Type keyword(s) to search

Health and Wellness Chit-Chat: Your Primary Care Topic

• Start Topic

Thanks @EtheltoTillie and @Yeah No for encouraging me to at least try the CPAP.

If When I get a CPAP, if it improves my energy and general well-being as much as my Primary Care Provider has said it has for some of her other patients, maybe I'll have some suggestions for things you might bring up with your provider to get recommended to a Sleep Center.

A somewhat weird (but not for me, LOL) thought about why to not get a CPAP machine:
Haven't we all always said we hoped to die peacefully in our sleep? 
Heh, but I've already figured out I could just stop using it in another 10 years if need be. 
Seriously, getting a CPAP now that I could abandon in the future might make the difference between having "a good death" and spending 2 years in hospice with a bedpan like my poor Mom did.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Sorry to hear that but thank goodness no Parkinsons!

At least with the CPAP you might be able to get a better night's sleep.

I have asked to have a sleep study done but I get told I don't need one every time and I don't know why, and this involves more than one doctor.  It's maddening.  So I've basically given up on that.  Although to be honest I don't relish the idea of using a CPAP.  If it helped me sleep better I might learn to love it, though.  My sleep is all over the clock these days.  I tend to sleep in 2 shifts which is one reason why I'm up posting here in the wee hours.  It works better for me than trying to sleep all the way through.

I have that sleep pattern too and have had it for decades.  It's common and has been known for centuries.  But I don't think I have apnea.   The CPAP addresses apnea, where your breathing stops many times an hour without your being aware, so it makes sure you're getting enough oxygen..  If I get enough total sleep, I don't feel sleep deprived the next day, but they say apnea sufferers do.  I suppose you could push them further for a test.

Of course, I could be wrong about myself and need a CPAP machine too.  The hammer and the nail analogy raised by @shapeshifter

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4

My mom has been using a CPAP for a few years.  My son had to be on one when he was born since he was five weeks early.  Meanwhile, my surgery is this week.  It's supposed to be a complicated/long procedure, involving the removal of ribs to get the all of the tumour out (I hope this isn't TMI).  They told me I'll be in the hospital for a week or so.  I'm bringing my laptop so I can write and come on Primetimer (and watch Bridgerton).  

• Hugs 9
56 minutes ago, PRgal said:

…Meanwhile, my surgery is this week.  It's supposed to be a complicated/long procedure, involving the removal of ribs to get the all of the tumour out (I hope this isn't TMI).  They told me I'll be in the hospital for a week or so.  I'm bringing my laptop so I can write and come on Primetimer (and watch Bridgerton).  

Oh gosh, @PRgal.
No, not TMI.
Sounds comparable to my stage 4 cancer surgery back in 2016, although no ribs were involved since it was colon cancer that spread to the liver and had not quite reached the lungs. 
I was in for about 10 days. 
There was one night nurse who angelic, if not an angel. 
You'll be in a hospital in Toronto, right? That's good. I was adjacent to Chicago, which was also superior. It makes a difference in the outcome.

Whenever you are able, let us know how you are doing.
Nothing lengthy necessary.
A "👍" or even just "k" is more than enough.
So is an "ow."
Or if pain meds work well, a smiley face is fine too.

🧸

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh gosh, @PRgal.
No, not TMI.
Sounds comparable to my stage 4 cancer surgery back in 2016, although no ribs were involved since it was colon cancer that spread to the liver and had not quite reached the lungs. 
I was in for about 10 days. 
There was one night nurse who angelic, if not an angel. 
You'll be in a hospital in Toronto, right? That's good. I was adjacent to Chicago, which was also superior. It makes a difference in the outcome.

Whenever you are able, let us know how you are doing.
Nothing lengthy necessary.
A "👍" or even just "k" is more than enough.
So is an "ow."
Or if pain meds work well, a smiley face is fine too.

🧸

Thank you.  My tumour is nowhere NEAR stage 4.  The biopsy didn't even show that it was malignant, but it was at very high risk of becoming cancerous.  I had five weeks of radiation to stabilize growth/shrink it in February/March plus a CT and MRI to confirm the stability/shrinking (it did shrink a little).  It's just that it's in an area where removal of the rib is necessary to get everything out.  I'll have mesh there instead (they said that it's better than a fake rib).  What I'm most worried about is pain medication.  I don't want to become...dependent.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 6
5 hours ago, PRgal said:

Meanwhile, my surgery is this week. 

