Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

(edited)
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

One of my best relationships was all about the sex.  We liked each other, of course, and got along (and did do other things besides the sex), but we both went into it knowing that it was not going to be a long-term thing.  And no one's heart was broken when it ended. 

I’m jealous.  Before I got married, I had a boyfriend, and never slept with him.  At work, I met my husband.  After marriage, I went to visit my girlfriend in the ole neighborhood, and my old boyfriend was there.  He wanted me to see his new apartment.  He never married.  Well, I could have easily hopped into bed with him, but I didn’t.  I just couldn’t do it.  I thought of my husband, and didn’t.  But, it was very tempting, I tell you.  I must have lots of will power.  Or, I’m a dope.  The ole boyfriend died a few months ago.  We went together thru our teen years, from 14 to 19.  Young love.  It was like in the movie Greese.  When he got out of the Army, he liked to sit in the Bar and drink. Not marry.  I then met my husband.  It worked out much better in the long run.  My husband was stable, he wasn’t.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

And 9.99 times out of 10, really fun.

Add LSD and you've got 😍
But that also turned out to be one the ones with the fianceé's greeting card on my side of the bed 2 weeks later.💔

• Like 1

Wouldn't the world be a boring place if everyone of us enjoyed the exact same things?

Anyway, we have moved a few months ago and now finally have a balcony. We were looking forward to have tomatoes and some herbs there, my mom bought melissa, basil, mint and chives. Of course, I only googled afterwards if they might be poisonous for cats and ta da, chives is, so bye bye chives.

• Like 9
8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Yes, I meant settling like my Mother.  She settled with a man she didn’t love.  She was miserable her whole life.  Actually, I couldn’t sleep with and have sex with someone I didn’t care for.  I guess some people do.  Not saying it’s wrong, but just not for me.  I’m sure lots of times it is necessary for some people.  I would never judge, as I don’t know the situation or the people.  It’s not my business anyhow.

I'm puzzled because I knew what you meant.  I don't understand the confusion but obviously I must have missed something here today, lol. 

For me, settling means marrying someone you know is wrong for you but doing it anyway for any number of reasons, such as desperation or pressure or because one is tired of looking for someone and just wants to settle down.  I don't think most people go into marriage with that mindset, even those whose marriages were arranged.  Everyone looks at the positives and minimizes or doesn't see the negatives.  Or we can think someone is a match for us but not know things about them that they may hide from us purposely or come to realize about themselves later in the relationship.   Or we can realize things about ourselves that we didn't know when we got married that can change our feelings.  

I don't necessarily call it "settling" when people stay in a relationship after they realize it's not working for them.  People stay together for a lot of reasons like children so I'd never look at it that way.  It can be hard to get out of a marriage when there are such commitments and there are good reasons to stay and try to make it work.  If it's still too hard then divorce is the best option.

I also am a firm believer in luck.  I haven't had the best luck in some areas of my life such as my career, but I fully admit I was lucky with my husband because I was still a teenager when I met him and could have married someone completely wrong for me.  I don't believe one person can fulfill all your needs so there is always going to be some "settling" going on but if in the big picture/final analysis they have what you find essential to your happiness, that's the most important thing of all.  I won't sugar-coat it, it hasn't always been a piece of cake with him but again, I always knew in the back of my mind even when things got bad between us that there was a strong foundation worth saving in the long run.  And that's why we're celebrating our 44th anniversary this year!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I remember when I realized this tragic loss of so many men affected a lot of women of my generation, including me. It was probably the same for women in the 1940's (& other war eras).

My mother was in the Women's Army Corps. during WWII.  I've told the story here about her first annulled marriage to an officer she met while stationed in Vermont during the war.  She took a good long time before marrying again after being screwed over that guy.  It wasn't until years after the war that she met my Dad, also in the Army.  He was just a tad too young to have served in overseas combat during the WWII.  The fighting ended right after he enlisted at age 18 but the war technically wasn't over yet so he was shipped off to Europe and was greeted like a hero in Paris and then saw Germany in ruins (and was still considered a full WWII veteran with all the benefits too).  If not for him being 3 years younger than my mother and not being old enough to have seen combat she may never have met him and I would not be who I am today.

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It was love at first sight.

