Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Lots of musicals on this week.  High Society, Meet Me in St. Louie, etc.  Plus Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase.  

Where are you finding Meet Me in St. Louis? I can't find it on AMC. 

Nevermind, found it in its usual spot on TCM on Christmas Eve. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 3
37 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Where are you finding Meet Me in St. Louis? I can't find it on AMC. 

Nevermind, found it in its usual spot on TCM on Christmas Eve. 

I just watched it on the “Movie Channel”. (Ch. 113 New York).

• Like 1

Oh, no...I just learned that the Xmas song I despise was written & sung by "the cute one", dear, sweet Paul. There's an article at CNN re: hated Xmas songs and this was the first one listed. A musicologist said it's staccato and tinny (& it truly is 🥴). 

16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh, no...I just learned that the Xmas song I despise was written & sung by "the cute one", dear, sweet Paul.

If you mean Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime", that's not only one of the many Christmas songs I hate, I think it's one of the worst songs I've ever heard, period.  Despise isn't strong enough for how intensely I loathe it.  I'm not sure what is.  If that music starts while I'm shopping, I have to give serious thought to how much I really want what I'm in the store to buy.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

If you mean Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime", that's not only one of the many Christmas songs I hate, I think it's one of the worst songs I've ever heard, period.  Despise isn't strong enough for how intensely I loathe that song.  If that song comes on while I'm shopping, I have to give serious thought to how much I really want what I'm in that store to buy.

Yup...wonderful Paul McCartney (the creator of Let It Be, & Yesterday ) wrote and sang that awful song. I was glad to read that musicologist's brief critique, using the words "staccato" and "tinny" as that's what's so wrong and irritating about the song. It always makes my nerves jumpy.  

Here's one that used to be played a lot in Safeway and one day I almost left the store: Firework by Katy Perry. That constant high pitched, tinny (again), wail-y refrain, over and over and over almost did me in! 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Going back to the store to buy canoli dip and only finding one. I did find butter for $2.15 a pound and $1.59 goat cheese… but I wanted 5-6 canoli dips to freeze for later. 

Great prices.

Canoli dip is delicious. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I've never seen cannoli in dip form.  Interesting . . .

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yup...wonderful Paul McCartney (the creator of Let It Be, & Yesterday ) wrote and sang that awful song. I was glad to read that musicologist's brief critique, using the words "staccato" and "tinny" as that's what's so wrong and irritating about the song. It always makes my nerves jumpy.  

Here's one that used to be played a lot in Safeway and one day I almost left the store: Firework by Katy Perry. That constant high pitched, tinny (again), wail-y refrain, over and over and over almost did me in! 

I just glanced at a video of Firework, and there are scenes where someone appears to be plugging her ears. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Wink 3
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

You know you are an adult when you want to buy appliances haha. 

You know you're living on post-retirement income when replacing a broken toilet seat and an iron via online shopping (and comparing reviews) are the events of the day.

• Like 5
  • LOL 6
On 12/15/2023 at 8:26 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Well...can't find Holiday Inn or White Christmas on TV.  I love to watch those old movies just before Christmas. I no longer watch It's A Wonderful Life...watched it too many times over the years, I guess.  If I were smart, I'd have already bought these Fred Astaire/Bing Crosby/Danny Kaye movies 😁

The one holiday film I watch without fail every year, usually on Christmas Eve, is the version of A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim.  (It was released as Scrooge in Britain.)  I just love it; I think Alastair Sim does one of the very best portrayals of Ebenezer Scrooge.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1

I was doing some last Christmas shopping today- and noticed that even in the chain supermarkets and pharmacies, there are virtually no cards left for relatives. .but there ARE some for. . .pets.

I hope the Fidos and Fluffies out there   are amused at their humans reading said cards to them while they get their new chew toys and scratching posts,etc. unwrapped! 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You need an aluminum pole, then we air our grievances and have the feats of strength.

Too bad canned wine wasn't a thing back then.  If it were, the aluminum pole would have been made with that.  LOL

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Watching the SNL Christmas Special again. I admit I enjoy this so much I watch it more than once a holiday season if I can. :) I think I watched it twice last year too! 

Also watched The Sound of Music last week. It was my grandmother’s favorite movie so my family will always watch on ABC, commercials and all. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

All day I kept thinking, "What's today all about?" Now I remember. It's Festivus...for the rest of us! 

We now do it via email rather than sending cards, but a friend and I still exchange "Happy Festivus" greetings -- and, to further the Seinfeld theme, continue on to say "A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund.  (Money for People)". 

I finished wrapping presents last night, just took the last batch of cookies out of the oven, and now only need to open the kitchen windows so I can grate a horseradish root (tomorrow night's dinner will be beef tenderloin).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Love 5

I’m sleeping on the couch at Lambchop’s house after reading him the first chapter of Little Bear, “What Will Little Bear Wear?” and then tucking him into his toddler bed, while his parents played Euchre with friends.

He loves clothes, especially putting them on, both his own and other people’s.

I try to keep present exchanges low key. We all have too much stuff.

Edited by shapeshifter
hopefully put the apostrophe in the right place
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Watching the SNL Christmas Special again. I admit I enjoy this so much I watch it more than once a holiday season if I can. :) I think I watched it twice last year too! 

Also watched The Sound of Music last week. It was my grandmother’s favorite movie so my family will always watch on ABC, commercials and all. 

Speaking of The Sound of Music, there’s a “super deluxe” recording featuring Christopher Plummer’s vocals!  I’m not sure if it’s available in hard copy form yet, but it’s definitely streaming/digital purchase!  

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

That is so funny/so cute!  I'm envisioning a toddler draped in Daddy's clothes 🤗.

He managed to pull Daddy's black, silky boxers out of the clean laundry and wear them with both of his legs in one of the boxer legs — so like a skirt. 😇
He prefers my shoes because they are a bit shorter than Mommy and Daddy's, and I have them securely but loosely tied to go over the arthritis on top of my foot — so no tripping or wrestling them on for him either. 😊
He has an abundance of cute winter hats. A grandpa and step-grandma bought him a hat with blinking lights for the holidays that is surprisingly functional, as well as adorbs.😍

• Love 9

Merry Christmas to those who are celebrating, Hang in there, it's almost over to those who are just trying to get through this holiday that has somehow become a "season", and Have a nice day to those for whom this is just another Sunday.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Merry Christmas to those who are celebrating, Hang in there, it's almost over to those who are just trying to get through this holiday that has somehow become a "season", and Have a nice day to those for whom this is just another Sunday.

Yeah, I'm just trying to get through ti too. I've lost so much family and all the beloved traditions that I took so much for granted are gone as well. I'm just trying to hold it together.

• Hugs 20
36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I'm just trying to get through ti too. I've lost so much family and all the beloved traditions that I took so much for granted are gone as well. I'm just trying to hold it together.

I know what you mean. I’m all alone hence the alcohol and lasagna and pudding I’m trying to cheer myself up with carbs. I thought someone would invite me over but no one did. Oh well. 

Just hang in there ❤️

• Hugs 18
  • Love 1