I wish you the very best. I wouldn’t be too worried about the pain meds. Nurses and Doctors are very aware of addiction risks and begin to titrate you off them as soon as possible. 
Just concentrate on getting better ❤️‍🩹 

• Like 8
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Sorry to hear that but thank goodness no Parkinsons!

At least with the CPAP you might be able to get a better night's sleep.

I have asked to have a sleep study done but I get told I don't need one every time and I don't know why, and this involves more than one doctor.  It's maddening.  So I've basically given up on that.  Although to be honest I don't relish the idea of using a CPAP.  If it helped me sleep better I might learn to love it, though.  My sleep is all over the clock these days.  I tend to sleep in 2 shifts which is one reason why I'm up posting here in the wee hours.  It works better for me than trying to sleep all the way through.

I've always been a really light sleeper, but it seemed like I went months with barely any sleep, starting around six years ago. I felt like I was losing my mind. It still happens occasionally, for days at a time. 

I got some sleep today, but I hate falling asleep as the sun is coming up (or when it's really up, like 7am). I took half a dose of zzzquil+ (pain medicine in there, too), and before that, I'd had a small magnesium glycinate drink. then some hot chocolate, because I was hungry, and hoped it would stop the mad feelings of hunger. It seems like I wake up every two hours or so, as well. I also have to go to the bathroom, but I was really out of it when I woke up at gone 11am. I was in such a good sleep, for a change.

I've also been sleeping on the couch a lot, and finally went back up to my bed. I have this issue where the mattress moves over, even though I'm not doing anything to make it move. So, my side starts to hang off the bed. 

• Hugs 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

Meanwhile, my surgery is this week.  

Oh my gosh!  So sorry to hear this! I will keep you in my prayers for the very best of outcomes. When you feel able, let us know how you are doing.  And don't worry about the pain meds, if you are in pain, take them as needed. As @Mindthinkr said the drs will be minding how much you are taking and reduce them as you need them less.

Edited by Gramto6
fixed comma
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, PRgal said:

My mom has been using a CPAP for a few years.  My son had to be on one when he was born since he was five weeks early.  Meanwhile, my surgery is this week.  It's supposed to be a complicated/long procedure, involving the removal of ribs to get the all of the tumour out (I hope this isn't TMI).  They told me I'll be in the hospital for a week or so.  I'm bringing my laptop so I can write and come on Primetimer (and watch Bridgerton).  

Oh wow, sorry if I missed you mentioning this before.  I'm sending virtual prayers 🙏 and hugs 🤗 for your quick recovery and minimal pain.

2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Best to you, @PRgal  keep us posted only if you can.  We'll all be thinking of you. 

Yes and ditto on this too!  ⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 4
13 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have that sleep pattern too and have had it for decades.  It's common and has been known for centuries.  But I don't think I have apnea.   The CPAP addresses apnea, where your breathing stops many times an hour without your being aware, so it makes sure you're getting enough oxygen..  If I get enough total sleep, I don't feel sleep deprived the next day, but they say apnea sufferers do.  I suppose you could push them further for a test.

Of course, I could be wrong about myself and need a CPAP machine too.  The hammer and the nail analogy raised by @shapeshifter

Yeah, I've been reading that it's common and nothing to worry about.  As long as you feel rested they say you're OK.  Or as long as my smart watch gives me a good sleep score, LOL.  I'm following my mother's pattern with this - she was the same in her later years.

My problem is that the older I get the harder it is for me to sleep as long as I should to feel rested.  I often wake up just a little too early and can't go back to sleep.  Often my bladder wakes me up.  Or the lawn mowers.  Or my husband.  It's always something.  I've tried going to bed a little earlier but it just happens an hour earlier.  It feels like a conspiracy.  I even sleep with an eye mask and ear plugs and take magnesium before I go to bed and half an anti-anxiety drug my gastro. prescribed for my acid stomach believe it or not.  He told me for some unknown reason it helps with that.  And it does.  And it also helps me sleep but it hasn't solved this particular problem.  I once tried taking melatonin but it made me feel too drowsy the next morning.  I tried cutting down the dose but same thing so I gave up on it.