I was working in my mom's design studio and she handed me her credit card and the keys to her car and asked me to go to the Shell station and have it filled up. This was back in the days when we didn't have to pump our own gas.

So of course, I went to the Mobil station and I met this super cute, long haired guy with the type of brown eyes you can just drown in. He was washing my windshield and our eyes locked and that was it. We fell in love. He asked for my number so I gave him my business card and by the time I got back to the office (two blocks away) he had already called. We talked that night on the phone for like two hours and it was as if I had known him all my life, even though we grew up in different towns. He had to go because he had band practice.

I was living with my in-between guy at the time  (he was the guy I always went back to after other relationships broke up) MY IBG and I were  not in love, just roommates with benefits at that point. Within a few days, I was living with my husband. It turned out that the gas station he was working at was his dad's and his parents owned houses all over the town he grew up in.  We live in one of them now. Five months later, we were married.

That was 44 years ago last week and we're still crazy about each other.

Awwww.....Peaches, thanks so much for retelling your story, it's so romantic I felt that swooning feeling while reading it, LOL. 🥰 I can't believe I somehow missed it before.  BTW, I met my husband in 1978 a few months before I turned 20.  We are married 44 years in June of this year and I still marvel at how we still love each other so much.  Belated anniversary wishes to you and your husband!

• Like 4
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ABay said:

Cilantro is an abomination and of the devil.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Vile weed.

3 hours ago, nokat said:

I hate the stuff.

You all know that the hatred of cilantro is genetically determined, right?

In case you don't, it's really a thing and DNA tests can pick it up.  In my case my DNA test told me I had a 50-50 chance of hating cilantro.  I have always loved it and don't think it tastes at all like soap the way many haters describe it.  And no one in my family ever hated it either.  Interesting, right?

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

You all know that the hatred of cilantro is genetically determined, right?

In case you don't, it's really a thing and DNA tests can pick it up.  In my case my DNA test told me I had a 50-50 chance of hating cilantro.  I have always loved it and don't think it tastes at all like soap the way many haters describe it.  And no one in my family ever hated it either.  Interesting, right?

I know it is genetic. It tastes horrible to me. It is like soap to me. Ick.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

When I first detected cilantro in food (in a Lean Cuisine meal), I thought it tasted like soap. But once I started eating at Thai & Vietnamese restaurants, where they add fresh cilantro and lime wedges to every plate (or bowl of pho), I started to like it. I guess I don't like it cooked *in* the food, only uncooked.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

When I first detected cilantro in food (in a Lean Cuisine meal), I thought it tasted like soap. But once I started eating at Thai & Vietnamese restaurants, where they add fresh cilantro and lime wedges to every plate (or bowl of pho), I started to like it. I guess I don't like it cooked *in* the food, only uncooked.

That's interesting.  I have a similar thing with dried thyme, but only if it's stale.  I'm fine with fresh thyme and dried thyme as long as it's not stale, but if it's been around too long it has a weird taste to me that I can't describe.  I've never been able to find anyone else with that "feature".

I love pho, BTW.  I love the liquorish-y taste of the Thai basil they give you with the cilantro.  I used to be able to get it at a Super Walmart near me but now the only place I can get it is an Asian market in a dicey area, so I don't get out there too often anymore.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That's interesting.  I have a similar thing with dried thyme, but only if it's stale.  I'm fine with fresh thyme and dried thyme as long as it's not stale, but if it's been around too long it has a weird taste to me that I can't describe.  I've never been able to find anyone else with that "feature".

I love pho, BTW.  I love the liquorish-y taste of the Thai basil they give you with the cilantro.  I used to be able to get it at a Super Walmart near me but now the only place I can get it is an Asian market in a dicey area, so I don't get out there too often anymore.

I find this an interesting conversation about what tastes we like. Thyme is another flavor I don't like much if it's too strong. I love basil though. I also like raisin oatmeal cookies. So many people detest them.

If you can get the fresh spices that is a flavor experience. I'm not near a shop now unfortunately. I make do with what I can get in a jar.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, nokat said:

I find this an interesting conversation about what tastes we like. Thyme is another flavor I don't like much if it's too strong. I love basil though. I also like raisin oatmeal cookies. So many people detest them.

If you can get the fresh spices that is a flavor experience. I'm not near a shop now unfortunately. I make do with what I can get in a jar.

