who knows pop culture backwards and forwards, who adapted to being a PA in about 3 seconds, and who studies lore and mythology practically 24/7, does not know about Prometheus or It's a Wonderful Life amongst other Dumb!Dean things. Nope nope nope. I do not understand why they did that to him.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

What a lackluster episode--especially considering it has freakin' Zeus in it. Sheesh. I'd kinda forgotten about the a long slumpy stretch of nonsensical episodes here. S8 is really kicking my ass. On the bright side, I seem to be progressing through it quite quickly at least.  

As to the episode proper: the paranoid deputy amuses me quite a bit, otherwise, I can't think of anything to see here. Moving on...

Right, I forgot about the paranoid deputy.  It was a refreshing change from the LEOs who automatically disbelieve every supernatural explanation.  The dumbing down of everyone was just for plot purposes.  When the three men did the walkaway from Zeus I expected one of them to collect Hayley and the kid on their way to the door.  They all turned their backs to advance the plot though, making all of them look like idiots.  The actors who played the villains were pretty good.  I second the fury of having these strangers know where the Lair is and not bothering to invite Kevin.

Season 8 is boring me.

This episode and the last one (MBFWB) were two I *barely* recalled ever seeing.  And I could have done without them again.  Just too much retreading old storylines, dumb plots, and dumbing down the main characters to fit into whatever the writers are trying to force to play out on the screen.

ugh.

Yes, Sam- Dean comes around and says he's on your side, 100%, if you say you're good.  So, please, by all means, start lying to him again.  That's not a bad idea, or something that never worked out well in the past.  

I just can't say in words how much I am hating Season 8.

• Love 4

In all fairness Supernatural is not the first to suggest a less than virgin Artemis ; Thorne Smith had a hard-partying Diana who, like the rest of the Olympians, had a new bed partner just about every night in his 1931 book The Night Life of the Gods .

(edited)

I found this ep unsatisfying. Besides the ridiculousness of summoning and binding Zeus, how convenient was it there was a grave with Greek gawd worshippers nearby? Given Shane/Prometheus's proclivity to have fatal heart attacks or accidents, was it really a good idea to have him help exhume graves? They knew Hayley was willing to release Zeus, so why'd they leave her alone with him? Why didn't they wait to be sure Prometheus truly was dead?

Actually, I was expecting Zeus to reveal that Prometheus wasn't the benefactor to mankind the myths made him out to be.

Edited by Ubiquitous

I thought this episode could have easily been two.  They tried to cram too much Greek mythology into it, and barely touched on any of it.  

I know both Dean and Sam have mad Google skills, but to figure out that was Prometheus from what little they had to go on?  Not buying it.  Also not buying Sam figuring out that Artemis had a thing for Prometheus, unless he was channeling Dr. Phil.  Two way too convenient plot machinations.  

I also really didn't understand why the son automatically inherited the father's curse.  That didn't make sense at all.

Mom didn't seem too upset about her son's father dying either.  I think she had more of a thing for Dean.  Not that I blame her, mind you.  It just felt wrong.  

I really liked Prometheus.  I'm upset he had to die.

I liked the sheriff/local officer insisting he had a zombie case.  Dude knows his stuff.  

Some nice moments, but...I don't know.  Just seemed too rushed through the plot.

• Love 1

Yeah not one of the better episodes, although it could have been.  A guy just accepting he's Prometheus, turning their backs on Hayley, they should know a mother will do anything for their child (hello mrs tean), Sam 'guessing' Artemis had a thing for Prometheus.  It was all a bit ridiculous.

Okay, having a buzzard eating the dead guy's innards in the first five minutes is gruesome. Great, Sam's mysteriously bleeding from the mouth and still hiding it from Dean. I like that the trooper just full-on accepts the zombie theory and tells Sam and Dean to aim for the head. I also like that they find the dead guy in Livingston. "Seriously, this is FBI sanctioned?" As an Arrow fan, I'm gonna laugh a little too hard at Oliver and Prometheus. I like Hayley. I think this show gets protective moms right in general. I don't think they made Dean that dumb. He knew Prometheus stole fire, just didn't know the whole story and getting fulgurite was his idea. Heh, Dean said "balls." I like Sam trash talking Artemis to get her on their side, but he really didn't have a reason to know about Artemis liking Prometheus. Shane is really cute. I like that Dean knows Sam's lying to him about the trials hurting him, and him praying to Castiel to watch out for his little brother. Is it just me or does Dean say "little brother" more in this season than he has in the past several seasons?

9 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Is it just me or does Dean say "little brother" more in this season than he has in the past several seasons?

It's not just you. Dean also seems to be more of a hugger this season too. ;)

• Love 1

i barely watched this episode. mom spammed the episodes so much even i had gotten bored of SPN by this time. i really don't have a full clue what happened. maybe i will watch later to give my opinion.

On 8/10/2017 at 11:14 PM, bettername2come said:

Is it just me or does Dean say "little brother" more in this season than he has in the past several seasons?

dean has been very emotional this season so i wouldn't be surprised he's holding onto sam more than usual. man needs his support after his purgatory nightmare.

Edited by Iju

More like Zzzzzeus, am i right? This one had a lot of potential and ended up being boring. I suppose I can't complain too hard given the other episodes in this season, but I found this one to be a total snoozefest.

I did love Dean immediately bending down to talk to the kid. It is a nice consistent attribute that Dean is good with and likes kids. I also thought Zeus was well cast. I wish they had let him be more of a badass. 

5 hours ago, The Companion said:

More like Zzzzzeus, am i right? This one had a lot of potential and ended up being boring. I suppose I can't complain too hard given the other episodes in this season, but I found this one to be a total snoozefest.

I did love Dean immediately bending down to talk to the kid. It is a nice consistent attribute that Dean is good with and likes kids. I also thought Zeus was well cast. I wish they had let him be more of a badass. 

I thought that this was boring, too.  I liked the Zeus actor. I think I've seen him in something else, also.  But, he was just basically being whiny.  And Hayley was a flaming moron.  First she let the crazy greek god loose, and then she goes ahead and tells him that it hurts Prometheus to see his son die.  Learn to read a room, lady.  I don't know that saying, "naw, he doesn't care" would work, but she really laid it on about how much it hurt him.  Use your head.  I guess she maxed it out when she told Dean they didn't have to do a B&E.  That actually was kind of helpful.

Edited by Katy M