I've tried not drinking so much liquid later in the day esp. with caffeine but the same thing happens, my bladder wakes me up a little too early.  What is it about my body that no matter when I drink liquids I still have to pee at the same time, LOL?

• Hugs 1

Oh my gosh!  So sorry to hear this! I will keep you in my prayers for the very best of outcomes. When you feel able, let us know how you are doing.  And don't worry about the pain meds, if you are in pain, take them as needed. As @Mindthinkr said the drs will be minding how much you are taking and reduce them as you need them less.

🙀 I’m sorry. It didn’t show that my post was originally from @PRgal

She is the person having the surgery. 

On 6/11/2024 at 7:01 AM, Mindthinkr said:

🙀 I’m sorry. It didn’t show that my post was originally from @PRgal

She is the person having the surgery. 

Right, I knew that. I quoted just the part of  @PRgal's post referring to having the surgery then referred to your quote @Mindthinkr re the dr's being careful with the pain meds as she was worried about them. No problem... 😸

• Like 2

Out of surgery.  Luckily, I allowed to eat right away so I’m having some soup and water.  Feeling okay, considering ever what they took out. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5

Update:  I’ll probably be in the hospital for the next week of so.  Food is disgusting!  I had a sorry excuse of a bagel yesterday that didn’t even have cream cheese.  The only thing edible on my breakfast try was Kellogg’s Corn Flakes. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 7
6 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Update:  I’ll probably be in the hospital for the next week of so.  Food is disgusting!  I had a sorry excuse of a bagel yesterday that didn’t even have cream cheese.  The only thing edible on my breakfast try was Kellogg’s Corn Flakes. 

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember the terrible post-op hospital food.
Maybe they just figure that the pain meds and anesthesia side effect of wiping the new short-term memories for a little while means they can get away with serving food that would get even the worst cooks tossed out of the kitchen.

Ooo. I just recalled that the night nurse was able to get me a little cup of something from a little fridge on the floor. Maybe it was just Jell-O, but they may have other stuff too.

You need to have enough nutrients to heal. 👵🏻

• Like 4

The last time I was in the hospital, I asked for a meatless menu & the orderly said they only had an Indian buffet.  Best meal I've ever eaten anywhere, so much flavor!

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

Breakfast was cereal again.  Lunch, tuna salad with a few measly greens as my salad.  The bread looked sad so I ate half and dumped the tuna into the salad. I wasn’t hungry anyway

• Hugs 6

I had two sleep studies (probably because I didn't get much sleep as I'm not a back sleeper). They said I have a mild case of sleep apnea & provided the machine. Couldn't sleep using the machine so I got the dental device (like a mouth guard) & that has helped.

• Hugs 1
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I had two sleep studies (probably because I didn't get much sleep as I'm not a back sleeper). They said I have a mild case of sleep apnea & provided the machine. Couldn't sleep using the machine so I got the dental device (like a mouth guard) & that has helped.

Thanks!

I was wondering about this option. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks again!
What was your process of finding the right device, doctor, etc.?

I called Medicare and was provided a list of oral surgeons in my area. At my appt, I showed them the letter from the sleep center doctor (I think I got that letter after telling him I couldn't sleep with the mask/hose & wanted to get the dental device). They then took impressions of my teeth. Went back a week or so later and got my device. At first it was very tight & I didn't like wearing it. But then I shaped up 😏 & started wearing it every night. It really helps me sleep better, longer. Also keeps me from grinding my teeth.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I hate bottles salad dressing and I have to deal with it in the hospital.  The last time I had Kraft “Italian” dressing was in the 90s.  We typically make our own dressing at home with any combination of mustard, vinegar and olive oil.  Or hummus and vinegar (my favourite is hummus and apple cider vinegar).   I’m likely going to be here until at least Friday.  Probably Sunday. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 5
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

I hate bottles salad dressing and I have to deal with it in the hospital.  The last time I had Kraft “Italian” dressing was in the 90s.  We typically make our own dressing at home with any combination of mustard, vinegar and olive oil.  Or hummus and vinegar (my favourite is hummus and apple cider vinegar).   I’m likely going to be here until at least Friday.  Probably Sunday. 