I find that when the thyme tastes weird to me it dominates the dish like that's all I can taste.  I have a sensitivity to some ingredients in fragrances and it's the same with them too.  If that ingredient is in a hand cream or perfume that's all I smell.  I don't smell any of the other ingredients, just this weird medicinal smell.  When I go to Bath and Bodyworks many of their body creams smell the same to me.  There are only a few fragrances they make that don't do that to me.  I've looked at their ingredient lists and I can't figure out what it is because they often don't list the actual fragrances themselves.  I even wrote to the company for their help but got nowhere.  I also can't wear many perfumes for the same reason.  When those women come up to me in Macy's holding a perfume spray I run the other way, LOL.  Before menopause I didn't have any of these issues.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
6 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I find that when the thyme tastes weird to me it dominates the dish like that's all I can taste.  I have a sensitivity to some ingredients in fragrances and it's the same with them too.  If that ingredient is in a hand cream or perfume that's all I smell.  I don't smell any of the other ingredients, just this weird medicinal smell.  When I go to Bath and Bodyworks many of their body creams smell the same to me.  There are only a few fragrances they make that don't do that to me.  I've looked at their ingredient lists and I can't figure out what it is because they often don't list the actual fragrances themselves.  I even wrote to the company for their help but got nowhere.  I also can't wear many perfumes for the same reason.  When those women come up to me in Macy's holding a perfume spray I run the other way, LOL.  Before menopause I didn't have any of these issues.

I was in an elevator and then a hallway with a woman who used a generous amount of perfume. I could smell her from 20 feet away.

I try to get fragrance free products.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Are there no large Asian supermarkets near you?  I guess it’s all demographics.  There are several not far from me and they’re on Instacart (and have their own app as well), so I can get things like Chinese barbecue, hot pot ingredients and Hong Kong style pastries with just a few taps or clicks.  Some small shops are around as well and definitely NOT in dicey areas (downtown Chinatown used to be like that but it’s cleaned up in the past 15 or so years.  Now the most of the weirdos are university kids since it’s close to two schools).  Outside of students and people who work in the financial district, the Chinese communities typically stick with the suburbs (loads more “authentic” stores and restaurants there). 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Fresh herbs/spices for better taste sounds like an interesting experiment. 
I do already buy fresh parsley at Wegmans. (The Wegmans farms and hot houses are less than an hour away.)
Since I had 12 rounds of strong chemotherapy 8 years ago, I frequently get a "soapy" taste from cilantro and other flavors. 
[googles] Yes, Wegman's does have fresh cilantro for 99¢/bunch and organic for $1.99/bunch. 
I'll try the cilantro next time and report back.🙃

• Hugs 4
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If by "go with" you mean marry, in my case: because every guy I was crazy about was always crazy about someone else.
And I had 2 kids (one was his).
So. No. It doesn't make sense.
But it happened a lot, and maybe still does.

Of the men my age in the U.S., 50K died in Vietnam and another 50K committed suicide when they returned. So I figured my prince charming was gone, and if I wanted to be married, I'd have to not be so picky.
This is probably an irrelevant statistic, but it was a common excuse at the time, and not entirely unrelated to my experiences.

I assume the same thing after ww 2. Not many men left then either, women married who was left.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
23 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Are there no large Asian supermarkets near you?  I guess it’s all demographics.  There are several not far from me and they’re on Instacart (and have their own app as well), so I can get things like Chinese barbecue, hot pot ingredients and Hong Kong style pastries with just a few taps or clicks.  Some small shops are around as well and definitely NOT in dicey areas (downtown Chinatown used to be like that but it’s cleaned up in the past 15 or so years.  Now the most of the weirdos are university kids since it’s close to two schools).  Outside of students and people who work in the financial district, the Chinese communities typically stick with the suburbs (loads more “authentic” stores and restaurants there). 

I’m in NY a ton of Asian groceries. I love trying new things. I found so many yummy foods. Their meat counter is awesome. 

• Like 5
13 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Damn .. you mean I missed something?  Maybe I can find an old geezer to see the difference to what I have now, lol.

Try men from Utah 🤣🤣🤣. Very repressed? Is that the definition. 

• Useful 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

When those women come up to me in Macy's holding a perfume spray I run the other way, LOL.  Before menopause I didn't have any of these issues.

Hah! Same! 
I'm imagining us getting approached by an overly enthusiastic perfume lady in Macy's as we look at each other and yell: Run!

But even as a kid I would get migraines from being in my very cool, but also highly-scented aunt's apartment.
And also as a small child, I would get an itchy red rash if I washed my hands with Cashmere Bouquet soap.

But I was okay with some scents. As a teen I used to have a little creme perfume containers of Tuberose perfume, but this was in the 1960s when scents weren't all duplicated synthetically, so maybe it wouldn't be the same today.
As an adult, a very wealthy friend always wore nauseatingly overpowering perfume, but it didn't attack my sinuses, so maybe it was made from expensively sourced natural materials.

After each pregnancy I seemed to get more and more sensitive to fragrances. On Google scholar I can't find studies of the allergy-related effects upon mothers by sharing blood with their babies in utero — just upon the babies. I guess there would be too many variables with the mothers? 

But then, yes, @Yeah No, after menopause, I could barely stand to sit next to a very dear, and also very frugal coworker who always wore lots of (presumably) cheap perfume, even for an outdoor event. I had to make up an excuse to sit upwind of her on her other side.

BTW, I recently switched to Desert Essence Fragrance Free Shampoo.
The link is to Amazon, but I first got it in a hippy grocery store my daughter thought I'd like.  
I'd been using DHS fragrance free shampoo for many years, but as it's list of chemical ingredients has grown, it's become more irritating to my skin and scalp.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, nokat said:

I was in an elevator and then a hallway with a woman who used a generous amount of perfume. I could smell her from 20 feet away.

I try to get fragrance free products.

Me too especially with facial products like cleansers, face creams and makeup.

36 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Are there no large Asian supermarkets near you?  I guess it’s all demographics. 

The only large Asian market near me is the one I mentioned in the neighborhood I avoid.  There have been too many gun incidents recently nearby and more all the time making the news.  I used to go there more often.  I've tried smaller markets and they haven't had it.  I could probably try more but it would involve driving to all these little towns in the area.  I love H Mart but the closest one is an hour away.  I could ask my husband to look for it when he's down in NYC but sometimes that's hard for him because of the nature of his work.  I wish I were near more markets like that around here but this area is weird about a lot of things unfortunately.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah! Same! 
I'm imagining us getting approached by an overly enthusiastic perfume lady in Macy's as we look at each other and yell: Run!

LOL, I've been known to make the "cross" sign with my fingers like I'm repelling the devil as I skulk away, LOL.  Then I explain why I can't indulge them.

10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But then, yes, @Yeah No, after menopause, I could barely stand to sit next to a very dear, and also very frugal coworker who always wore lots of (presumably) cheap perfume, even when we were seated outside for the students' graduation. I had to make up an excuse to sit upwind of her on her other side.

Before menopause I sat near an older coworker who couldn't tolerate the smell of Lysol spray cleaner so I had to stop using it to clean my file cabinets, etc. and find something else.  It gave her headaches.  That happens to me now!  I have had to find fragrance free products or stick with the products whose fragrances don't bother me.

14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

BTW, I recently switched to Desert Essence Fragrance Free Shampoo.
The link is to Amazon, but I first got it in a hippy grocery store my daughter thought I'd like.  
I'd been using DHS fragrance free shampoo for many years, but as it's list of chemical ingredients has grown, it's become more irritating to my skin and scalp.

I've recently found a few good low or no fragrance shampoos that don't bother my now sensitive scalp.  They also don't aggravate eczema and help stimulate hair growth and volumize too.  Keranique makes one and Vanicream.  They're not cheap but worth it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

Best sensitive shampoo I found was in a dollar tree. Don’t laugh but it’s really good and leaves my hair soft and fluffy lol. I do not even need a conditioner.

And I don’t like perfume either. Some men use the cheap body spray that I can smell from a half a block away.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Best sensitive shampoo I found was in a dollar tree.

What brand is it?

Isn't Dollar Tree one of those stores that gets its inventory from whatever stores are in the area looking to sell off overstocked items? 

Or is that a thing of the past? 