OOh, of all things.  Bottled dressing is awful.  And several more days in the hospital  Stay strong. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Hoping you are on the mend and feeling better each day!  So sorry you have to deal with hospital food for so long. I don't know of any hospital that gets raves for their inpatient food! They want us to eat but then serve almost inedible food to us. It has never made any sense to me. Hope you are able to go home sooner rather than later! 

Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way! (((Hugs)))

• Like 1

@PRgal, are you on a restricted diet, or can your husband/parents bring you some decent food - at least some of the time - so you don't have to eat the hospital slop?  The hospital my parents and I use lets people bring outside food to patients unless they're on a medically-mandated diet.  (We've never bothered, as none of us have been there long <knock on wood>, but I've checked just in case.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

@PRgal, are you on a restricted diet, or can your husband/parents bring you some decent food - at least some of the time - so you don't have to eat the hospital slop?  The hospital my parents and I both use lets people bring outside food to patients unless they're on a medically-mandated diet.  (We've never bothered, as none of us have been there long <knock on wood>, but I've checked just in case.)

Nope.  But seeing that I’m not moving much, outside food portions are just too big.  I’m so far only getting coffee from outside.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Today I'm heading to the Breast Center for Mammo 3D Tomography Additional Views and Mammo Ultrasound breast diagnostic limited (right side). I haven't done this before. I know they are specifically looking at a "mass" along the chest wall. I do have dense breast tissue, so I'm not surprised. I've been called back before, but never for an ultrasound test. I understand that they want a better look and I'm hoping that look will tell them I'm fine! My good friend had this exact procedure at the same place and she did have to return for a needle biopsy, which turned out to be fine. Her sister died from breast cancer, but I have 3 sisters, none of whom have had breast cancer. Still, I did have radiation as an infant on my thymus gland, so.....I'm kind of freaked out!

• Hugs 6
27 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Today I'm heading to the Breast Center for Mammo 3D Tomography Additional Views and Mammo Ultrasound breast diagnostic limited (right side). I haven't done this before. I know they are specifically looking at a "mass" along the chest wall. I do have dense breast tissue, so I'm not surprised. I've been called back before, but never for an ultrasound test. I understand that they want a better look and I'm hoping that look will tell them I'm fine! My good friend had this exact procedure at the same place and she did have to return for a needle biopsy, which turned out to be fine. Her sister died from breast cancer, but I have 3 sisters, none of whom have had breast cancer. Still, I did have radiation as an infant on my thymus gland, so.....I'm kind of freaked out!

I too have "dense" tissue and familial and personal cancer history, so was freaked out the first couple of times I was called back. Last year I was told they now do the 3D Tomography on all patients. I don't know if that's because I live in the state of NY now, or if that's routine nationwide (except maybe rural, poorly-equipped places?).

I once had the biopsy where they turn you upside down.
I don't know if statistics still indicate that breastfeeding lowers your breast cancer risk, but in the 70s-80s I did breastfeed 3 babies for 2-3 years each and have not had any malignancies in that area of my body.

Let us know how it goes.
🧸🤞

• Like 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I too have "dense" tissue and familial and personal cancer history, so was freaked out the first couple of times I was called back. Last year I was told they now do the 3D Tomography on all patients. I don't know if that's because I live in the state of NY now, or if that's routine nationwide (except maybe rural, poorly-equipped places?).

I once had the biopsy where they turn you upside down.
I don't know if statistics still indicate that breastfeeding lowers your breast cancer risk, but in the 70s-80s I did breastfeed 3 babies for 2-3 years each and have not had any malignancies in that area of my body.

Let us know how it goes.
🧸🤞

Thank you so much @shapeshifter! I'd say the result was really good. I have some cysts that the radiologist thinks look benign. She wants me to do a follow up ultrasound in 6 months to see if they've changed (grown), but she thinks it's all good. I'm so relieved! I don't even need a needle biopsy. I made the appointment for December and I'm so relieved! I nursed my 3 babies in the 70s-80s too. I hope that helped to prevent BC. I think doing the 3D for everyone reduces call backs, which relieves stress for patients! I'm so relieved! 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I too have dense breast tissue and when that started I always got the ultrasound if it was recommended. I know a law was passed a few years ago in CT for an ultrasound to be routine for women with dense breast tissue. My center says it was the first in the state to offer the 3D tomography so I've had that for at least a few years now. 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I too have dense breast tissue and when that started I always got the ultrasound if it was recommended. I know a law was passed a few years ago in CT for an ultrasound to be routine for women with dense breast tissue. My center says it was the first in the state to offer the 3D tomography so I've had that for at least a few years now. 