In Sacramento in the late 90s I would get really high-end stuff at the Ross's store in the mall that also had a Neiman Marcus, but the Ross's down the street from my condo was trash.

25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

What brand is it?

Isn't Dollar Tree one of those stores that gets its inventory from whatever stores are in the area looking to sell off overstocked items? 

In Sacramento in the late 90s I would get really high-end stuff at the Ross's store in the mall that also had a Neiman Marcus, but the Ross's down the street from my condo was trash.

Dollar Tree has their own private brands.  Their cosmetics and personal care aisles are mostly their private brands, branded products in smaller sizes made exclusively for them, and a bit of that overstock from other retailers with their private brands dominating the shelves.  The overstock drug store items now show up at TJ Maxx and Marshalls.  I think it has to do with the rising cost of drugstore brands.  If it costs CVS and Walgreens more to get the merchandise, then they are going to look to another retailer who is willing to spend more on the overstock.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

What brand is it?

I think it’s their brand. It’s a small tube of shampoo, blue color tube. 

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Useful 2

I got this from a 23 and Me analysis of the genetic markers for liking/disliking cilantro:

Cilantro taste in 23andMe customers

Cilantro soapy-taste by ancestry

Ashkenazi Jewish 14.1%

Southern European 13.4%

Northern European 12.8%

African-American 9.2%

Latino 8.7%

East Asian 8.4%

South Asian 3.9%

Sex differences in cilantro taste perception

Female vs. Male

Tastes soapy 57% F vs. 43% M

Doesn’t taste soapy 49% F vs. 51% M

Humans have hundreds of receptors that send signals to our brains to produce what we recognize as aromas and flavors.

However, this is complex and differs from person to person. For example, the same chemical can be found in appealing.

They also discussed being a "supertaster". I always knew I was one intuitively but it was nice to get confirmation of that from my DNA.

• Like 1
  • Useful 6

That whole breakdown is fascinating.  I know "cilantro tastes like soap" is genetic because I get it from my dad.  Or to be more specific, it tastes like someone sprayed Chanel #5 in my mouth.  The aldehydes in cilantro taste like how the aldehydes in Chanel #5 smell.  

Now to go off on another tangent, I do want to know where 23andMe divides Europe.  Seeing them breakdown Europe into Northern and Southern is different.  I'm more used to it being divided along the east-west axis or subdivided even further into different regions.  

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m in such a foul mood today. I don’t know how to cheer myself up. Can I go outside and scream it out lol.

I think you'll have a better outcome screaming into a pillow. 👮🏻‍♂️🚔🚨🚑

Or sing Christmas songs in the shower.

• Like 4
(edited)

I suppose the cilantro is soapy/not soapy has to do with a region's cuisine.  Cilantro is often used for steamed fish in Cantonese cuisine (along with green onions/scallions), so it being "soapy" is likely why it's so rare?  I won't eat cilantro straight up, but will if it's in broth/along with something else.  I use when I cook fish, even if it's baked or poached.

Edited by PRgal
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I suppose the cilantro is soapy/not soapy has to do with a region's cuisine.  Cilantro is often used for steamed fish in Cantonese cuisine (along with green onions/scallions), so it being "soapy" is likely why it's so rare?  I won't eat cilantro straight up, but will if it's in broth/along with something else.  I use when I cook fish, even if it's baked or poached.

From my experience, preparation does not matter.  The aldehydes in cilantro do not break down due to heat or acid.  I can taste them in dishes where dried coriander seeds are used and cooked though it's not as overpowering as fresh leaves.  It also does not matter what other big flavors used with it--raw onion, jalapeño, Thai basil, ginger, etc.  I will still taste soap plus those other flavors.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I love cilantro, and use it in a lot of dishes; I grow it in my garden, but sometimes need to get it at the store.  It's kind of an annoying herb to grow in a warm climate, because the temperature makes it bolt so quickly.  At least it's self-perpetuating; it goes to seed and new plants sprout up from that.

I love arugula, too.  I like pretty much all leafy greens.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I think you'll have a better outcome screaming into a pillow. 👮🏻‍♂️🚔🚨🚑

Or sing Christmas songs in the shower.

Run up and down the stairs screaming Cherries! Cherries! Cherries!-- I was actually told that once by someone who said it would relieve period cramps.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Run up and down the stairs screaming Cherries! Cherries! Cherries!-- I was actually told that once by someone who said it would relieve period cramps.

Did it?

• LOL 8
31 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Sadly, no.

Well. At least that's one less thing I don't have to regret not knowing about when I was younger.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Sadly, no.

I got told allergies were all in my head. As women, we were all told it was in our heads.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6
  • Angry 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, nokat said:

I got told allergies were all in my head. As women, we were all told it was in our heads.

My son goes to all of his wife's doctor's appointments, at her request. They don't listen to women.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Angry 5
  • Fire 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My son goes to all of his wife's doctor's appointments, at her request. They don't listen to women.

I guess her doctors are all men. I've tried to have all female physicians. But today, it's so hard to get an appt (w/o having to wait over a month 🤬) that I now see a few men. Altho' I must admit my spine surgeon at Georgetown is male, but I found out why he's so kind & patient: he grew up with an older sister! She's a pediatric dentist (my PCP told me all this).

• Like 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

That makes me remember, I have seen this today, I think you will all appreciate it:

c0895f3045170b65c08cd8197d2ea6e29388aeab

Excellent point but that should be told to children of BOTH genders and it also applies to those who try to spin teasing bullying as a sign of 'friendship'!

• Like 15
45 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Excellent point but that should be told to children of BOTH genders and it also applies to those who try to spin teasing bullying as a sign of 'friendship'!

Yes. And I'll include practical jokes as well. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's a great idea.  I should do that.  It would also likely prevent some of the disrespect I've felt from male doctors.  I have a good male friend.  I've told him of my experiences with male doctors and he shakes his head tells me that he's never been treated like that by any doctor.  I can't get over some of his stories.  It's like they roll out the red carpet when he comes in.  And we go to some of the same medical practices too.

Although sadly, the not listening to women is not just a thing with men but some female doctors too.  It's more like they listen but act unconcerned and/or dismissive.  Although it's more uncommon with female doctors.  I love my primary doctor.  She listens and does not dismiss any of my concerns.  

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Although sadly, the not listening to women is not just a thing with men but some female doctors too.  It's more like they listen but act unconcerned and/or dismissive.

Yes, unfortunately that happens too. We are dismissed and not included in studies, so medications may not be right. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

First time my husband and I went into the room together at the cardiologists the other day.  The nurse yelled out my weight.  I’m not a fatty, but have gained some weight over the many years married.  He replies “i thought you weighed 115?”  Yeah, numnuts, that was when I was 21 before I had three kids.

🌸🌹🌼🌻💐🌺.   “HAPPY MOTHERS DAY”. Tomorrow.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I just gained an entire day!

I woke up entirely convinced it was Saturday and started planning my day accordingly.  It turns out it's not.

(Apologies to those of you who work M-F for whom gaining an extra work day would not be a thing to celebrate.)

• Like 9
21 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

First time my husband and I went into the room together at the cardiologists the other day.  The nurse yelled out my weight.  I’m not a fatty, but have gained some weight over the many years married.  He replies “i thought you weighed 115?”  Yeah, numnuts, that was when I was 21 before I had three kids.

🌸🌹🌼🌻💐🌺.   “HAPPY MOTHERS DAY”. Tomorrow.

That is hilarious and I can so identify. My weight is top secret. I remember whispering it (and actually I was lying!) at the DMV when we moved and had to get new licenses. 

• LOL 4

I'm old enough to still feel indignant that they weigh you with all your clothes on at the doctor's office.
If you're a petite person, a 3-5 extra pounds of clothes is about 4% of your total weight. 
Plus, if you were a teen during the era of Twiggy…

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm old enough to still feel indignant that they weigh you with all your clothes on at the doctor's office.
If you're a petite person, a 3-5 extra pounds of clothes is about 4% of your total weight. 
Plus, if you were a teen during the era of Twiggy…

Why be indignant?  If it matters to you, subtract those few pounds.  The doctor wants consistency, so clothes on every time makes sense.  (Take off your shoes and outer layers and you'll be close enough every time.)  Plus there are other things that affect weight all the time -  coming straight from lunch and drinking a boatload of water expecting to have to pee in a cup, being pre-menstrual, etc.

A couple of pounds is not going to make a difference if one is so overweight that it may be affecting one's health. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1