Yes, I think the ultrasound is now "routine" here in NY state too. And all of the breast cancer testing is free. They even validate for parking!
Although, IMO, parking at any hospital should be free. Do they think we're coming for the free cable TV in our loved ones rooms??

13 hours ago, BetyBee said:

She wants me to do a follow up ultrasound in 6 months to see if they've changed (grown)

That sounds familiar, but I'd have to check my records. 

13 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I think doing the 3D for everyone reduces call backs, which relieves stress for patients! I'm so relieved! 

Yes. I was very freaked out when I had at least 3 callbacks before 3D was available. I don't recall them using ultrasound for breast cancer screening at that time either.🤔
I suspect there was a kind of push-me-pull-you between the insurance companies and the doctors and the researchers until ultimately the monetary value and the human life value were aligned.
Sometimes our team eventually wins.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yes, I think the ultrasound is now "routine" here in NY state too. And all of the breast cancer testing is free. They even validate for parking!
Although, IMO, parking at any hospital should be free. Do they think we're coming for the free cable TV in our loved ones rooms??

Same here in CT, it's mandatory for insurance to cover it and the ultrasound if called for. My hospital validates parking for all radiological procedures. I wish they had free parking for everything as it's often a huge PITA at the card readers. But thankfully when it's busy they often keep the gates open so everyone gets through for free.

Yes. I was very freaked out when I had at least 3 callbacks before 3D was available. I don't recall them using ultrasound for breast cancer screening at that time either.🤔
I suspect there was a kind of push-me-pull-you between the insurance companies and the doctors and the researchers until ultimately the monetary value and the human life value were aligned.
Sometimes our team eventually wins.

Before the 3D I was called back for ultrasounds a couple of times which freaked me out too but then my center decided to lessen the worry by scheduling women who had them previously for an ultrasound immediately after their screening mammogram in case the doctor said it was necessary. That really helped. But thankfully now with the 3D that's not an issue anymore.

I remember in the beginning when I started with the ultrasounds the insurance company only covered part of it claiming that because it was coded as a "diagnostic" procedure and thus was subject to deductibles. The screening center said they couldn't code it any other way because of the type of procedure it was, so that used to piss me off. All that is now history. In CT I think it was the women's breast cancer groups that lobbied for the change, or at least they had a part in it. I remember the news piece when the bill was signed and there were all these women standing around wearing the characteristic pink breast cancer awareness pins.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Update:  And I am HOME!  I managed to survive a week of hospital mystery food, with only one takeout session (salad, just to get some real vegetables) though my final meal there (lunch, yesterday) had something they attempted to call a sundae.  It tasted...weird.  But it was made from a major grocery store brand.  I think said brand makes inferior quality stuff especially for hospitals.  Because it certainly doesn't taste like that brand!

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Update:  And I am HOME!  I managed to survive a week of hospital mystery food, with only one takeout session (salad, just to get some real vegetables) though my final meal there (lunch, yesterday) had something they attempted to call a sundae.  It tasted...weird.  But it was made from a major grocery store brand.  I think said brand makes inferior quality stuff especially for hospitals.  Because it certainly doesn't taste like that brand!

Great news, on your being home, thanks for letting us know!  I've had good hospital food and bad hospital food and when it's bad it's awful! Thankfully that's not an issue for you anymore!

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Great news, on your being home, thanks for letting us know!  I've had good hospital food and bad hospital food and when it's bad it's awful! Thankfully that's not an issue for you anymore!

It was actually earlier than they thought.  The doctors all expected that I'd be in the hospital until Sunday or Monday.  They're amazed at my progress and the nurses were surprised I was able to walk up and down the hall with very little help so quickly.  It helps to work out an hour a day.  I can't really go back to the gym just yet, but I'm on the mend.  I don't expect to do any full personal training until the fall ,though I'll probably be okay with an exercise bike in a couple of weeks.

• Like 5